Theme 269

VIXX 300 Theme Challenge
Title: Mermaid
Pairing: Chasang
Related Chapter: none
Word Count: 1059

                     

Sanghyuk knew that his kind was forbidden from making contact with humans. He’d grown up hearing that from his parents and brothers. He knew this from the time he was small.

It didn’t make it hurt any less as he watched the young human wandering the beach looking for a saviour that he’d never find.

A little over a week ago, Sanghyuk had found the man standing on the edge of a cliff, looking out on the water with a peaceful look on his face. For a moment, the young merman had thought the human planned to jump. His oldest brother had seen a human jump from that cliff before, trying to kill themselves so it wasn’t exactly a crazy idea.

But then the human had started to leave. Sanghyuk had smiled slightly, grateful that he wouldn’t have to witness a human fling themselves at the rocks below. And that was when the cliff gave out, rocks crumbling and sending the human down towards the water.

Sanghyuk heard the human scream in fear and rushed into action before he could even process what was happening.  Sanghyuk rushed through the water, knowing that he had to get to the human before he hit the water. If he hit the water, hit the rocks hidden just below its surface, then it would be over for him.

After building up enough momentum and speed, silently praying that his timing was right, Sanghyuk leapt into the air. Luck seemed to be on his side because he managed to catch the human, the impact knocking the air from the man’s lungs. But that didn’t matter to Sanghyuk. So long as the human was alive, a bit of bruising didn’t matter all that much.

But just to be sure that the human was alright, Sanghyuk glanced down at the man in his arms, locking eyes for a second before returning his attention to what he was doing. The human’s eyes showed no signs of pain or death, therefore he had to be alright. Right?

Sanghyuk had landed in the water, surfacing a few seconds later because he knew the human would need air. Looking down at the man in his arms, Sanghyuk’s heart fluttered. The human was gorgeous, handsome and y and perfect in a way Sanghyuk had never seen before.

He was also out cold.

Smiling softly, Sanghyuk swan to the edge of the water and left the human there. He wanted to go back, wanted to ensure that the human would be fine, but his family’s words had started to ring in his ears. He wasn’t supposed to do anything with humans.

And yet there Sanghyuk was, watching the human walking along the water’s edge.

He stood by his earlier assessment of the human; he was gorgeous.

Sanghyuk wanted to get closer, get a better look at the young man, but to do that he’d have to leave his hiding place and risk being seen. He was already going to get into trouble with his family if they found out what he’d done, if the man saw him it would just makes things worse.

And yet Sanghyuk couldn’t make himself feel bad around ducking under the water’s surface and swimming closer to the man. At one point the man looking in Sanghyuk’s direction and he froze, terrified that he’d been caught, but the man didn’t react indicating that he hadn’t seen the merman.

Sanghyuk dared to go even closer to the man, but froze once again when he heard someone yelling.

“Hakyeon,” a guy with white blond hair called, “come on, you aren’t going to find him.”

“Not today,” the man, Hakyeon, sighed, “but maybe tomorrow. Or the day after that.”

“Are you really going to keep coming here” the guy questioned, “each and every day until you find the guy who saved you?”

“Yep,” Hakyeon smiled, “he’s my soul mate after all.”

Sanghyuk’s jaw dropped at how easily Hakyeon called him his soul mate. Why would he call the merman that? Because he’d saved him? Sanghyuk had always been raised to treat the whole soul mate thing with supreme respect because it was a really big deal to his kind. And here was Hakyeon throwing those words around about a guy he hadn’t even spoken to once.

“Really?” the unnamed man frowned, seeming to share Sanghyuk’s thoughts on the matter, “you haven’t even spoken to him.”

“No,” Hakyeon admitted before flashing his friend a love struck smile, “but before I passed out I got a look at his eyes. I knew as soon as I looked into them that the owner of those eyes was mine.”

Sanghyuk blinked.

When it came to mermen and mermaids and finding your soul mate, eyes were beyond important. Just looking into another’s eyes for a split second was enough to tell you if you’d found your soul mate or not. Sanghyuk had been told by his parents that he would feel a pull when he locked eyes with his soul mate, a pull that never went away.

But he couldn’t recall feeling anything when he looked into Hakyeon’s eyes. Sure, he’d been rather focused on what he’d been doing, but wouldn’t the pull of finding his soul mate be noticeable? Sanghyuk defiantly felt drawn to Hakyeon now, but was that the effects of finding his soul mate? Couldn’t it just be curiosity?

Sanghyuk frowned, looking up to find Hakyeon walking away with his friend. He felt a small pain in his heart upon seeing Hakyeon leaving and gasped.

He really had found his soul mate, hadn’t he?

But his soul mate was human. He wasn’t human. How could they be soul mates when neither could survive for long in the other’s home?

“Sanghyuk?” the young merman turned to find his oldest brother, Taekwoon, swimming towards him, “what are you doing here? It’s dangerous, you could be spotted.”

“I found my soul mate, Taek,” Sanghyuk tried to smile.

“Really?” Taekwoon frowned, “then....why aren’t you happy?”

“He’s a human,” Sanghyuk sighed, turning his attention to where Hakyeon had been, “how can a human be my soul mate?”

“I don’t know,” Taekwoon said after a moment, “but I might know someone who will know.”

“Who?”

“Just come with me,” Taekwoon said, swimming away.

With one last look at where he’d last seen his soul mate, Sanghyuk followed his brother.

A/N: I like this one, that much is for sure, but I don’t see myself turning this into a full story (not as things stand now).