Yoona

And where was forever?

“Good Morning Mr Cho.”

“Just do whatever you all used to do. You can ignore my presence.”

He had never joined any of the shoots that the company had but he couldn’t resist not coming today. Over the past few days, she appeared every second in his mind after their last meeting. He found himself at the airport this morning coming to Jeju for the shoot.

He had to see her.

----------------------------------------------------------------

“Yonghwa Oppa, is Kyuhyun Oppa with you in Jeju?”

“Yes he came over this morning. Is there anything urgent that matters?”

“Oh no, it’s okay. Don’t tell him I called alright, he might think there is anything here and start worrying.”

----------------------------------------------------------------

She had been dreading this for the past five years.

Her coming back.

Yoona knows Kyuhyun well, and she can even swear, she knows him better than anyone else in the world. And that is why, she knew he was never over Seohyun. And she knew, if Seohyun were to be back, he might leave her forever.

At the thought of him leaving, she was all the rage towards Seohyun. The pretty, smart, adorable Seohyun. The girl who took away Kyuhyun’s heart. She was envious of everything she had, especially Kyuhyun’s heart. But she couldn’t be angry towards her because she did nothing wrong but towards herself, she was guilty about her lies.

Her lies that broke them apart.

 

When she was 5, she thought Kyuhyun was her forever. Their parents were the best of friends. They attended the same prestigious pre school and they took riding classes and piano classes together. Kyuhyun would play her favourite family game with her, with her dolls as their children, her as Mummy and Kyuhyun was daddy. They would snuggle up in the tents outside in the summer holidays when she went over to stay even though they had comfortable beds inside home and falling asleep in front of the fireplace in the winter. They even bathed together, even though her parents were not willing but she was more than happy to be playing bubbles with her Oppa in the tub.

When she was 10, they were both in elementary school, and they were the well known couple duo. When the young boys tried to hold her hands when lining up, Kyuhyun will be there to snatch her hand away. When the girls were surrounding Kyuhyun to give him banana milk, she was there to accept them all and pull him away. They studied together and Kyuhyun had always top the school while Yoona settled for the second place. They were the most admirable little couple in school.

And it was all the same. He was the one there to protect her whenever she fell and got upset and she was the one who was there for him when his father was upset with him for not getting the maximum grades in school.

They all had their puppy crushes that they told each other but they were never in any form of love relationship. She thought that they would be forever, she was going to married Kyuhyun and they were going to be a family altogether after all.

But when they were 18 and attended high school, it was the first time she saw Kyuhyun smile and blush. He had a few eye candys way back in middle school, but he was different this time round. He was always on the alert when the girl walked past him, trying to find out things from her about the girl. He made her befriend the girl to know more about her.

Yoona was the heart throb in school. Always well groomed, fine features and a perfect figure. Seohyun, on the other hand, was a quiet and reserved girl, wearing a pair of geeky red spectacles but her beauty shines none the less under those pigtails and heavy spectacles. She was 2 years younger than them, but got to advance to high school due to her exceptional results. On Kyuhyun’s request, she sat beside her in class with Kyuhyun sitting behind them.

On her 18thbirthday, she invited Seohyun over to her party, and of course, Kyuhyun was there too, looking great in his suit . Seohyun appeared in her usual plain clothings and spectacles when everyone was dressed up in cocktail dresses. She saw Kyuhyun bringing her aside, and bringing her out of the party to the inside of the house while motioning her to come along. “Help her dress up, it’s too awkward to let her be in overalls here.”

She had no choice but to dress her up. With her spectacles gone and her hair down, she looks completely different. With a light touch of makeup and donned in a dress and heels, she was sparkling. Like a rare gem.

When they re-entered the party, she could feel everyone focusing their eyes on the girl beside her. Seohyun was gorgeous, like a goddess in disguise. In the corner of her eye, she saw Kyuhyun goggling at Seohyun with his mouth open.

 

 

After the party, Seohyun came up to my room to change while thanking me profusely. Kyuhyun was waiting outside the door while he said to her ‘Let me drive you home.’ With that, he place his suit over her shoulders and his arms over it, leading her towards the door.

Her heart drops as she saw him chuckling on the way out. She knew Seohyun was different from the other girls that were in his heart, and she refused to believe the others include her.

Then things started to change.

Seohyun was the new heart throb being the new perfect goddess in the world. Tying in first place with Kyuhyun in exams, she was not doubt the best brains in school. After the party, Seohyun started to speak out more, and the 3 of them became good friends. Her, Seohyun and Kyuhyun. Seohyun started wearing lenses, letting her locks down and she had also realized that Kyuhyun was always busy on the phone texting away and giggling himself. He had place away his starcraft for a whole week, busy planning for Seohyun’s birthday and painstakingly making paper stars for her with his clumsy fingers, writing encouraging words inside. ‘So cliché’ she chided him while he shakes his head and insisted it was his heart since he had never made anything himself before. On Seohyun’s birthday, the 3 of them went to the amusement park and Kyuhyun told her to go home first. ‘I have something prepared for her Yoona.’

She knew what it was, and her heart shattered into pieces. She went back home crying in the car.

He never knew how she felt about him.

The next day, Kyuhyun came over to her house knowing she was sick. ‘Yoona ah, we are finally together! Seohyun said yes! She love the mega lollipop and the bottle of paper stars I made. You will support me right? My dear sister Yoona ah, I need to find you a boyfriend too.’

He never knew all she wanted was him beside her.

Months passed then years. She had slowly drifted away from Kyuhyun but she was always there for him. When they had quarrels, she was there to offer her advices on girl’s mindset and thinking. When Seohyun’s parents died, she helped Kyuhyun out in the funeral and also helping Seohyun stand up again. When Kyuhyun went to the army, she promised Kyuhyun to look over Seohyun.  And finally, the news she dreaded to her. They were getting married.

She promised to be their bridesmaid and she stood on the altar with Kyuhyun, but she was gazing at him for the side of it. Her groom, was holding another girl’s hand, saying his vows, and kissing his bride.

She held back her tears. He never knew about her love.

She graduated from her masters while Kyuhyun was already helping out in his father’s listed company. Her parents wanted her to take over the company, but she refused and wanted to work with Kyuhyun. She went over to Cho Limited to be Kyuhyun’s assistant. Her parents were raged at her decision after studying for so many years and Kyuhyun too was shocked by her decisions but she insisted and she knew her mother knew about her secret love. “Yoona ah, what’s yours is yours. If it’s not yours, why hold on to it?”

She knew her mother was talking about Kyuhyun and she knew he was married, nothing’s going to change that. But she just wanted to be beside him, that’s all.

And she was there for their first year of marriage, helping Kyuhyun brainstorm on what to do on anniversaries and birthdays, choosing gifts together and helping Kyuhyun gain foothold in the company showing his capabilities as the next successor in line.

Kyuhyun’s father was a strict man with rules in his life. He did not trust Kyuhyun with his company and Kyuhyun was struggling with his presence. He was pulling all-nighters and going through projects and cases and he was all stressed out on failed deals. She was always there for him, giving out ideas and helping with his deals.

And one night in Guam when they were there for a failed business deal, he was drunk. He didn’t know what happened but he was barging into her room in their shared villa. He started kissing her passionately, his leg separating hers against the wall. His kisses trailed down to her collarbone and his fingers pushed her nightgown off her body. She was and trembling. His eyes were closed and his fingers moving down to her chest, then to her core. It was her first time and she was scared but she didn’t want to let the moment slip away. For that moment, Kyuhyun was loving her and she loved him. When he finally entered her body, she was screaming in agony due to the pain but he was holding her and kissing her tears away. Then, ‘Seohyun ah, I love you so much’.

He thought she was Seohyun all along. Her tears crept out as she knew, she was just a substitute as he was drunk after all.

And that faithful morning, she woke before him and sat on the chair looking at the man she had loved for the entire life. The man who had with her, not the man who made love with her. He was making love with Seohyun, not her.

He woken up in distressed at his torso and looking over at her sitting on the bed next to him, and trembling. He was shocked and started apologizing while she threw her arms over him, telling him about her love that was for him all along. She cried in his chest as his arms were confused whether should he hug her and console her, or push her away. The girl she had always trusted as a friend and sister.

They agreed to not mention anything about the night and she saw him scooping Seohyun up in his arms when the landed in Korea.

They never talked about that night in Guam, ever.

However, the marriage that she was always envious of took a turn in their second year. Kyuhyun was still fighting for deals for the company and his father’s rejection of his ideas was a painful ordeal everytime for him. He started spending a lot of time in the office and she also knew about the fights and quarrels that Kyuhyun no longer had the patience to deal with at home with Seohyun. One night, she received a call from the pub he frequents and she had to drive him back home. Instead of home, she took him over to her apartment as she stares at his sleeping face. The man she loves. She knew it wasn’t right of her, but she wanted to be his again. She slowly undressed him as he took her in his arms in his drunken state. She was his that night again.

And the night turned into many nights after that. Kyuhyun came over drunk after a failed deal or any quarrels with Seohyun. He seldom returned home and she had also received calls from Seohyun but she never told her where he really was. ‘I think he is at the office, there is too much work to do.’ Sometimes when he came over drunk, he will hug her in his arms as she consoled him, wiping his frustrated tears and cuddling him like a baby. Other times, he will undressed her and make passionate love to her.

Until they were a week from Seohyun’s 24thbirthday. She had booked Seohyun’s favourite restaurant under his name, and that night, she knew she was going to be alone. When she was reminding Kyuhyun about it that night when he came over, he told her that he was sorry. ‘Yoona ah, I hate myself for doing this. I don’t know why in the first place am I in this position that I am now. I am doing wrong to both you and Seohyun and I am hurting both of you and I don’t wanna do that anymore. I am sorry Yoona ah, you have a lot of better choices out there. I am sorry but I cannot hurt any of you anymore.’

Her world collapses.

She trembles as she felt herself struggling to pull herself up and before she knew, she had already said it.

‘Kyuhyun Oppa. What about our baby?’

----------------------------------------------------------------

5 years ago, on Seohyun’s birthday, he came over to her apartment with his bags of clothes and told her that he was going to be their baby’s father.

But she couldn’t bear to tell him that, there was no baby in the first place. Kyuhyun had always been careful with his protection and there was no way she could have his baby.

But he was here now, and that’s all she has to know.

A month later, she staged a fall and had the doctor mentioned the loss of their baby. She cried, not for the acting for the baby, but at her outward lies that she knew she was guilty of. Kyuhyun snuggled her and comforted her for the loss, kissing her tears and telling her they could have a baby the next time. She comforted herself that it’s now her and Kyuhyun and the life she had been dreaming since she was five. Her in his arms, him kissing her like she was his. He had officially signed the divorce papers, and she felt like the past 6 years were a dream and it was like Seohyun and his love never existed.

For the next 5 years, she helped Kyuhyun with his work and setting up of his own company after Kyuhyun mentioned he had enough of his father’s complaints. They set up Cho Holdings together and they started off small with minimal deals and a group of 30 workers that had transferred along from Cho Limited to Cho Holdings with Kyuhyun. Within 2 years, they expanded into a listed company with 500 workers working underneath.

They were the best partners, best lovers in the eyes of everybody.

But she knew, he had never once forgotten about Seohyun.

He always took prawns for her, though she was allergic. He would return occasionally with pints of Baskin Robbins, leaving them in the freezer, but they end up in the bin when she realized they were past expiry. He stops and stares at the Keroro dolls in the mall, close his eyes and walked away. 

She knew they were all Seohyun’s favourites.

Even when he groans out Seohyun’s name when he was inside her.

It was painful but she would look on the other way. For the past 5 years, their parents have been asking for a marriage and she had been waiting for him to pop his question.

But he had never once said the three words that she needed to hear from him. She knew it all, but it doesn’t matter.

He was here, and that was all that matters.

But now, Seohyun is back. And she wasn’t that sure anymore.