One Day

An Unexpected Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Love is when the other person’s happiness is more important than your own…”

Dear Diary,

One day, 24 hours. Am I asking too much from him? I was the one who pushed him away and I was also the one who wanted him to come closer to me. I started to feel annoyed by myself. Everything started to shake and waver when we met again after 9 years. It felt like the old flame started to rekindle again. Or maybe I was wrong? The fire in us has never been died down before.

He gave me 3 presents during this year birthday. All of it were sweet and touching enough to melt my frozen heart. I’m very scared. I’m afraid that if he takes another step closer, I’ll give up and run into his embrace. I started to become greedy and selfish. I wanted to see him every day, every hour, every minute, and every second. I wanted to ignore whoever that were stopping us together and just fight for him once and for all. Can I? I don’t know. If I really do it, I know the road in front of us will be very hard and it might hurt a lot of people in the process. But if I don’t, I’m afraid I’ll regret this time.  

Love,

Shin Hye

 

--------------------------------------------------------

 

Park Shin Hye let out a soft laugh when she saw her daughter trying so hard to force herself not to sleep. Her head was dropping with her eyes half opened, kept looking at the clock. Shin Hye looked at the clock and it was 11.30pm already. She switched her laptop off and walked over the couch. She sits down beside So Won and gently pulled her over to let her laid her head on her laps. She brushed the strands of hair that was covering her face.

“So Won-ah. Let’s go back to the room to sleep, eo?” Shin Hye said softly.

So Won shook her head with her eyes closed. “I need to wait for 12am to wish eomma happy birthday. I did it every year when we were in Busan. This is the first year eomma celebrate your birthday in Seoul. I must stay awake until 12am. I want to be the first one to wish eomma.”

Shin Hye laughed softly as she caressed her cheek. “Silly girl. Of course you will be the first one to wish eomma. I don’t have any friend here.”

So Won opened her eyes slightly. “You have ahjuhma, Doctor Song and… appa. I’m worried they will send message to your phone to wish you first.”

Shin Hye sighed. “Let’s go to sleep first and later eomma wake you up at 12am, okay? It’s only 11.30pm now.”

“It’s okay. I can just nap on eomma’s laps. Remember to wake me up if I really fall asleep.” So Won reminded her mother again.

“Arasso.” Shin Hye said with a smile.

After a while, So Won jumped up from her mother’s lap and widened her eyes when she heard the doorbell rang. She looked at the clock and it was only 11.40pm. She then turned to Shin Hye. “Who will come here so late?”

Shin Hye tried to hide her smile and shrugged her shoulder. “I don’t know. Why not So Won go to open the door and check who is standing behind that door.”

So Won nodded as she made her way to the door and opened it. She was now fully awake with fell open in surprise. “Appa!”

Min Ho laughed at his daughter reaction before he stepped into the house. “You looked surprise.”

“Appa. What are you doing here at this hour? I thought you will only come tomorrow.” So Won asked, still looking shocked.

“Hrmmm… I think you should ask your mother.” He said as he looked at Shin Hye with a slight smile.

Shin Hye looked away, blushed a little as she walked towards them. She slowly looked at Min Ho. “I thought you are not coming but you are early. It’s not even 12am yet.” She said softly.

Min Ho held his hand up and showed her the cake he was holding. “I don’t want to be late. And you are right. I wouldn’t miss the opportunity to spend a whole day with So Won and…” He paused as he mouthed the word at her silently. “You.”

Shin Hye looked at his eyes as she let out a smile.

----------

“One day with only So Won, you… and I.” Shin Hye said, looking expectantly at Min Ho.

He was quite taken aback by what she requested from him. This is so not her. The Shin Hye he knew would not ask him for something like this. He took another step forward, bringing their distance even closer now. “Do you know what you are asking from me? One whole day? 24 hours? Do you know in that short period of time, anything could happen. I can’t promise you that I’ll stay controlled.”

Shin Hye bit her lip harder, trying to stay calm. He was standing dangerously close to her and she can feel his breathing fanning on her face. “Of course you have the right to refuse my request. But this is a great opportunity for you to spend a whole day with… So Won.”

Min Ho smiled as he nodded his head. He then took a step backward. “Let me think about it.” He turned around and walked away.

Shin Hye looked surprised by his reaction. “So it’s a yes or no?” She asked from behind.

“We will see.” Min Ho grinned as he continued to walk away.

----------

“Ta-da.” Min Ho took the cover off and showed them the birthday cake.

“Wow! It’s eomma’s favourite strawberry cake. It’s so beautiful.” So Won said excitedly.

“Do you like it?” Min Ho asked, looking expectantly at Shin Hye.

She nodded with a sweet smile. “It’s very beautiful. Thank you.”

Min Ho’s eyes twinkled with happiness as he took a candle and place it in the cake. He slowly light up the candle and turned to So Won. He carried her over and seated her on his laps. “Let’s sing a birthday song for your eomma.”

So Won nodded happily.

“One, two, three.” Min Ho counted.

“Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday to eomma, happy birthday to you.”

“Yeah!” Min Ho and So Won clapped their hands at the same time. “Faster make a wish.”

Shin Hye let out a wide smile as she entwined both her palms together and closed her eyes. Please let me find the compatible bone marrow for So Won as soon as possible. Appa and eomma stay healthy. And… wish Min Ho to be happy forever. She wished silently as she opened her eyes and blew the candle.

So Won leaned towards her mother and planted a soft kiss on her cheek. “Happy birthday, eomma.”

Shin Hye cupped her tiny face and kissed her forehead. “Thank you my dear daughter.” She was then startled when Min Ho leaned towards her and kissed her on the cheek too. “The clock is now starts ticking.” He whispered in her ear. “Happy birthday.” Shin Hye’s face blushed immediately.

So Won laughed cheekily as she jumped off from her father’s lap. She walked towards Min Ho’s overnight bag and turned to him. “Appa, are you going to stay here for tonight?” She asked as she pointed at his bag.

Min Ho walked over to his daughter and squatted down as he wrapped her in his arms. “Yes darling. I’m going to stay here for tonight.” He paused and leaned closer to So Won. “Your eomma wanted me to stay here tonight. I can’t say no, right?” He whispered in her ear.

So Won laughed as she nodded. “So appa is going to sleep with me tonight.”

Shin Hye put the cake into the fridge and turned to them. “So Won-ah. It’s very late now. You have to sleep already. Faster go inside the room now.”

So Won pouted her lips and looked at her father.

Min Ho pinched her nose softly. “Don’t worry. Appa promise you will still see me when you wake up tomorrow. Your eomma said you wanted to go Lotte World, right. If you don’t sleep now, I don’t think you can wake up tomorrow and go with us.”

So Won widened her eyes. “Chincha? Appa, So Won love you so much.”

Min Ho laughed. “Okay, now let’s appa bring you to bed. Kaja.”

 

“You still don’t want to sleep yet? So Won slept already.”

Shin Hye looked up from her laptop when she heard Min Ho’s voice. She closed her laptop and stood up of the chair. “I’m just doing some editing work. It’s done now.” She pointed at the room and looked at him awkwardly. “You sleep in the room with So Won tonight. I’ll sleep on the couch.”

Min Ho narrowed his eyes at her as he walked closer to her. “I thought we will all sleep together. You said you want one day with only 3 of us.” He said and stopped in front of her.

“I-I mean w-we spend time together… n-not sleep together.” Shin Hye stuttered.

“Are you afraid I’ll do something to you?” Min Ho asked as he leaned closer to her.

Shin Hye bit her lower lip nervously. 

“Don’t worry. So Won is sleeping there in the same room. I can’t do anything to you.” He laughed and walked away towards his overnight bag on the couch.

She let out a sigh as she walked to the kitchen. She poured a glass of water and took a big sip of it, trying to cool herself down. Her heart was beating so fast since he came and her breathing was abnormally heavy. She put the glass down but before she could turn around, she let out a startled gasp when Min Ho brought a medium size teddy bear near to her face from behind. His other hand was wrapped around her waist.

“Yah!” Shin Hye wanted to free herself from him but it only make him hugged her tighter.

“A little present for you. Happy birthday.” Min Ho whispered into her ear.

She let out a deep sigh before looking at the teddy bear now. Her eye’s widened when she looked at it clearly. The cream colour teddy bear was wearing a school uniform like the one they wear in their high school and Min Ho’s school name tag was pinned on the teddy bear’s chest. She slowly took the teddy bear from his hand and caressed it softly.

“Where did you get this? The uniform looked like the one we wear in Whimoon High School.” Shin Hye asked.

“It was really not easy for me to find it since I only got the name tag and know about your little secret this morning.” Min Ho smiled as he rested his chin on her shoulder. “From now on, you can look at the teddy bear when you miss me. I think it will be better than just looking at my name tag, right?”

Shin Hye bit her lip as she looked at the teddy bear. “I shouldn’t have trust So Won. She is just as tricky as you.”

He laughed softly as he tightened his arms around her waist. He let out a sigh and closed his eyes. “I hope this one day will never end.”

 

So Won was sleeping soundly in between Min Ho and Shin Hye. Min Ho was wrapping his long arm around both of them. His gaze never leaves Shin Hye’s face. Although the room was dark, but with the street light from outside shined in through the window, he still could see Shin Hye’s eyes glistened in the dark room.

“Why are you not sleeping?” Min Ho whispered very softly.

“Because you keep looking at me.” Shin Hye answered.

Min Ho looked deep into her eyes. “I don’t want to close my eyes. I’m worried all this is just a dream. I wanted to savour this moment as long as I can.” 

Shin Hye let out a soft sigh. “You are always good in your sweet talking.”

“Do you like to hear it? I can keep talking if you are willing to extend this one day to forever.” He said in a soft but serious tone.

She sighed again before she brought her hand to his face and caressed it softly. “Can you feel my warmth? I’m real. You are not dreaming.”

Min Ho grasped her hand from his face and put it on his lips as he kissed it softly. “Can we stay like this forever? With So Won, you and I?”

“You are very greedy. Forever is a very long time.” She paused as she took a deep breath. “I already felt very grateful to have a moment like this with you.”

“You can be greedier, you know. I’m willing to give you more days of my life.” He keep convincing her, doesn’t want to give up.

Shin Hye looked at him. “You already have her. She is your fiancée.”

“The one I wanted to have is not her. It has never been her.” He said.

She just looked at him without saying anything.

Min Ho planted another kiss on her hand before he placed it on his chest. “I love you.” He uttered softly.

A tear escaped from Shin Hye eyes. She bit her lip hard, trying to control herself from sobbing. She closed her eyes and pulled her hand away from him. “Good night.” She replied.

 

----------------------------------------------------------

 

“Yah, Park So Won. Have you forgotten what I told you?” Shin Hye shouted from behind as So Won was holding on Min Ho’s hand, running towards the teacup ride. Both of them quickly stopped and turned back to look at Shin Hye.

She glared at So Won as she walked to her. She took a handkerchief out from her handbag and kneeled down in front of her daughter. She gently wiped the sweat off her face and sighed. “Park So Won. No running and jumping around like this. You just got the blood transfusion yesterday. You shouldn’t get yourself overly exhausted and excited. Have you forgotten how you passed out in the hospital? You have to stay calm.”

So Won looked up at her father with her lips pouted. Min Ho smiled as he squatted down beside them. He looked at Shin Hye. “You should be the one who calm down. I’m here with her and I’ll make sure everything is okay with her. Don’t worry. We should relax and enjoy our day together. This is the first time So Won come to Lotte World. It’s normal for her to be happy and get excited.” Min Ho turned back to his daughter and winked. So Won nodded and looked at her mother anxiously.

Shin Hye let out a long sigh. “Just make sure you don’t make yourself too tired.”

So Won let out a sweet smile. “Can I try the teacup ride? I heard my friends talking about it so many times and I really want to try. Can I?”

Shin Hye looked over at the Drunken Basket and looked back at her with a worried look. “That teacup ride seems spinning very fast. You will be dizzy. Can we try other ride? Erm… how about the monorail? It will take us both inside and outside to watch the whole Lotte World. It won’t be too tiring and we can just sit there, enjoying the scenery.”

So Won didn’t protest but just looked down, disappointed.

Min Ho shook his head with a sigh. Without waiting for another second, he carried So Won up and held Shin Hye’s hand in his, pulling her towards the teacup ride.

“Yah, Lee Min Ho. Your daughter cannot…” She stopped mid-sentence when Min Ho stopped his steps and turned to her.

“Just stop nagging already.” Min Ho with a grin on his face. “You sounded like a naggy wife now.”

Shin Hye’s eyes widened as her face reddened. “Y-Yah! W-Who is your wife?”

Min Ho narrowed his eyes at her. “Did I say you are my wife?” His lips pursed into a mischievous grin. “But you know I’m more than willing to be your husband.”

“If you don’t want your arm to get a big smack, you better stop talking nonsense now.” Shin Hye glared at him, blushing.

So Won covered from laughing out loudly with her tiny hand. She loves seeing her mother blushing. Her face always turned red whenever her father was with them.

Min Ho let out a soft smile before squeezing her hand softly. “Okay, I’ll stop. Let’s bring our daughter to ride the teacup then. Kaja.”

Shin Hye sighed as she was pulled towards the ride together with them.

 

“Appa. I want to ride the merry-go-round. I saw that in a drama.” She let go of her father’s hand and ran over to stand behind the long queue.

Min Ho turned to look at Shin Hye when he heard her sigh. “What is wrong with merry-go-round? It’s a slow ride and perfectly safe.”

“She shouldn’t be running and overly excited like this. Her body and heart couldn’t take it.” She looked at him. “I’m just worried.”

Min Ho smiled softly as he took her hand in his again, looking deep into her eyes. “Please stop worrying just for today. I told you I’m here. I won’t let anything happen to both of you. I’ll make her stop if her body cannot stand it.” He brought his oth

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter