06

Always

 

 



“So you’re saying that she got jealous because she thought…You and I are─” Jongin looks at Taeyeon with a question look on his face, pointing himself as he the straw on his cola.


 

Yeah something like that” Taeyeon smirked, scratching the nape of her neck, looking at the ground. She wasn’t really sure if Tiffany was really jealous of her being friends with Jongin or jealous because she thought there was something between them.


 

Tae, I think your bestfriend likes you!”

Yeah, like your telling me pigs have wings and they can fly.”

Seriously Tae, your bestfriend likes you─”

Jongin stop that. I don’t want to get my hopes up.”

Sorry I’m just saying. I mean why would she get jealous if she just thinks of you as a bestfriend?”

Because she knows you’re dumb and she’s just protective of me.” She punched Jongin’s arm. He shrieked and smoothed his arm to make the pain go away.

Tae, that hurts─” He groans in pain.


 

Then stop being stupid, I don’t want to think that way…” Taeyeon paused, she sighed. “It will just hurt me, Jongin.” Yes, she knew she will just get hurt if she assumes that Tiffany likes her not just a bestfriend context, but liking her like the way she does. She thinks what Jongin said was a total bogus reality. Such fantasies she's dreaming of since the day she met Tiffany, the girl whom she loves most and breaks her heart at the same time. Tiffany really has a big impact on her, making her do stupid things, making her go crazy for her, and loving her unconditionally. If other people would be in her place, facing a dramatic unrequited love story, she bet they won’t last for long. They would find someone else that would love them back.


 

Hey!”


 

Taeyeon snapped back as she heard Jongin’s voice, waving his hands close to her face. She got drowned by her thoughts like being in in a whirlpool. She looked at Jongin who was standing in front and looking at her.


 

Are you ok?” Jongin looks at her in a concerned manner. This is his first time seeing Taeyeon looking serious when she zones out.

Yeah─“ She nodded.

I have to go now, see you tomorrow Taengay.” He stepped back and waves at her.


“Bye Jongin, no -ing for today ok?” Jongin glared at Taeyeon giving her a middle finger sign. Taeyeon laughs, as she also gives him a middle finger sign in return. This is the unique friendship of Kim Taeyeon and Kim Jongin.


 

• • •


 

She tapped her fingers on the study table as she follows the beat of the music while making her assignment. She stopped, she thought she heard loud bangs on the door but maybe it was her imagination; she tapped her fingers again.


 

She stopped tapping and plugged off her earphones. She heard the loud knocks; she rose off her seat and opened the door. She looks at the girl standing out of her room, looking pissed.


“Oh Taeyeon, what brings are you here?"
“What!? But you texted me to come here!”
“Did I?”
“Fany─“


“HAHAHA I was just kidding Taetae, come inside.” She made a gesture, as Taeyeon went inside her room, she closed the door. Taeyeon made her way towards her bed. She dropped her body heavily on the bed like an atomic bomb; she groaned.


 

This was the longest heavy knocks I have ever did in my entire life. I almost destroyed your door while knocking.”

Sorry Tae, I was on my earphones.” She went back on her study table and continued answering her assignment. “Tae..“
“Mmm?”

Are you done with our assignments?”

Oh we have assignments?” Tiffany shook her head to Taeyeon, frowning.

Taeyeon when did you start becoming irresponsible?” She snorted.

Don’t worry I’ll make them later.” Taeyeon answered coolly.

You better be!”


 

Taeyeon looks at the room. Everything was pink! Pink walls, pink bed, pink pillows, pink blankets, pink chairs, pink frames, pink closet, pink, pink, pink and more pink to mention.


 

Tiff, your room is so disgusting it makes me wanna puke in pink!”


 

Tiffany glared at Taeyeon who was lying down on the bed. “You've been coming in my house, especially in my room for a thousand of times since grade school, and now you're complaining for my pink addiction?” She scoffed, as she continues making her assignment.


 

Of course she doesn't mind Tiffany being totally addicted in pink, she was just kidding with her. She doesn't want to argue with nonsense stuff again, she have to say something that would get her out of trouble. Even though she might sound dumb, as long as they won't fall into shallow argument.


 

Oh it's not like that, uhh I mean, sometimes saying disgusting is not always gross but.. rather cute and..uhh─“

Yeah right, like your telling me pink cockroaches are cute as long as they are p─“ Taeyeon cuts her.

Are you done?“

Almost”

Is our assignment that long?”

Not really”

Then what took you so long? I thought making assignments for you was easy peasy?” Tiffany didn't answer her question, she finished first her assignment while Taeyeon was counting pink stuffs in her room.


 

5, 6, 7...8, 9, damn I still don't even know why she texted me to come here. More over, I could have just stayed at home and make my assignments... Well, not really, I mean if I didn't go here I would not have known we have assignments.


 

She counts more pink stuff again.


 

10, 11, 12... If she wants to share something, she could have text me or call me anyway...except if this was very important.


 

Mmm done!” Tiffany she stood up and grabbed the notes as she makes her way to Taeyeon; she handed it to her.

Here”

What's that?”

Your assignment”

What?” Taeyeon rises and sits down properly, there was a  question look on her face, as she pins her eyes on the notes.

Don't bother making one at home, I already made your assignment, take it”

Fany-ah you shouldn't have─“

Zip!”

Uhh─“

Taeyeon..” Tiffany glares at her making a command that Taeyeon should follow what she says.

Ok, ok. Thanks” She took the notes on Tiffany's hands and sighed.

Good girl” Tiffany smiles gingerly, creating a crescent moon in her eyes, and softly pats the head of her bestfriend, sitting obediently making a pouting face. “Awee~ Taetae you're so cute, don't you know that?”

I've been told” She took off Tiffany's hand on her head. “So why did you summon me here?”

Tiffany pointed her index finger on her chin, acting like she didn't know. “Did I?” She giggled.

Taeyeon scoffed loudly. “Tiff─“


 

Tiffany immediately hugged Taeyeon, whose face was buried in her chest, as her cheeks flushed to the color of scarlet. It's either Taeyeon can't breathe or she just can't handle the feeling of getting buried in Tiffany's chest. She pushed herself our of Tiffany's embrace and pretended to breathe heavily.


 

Oh sorry”

I think you really want to kill me”

What!? No silly~ I would never do that to you” Her palms touches her cheeks as she cups them. “I would never harm my most beloved bestfriend. You know that I love you so much, right?”


 

Taeyeon's heart skipped a beat for a moment Tiffany said those words, but then she realized that its not what she was thinking. Tiffany just mean it in a bestfriend context, as usual. She gets mad at herself assuming that they could be more than what they are─like lovers. But then again let's not live in some rubbish fantasy that would never happen. “Ah, right” She paused, looking at the floor and then she looks at Tiffany again.


 

So why did you want me to come over here?” Taeyeon asked her again.

Oh. I.. I just wanted you to sleep over here”

What? That's it?” Taeyeon shrieked.

Uhh.. yeah?”


 

Fany, you could just texted or called me that you want me to sleep over your house. I could have brought my school uniform”


 

Sorry. I was just. It's kinda lonely here you know. Since eonni is living with her fiance and oppa already have his own family. And dad is.. Well he's busy. And I really miss you staying over here. It's been a while, you used to go here─“


 

When we were young. Yes Fany, I know, I know” Taeyeon rolls her eyes. “My point is you could have just texted me”

Sorry─“

Stupid Fany” Taeyeon draws near to Tiffany and hugs her tight. “I don't understand you. Sometimes you're quite stupid, dumb, dumb and stupid.”

Yah! That's not nice!”

What?“

For telling me I'm dumb.”


 

I'm just kidding Fany. But to be honest, sometimes you're dumb. You're cutely dumb.” Taeyeon chuckles as she releases Tiffany from her embrace and she looked at her bestfriend who was sweetly smiling at her. But as Tiffany was looking at the dark orbs of Taeyeon, she got lost into it like she was by a black hole of the sincerity in her eyes. Inch by inch, she slowly moves her face near to hers, and suddenly she paused. Realizing that their faces were a centimeter near to each other.


 

Taeyeon can even feel the the air exhaled by Tiffany's nostrils. Tiffany immediately pulls herself in the closure they were having, as she cuts off her eye-to-eye contact with Taeyeon, she looks at the opposite way that their eyes would never meet.


 

Oh it's almost late Tae. We, we should probably.. umm sleep.“

A-ah right, w-we should... sleep” Taeyeon stuttered.


 

Both of them crawls in bed and gently lays down. Tiffany realizes that the lights were still on, she was already in her best sleeping position. It would be irritating if she stands again after lying down just a second ago; she scoffed. By the time she was about to get off her bed, Taeyeon took the initiative to turn off the lights herself. Thus, she went back to bed, draping the warm sheet that both of them shared. Bidding goodnight to each other, both synchronously turned their bodies, facing the opposite direction. They never said another word after saying goodnight.


 

What was that? Taeyeon thought.


 

• • •



The sound of the ticking of the clock echoed inside the dark room. Her eyes were wide open, scanning in the dark area, obviously she can't see anything. Her mind roams around in endless thoughts, trying to get rid of something that she just can't chuck it off. She wanted to sleep back, yet she can't. She's a bit agitated of what happened a couple hours ago. It was really a butter situation where you and your bestfriend is just a centimeter away from each other, like almost kissing. In fact, it's not their first time sharing the sweet taste of their lips. Of course they kissed a few. Today was almost, but, that almost is somewhat different because, maybe, just maybe. Tiffany is slowly eluding from their bestfriend context that they've been having. And maybe Tiffany is starting to break the boundary of their friendship?

 

Taeyeon doesn't know, she's not sure, she's confused again by Tiffany's actions. She shakes her head and slaps herself to make sure she's not drifting in her delusional thoughts again. She cussed words in her mind, she didn't want to assume.

What if Tiffany was just drawn by her stupid thoughts? I know her, if I ask her she will just give me dumb and shallow answers that will just make me even more confused. And maybe it's best to forget and pretend it didn't happened, again.

There's too much 'what ifs' and 'maybes' in her mind right now. It's like her head is erupting like an active volcano. She forced herself to sleep, she doesn't want to doze in class again. She was already given a last warning by her teachers. She doesn't want to disappoint her mom, peculiarly she doesn't want her mom to know she acts differently at school. Although she might looks like a sweet angel who fell from the sky when she's at home, in school she's quite badass. But not badass girl who bullies people. She just loves cutting class, leaving school early, getting late, absence from class; it's amazingly she still passes her subjects. She's truly a badass genius.


Badass? What the hell am I proud of that? Mom will totally cry blood if she knows what I'm doing.


Suddenly her mother popped up in her mind, she thought of many what ifs. It just made her quiver of fear her mother might know what she's doing at school. She kept thinking about her until she drifts off to sleep.

 

• • •



“Jongin, I-I just” Taeyeon sighs. “I'm confused.”

Is it Hwang again?”

Taeyeon nods.

Taeyeon, can't you just find another?”

I'm trying. It's just.. ugh! It's like she's giving me this push and pull signal, Jongin. It . I know, but I keep standing on this vague spot and I don't even know why... I don't know.. I just..” Taeyeon scoffs as she massage the bridge of her nose. She closed her eyes, keeping her cool and breathes deeply.

You ” Jongin laughs.

you” She glares at him.


There was silence, the air blew gently touching their skin. Feeling the cool of the fresh air, Taeyeon swallowed. After those few minutes of silence, her mind was arrayed in thoughts as she clears .

 

Maybe.. I should avoid her.. or completely forget about her” Taeyeon's

Tae you can't do that, that's impossible she's your bestfriend─”

I know! I'm not making sense right now... I just can't think right..” She faced palm herself, realizing she's thinking of stupid ideas. It's too late to forget your bestfriend like that, especially when you had her since your childhood days and both of your family knew each other. Until now they still keep in touch, she thought if she could just turn back time where she met Tiffany. This wouldn't happen to her, would it? “But I have to do something with my feelings for her, it's getting abnormal everyday.


 

That's because you're in love with her─”

I am.”

Try liking someone or date someone, maybe it will help─”

That's what I've been thinking, Jongin. I'll try...” Taeyeon clenches her hands, as red mars on her palms were visible; she raise her head and exhales. “Or maybe.. I can't.”


Jongin smiled at Taeyeon, who's looking cute when she's confused, as he pats her head like he is petting her. “I like the person you are Tae, very true to your love for her.”

Taeyeon shove Jongin's hand off his head, she snorted. “Yeah right, my ing unrequited love. How great!”


 

Think about this way, hold on while you still can, and when think you had enough, then it's time for you to turn to the next page─move on.”


 

Taeyeon was surprised at Jongin giving her advice, which in fact Jongin has also love problems he can't even solve for himself. Maybe people are really bound to give other people some advices but they can't even fix their problems; so they also need advices to do so.


 

Wow! When did you become a love expert? You're supposed to be dumb” Taeyeon laughs.

I'll admit that sometimes my brain processes slowly, but never in love”

you and your assy love, you're drinking in agony because of the breakup”

I'm doing these things because I want to clear up my mind”

Clear what?” Taeyeon raised her eye brow.

I just want to know whats the most important thing to me, I feel there's something in the dephs of my heart, like I want to cover the hole in it.”

Oh my ghad~ are you drunk when you go to school? Or are you possessed or something?”

Tae, I'm serious” Jongin looks at her, giving her a serious face. Taeyeon wants to punch him straight to the face. She finds him funny but she just holds her laughter inside. She has to respect her friends who's become serious all of a sudden. In the end, she just nods at him.


Taeyeon scanned Jongin's face, looking for emotions or the right timing before she could ask him. It's been a while she thought that she wanted to ask about Kyungso and him. She clears before she could speak.


 

So umm do you still keep in touch with your ex?”

Nope. We seldom see each other passing at the corridors but mostly not because his class room is on the third floor”

Woah~ so you mean he's a year ahead on us?!”


 

Jongin nods.

 

I didn't know that. I even mistook him as an eight grader, but I realized his uniform was─“


 

Taeyeon stops talking, she remembered she promised to Kyungsoo she will not tell Jongin that he asked about him. She shuts and bit her lower lips. 'Oh shoot' She mumbles.


 

Did he said something... about me?” Jongin looks directly at Taeyeon's eyes with a question look on his face.

Not really” She lied.

I..see”

 

 

[Bell Ringing]

 


“Oh would you look at the time, I'll attend afternoon classes now” Taeyeons stands up, as she raised both of her arms and stretched them. "Ammp! She fixes her crooked skirt and runs her fingers thru her bangs to fix them.

Woah~ I thought you hate attending afternoon classes”

I do, but I have to or else my mom will know”

You scared?”

Of course! I love my mom, I don't want her to know I've been skipping class since I hate it”

Well that means I'm going too”

Good choice. You better learn more Jongin, your brain is kinda rusty it needs to be filled with oil of information”

Ya!!”


Jongin playfully hits Taeyeon but she quickly evades it; laughing out loud. The two of them left the rooftop and headed to their respected classroom.