It wasn't our fault if we'd fallen in love

Cherry Blossoms

Title: It wasn't our fault if we'd fallen in love

Rating: //

Length: nearly 3k

Summary: Chanyeol was supposed to take care of Baekhyun's sons, Jongdae and Minseok. And Baekhyun was supposed to be a married man.

Note: Domestic!Chanbaek + xiuchen as Baekhyun's sons to spice up the story. hell yes.

 


 

Jongin answered the phone after a few rings, "Hello?"


The brunet sighed in sign of relief, "Hello, Jongin? It's Baek."

"Oh, hey, Baekhyun."

"Can you do me a favor?" 

"That is?" Jongin asked.

"Can you take the kids—Jongdae, put back that knife on its place! I know it's sharp, so put it down!—Sorry about that, where were we?"

"Your kids—"

"Ah, can you take care of the kids this afternoon? The company called and the client wants to meet our team later. It's really important, so.."

Jongin hesitated, staying silent for a while. Fear creeped in Baekhyun, "Sorry, Baek, but I can't."He felt on the verge of tears, "I'm going out with Kyungsoo this afternoon and I can't cancel it.."

Exasperated, Baekhyun groaned, "Now what am I going to do?"

It passed a mere minute before Jongin spoke up again, "I know someone who can watch over them."

"I can't leave my kids with a stranger." The small guy frowned.

Jongin let out a sigh, "I know, but this guy is nice, he won't even harm a fly. He's always been a friend to me, therefore I trust him with my life, if this assures you."

"Are you sure I can trust him?"

"No doubts."

Baekhyun scrunched up his face before sighing deeply, "Fine. Text me his number."







"What number is it, pa?" Jongdae, one of his sons, asked to Baekhyun, eyes wandering around to find the babysitter's, the one provided by Jongin, apartment. He already asked it before they entered the elevator, somehow he managed to forget it.

"Number sixty-one," Baekhyun answered back patiently, squeezing both of his sons', Jongdae and Minseok's, little hands. 

"Number sixty-one!" Minseok, his other son, suddenly exclaimed, pointing at a wooden door with a silver-plated number 61 on it.

Chaos reigned when Jongdae pulled his hand away from his dad's hold with a tug, pushing his brother away from his path, shouting, "Move over!". He knocked hard on the door, before Baekhyun could stop him.

The door flung opened seconds later, a tall guy appearing with a pissed off look on his face.

"Look, pa! A skyscraper!" Jongdae, with narrowed eyes, observed the man from head to toe.

Baekhyun blushed furiously and quickly pulled the little kid behind him. His anger showed through his tone, "Where are your manners, young man?"

He was cut a by a deep voice, "May I help you?"

Baekhyun glared one last time at Jongdae before turning his back, "I'm truly sorry for that." He stuck out a hand, "I'm Baekhyun, the one who called for the children?"

The other male's pupils dilated, or Baekhyun supposed, as he absent-mindedly shook the hand. His expression had softened, "Oh," He stepped aside, "Please, come in."

"Minseok, follow me! Let's explore this new kingdom!" Jongdae pulled his little brother along, running around the place, a stunned look on their faces, their backpacks bouncing up and down. 

The taller guy laughed nervously, a hand rubbing his nape, "Um, do you want something to eat or drink before leaving?"

"Oh, no. I'm fine, thank you." Baekhyun's eyes travelled around, inspecting if there were any suspicious items. He was reassured when he found nothing other than photo frames and posters hanging on the white walls, and a collection of sci-fi DVDs on the living room's shelves. He grinned when his gaze met Chanyeol's, and it was only in that moment Baekhyun had the chance to admire Chanyeol's noticeable height. He was quite a good-looking young man too, to tell the truth, "By the way, for the payment.. Should I give it to you now?"

"I can have it later," The taller guy coughed and turned his head, mumbling something. Baekhyun didn't manage to hear; he did hear his children calling his name from the end of the corridor. Baekhyun padded his way towards them, Chanyeol trailing after him. 

They ended up in a room with a bed and shelves full of same stuffed toys dressed in different outfits. Astonished, Baekhyun threw a questioning look to the guy behind him, who was gaping, "I.. Er, I—"

"So many rilakkumas!" Minseok was sitting on the floor, admiring the stuffed toys in his arms. Jongdae was busy counting loudly the ones on the shelves.

"It's a hobby."

Baekhyun took in the childish yet adorable scenery of the room in awe, before noticing that Chanyeol had spoken to him, "Oh, of course."

"Everyone has one."

"Definitely."

Ushering the kids out of the room to be not disrespectful towards mr. Park's privacy, Baekhyun took them to the living room and made them sit on the couch. He kneeled in front of them, glancing on one then to another, "Behave, you two? Listen to mr. Park okay? If I hear any complaints from him later, I'll make sure to tell Santa Claus not to bring your presents this year."

Jongdae and Minseok nodded frenetically, saying they'd obey and stay behaved.

Baekhyun got up satisfied, kissing their foreheads, "Papa will be back soon."

The kids started to bring out their toys out of their bags and put them on the floor carefully, paying attention not to make any noises. 

Smiling, Baekhyun reached the door, followed by Chanyeol, "Call me for any problems, okay?"

"Don't worry. I can handle them, they look such good boys. Plus, it seems like their dad has educated them well." Chanyeol said with a sudden blush on his face. 

Brushing it off, Baekhyun took it as a compliment as he grinned at him and bid goodbye to his children, while a repeated reminder to call him was whispered to Chanyeol.







No one talked since Baekhyun had left the house. 

Chanyeol busied himself by playing with his phone on the couch, while the children were on the floor, playing with their scattered toys and talking in a hushed voice.

Every now and then, the tall guy would spare them a look. But a half and hour passed and he got seriously bored. He set aside his phone and leaned back, crossing his arms, "So, Jongdae, Minseok," Minseok turned his head, while the other kept playing with his plane, "Where is your mum?"

Minseok knitted his brows, while Jongdae stopped fidgeting with his toy, "We don't—" 

He was interrupted by his brother who tapped his shoulder, shaking his head. Minseok mouthed "what?" and Jongdae merely shook his head again.

Chanyeol was confused about their reaction. But then it dawned to him that he shouldn't had asked about it. Maybe it was a sensitive topic for the kids. He felt bad about it. He was about to change the topic into dinosaurs instead when Jongdae's voice peeped in, "Actually, she's always busy at work. She is never in our house and sometimes treats our dad badly."

Minseok's eyes widened, a shocked look thrown at his brother, and Chanyeol thought that Jongdae shouldn't had said those words. 

In his mind, he could imagine Baekhyun working his off to raise two children while his wife was busy at her "work". How could a frail looking guy like Baekhyun manage to do that?

When the two started to push each other and shout, he took that as the cue to offer something else to do. 

Chanyeol crouched down and divided them, tiny hands accidentally hitting his arm, "Hey, hey, stop it," his voice was firm and the two eventually stopped their bickering, Jongdae ending it with a tongue sticked out, "Let's not talk about it anymore."

He suggested to eat something and both of them jumped enthusiastically. Minseok complained that his stomach was grumbling since he departed from their home.

Chanyeol prepared some sandwiches for the three of them and poured some apple juice into three glasses. He helped the children climb to sit on the stools around the island and they ate altogether. Jongdae talked about a boy in his class, not bothering to see if Minseok was listening (who wasn't, infact). His topic changed into why giraffes had blue tongue, that got Chanyeol wondering too, and even after they had eaten, Jongdae didn't stop talking, while Minseok said only few words there, some nodding inserted here.

"Aren't you a talkative little guy, are you?" Chanyeol mused, leaning on the counter, with his chin propped on the palm of his hand.

Jongdae blinked, "Papa's the same. He never stops talking, mostly when he is with his friends."

"Bet he's fun to be with."

"Yes, he is! He always smile and laugh and play with us," Minseok pointed out, wiping his hands on the front of his shirt, "Papa's the best."

Chanyeol couldn't help but to smile, "I'm sure about that."







Baekhyun fixed his hair before knocking gently on the door. He heard some screaming and laughing coming from inside the apartment—he feared that his kids might had killed Chanyeol.

A minute later, the door opened, and he was surprised by the image of Jongdae and Minseok wrapped around each of Chanyeol's long legs, grins plastered on their faces.

His heart melted on the scene.

"Baekhyun!"

"Papa!"

Both Jongdae and Minseok untangled themselves from Chanyeol and ran into their dad's opened arms. 

Baekhyun lifted them up. At least he tried, since on half-way his back ached and he had to put them back on the ground. He looked at them, glowing, "So, did you two behave while I was gone?"

Jongdae giggled, "Yes! Chanyeol is fun! He made us ride his back!". Minseok nodded in agreement, hands wrapped around Baekhyun's neck.

Glancing at the taller guy, Baekhyun grinned widely before standing up and telling the kids to gather their things while he'd be talking with Chanyeol.

Chanyeol led them to the kitchen and invited Baekhyun to have a sit, as he settled on the chair opposite his, "I hope they didn't give you any problem."

"No, they didn't. We had fun."

"I'm so glad you went along well. So the payment.." Baekhyun reached for his duffle bag when he felt Chanyeol's hand on his arm, "No, no need to."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean I don't want it."

"But you kept them. Plus, you shouldn't had since it's the weekends!" Baekhyun insisted.

"Infact. It's weekend, that means I have nothing to do anyways and it's been a pleasure to have kept Jongdae and Minseok. I don't want to be paid. It's okay, Baekhyun, seriously."

Baekhyun slowly retracted his hands away from his bags, "Are you sure?"

"200% sure of that." Chanyeol smiled radiantly, showcasing all of his teeth.

Baekhyun was still not in ease. He should had carried on insisting for Chanyeol to be paid the money truthfully his for taking good care of his children.

"What about having a dinner with us tonight?" He got off the chair, following the other guy who started exiting the kitchen, "That is, if you don't have any plans.."

Chanyeol turned around quickly that he nearly bumped into Baekhyun, "I don't have any. But Baekhyun, there's no need.."

This time, Baekhyun insisted enough that on the way home he had two kids singing at the back seat and a tall guy sitting next to him, who nearly reached the ceiling of his car.







Chanyeol was sitting alone on the couch while the kids were on the floor playing—it all seemed like a dejavu.

Getting bored at observing the boys play with their plastic trains, Chanyeol got up and went to the kitchen. He caught Baekhyun struggling to reach a pan from a high cupboard. He swiftly walked behind the smaller male and reached it for him. Baekhyun had to tiptoe, whileas Chanyeol just needed to extend an arm. He felt Baekhyun's body tense underneath him as he reached out. He hastily moved away as soon as he put the pan on the counter and heard the other mutter a thank you.

"Can I help you, Baekhyun?" Chanyeol stuffed his hands into his pockets, watching Baekhyun chop some vegetables.

His eyes cast over his slim fingers. Gosh, they're beautiful.

Just like the fringe covering his eyes, filled with concentration.

Just like his thighs, that fitted perfectly in those black slim jeans.

He kept raking Baekhyun's body up and down, his mind taunting him to stop and not to want anyone's else's husband.

"No, I can do it alone." Baekhyun shook him out of his sinful thoughts before he could go further and filthier.

An awkward silence lingered in the air for a moment, "So, is your wife going to eat with us?"

The brunet froze, frowning, "What?"

"Your wife, is she eating with us?"

Baekhyun erupted into laughter that brought confusion in Chanyeol, "I don't have a wife. I'm single."

"What?" Chanyeol's arms fell and dangled on his sides. 

"I don't have a wife." Baekhyun repeated, wiping his hands on his apron.

"But Jongdae said—"

"He said what?"

"That you have a wife, who's always busy and doesn't have time for you. And that sometimes treats you bad, too." Chanyeol felt his cheeks and the tip of his ears heating up as they became as red as the tomatoes Baekhyun was cutting. Well, every part of his body was turning into shades of red. 

Baekhyun stopped laughing and looked sternly at Chanyeol. Then, he whipped his head, "Jongdae! What the hell are you saying I'm a married man! Come here!"

The children reached them, a pout forming on Jongdae's lips, "What is it?"

"Why did you lie to Chanyeol? How many times do I have to tell you not to lie!" Baekhyun pointed a finger to Chanyeol when he mentioned him and pointed it to his son when he emphasized the word you.

Chanyeol pitied him when he saw tears glistening his eyes, "I didn't want to lie.. It's just a joke."

"Baek, it's okay, it's not—"

"It's Minseok fault too!" Jongdae shouted as he stormed off, running to his room.

Minseok widened his eyes, raising his hands as if he had nothing to do with this mess, which was true, "I didn't do anything. I warned him. Really."

Nodding, Baekhyun heaved a sigh. He shooed him off, "Go tell your brother to stop crying. Papa's not mad anymore."

Shrugging, Minseok jogged out of the kitchen and disappeared into their room.

The smaller male turned to look at Chanyeol, "I'm sorry for the misunderstanding."

"It's fine, no worries." Chanyeol walked towards the counter and helped Baekhyun chop the rest of the ingredients, "It's just a pity, I could have hit on you from the very start." 

Wow, where the courage came from, he thought. Chanyeol was more surprised of what tumbled out from his mouth than Baekhyun, to be honest.

He could feel Baekhyun's persisting gaze on him, but he avoided to lift his eyes from what he was doing, afraid to cut his own fingers.

He heard Baekhyun chuckle, "It's really a pity then, since I've been waiting for it when I came back to get the kids."

"So, can I start hitting on you now?"

"Looks like you've already got my kids' sympathy and hearts," Baekhyun flashed him a bright smile, "Try getting mine."







Both Baekhyun and Chanyeol got to know each other, and Baekhyun realized that trusting his kids to a total stranger that day was the best decision he had ever made.

Chanyeol loved every little thing about Baekhyun, and Baekhyun the same. Every moment spent with him was pure bliss. 

He adored being a father to Baekhyun's kids too, and he loved how they now called him "dad". The children made him feel like a part of a family, even if Jongdae would sometimes and end up hiding under his bed where Baekhyun couldn't reach enough to grab and punish him righteously. 

Apart from scolding their children and doing their duties as parents, they also would spend their time tangled in each others legs and arms, whispering on each other's skin, making each other feel loved.







Baekhyun woke up, wrapped around a pair of strong warm arms. He looked up and he was greeted by Chanyeol's sleeping face. There was drool slipping off Chanyeol's semi-opened cherry-coloured lips, but for Baekhyun he was still handsome. He craned his neck upwards and pecked his lips, propping his chin on Chanyeol's broad chest afterwards. 

Stirring slightly but arms still enveloping the brunet's warm body, Chanyeol mumbled, "Good morning."

"Morning, sweetheart."

Opening his eyes, he captured Baekhyun's lips one more time, caressing his back.

Baekhyun smiled sweetly, "It's your turn to cook breakfast."

Groaning, Chanyeol sat upright before standing up, Baekhyun patting his as an encouragement.

Suddenly, Chanyeol felt stepping on something. His mind hadn't figured out yet what it was and he was already howling in pain, hopping on one foot as he clutched the other.

He stepped on a lego piece.

And it hurt as hell.

"Jongdae!"

"It's not my fault, it's Minseok's!"

"What did I do again?!?"
 

A/N: I can't angst anymore.