Chapter 5

Tutor Wars

Suyeon doesn’t even have time to congratulate Hoseok. The moment the game ends and she sees Jongin and Sehun storm out the doors, she grabs Mirae and follows the boys.

 

“Hey, Suyeon!” Hoseok says, his eyes lighting up when he sees her. “How was it-,”

 

“You did awesome, Hoseok,” Suyeon says in a harried voice. “Like seriously, good job. But I’ll be right back, kay?” She rushes away. Hoseok is left hanging, his jaw slightly agape.

 

Mirae and Suyeon push through the bustling crowd, looking for two boys wearing Daewon Peacock jerseys. Suddenly, a flash of blond catches Mirae’s attention. She sees Oh Sehun striding through the crowd, bumping past people. “Let’s go,” Mirae tells Suyeon.

 

The girls see Jongin and Sehun standing in the middle of a deserted corridor. Anger is evident on their faces. As they approach the boys, Mirae and Suyeon can hear snippets of their conversation.

 

“...Is he actually kidding?”

 

“Poor people. I have to deal with them enough during tutoring. I don’t want to deal with them during games too. God, this school reeks of filth-,”

 

“Excuse me,” Suyeon says in a tightly controlled voice. Her fists are clenched behind her back. Who the hell do these boys think they are?

 

Jongin and Sehun turn to look at her and Mirae. She braces herself against their cold stares and says, “We need to talk.”

 

“Uh, who the are you?” Jongin says, raising an eyebrow. “Sorry, but I’m not interested in dating girls like you. You’re not my type.”

 

Sehun narrows his eyes. “Aren’t you two from Daegu Public High? Ooh, your schoolmates wouldn’t be too happy knowing that you were hitting on some Daewon Prep kids.”

 

“We don’t want to talk to you about that,” Mirae hisses, stepping forward. “It’s not like we’d ever be interested in dating people like you anyway.”

 

The haughty smirks on Jongin and Sehun’s faces drop faster than the beat in a Lil Wayne song (emchan and Panda-Cake that was for u guys u dumb butts).

 

Suyeon juts out her hip. “Are you two the members of the Sunset Tutoring Group?”

 

Sehun scoffs. “So this is about that? You want us to tutor you. Look, this isn’t the time-,”

 

“So you are.” Mirae folds her arms. “Suyeon and I are part of the Daegu Tutoring group. And we’re officially telling you to screw off.”

 

Jongin and Sehun bristle. “What?”

 

“You heard us. Screw. Off. The Daegu Tutoring group has been in business for months more than you have. We’re an established business. But you come in all of a sudden and start stealing all our customers. You have no right-,”

 

Low, throaty laughter fills the air. Jongin and Sehun are doubled over, laughing their heads off. Mirae and Suyeon exchange confused looks.

 

“You really think telling us to ‘screw off’ is going to make us stop?” Jongin howls with derision. “Get over yourself. You know what? We’re not forcing our customers to hire us. They want us to teach them.”

 

Suyeon says angrily, “The only reason your customers hire you is because of your looks-,”

 

“So?” Sehun asks arrogantly. He takes long, staggering steps towards Suyeon, until they are face-to-face. Suyeon’s stomach clenches with unease; Sehun is nearly 6 feet tall, causing him to tower over her. It is quite intimidating. She resists the urge to step back- instead, she continues glowering at him straight in the eyes.

 

“You see, our customers are getting a lot more bang for their buck. By hiring us, not only are they getting educational help, but they’re getting to spend time with a hot, rich guy. But you guys...,” Sehun looks Suyeon over, curling his lip at her scuffed tennis shoes, tie-dye tshirt, and bitten fingernails. “...are just giving your students some amateur teaching.”

 

For poor girls, they’re not bad, Sehun notes, however. But they’re still miles below us.

 

Mirae’s jaw drops in indignation. “Amat- hello? Do you know who you’re talking to? We’re in the top 3 of the junior class! We nearly scored perfect scores on the national exam!”

 

“Hello?” Kai bites back, stepping up next to Sehun. “Do you know who you’re talking to? I’m the heir to one of the biggest fortunes in South Korea. I could buy your house a million times over and still have extra money to vacation to my private island.”

 

“We. Are. Better. Than. You.” Sehun enunciates, taking a step closer and closer to Suyeon with every word. This time, Suyeon cannot help but stumble back a little. Damn his height.

 

“But you’re rich,” Mirae protests. “Unlike you, college tuition isn’t just a drop in the bucket for us.”

 

Jongin shrugs in false sympathy. “Not my problem, babe. Sehun and I will be running our tutoring business for the next 6 months. You can kiss goodbye to us leaving, because we can’t quit.”

 

“Even if we want to,” Sehun grumbles under his breath. Suyeon hears this, and tilts her head.

 

“Uh, you could stop anytime you wanted to,” she says in a scathing tone. “It’s not like you’re being forced to tutor students.”

 

For the first time since Mirae and Suyeon have met them, Sehun and Jongin look rather uncomfortable. They exchange tense glances.

 

“Well... not really.” Jongin informs Suyeon miserably. “You see, certain parties seemed to think Sehun and I needed to perform certain actions in order to... redeem ourselves.”   

 

“What ‘certain parties’? Mirae inquires, making air-quotes around her words.

 

“The police,” Sehun grumbles.

 

Suyeon and Mirae’s jaws drop. “What?!”

 

Jongin rubs his temples. “A few weeks ago, my parents went to the Bahamas for a friend’s birthday party. I didn’t want to go- I’ve been to the Bahamas so many times that it’s boring-,” Mirae and Suyeon exchange pointed looks at these words- “so I was home alone.”

 

“Why are you telling them this story?” Sehun snaps. “They don’t need to know this.”

 

Jongin throws his best friend a look. “I’ve started already. I can’t just stop in the middle of the story.”

 

“Don’t give me that bull, Jongin,” Sehun mutters, but he keeps quiet.

 

“Sehun and I had a party at the Belluve Mansion that night, so I invited Sehun to come over, so we could go to the party together.” Jongin runs a hand through his hair dramatically. “You know what they say. The stars of the party always come late.”

 

“What the hell does this have to do with tutoring?” Mirae snaps. Jongin closes his eyes and places a finger on her lips. Mirae’s eyes widen in shock, and she slaps him away.

 

“Your friend needs help,” Suyeon tells Sehun. He sighs exasperatedly.

 

“I think Jongin’s proud of being arrested,” Sehun grouses. Suyeon gives him a strange look.

 

“What the hell happened?” she asks.

 

“I’ll give you the short version. It involved several bottles of Pinot Noir, mooning, and throwing up on a girl’s skirt at 11 in the night.”

 

“Everything was a blur!” Kai yells, slapping a hand on his heart. “The world was a kalediscope of colors, dizzy and crazy, like the dance floor of Club Rizo on a Saturday night. It was like the bushes and the roads and the sky itself had been doing opium and and ketamine-,”

 

Mirae gives Sehun an abhorred look. “You two are disgusting.”

 

“Those police officers were such pricks,” Sehun growls. “We offered to donate money to their police force and the police academy and all, but they still arrested us.”

 

“That’s called bribery,” Suyeon says, but Sehun merely bats his hand in dismissal.

 

“Anyway, our sentence was to perform mandatory community service and get a ton of volunteer hours. So we’re doing this tutoring thing. The more clients we get, the faster our volunteer hours will be over.” Sehun an eyebrow. “Which is why Jongin and I don’t give a about whether your tutoring business fails.”

 

“Her skirt had flowers on it! It looked like it was laughing at me!” Jongin continues, screaming energetically. Apparently, he is still stuck in his story. “Suddenly, my stomach started to rumble. And then I felt the sharp tang of alcohol coming up my throat!”

 

“Well, I guess this is war.” Mirae smirks, putting her hands on her hips. “Enjoy getting your asses kicked. Judging by the basketball game tonight, you two aren’t unfamiliar to the concept of losing, hm?”

 

Jongin freezes in mid-story, his arms hanging over his head. In a flash, his face has snapped back to its original, hostile expression.

 

“For your information,” Jongin says, his voice chillier than the Siberian tundra, “We would have won. Unfortunately, some cheating little dip from your school screamed ‘Miss it, Kim Jongin!’ right as I was about to shoot.”

 

Mirae and Suyeon blanch.

 

Sehun suddenly swivels on the girls. “Do you know who yelled that?” he inquires in a steely voice.

 

“Uh, well-,” Suyeon stutters, but Mirae cuts her friend off.

 

“It was me,” she says smoothly.

 

It takes a moment for that to sink in; however, in the flash of an eye, Jongin has Mirae pinned up on the wall by the scruff of her shirt.

 

“You little ,” he snarls. “You cost us the game. You’re going to pay.

 

    “Get off of her!” Suyeon shrieks, yanking Jongin away from her best friend. Mirae’s eyes are firm, but Suyeon can see that she is trembling just the slightest. Kim Jongin, you bastard.

 

    “You two are the ones responsible, hm?” An evil, twisted look has seeped into Sehun’s eyes. “This calls for humiliation of the worst kind. Revenge. Pain.”

 

    Suyeon warily eyes Sehun. He is freaking her out.

 

    “Good luck with that,” she says. “We don’t even go to the same school.”

 

    Sehun gives her a cold, humorless smile. A chill runs down Suyeon’s spine.

 

    “Then how about a bet?”


A/N: Mooning is where you flash your bare at innocent passerby. So basically, Jongin and Sehun got drunk on their parents' alcohol and went mooning. And also threw up on a girl's skirt.

ANYWAY that was not a very good 1st meeting between Mirae, Suyeon, Sehun, and Jongin (they already hate each other OTL but wonder what the bet's gonna be...). BTW, 

ALSO TWO AMAZING PEOPLE MADE AMAZING POSTERS:

LucyChenLOL

ElizaLee from Thunder Graphic Shop

I'm debating which one to use as the main poster! What do you guys think?