Chapter 29

Tutor Wars

Jongin is sitting in front of his outdoor bar. Hundreds of people party around him, swimming in the pool or downing pina coladas or dancing in front of the DJ. Blaring rap songs thump through his mansion as servers offer flutes of champagne to guests. Despite the fact that this is his party, Jongin does not partake in any of these activities. Instead, he calmly sips a strawberry smoothie, absorbing the scene in front of him.

 

“Sweet party,” a slender girl in a sarong says, taking a seat next to him. “This is the best New Year’s bash I’ve been to.”

 

“Thanks,” Jongin smiles. He recognizes the girl as one of Sehun’s few ex-flings. She probably came as a guest with someone else who was invited, Jongin realizes.

 

The girl studies Jongin. “This is also the first time I’ve seen you sober so late into a party. What gives?”

 

“I’ve stopped drinking,” he shrugs. “Someone told me that my liver’s going to give out if I keep drowning myself in alcohol.”

 

“Correct.” She orders a water in a cocktail glass. “Don’t tell anyone, but I don’t drink. I just order water at every party I go to and tell everyone it’s gin. Cheers.”

 

Jongin snorts with laughter. “That’s clever. And smart.”

 

They sit in silence for a few minutes, simply sipping at their drinks. Then, the girl tells Jongin, “You’re different now. You and Sehun, actually. Community service must have changed you guys, huh?”

 

Jongin takes another sip of his smoothie, chuckling. “We... went through a lot. And we met some people.”

 

“Ah. I presume that’s who you’re waiting on right now?”

 

“Yup.”

 

“I see.” The girl giggles. “Well, I’m going to go dance. Good luck, Jongin.”

 

Kris, Jongdae, and the rest of the basketball team wave at Jongin from the pool, wildly beckoning him to join them. “Later,” Jongin mouths.

 

Suddenly, someone remarks from behind him, “Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, I walk into yours.”

 

Jongin turns. His breath catches in his throat. Mirae is leaning against the bar, beaming. She is clad in a floral two piece swimsuit, an oversized blue cover-up over her clothes.

 

“Quoting Casablanca, eh?” he smirks.

 

“Of course.” Mirae sits down next to him. “Wow. This is the first party party I’ve been to. For December 31, it’s really warm outside. I was surprised when you told me to wear a swimsuit.”

 

“Everything’s heated,” Jongin says quickly, jumping up. “I can give you a tour. Of everything. I know you’ve only seen the garden.”

 

“Of everything, huh?” Mirae wiggles her eyebrows suggestively. “That doesn’t include your room, does it?”

 

“I didn’t mean it like that,” Jongin splutters, reddening. Mirae giggles, thumping him on the back.

 

“I’m joking, don’t worry.”

 

Jongin playfully rolls his eyes. “So where are Suyeon and Sehun?”

 

“They ambushed one of the waiters,” Mirae shrugs. “They’re probably stuffing themselves with shish kebabs right now.”

 

    “Classy.”

 

    “Speak of the devil,” she laughs as Suyeon hurries up to them, her arms laden with food.

 

    “Jongin, I’m lovin’ this place,” Suyeon says fervently. “Mirae. Go try the bruschetta.”

 

    Mirae steers her friend away from another waiter. “Suyeon, enough. You’re going to make yourself sick.”

 

    “It’s worth it!”

 

    “Suyeon!” Sehun calls from across the patio. “This guy has mini stuffed mushrooms!”

 

    “Duty calls!” Suyeon shrieks, and hurries to join her boyfriend.

 

    “Let’s go,” Jongin says, and tugs Mirae towards the house.

 

    They walk through the cavernous hallways. Mirae admires the beautiful paintings on the wall and the assorted flower displays at every turn. The wall-to-wall windows are what really entrap her, however; she stops in front of one on the 2nd floor and stares out at the stars. “It’s gorgeous,” Mirae murmurs. “I love your house.”

 

    “There’s an even better spot, actually.” Jongin takes her hand and leads her up another flight of stairs. They walk past a few more rooms, take another turn, and arrive at another full-length window. This one, however, has a cozy nook, replete with fuzzy pillows and soft blankets, right in front of it. Mirae sighs with pleasure.

 

    “Perfect,” she hums, settling down on a pillow and closing her eyes.

 

    Jongin smiles, taking in her peaceful figure. He snuggles up next to her, causing Mirae to blush from the contact.

 

    “Move over,” she whines.

 

    “Why? It’s nice here.”

 

    She pouts. “Jongin.”

 

    “Let’s just stay like this a little while,” he smirks, and rests his head on Mirae’s shoulder.

 


 

    Suyeon is lying in a red beach chair by the pool. Her hand is lying in Sehun’s.

 

    “My mom’s coming back from Hong Kong,” Sehun informs her. “She really wants to meet you.”

 

    Her eyes widen. “How does your mom know me?”

 

    “Because I told her about you? Duh.”

 

    “Oh.” Suyeon blinks. “I would love to meet her, although I admit, I’m a little scared.”

 

    Sehun exhales. “I am too. I’m scared she’s going to go all psycho on you and start knitting you scarves or something. She’s way too excited about this.”

 

    “Aw, she knits?”

 

    “Nah. She just sticks two needles in a ball of yarn to make herself look homey and maternal. It kind of contrasts with all the heels and business suits she wears all the time, though.”

 

    “Your mom sounds really cool.” Suyeon sighs. “One day, I want to be a kickass businesswoman like her. Dream job, you know?”

 

    “I have no doubt that you will be.” Sehun grins. “We should turn Skyline into a corporation. Stockholders. Board of Directors.”

 

    “Mhm. Because we can totally do that with a tutoring group.”

 

    Sehun sits up. “If you’re serious, actually, I have a few ideas about turning Skyline into an actual business. What if we turned it into a chain of establishments? Like McDonald’s, but instead of specializing in fast food, we provide tutoring services.”

 

    “But that would involve recruiting several qualified tutors,” Suyeon responds. “And how would we build credibility for each of our locations? We’d need to hire people with credentials. Technically, we don’t even have credentials.”

 

    Sehun shakes his head. “That won’t be a problem. We’re headed to college in a year and a half. We could officially start the business then; then we’ll have our college names to back us up.”

 

    Suyeon rubs her temples. “Are we actually considering this?”

 

    “Yes.”

 

    She looks over at Sehun, who has a determined expression on his face. “Alright. Let’s try it.”

 

The corners of Sehun’s lips lift up. “Let’s go find Mirae and Jongin, and talk to them about this, too.”

 

The two venture into Jongin’s mansion, searching through the rooms for the pair. Sehun looks at Suyeon knowingly.

 

“Do you think we need to check his bedroom?” he asks.

 

Suyeon adamantly shakes her head. “No way. Mirae’s way more sensible than that.”

 

By the time she and Sehun reach the third floor, however, Suyeon’s belief in that statement is crumbling. “Where are they?” she mutters. “I swear to god, if we really do find them in Jongin’s room-,”

 

“Ah,” Sehun utters, his eyebrows raised. Suyeon looks in the direction he’s pointing to. Jongin and Mirae are getting quite cozy by the window.

 

“Okay, then,” Suyeon whistles, slowly backing out of the room. “Maybe we should, uh, come back later.”

 

After Suyeon and Sehun gently tiptoe out of the room, Mirae whispers, “They saw us, didn’t they.”

 

“Yup,” Jongin responds nonchalantly.

 

“Oh, great. Looks like I’ll be facing a full-on interrogation when I see Suyeon later.”

 

“I’ll back you up.”

 

“Thanks.” Mirae looks up at Jongin. “But I’d rather stay here now, anyway.”

 

Jongin threads his fingers through Mirae’s hair. “Me too.”

And he leans over and kisses her on the lips.

"That's the second time you've done that," Mirae murmurs after they detach.

"Is that a good thing or a bad thing?" Jongin questions, a little nervous.

"A bad thing."

Jongin's stomach plummets. "Why?"

"Because 2 times is kind of weak, don't you think?" Mirae grins, and she pulls him to her once more.


A/N: Yeahhhhhh okay this is not the last chapter. But the next chapter will actually be! I'm sorry I keep saying that LOLOL. Anyway, I'm going on vacation and I'm coming back in a few days, so I might not have the epilogue up until then. But YEAH merry christmas guys!