001

Fate Often Mistook

“Truth or dare?”

Other six pairs of eyes immediately aimed their sights at Jung Hoseok, waiting for an answer that he has to say. Hoseok squinted and bit his lip; pretending to think hard while everyone was waiting.

There was a quite long moment of silence before Hoseok finally screamed his final decision, “Dare!!!” and everyone yelled happily.

“Confess her!!!” Jeon Jungkook, the boy with hoodie, yelled.

“No, no! Pretend as you are going to propose her for marriage!” Park Jimin, the boy with eyesmile, laughed and clapped his hands.

“Tell her the best parts from her!” Kim Namjoon, the boy with eyeglasses, laughed and adjusted his eyeglasses.

“Sing! Sing for her!” Min Yoongi, the guy with a wide smile, chuckled and elbowed Hoseok’s ribs.

“No, no. Kiss her,” Kim Seokjin just folded his arms, pointed at a group of girls with his chin, and the biggest cheer happened.

Well, not actually a group of girls he pointed at. Seokjin just specifically pointed at one girl, and everyone obviously knew who that was. She was the girl who now awkwardly stared at the boy and she was the one who tried not to hear all those cheers.

“Kiss her! Kiss her! Kiss her!” the group of those seven boys started to chant, and Hoseok just shyly rubbed his nape. He started standing up and walked towards the girls on the other side of the class.

Uh, wait. Seven boys?

Let me count again. Hoseok, Jungkook, Jimin, Namjoon, Yoongi, Seokjin... Wait, I missed one guy!

Ah, I forgot Kim Taehyung! On the group of the boys, he was the one who sat the furthest from the circle they made. He was the one whose eyes were really dark, maybe eyeliner made them like that. While everyone was chanting crazily, that boy named Taehyung just sat down and locked his gaze at Hoseok. He didn’t even say a thing while the others were giving Hoseok challenges.

“Guys, I do love giving kisses but we haven’t got married yet!” Hoseok from the other side of the class looked at the boys and chuckled shyly. The girl named Jihye stood up and looked at the boys, and then she looked at Hoseok.

“What are you doing? Go kiss!!!” the boys started to stand up to see them clearer; some of them had been approaching Hoseok to see the action clearer. The other girls just looked at Jihye and Hoseok with small giggles.

“Jihye, I-“ Hoseok was about to speak when Jihye suddenly pulled him closer, so close that Hoseok could see her face clearly.

Both of them stayed the same for a moment, and the atmosphere turned quiet. Everyone tried to look at them, and the boys had crowded beside them.

Jihye slowly opened . A small mutter came out from her lips…

 

“I thought you were gay.”

 

The happy and lovely chant slowly turned to a small laughter, and then the laughter turned bigger. Hoseok’s feet turned limp, he stared in disbelief while Jihye just sat back with the girls, following the laughter she had made.

“You shot right in the part, Jihye!” Yoonjin, one of the girls, high-fived Jihye and laughed with her.

“You are just too gay to be with her,” Jaerim, one of the girls, chuckled and swayed her index finger to gesture a ‘no’.

“I- I’m not!” Hoseok yelled and shook his head, while his face had turned slightly red. The girls laughed and Jihye pointed at Taehyung who was left sitting alone at the other side of the class. “Your crush!”

All of the girls laughed and clapped their hands, while suddenly Yoonjin raised one of her hands and said, “But Taehyung is Jihye’s made-in-heaven match!!”

Everyone laughed again and nodded while Jihye screamed, “What?! Of course not!!”

“Heeey, you and he represented our class together at the last photography competition,” Jaerim grinned and elbowed Jihye.

“Does that mean he’s my freaking match?” Jihye looked in disbelief at Jaerim.

“And remember when you tested the percentage of the possibility between you and Taehyung?” Yoonjin said and chuckled. “One hundred percent!!!”

Everyone cheered and clapped their hands while Jihye just looked around in disbelief and said, “But Hoseok likes Taehyung! Oh, come on guys, don’t break his heart!”

Hoseok showed his puppy sad eyes and whined. “How many times do I have to tell everyone that I am not gay?!”

“You’re the only guy who hugs others’ waist while meeting. Does that make you look straight?” Yoonjin spoke meanly to Hoseok, while the boy one was left speechless.

“I can’t help but agreeing her word,” Jimin sat at the table and pointed at Yoonjin.

“Taehyung is his actual crush,” Jungkook randomly spoke that caused Hoseok to lock his head inside his embrace and briefly shook Jungkook. “What did you say, uh? What?”

“I- I’m sorry!!!” Jungkook tried hard to set himself free, while Jihye laughed and pointed at them. “Please tell Hoseok that this is just too gay.”

Jihye stood up, walked towards the door and left the class, leaving Hoseok who finally stopped punishing Jungkook and was now staring blankly at the door.

Taehyung had a reason not to join them when they pushed Hoseok to do his dare.

Jealous... was that the right word to describe his feeling? He wasn’t that sure. Or was it hatred towards the girls?

He heard everything. He heard that Hoseok straightly said that he liked Jihye. He heard that he was mentioned being together with Jihye. He also heard that they said Hoseok was gay and his crush was Taehyung.

He somehow… felt relieved for the last part?

Taehyung played the pen between his fingers, kept on playing it until finally it dropped down and hit the table hard, accidentally broke the silence inside the physics class. He took it and slightly bowed his head in apologize when the teacher glanced at him.

He was a gay that people mistook him to be not, while Hoseok was a straight guy that people mistook him as a gay. Although it was just a misunderstood fact, he somehow sometimes felt a little happy when people mistook him as Hoseok’s crush…

Even though it was just a mistake.

Ah, how pathetic! He thought and tossed his pen inside his pencil case.

Just confess him, Taehyung! You might have told him like that if you are his friend and if you know his feelings, right?

The answer from Taehyung would be a no. He knew Hoseok liked Jihye so much, even too much. The cliché reason came up too; he didn’t want to ruin their friendship.

The school’s bell succeeded pulling him out from drowning deeper inside his imagination. Taehyung looked around and most of his classmates had rushed out of the class.

“I don’t understand physics,” suddenly a pair of hand embraced Taehyung from behind, and without even thinking about it; he had known who it was. Jung Hoseok.

Taehyung chuckled lowly and leaned back until his head found Hoseok’s shoulder to lean on. “Do you think I understand it?” he looked up and locked his eyes on Hoseok’s, and Hoseok chuckled.

“Of course you don’t,” he said bluntly before releasing the hug and standing up normally. Taehyung palm-faced, Hoseok was the type of person who will give you the medicine before hurting you. Hoseok laughed and said again, “I’m glad I have a friend that can accompany me not to understand it.”

Taehyung made a face and slowly stood up; he didn’t even mind to think about Hoseok’s word. “I’m hungry.”

Hoseok nodded and followed Taehyung to get out of the class. “Me too.”

Now you know why was Hoseok got assumed as a gay, right? He’s a hugger. He hugged everything and everyone he met once the person’s quite close with him. He did skinships casually. And Taehyung was his closest friend, of course people would think that he was a gay and Taehyung’s his crush.

Both of them walked side by side to the canteen. They didn’t even speak any single word, but they were comfortable that way. Sometimes, realizing that someone you love is right beside you makes you feel better than anything. At least that was Taehyung’s feeling.

They immediately entered the canteen when they arrived there. Taehyung looked around and read the menu board, deciding what he should eat while Hoseok was looking around the canteen.

Suddenly, Hoseok’s gaze locked at a group of girls on a table in the middle, far enough from where they stood. There were Jihye and other girls sitting together, and Hoseok immediately went there, leaving Taehyung alone in the middle of the canteen.

“Hoseok! Where-” Taehyung was about to call him when he realized that Hoseok went there to see Jihye. He was left speechless while Hoseok immediately popped his head beside Jihye’s. “Jihye-yaaa!”

Jihye looked at Hoseok in surprise, but soon she went back eating. “This gay,” she muttered.

All the girls on the table laughed and looked at Hoseok. “Come on, Hoseok. We know you are a gay,” Yoonjin, one of them, said.

“You- how can you say such things to me?” Hoseok straightened his back and whined, while all of them laughed again.

Hoseok was about to whimper again when someone tugged his shirt. He looked at his side, and it was Taehyung standing beside him. “Hey, let’s go to buy something.” Taehyung smiled lightly, but deep sadness was drawn inside his eyes.

“Jihye’s mate comes!!” one of the girls yelled, and all of them immediately cheered. Jihye just opened wide and said, “What?!”

“But he’s also Hoseok’s crush!” another girl said while pointing at Taehyung, and all of them cheered again. “Hoseok’s crush is seeing him and taking him for lunch! Aw, how sweet!!”

Taehyung widened his eyes and he could felt that blood rushed inside his cheeks, causing his face to turn all red. Hoseok stared in disbelief at those imbecile girls and said, “He is just my friend!”

“Hoseokkie,” suddenly Jihye said in a cute voice, and everyone stared at her. “Do you really like me?”

Hoseok briefly nodded. “O-of course, Jihye!”

“Then can you do me a favor?” she acted cute for a while and then said in a mean tone, “Fanservice, please. I want to see you kiss Taehyung or something in front of us.”

All the girls cheered loudly. Hoseok just stared in disbelief at Jihye who did aegyo only in purpose, while Taehyung was blushing madly. “A-are you guys crazy?!”

When Taehyung thought Hoseok would walk away or said ‘let me just kiss you, Jihye!’, he was proved wrong. Hoseok immediately wrapped his arm around Taehyung’s waist tight and said to the girls, “Like this?”

All of them screamed and nodded. “Yes!!!”

“Just kiss him already, Jung Hoseok!”

Taehyung was extremely surprised with the sudden fanservice Hoseok gave to them. He meant, it’s normal for a Hoseok to do skinships, but not in this term! He gapped his mouth and blushed even more. Everyone who was sitting peacefully at the canteen was now standing around them and chanting.

Hoseok chuckled naughtily. He turned his head with a mischievous smile and locked his gaze at Taehyung’s dark eyes, while Taehyung tried hard to avoid the stare without even trying to turn his head. Hoseok chuckled again and patted Taehyung’s cheek with one hand. “Hey, look at me.”

Taehyung remained silent for a moment, but then he shook his head briefly. The cheer grew bigger since in their eyes this was a very romantic moment. “Kiss! Kiss! Kiss!”

Without even being told, Hoseok put two of his fingers on Taehyung’s chin and pulled his face closer. Maybe Taehyung’s expression stayed the same, but deep inside his heart pounded so fast.

The chant got louder and louder. Hoseok stayed like that for a moment, and Taehyung didn’t even able to think when the girls’ voice echoed inside his brain. “Kiss him!”

Taehyung slowly closed his eyes…

 

…when suddenly Hoseok let out a loud laughter.

 

“Are you all crazy? Of course I won’t kiss a boy!” Hoseok casually released the hug and walked towards the empty canteen table, leaving everyone speechlessly as the cheer stopped immediately.

Taehyung opened wide his mouth and stared at Hoseok, while other people who used to watch them also stare at Hoseok. Hoseok peacefully took a pack of gummy bear from his pocket and ate it, but then he realized that everyone was staring at him wordlessly. “What?”

“Whatever.”

The crowd slowly diffused itself, some of them went back to sit, some of them went back to eat and things. Taehyung was the one who still stood at his previous place, and then Hoseok beckoned him. “Yah, go eat.”

Taehyung approached Hoseok and sat facing him. Hoseok kept on stuffing his mouth with gummy without even noticing Taehyung’s arrival.

Taehyung puffed his cheeks and pouted silently. You’re such a meanie, Jung Hoseok.

 

 

...

a/n: thank you for those who have upvoted and subscribed!