Chapter 22

I Knew You Were Trouble
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Nervousness wasn’t an emotion Taehyung was used to so when anxiety hit him, he didn’t know what to do. In twenty-four hours, everything would be over. In twenty-four hours, the drug deal would happen, the boys would kill Bang Shihyuk, and everything would be over. Simple.

He sighed.

Jisoo remained in deep sleep on the couch, while Taehyung stood, pacing around the room. It was currently 6 a.m and sleep wouldn’t come to him as he continuously worried over the outcome of tomorrow. Would anyone be injured? Would they be successful? Would Jisoo be safe? Would anyone…die? With these rampaging thoughts running through his head, sleep refused to come to him.

Suddenly, Jisoo curled into a ball and began whimpering in her sleep. The eyebrows furrowed together and she looked as if she were having a nightmare. Taehyung was at her side in seconds and he kneeled down, her cheek gently as not to wake her but firmly enough to chase away her nightmares.

“I’m right here,” said Taehyung securely. “Right here…”

Her whimpers quited down and the creases on her face smoothed out as she returned to her peaceful slumber. He slumped down on the ground and watched her sleep. Her chest rose and fell steadily with each breath she took and she looked so peaceful. It was almost as if her meeting with Bang Shihyuk never happened.

He shuddered as he recalled carrying her limp body back to Jimin’s house after their encounter with the bastard. The boys had all been frantic and panicked when they saw her condition. Taehyung had never felt more useless and guilty in his life. Even Suzy didn’t make him feel as badly as he felt when he saw Jisoo getting injured due to his ignorance.

The sound of approaching footsteps caught Taehyung’s attention and he looked up to see Namjoon motioning for him to follow him to the kitchen. He reluctantly stood and left Jisoo’s side, but not before casting her one last glance.

Once they were out of the dark living room and into the kitchen, Taehyung could see the concerned, serious expression on Namjoon’s face. The other five boys stood around the kitchen island and Taehyung realized they were all staring at him intently.

“What?” He asked flatly, wary of what they were going to say.

“You know what,” Jimin said, staring at his best friend straight in the eye. Taehyung averted his gaze, not because he was afraid of Jimin but because he did know what; he just didn’t want to acknowledge that his friends might be right.

“Jimin’s right,” Hoseok said quietly. “Even when we tried to protect Jisoo, in the end she still got hurt.”

The atmosphere suddenly dropped ten degrees as Taehyung nearly snarled. “So what? You want me to just abandon her again? Tell her I don’t love her and lie through my teeth?”

The other boys flinched at Taehyung’s icy tone but the fact that Taehyung just openly admitted his feelings for Jisoo was even more shocking to the boys.

“You…” Jin tried to form coherent words. “You really like her don’t you?”

Taehyung looked away, glaring at the ground. “More than Suzy. More than anyone, actually.”

“But she’s not safe! She was traumatized when you brought her back home,” argued Yoongi.

“I can protect her! It’ll all be over tomorrow!” Taehyung retorted.

Namjoon shook his head, intervening between the two arguing boys. “No, you can’t protect her and that’s why Bang Shihyuk got to her. You two aren’t being careful enough. You should’ve known better than to have her number stored on your phone.” Taehyung opened his mouth to argue but Namjoon cut him off. “Break up with her if you really love her. You don’t know what’s going to happen tomorrow. We can hope for the best but we’ll have to prepare for the worst.”

The boys went silent as the gravity of their situation finally sunk in. Hoping for the best meant coming out with a few bruises, broken bones and scratches, but still alive. Preparing for the worst meant… death.

“I know,” replied Taehyung. “I ing know that I couldn’t protect her but it doesn’t mean I’ll stop trying. You can’t tell me to break things off with her again when we just got back together. ‘Break up with her if you really love her’? Are you ing serious right now? I’ve come to realize that she’s in danger because she’s around me and Bang Shihyuk knows we’re associated but leaving her alone and abandoning her when that bastard already knows we’re connected is just plain stupid. I’m not leaving her.”

At the end of Taehyung’s rant, the other boys all exchanged glances before turning their focus back to the angry boy.

Jungkook spoke for the first time. “And what if you don’t come back? What if…” He trailed off but the boys immediately understood what he struggled to put in words.

Taehyung scowled, looking down. He knew the risks and he was willing to take them. “I promised her I’d never leave her again. I fully intend to come back alive and well.”

“But what if you don’t?” Jungkook asked again with urgency. “You can’t guarantee that. I know we don’t want to think about it but we can’t rule anything out! Don’t you think she’ll just be more hurt knowing you…” He swallowed thickly. “Died?”

“I’m not going to die.” Taehyung’s scowl softened slightly and his voice was firm, yet quiet. “I’m not going to die,” he repeated. “And I think it’s better living the present than ruining what I have now by worrying about the future.”

Jungkook stepped back, knowing he lost this argument.

“So what’re you going to do with her then?” Namjoon posed the question. “What if Bang Shihyuk kidnaps her when we go to the drug deal and holds her hostage? Do you think you could fight at your full potential knowing she’s in harms way?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter