Chapter 17

I Knew You Were Trouble
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jisoo’s eyelids felt heavy and weary as she struggled to open them. The drowsiness and sluggishness disappeared after a few moments and her body went on high alert as she recalled the tuft she had with the doctors. She started fidgeting, trying to muster strength to sit up again when she felt strong arms push her body back down on the bed.

“What’re you doing, stupid. You’re just gonna hurt yourself again.”

Jisoo felt her muscles tense at the familiar baritone voice and she didn’t dare look over in the direction the sound came from. Was she imagining things? Was the hospital really making her go crazy?

Taehyung frowned when he saw Jisoo turn her head away from him.

“Jisoo… Look at me,” he said firmly.

When she refused to turn her head, he stood up and hovered over her before cupping her face gently with his hands and turning her to face him. Her eyes turned wide at his touch and she automatically batted his hands away.

Taehyung’s frown deepened at this but before he could speak, the door barged open with a loud slam and the other boys came barreling into the room.

“Kitty, are you alright?!” Hoseok asked frantically, rushing to her bedside.

The other boys quickly followed suit and soon Jisoo was surrounded. She stared at each one of their faces before a small smile spread across her face.

“You guys are so silly. I’m not dead nor am I dying,” she replied sarcastically with a small chuckle.

Yoongi let out a hearty laugh and said, “Oh you’re definitely fine now. The sass couldn’t be any stronger.”

“You had us worried sick! You sure looked dead when you first arrived here,” Jin scolded.

Jisoo’s smile dimmed and she looked at the boys solemnly, actively avoiding Taehyung’s burning gaze.

“I’m sorry… I didn’t mean to worry you,” she said softly.

Jungkook pinched Jin in the side, causing him to glare at the younger boy.

“Don't even worry about it. He’s just like a mother hen. At least you’re better now,” Jungkook commented.

Namjoon nodded in agreement. “It’s good to see you up and awake, Jisoo. You’ve been going in and out of consciousness for the past few days and this is the first time you’ve stayed awake long enough to have an active conversation.”

Alarm spread across her face as she shot up straight from her bed, causing a light spell of dizziness. She gripped her head, willing the sudden headache to subside.

“Lay back down!” Jin chided, attempting to push her back down by grabbing her shoulders.

She batted his hands away and turned to face Namjoon. “How long have I been here?”

“Four days? Give or take,” he replied thoughtfully.

“Oh god. Oh god, oh god, oh god. Damn it,” she cursed under her breath.

Four days at the hospital was worth more than a months worth of paycheck. She didn’t need any problems added to her piling stack of burdens. Financial problems were already an issue for her and she didn’t need any more stress.

“We’ve got the bill taken care of,” Jimin said, reading her troubled face like an open book and ruffling her hair. “So turn that frown upside down.”

“What? No. You can’t. I don’t want to trouble you,” she protested but Jimin shushed her immediately.

“It’s no trouble, really. You’re a friend and what kind of people would we be if we just left you here on your own?” Jimin smiled at her.

The door opened again and their heads turned as Minju walked in. She walked towards Jisoo and gave a warm smile towards the girl.

“It’s good to see you moving and alert, Ms. Jisoo. Dr. Yi has given me orders to discharge you from the hospital this afternoon if you feel that you’re ready to go home. It’s perfectly fine if you feel the need to rest a bit more before leaving as you’ve been in a weakened condition for several days,” Minju explained.

“No,” Jisoo cut her off. “I’m ready to leave. Now.”

“Then if you could just sign the paperwork here,” Minju handed her a clipboard with several papers, “then we can handle that right now and you’ll be out in less than an hour.”

Jisoo took the clipboard and flipped through the pages, signing her name quickly before handing the clipboard back.

“I’ll come back to let you know when the paperwork’s gone through and you’re able to leave,” Minju said before heading out the door.

After the door clicked, Jisoo turned to the boys, a question nagging the back of her mind.

“How did the doctors proceed with treatment when I was unconscious? I don’t have any other legal guardians over me,” Jisoo questioned, baffled.

Jimin, Yoongi and Taehyung exchanged a glance before Jimin coughed lightly and replied quietly, “Um, we kind of said that we were your legal guardians?”

Silence fell over them as Jisoo stared at him in shock.

“Then… then you saw my files?” She asked softly, already knowing the answer.

Jimin nodded solemnly and she let out a shaky sigh, lying back down on her bed.

“Oh,” she said.

“Oh? That’s all you’re gonna say?” Yoongi asked.

“Oh.” She repeated.

“Why didn’t you tell us you were being abused by your family? Or about your PTSD?” Taehyung spoke up for the first time since the boys came in.

Her eyes turned jade cold and her tone was sharp as she replied, “I’m not obliged to tell you anything. If I remember correctly, you were the one who said you wanted me to stay away from you. Not to talk to you or look for you or touch you. Why are you back?”

No one missed the underlying rage and hurt in Jisoo’s voice.  At that moment, Minju reentered the room. She paused in her steps as she saw the tension on everyone’s face before continuing to Jisoo’s bedside.

“You’re free to go, Ms. Jisoo. Just leave the hospital gown on the b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter