Chapter 4

The Great Story

                There are a few things you should know about this character I’m about to introduce. 1) His name is Kim Jongin, but many call him Kai. 2) He is son of a wealthy businessman. 3) He has a thing for boys with big eyes. 4) The boys with big eyes usually don’t have a thing for him.

                Kai studies at the same university as Kyungsoo, the BxL fan. They even live on the same floor.  My first encounter with him was by accident. I was crossing the road when we accidentally bumped into each other. “Oops, sorry.” He said as he turned and moved on. I didn’t think much about a bump like that, but it would be the beginning of many future bumps.

                His father, Kim Daesung was one of the pioneers of South Korea’s fashion industry. He introduced the idea of leather pants, lingerie-inspired clothing and even the centre parting hair in the 90’s (which is probably not his finest work, but it did become popular). Now, the man has retired and is currently residing in a nice 10 acre land outside of Busan with his wife while his eldest daughter ran the company. His only son, Jongin was much too young and much too spirited to do any serious business.

                People say being the heir of a rich man is nice, but do you know what’s even better? Being the second child of a rich man. Why? Because you are shrugged off of all responsibilities on continuing the business, since it will go to the eldest one, and you still get paid. Your trust fund continues to blow up like a swollen foot and you don’t actually get to do any work. Not a bad payoff indeed. This explains why second children of rich families usually end up being rebellious, like Prince Harry.

                Kai isn’t rebellious, but he certainly isn’t obedient and responsible either. He’s a bit like a free spirit, who believes that the world is one big party and we should just go ahead celebrating. He loves indie music, lounging around on Saturday afternoon, going to clubs and chugging the occasionally beer down his throat. It’s like the old rock and roll line, it’s all about rock, and drugs (except the last one). If there was a hippie movement in Korea, Kai would be leading the troop down the streets, preaching love and peace with flowers in his hair and ridiculous tie-dye shirts.

                He got into university because of his family’s constant nagging, and probably because his sister threatened to stick her stiletto up his . He decided to enrol in dance, which is something he enjoys, so it wasn’t that bad. He started modelling for the fun of it, plus it filled his pockets with extra cash. The first time he met his friend Kyungsoo was at the basketball court.

                Kyungsoo was at the court snapping pics of the basketball game that was going on. He was a member of the photography club, which meant he was obliged to attend sport meets, bake sales, orientations and what not to snap pictures. He handled the DSLR camera like a professional, his fingers turning the lens with precise expertise.

                “Hi.”

                “Hi.” Kyungsoo answered, not even turning back to talk to him.

                “Are you busy?”

                “Can’t you tell?”

                “Too bad, I was hoping to talk to you.”

                That got the photographer to stop for a while. He turned and Kai could see the boy’s features properly. “Maybe some other time.”

                “You look like you know how to take pictures really well.”

                “Does it matter to you?”

                “Yes, I’m a part time model.”

                “Interesting.” Kyungsoo said, looking at Kai up and down. “Prove it.”

                Kai had to smirk at that. Proving was easy.

                SNAP. SNAP.

                “Not bad.” Kyungsoo scrolled. “Not exactly my kind, but you’re not bad.”

                “What do you mean not your kind?”

                “I like guys with fair skin and baby cheeks.” Kyungsoo grinned, shaking his wrist. It was only then Kai spotted the red wristband. The same one all the girls in university have been sporting lately.

                “Oh my god, you’re a BxL fan?”

                “Yes.” Kyungsoo furrowed his brows. “Why? Is that offending?”

                “What? Oh no, of course not. I’m just surprised, that’s all.”

                “Don’t be. They are the hottest item after all.” Kyungsoo smiled and went back to snapping pictures of the game.

                “So….who do you like best?”

                “Both. One doesn’t just decide between the hottest men on the planet.”

                Kai twisted his nose a little. “Well, turn your head because I’m not exactly chopped liver myself.”

                Kyungsoo did turn. He eyed Kai again. “You’re right.”

                “Thank you.”

                “You’re a chopped kidney.” Kyungsoo picked up his camera bag and walked past Kai, brushing his shoulders a little. “See you.”

                Kai could only turn to watch the petite boy with big eyes and beautiful lips walk away. He smiled to himself. Not 5 seconds has gone passed since Kyungsoo walked away, but he was already counting the seconds until he could see him again.

                                                                *****************

                “Thank you so much for joining us on Best of The Best! And for today, we have the hottest Kpop duo that’s making headlines all over the world! Please welcome BxL!”

                Baekhyun and Luhan clapped alongside the host, bowing their heads a little in respect. The glare from the lights the studio set up was rather overpowering and it made them sweat but it was fine. They were used to this. The host is very well known in Korea, but then again there have been so many well-known hosts, keeping track of names is difficult.

                “It is such a pleasure to have you guys with us today.”

                “Thank you, it’s a great honour to be here.” Baekhyun smiled politely. He is sitting closest to the host, since he’s the one who talks a bit more. Luhan doesn’t mind that since he gets tongue tied easily. Despite his easy jealousy, he admitted that having Baekhyun around does make his life easier

                “Let’s talk about your last song, Girls Love Me and The Boys Ain’t Far Behind. Can you tell us what exactly the concept of the song is?”

                “Well, the song is very peppy and has a nice summertime feel to it. The idea behind it is that we are so irresistible even the boys can’t help but be interested.” Baekhyun explained.

                “The music video itself is very bright and colourful. And since it’s a fun song we didn’t want it to be too serious so we added some funny scenes like the twerking man and the lady who shoots champagne from her s.” Luhan said with a particularly straight face.

                Rehearsed. Memorized. Planned.

                “Well I definitely enjoyed watching it! It was hilarious and I must say you boys look incredible as well. Did you expect the song to go viral?”

                “We didn’t actually think it would.” Baekhyun said. Humility. Humble. Down to earth. “We were so surprised when it did and we’re so thrilled. It’s all thanks to the fans that support us.” Stay grounded. Smile. Thank the fans. Always thank the fans. Luhan smiled into the camera and gave a thumbs up.

                “Well since we are on the topic of being irresistible, I’m sure the girls and maybe even some boys find you irresistible too. Can you show us a little of your charms?”

                Baekhyun’s hand automatically reached out to find Luhan’s. It’s Baekhyun’s classic signal of nervousness. He likes holding onto things (preferably actual humans rather than cold objects) when he’s nervous. Luhan caught his hand and squeezed it reassuringly. In truth, Luhan is a little nervous himself. He doesn’t even know what charms he has.

                “Baekhyun is really good at singing. And aegyo.” Luhan said, still holding onto Baekhyun’s hand as he smiled sheepishly. They have agreed on this, to help each other out on set. Luhan knew Baekhyun was nervous about showing off so he would always push him out. It helped to get the job done and make it seem like the two were really close.

                “Oh, can you sing something for us?” the host asked. Baekhyun cleared his throat and sang a few lines from another song on their album called Baby Don’t Cry. Luhan bopped his head alongside, listening intently. Hmm, his voice is shaky. Not to worry, the fans are usually none the wiser. He clapped once Baekhyun finished. He still sounds better than me.

                “Luhan, what about you?”

                “Luhan hyung is an awesome dancer.” Baekhyun said, tapping Luhan’s knee. Luhan got out and danced a little solo. The host cheered and Baekhyun clapped again.

                Rehearsed and repeated.

                “Let’s talk about you guys as a duo. Luhan, you trained for 7 years before debuting. What was your first impression of Baekhyun?”

                “Well, I thought Baekhyun was a little cheeky at first.” Luhan said, causing Baekhyun to burst into a fit of giggles. Luhan laughed at Baekhyun’s reaction before continuing. “He was so talented and I was like’ woah, how can a person like this exist’?”

                That was true.

                “So did you guys hit it off when you first met?”

                “Yeah. Baekhyun was very friendly.”

                That was not completely true.

                Yes, Baekhyun was friendly, but Luhan was intimidated. It took him a while to get used to his new partner.

                “What about you Baekhyun? What was your first impression of Luhan?”

                “Honestly speaking, at first I thought Luhan hyung was a girl.” The studio erupted in a fit of laughs as Luhan attacked Baekhyun and squeezed him playfully. Baekhyun hit his arm to show surrender before laughing off the situation himself.

                “But seriously, Luhan hyung was really handsome. He worked and trained so hard and he’s very mature.”

                That was true.

                “I feel like there’s so much I can learn from him. He’s also taking very good care of me so I rely on him a lot.”

                That was also very true. As much as Luhan wouldn’t admit it.

                “You guys seem to be very close. What would you be doing if you weren’t in show business?”

                “I’d be Luhan’s number one fan.” Baekhyun smiled, again reaching out for Luhan’s hand. “Luhan would still be popular. Being a singer is his dream.”

                “I’d hope to be Baekhyun’s friend at least. He’s a great guy to know and I’m happy to have him as my dongsaeng.” Luhan answered.

                I’ll let you decide if that one is true.

                “Thank you so much for the interview!” the host thanked them after they filmed the ending and yelled cut. After a few pictures, ready to be on Instagram and what not, the boys finally headed back to their dressing room.

                After a few thousand bows and wipes on their forehead, they could finally sit down and take a break. Luhan took off his sweaty jacket and blinked repeatedly. He didn’t really care for mascara and due to the sweat it felt like it was dripping into his eyes. Baekhyun was sitting on the couch and looking at his phone.

                “Ouch…”

                “Is your waist still hurting?”

                “Yeah.” Baekhyun, massaged his hip. He had injured it a few days ago learning a new choreography. Without proper time to rest it never healed completely.

                “What are you doing with your eye?” Baekhyun asked.

                “Removing some mascara. It’s dripping. I don’t get why the make-up artist insists in dressing me up like this.”

                “Probably because you’ll get all the honeys that way.” Baekhyun joked.

                “By dressing as a girl? I bet they can’t decide if they want to hate me or love me.”

                “Love you is more like it.” Baekhyun said.

                “Oh come on, we all know you’re the popular one.”

                “I think we’re equal. Besides, having all those crazy fangirls isn’t such a good thing.”

                “But it would boost your career.”

                “I guess so.” Baekhyun shrugged and just kept looking at his phone.

               “Alright boys!” their manager, Jodi walked in with one phone to her ear and two more in her hands. “Get your stuff, we have to be at the performance venue in half an hour.”

                Like lightning, stuffs were packed, trash was thrown and clothes were back on. They stopped to check their reflection and left the building amidst screaming fans, flashing lights, sweaty bodies and crazy sasaengs.

                “Oh my god!!! Luhan oppa!!”

                “Baekhyun oppa over here!!!”

                “AIEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!”

                “Are you guys tired?” Jodi asked as she got into the car after them. She locked the doors but the flash from the cameras still shone in their face. Baekhyun looked out to give a little wave.

                “Nope.”

                “We’re good.”

                That was a lie.

 

A/N: As much as this I want this story to be fluffy and funny, I also want it to carry a message, hence the name Great Story. A Great Story wouldn't be great if you wouldn't learn anything from it, right? XD

With everything that has been happening in the world and in the EXO fandom, you can be sure that they are the inspiration for this story. I won't tell you much in case I spoil it but I will tell you one thing, be prepared for a few surprises along the way! XD Those who read Porcelain Dolls will know that that's what I do best!

Oh D.O XD