Chapter 29

The Great Story

                “It’s nice of Kris to take us out to dinner tonight.” Tao said, spraying the ends of his hair with sticky hairspray. I checked my face in the mirror of our bathroom. Tao is getting himself all preened and pretty for his boyfriend (the name still makes his tummy tingle, and mine lurch, but I don’t wanna spoil it) while I try my best to look presentable for Joonmyun at least.

                “He said he has something to announce, I do hope it’s something good.”

                “It has to be, why else would he be taking us to the best restaurant in town?”

                “I hope it has nothing to do with the mediation tomorrow.”

                “Oh yeah,” Tao put the hairspray back and turned around. “How does my look?”

                “Big.”

                “Good.” Tao chuckled. “I was going for that.”

                “What would you have done if I told you it was flat?”

                “Change into a new pair of jeans. I need to carry the booty with me.”

                “I’m sure Kris likes you for more than your booty.” I smiled.

                “I just like dressing up for him. You know how it feels like, to have someone that you want to dress up for, and you feel like a million bucks around him.”

                “I just feel good whenever Joonmyun is around.” I sat on the toilet seat cover. “I don’t think he would care how I look like. I wouldn’t care how he looks like either.”

                “Out of new clothes?”

                “Yeah.” I groaned.

                “Don’t just sit there. Get into my closet and pick out something!”

                “Seriously?”

                “Yeah! Except the leather pants, they would be way too tight on you.” Tao shook his head.

                “It would at least give me a booty.”

                Tao slapped my and I ran off laughing.           

                “Well, don’t you two look good?” Kris said when he arrived, going straight into Tao’s arms and kissing him. “My date looks like he just left the runway of Alexander McQueen.”

                “And mine looks like he just woke up.” Joonmyun gave me a hug. “Clean, fresh and natural. The way I like it.”

                “You just mean I’m messy. Oh god, how’s my hair?!”

                “You look great Xingie! I’m just teasing you!” he laughed and tried to pull me closer.

                Dinner was a pleasant affair. It was the first time in a while that we’ve had such a nice dinner. When dessert rolled out, Kris finally dropped a bomb on his announcement.

                “I have discussed with my lawyers and we’ve come with a conclusion for tomorrow’s mediation.”

                “Which is?” I crossed my fingers.

                “I’ve decided to do Baekhyun a favour, and terminate his contract.”

                Silence enveloped across the dinner table. I don’t know why, but you think we would be expecting this by now, but to hear the final words sting you like a knife. This is the final nail in the coffin.

                “No compensation? That doesn’t sound like you.” Joonmyun sipped his wine.

                “Oh there will be compensation. That can be further discussed tomorrow. The monetary issues will not be settled for a while.” Kris clicked his tongue and pondered for a while. “I’m tired of fighting for something that clearly doesn’t want to return. Perhaps this is the best for both of us.”

                “I’m sure this was not an easy decision for you.” Tao said, holding Kris’s hand.

                “Actually, I think I knew I had to do this all along.” He looked up at us and finally at me. “Do you get what I mean?”

                I do. I do indeed.

                Tao decided to stay over at Kris’s penthouse for a night, while Joonmyun dropped me back at our house. It was a short walk to the porch, but I dragged it out slowly. I held his hand and listened to the crickets chirp.

                “I had a great time tonight, thank you for taking me out.” I smiled. As usual, I always smile and say thank you for a good time.

                I don’t want to be cheesy but I swear this happened. We both paused to look at each other for a while, before Joonmyun closed the gap and put his lips on mine.

                I’m going to be honest, he tasted like cheese and wine and a hint of chocolate from the dessert we had, but I bet I taste even worse. Our breaths probably stunk but his arms were strong and his body was warm. “I’ve been wanting to do that since I met you.”

                “I’m sorry you had to wait so long.”

                “It was worth it.” He smiled.

                He stepped through the door and followed me inside. I let his arms carry me around, and his lips cover my body. That night, we were on fire.

                                                                ***************************

                Luhan kissed Sehun. Over and over again.

                Sehun agreed to take up Jongin’s offer as the lead for MCM. He decided there was no sense in giving up a good opportunity. He went for a meeting to confirm his positon and returned with good news. Luhan couldn’t stop kissing him after that.

                “Stop it Luhan!” Sehun laughed, trying to push Luhan away. “I get it, you’re happy for me, but my face is wet from all your kisses.”

                “Just one last one please!”

                “No! Stop it!” Sehun never thought he would live to tell Luhan not to kiss him. It’s ridiculous.

                “MUUUUUUACKS!!!!” Luhan didn’t care and planted another one on him. Sehun sighed and giggled. He grabbed Luhan by the waist and kissed him back.

                “No no! Sehun stop! Sehun!! AIEEEEE!!” Luhan squealed when Sehun tickled him and the couple fell off the couch in the practice room. Sehun straddled him and started breathing into Luhan’s neck, driving the man below him insane.

                “Should we be here?” Jongdae raised an eyebrow when he spotted the lovebirds on the floor as he entered the room. “You better be careful to not let Kris spot you and throw you out.”

                Speaking of Luhan’s scandal, Kris had no choice but to confirm the rumours to be true. Luhan and Sehun maintained a low profile since the news broke out and just as well, it gave Luhan the time he needed to rest. Luhan’s solo career was still very much in the plans, but it seems that things have sort of…slowed down a little.

                I would prefer not to talk about the response to Luhan’s homouality. It would be a whole different story. Let’s just say it was not very well taken, but the damage has been done. Luhan decided to not say a word regarding his uality until the whole case blew over. I can’t say that it has been very easy, but Luhan did seem much happier to be out of the spotlight for a while now.

                “Right.” Sehun laughed as he climbed off Luhan’s body and helped the singer up. Jongdae shook his head at the lovebirds. “When I told you that Sehun could come and visit you during practice, I meant to sit down and watch you, not distract you.”

                “Got it.” Luhan nodded. “Now come on people, time is money.” Jongdae imitated Kris’s infamous line and Luhan sniggered. “Let’s work on the song one more time.”

                This is one of those moments that make Luhan’s blood boil in excitement. Working on a song, his song, a song that was tailored to match him perfectly. Dancing his way to stardom and loving the eyes that were on him as he did. The way the beat of the music pumps his heart in tune with it and the feeling of pride when he finished his practice. He loved the little smirk on Sehun’s face when Luhan ed into the air. The lyrics were just like any other typical love song, about being enamoured and swept away by someone. When you are in love, every love song is about you.

                Luhan left the practice room after a couple of hours to head to the bathroom. On his way there, he passed by some of the background dancers, who gave him a friendly wave. Luhan would have probably gone on his way, but instead he slowed his steps when he heard the dancers talking.

                “So his boyfriend came to practice eh?”

                “Yeah, isn’t it adorable?”

                “Sure, if you like gay guys I guess.”

                “Now come on, don’t be like that. I think they are perfect for each other.”

                “Whatever, we’ll see how long he lasts as a gay celebrity. His career will tank for sure.”

                “But the world is much more open to homouality now.”

                “Which world are you in? We’re in South Korea. We have better luck being blind and deaf in this country.”

                “Between you and me, I don’t think he’s that great of a performer either. He’s just a shell of what Baekhyun left behind.”

                “He’s just average. The only reason he’s going to get anywhere is because of that pretty face and Starling’s name. I bet we can do better than him.”

                “No Sherlock.”

                The dancers laughed and left the place. Luhan stayed rooted in his spot, curling his fingers.

                He most definitely regretted listening to them.

                When he got back into the practice room, the dancers smiled and acted as if nothing happened, as if they weren’t just talking about him minutes ago. Luhan simply put his bottle down and stated he was going to rehearse until late at night and the dancers would have to dance with him. “After all we don’t want anyone to think I’m just a pretty face, right?”

                The dancers kept quiet.

                                                                                **************************

                The day of the mediation came and passed like a soft breeze, barely noticeable. I knew it was D-Day because Kris left for court much earlier than anticipated, but I was also kept busy with many other activities that I wasn’t even given time to be nervous about it.

                I learnt that Baekhyun and Chanyeol did not come down for the mediation and instead was represented by the lawyers instead since Chanyeol’s mother fell ill. So Baekhyun never resurfaced. When Kris came back to the office, it was late at night and Tao had already prepared dinner for him, taken away and placed on his desk.

                “Hey.” I said as he entered, shrugging off his jacket. His eyes were tired and he looked beaten down. He saw me and gave me a small smile.

                “Did you get the press conference ready for tomorrow?”

                “All calls made and planned.”

                “Good.”

                “So how was it?” Tao asked.

                “It’s over.” Kris sighed. “Finally.”

                I ran into his arms and Tao behind me. We hugged out every bit of sadness, disappointment, longing, and frustration and stayed that way until relief makes it way in.

                                                                                ****************************

                “As you all know, Byun Baekhyun has decided to pull out of his exclusive contract with us.” Kris said, looking down on his paper. The flash of the cameras wouldn’t stop, even though they have clearly been told to. “And as a result of the mediation, we have come to an agreement that his contract is now well and fully terminated.”

                No one in the crowd looked surprised. They must have expected this.

                “Has he decided to pursue a solo career?” one of the audience asked.

                “Er, no. He has decided to pull out from show business altogether.”

                Now that seemed to garner some interest. The audience started sitting upright as they typed away in their laptops and snapped even more pictures. I told the guards to please hold them down.

                “He has decided to pull out due to personal reasons.” Then he folded the paper. “I just want to make one thing clear to all the fans and everyone who has ever invested in our company and in BxL.”

                He took a deep breath. “We are not saying goodbye to him as a person. We’re saying goodbye to the thought of him being with us forever. Goodbye to the future plans, concerts, singles, commercials, music videos, dreams and ideals that we have about him. Goodbye to whatever he might or could have had if he stayed with us. Knowing who and exactly what you are saying goodbye to helps the moving on process, just a little bit.”

                “As a former employer, we would like the media and the fans to give not only us, but Byun Baekhyun the privacy he needs to go through this transition. Your support is loved, but please refrain from leaving any traces of negativity. We promise that we’ll be back soon, better and stronger than before. Your cooperation is very much appreciated.”

                And just like that, he bowed for the last time and walked off the stage. The press conference was over. Kris and I walked in through the backstage as we let the guards handle the press. Our job ends here; whatever we can say or do about the situation is over.

                “That was a very nice thing to say.” I said, handing him his water.

                “Well of course. What do you think I am, an animal?” he said, shrugging as if it meant nothing to him. But I saw the glint in his eyes.

                “Of course not sir.” I smiled.

                “Did you make my reservations for this Saturday?”

                “This Saturday?” I looked at him quizzically.

                “Of course.” He said, straightening his outfit. “We do have a wedding to attend after all. Did you find a date?”

                “I…uh…” I couldn’t contain my smile. “Not yet sir.”

                “Well then get on it. Better not waste any time or all the good hotels are booked. When you do get a room, call them and tell them to leave a bottle of champagne and some chocolates. Tao likes that. Do you need help calling a date? Or shall I just call him myself? I do have Suho’s number too you know.”

                “Right sir.” I gave him a mock military salute and pulled out the iPad, trying to hide my dumb smile. I found the perfect hotel and booked two suites and champagne with chocolates for both rooms.

                What? He didn’t say one room.

 

 

A/N: One more chapter until the end! XD