Chapter 12

The Great Story

                “Stand a little bit to the left.”

                “Here?”

                “Yeah. Oh yeah, that’s good. A little bit more to the right. Good! Hold that pose!”

                SNAP SNAP SNAP

                Kyungsoo was distracted by the sound of a camera. He was just coming back from his fan club meeting, where they were making signs for BxL’s comeback showcase. With a bag full of markers and paints he was walking down the street with a cup of coffee in his hand when he heard the sound of a camera clicking away. Kyungsoo is a photographer, and nothing catches his attention more than another camera.

                He made a turn down the side alley and caught the sight of a lady’s silouhette. He’s usually not up for spying or sneaking or eavesdropping for that matter, but what if it’s a famous celebrity? What if it’s BxL themselves? He could tell his fan club about how he met the boys themselves and what they were wearing and what they were doing and how good they looked…

                But why are they in an alley in the first place? Oh what the hell, check first and question later. Kyungsoo whipped his head, temporarily blinded by the lights set up by the crew of the supposed photoshoot.

                He has blonde hair!! Is it LUHAN?!?!??!? Kyungsoo crept up close and ducked down, peeking through legs to see a pair under the lights. Hmm, skinny with good shoes. Still pretty hard to tell.

                “Okay, we’re done here.”

                What?! No no no! Don’t go!!

                “Let’s move somewhere else. We’ve got enough shots here.”

                “Okay.”

                Hmm, that voice is a little gruffer than Luhan’s. Who is he? Gosh he does sound terribly familiar though. Oh snap!! No time to even try and figure out who it is because the crew started moving. Kyungsoo ducked back behind the corner and hid among the trash cans and empty crates of beer. He could hear the shuffling of feet and muffled voices a few feet from him.

                He came out again after a couple of minutes and trailed after the crew. He came out of the alley and saw that they had turned down to another street, but he could not see his elusive celebrity. He pulled out his phone and turned another direction. He knew this place. He grew up in Seoul. There’s not a single shortcut that the boy isn’t familiar with.

                With his phone camera , he raced down the other side of the street, watching the crew carefully. He took note of the blonde fellow in a black and white printed hoodie and tight pants. He raced to the end, just as the crew was about to turn towards him in the same direction. This is it!! Who is this celebrity?

                He saw a familiar face with a deep set of eyes and he couldn’t even begin to feel disappointed when he heard shouts yelling “Watch out!!” A motorcycle horn blared in his ear as one of the Korean delivery boys raced on the pavement, directly towards Kyungsoo. A strong hand pulled him away as the horns continued blasting away. The delivery boy cursed in Korean, raising his fist.

                “Watch where you’re going!!” the owner of the arms around Kyungsoo yelled back. Kyungsoo thought his saviour also flipped the delivery boy off, but it’s too vague to tell because he’s too distracted by the sound of his own heartbeat. He lifted his eyes and looked up at the supposed celebrity.

                It’s just Kai, a.k.a Kim Jongin.

                “You would have been killed by that bastard you crazy stalker.” He teased, looking down into Kyungsoo’s round eyes. Kyungsoo pushed him away and scoffed.

                “I am not a stalker.”

                “You were totally stalking me. I could see you following me!”

                “That’s because I thought you were someone else!”

                “Who were you expecting? Luhan? Or Baekhyun?”

                Yeah, kind of. Kyungsoo just clicked his tongue and ignored him.

                “Well I’m happy that you see some resemblance in me to your favourite idol, though no offense, I think I look better.” Jongin smiled smugly.

                “Yeah right. You don’t stand a chance against him okay?” Kyungsoo defended, dusting his jeans.

                “So this is what I get for saving your life? A comparison against a skinny idol and a glare?”

                “You started it!” Kyungsoo just spat back like a child out of arguments. He wanted to just leave, but not without checking out Jongin’s attire.

                “Are you modelling?”

                “Yeah. Hence the clothing and the makeup.” He pointed to his heavily made up eyes. “This is my second shoot in one day.”

                “Your second? Most people don’t even get one.”

                “It’s my handsome looks that win the clients over.”

                “You’re sure your dad has nothing to do with this?” Kyungsoo sneered, knowing Jongin came from a wealthy background.

                “So what if it did? It’s my skills that will keep the clients coming back.”

                Fair enough. Kyungsoo didn’t and couldn’t argue with that. “I’ll see you back at the dorms then.”

                “Wanna go out for dinner when I get back?”

                “Again?” Kyungsoo narrowed his eyes. “But I went with you last week.”

                “So? You ate last week. You gotta eat again today.” Jongin shrugged. “Why? Are you offended?”

                “No,” it’s because no one really wants to eat with me. Even my own roommate says that. He thinks every tenth word that comes out of my mouth is about BxL. That’s not true. It’s about the 20th word. “I’ll see you then.”

                “Sure. Bye!”

                “Bye!” Kyungsoo waved his friend goodbye and walked back to the subway station. He turned to get another look at Jongin, posing against the wall. He did look good, and he was pretty good at posing. The boy is not without his skills after all. Kyungsoo continued on, deciding that BxL was better.

                Back on the subway, Kyungsoo surfed the web for more BxL updates. He flipped the pictures of Luhan and Baekhyun in his phone. He looked at Luhan’s photo intently. How did I just mistake Jongin for Luhan?! That is just stupid! Oh if anyone found out about this I’d be dead! Luhan is the hottest boy on the planet! And Jongin is just…Jongin.

                I mean, he’s kinda cute too. But Luhan is way more gorgeous!

                He’s just a college kid. Luhan is a superstar!

                He can’t sing.

                He can’t da…no wait he can.

                He’s not as funny as Baekhyun.

                He’s annoying. He is. Very annoying.

                Therefore, he does not stand a chance against BxL.

                He’s just a friend of mine.

                He could come up with a million reasons why Baekhyun and Luhan were better than someone lazy teenage brat of a model, but he couldn’t come up with one to explain why his heart was thumping when Jongin held him close.

                                                                ********************

                “There you go.” Tao penned down his signature on the contract. “Signed and certified. So when can I start work?”

                “How soon can you start? Perhaps you would like to meet the directors tomorrow.” I took the contract and put the pen back.

                “Sounds good.”

                “Yixing, what is my schedule for tomorrow?”

                “Er, you have a meeting at the with the styling department tomorrow, lunch with Michael Bay, conference with Ang Lee and tea with Kim Woobin.”

                “Cancel the tea so that I can be there for the meeting with the directors of this movie tomorrow.”

                “Right sir.”

                “What about after this?”

                “You’re taking Mdm. Wu to the spa.”

                “Oh yeah.” Kris immediately groaned. “I forgot about the darn thing.”

                “Is Mdm. Wu your mother?” Tao asked.

                “No, she’s my grandmother.” Kris sighed. “Every month she has an appointment at the spa and this time it’s my turn to take her.”

                “Aw how sweet.” Tao smiled. “Grandma’s boy.”

                “Don’t push it.” Kris glared but Tao just shrugged carelessly. “Now you know how it feels to be called princess.”

                “It’s not my fault you act like one.”

                “Well it’s not my fault you act like a grandma’s boy either.”

                “You put mustard in my sandwich.” Kris glared.

                “Just doing someone a favour.” We fist bumped behind his back.

                “You are so lucky you didn’t get chewed out.” I told Tao as I walked him out. “The last person who tried ended up getting fried, dumped by his wife, abandoned by his mouth and is now in jail.”

                “Kris did all of that?!”

                “No he was dumped because he was a cheater, abandoned because he stole his mother’s money and is now in jail because he stole more than just his mother’s money. But Kris did report him.”

                “Oh god,” Tao breathed a sigh of relief. “I can’t help it if he pushes my buttons. But he is cute today.”

                “Oh so he has degraded from hot to cute?” I snickered.

                “In a good way.” We giggled our way out of the building as I sent him off.

                Later that day, Kris offered to send me home again. I didn’t say anything about it, but my mouth is twitching. Dear lord it is so obvious my boss has a crush on my housemate.

                “Is this going to be a daily thing?” I managed to ask him. Kris cleared his throat and answered “Yeah I guess. You’ve been doing a great job lately and I feel like keeping you around me a little longer.”

                “This has nothing to do with my housemate? Who looks incredible in the leather jeans he wore today?” I raised an eyebrow.

                “No, of course not.” Kris scoffed. “I’m trying to be nice here.”

                “Sorry sir.” A quiet silence enveloped us again.

                “By the way it’s ripped leather jeans he was wearing.”

                “What did you say?!”

                “Oh looks like we’re here.” The car came to a screeching halt in front of our house. I stared at my boss, trying to come up with coherent words. I turned to see Tao waving from the kitchen. Kris waved back and he leaned to open my door.

                “I’ll see you tomorrow then.”

                “Er, yeah sure.” He sped off, burning tire and left a trail of exhaust smoke behind. I went in and Tao greeted me with a hug.

                “He sent you back home today?”

                “Yeah. It’s gonna be an everyday thing from now on.”

                “How was it? Was it awkward? Did you learn any new dirt on him?”

                “Let’s just say,” I patted his and . “He is so digging your leather jeans.”

                “And the booty has did its job.” Tao patted his own and we laughed so loudly Kris could probably hear us.

                                                                ******************

                Dinner with Jongin wasn’t unpleasant, but it certainly wasn’t exciting either. Kyungsoo wished he was back in his room, watching dramas with a cup of instant noodles in his hands. He dug at his plate of rice, checking his phone constantly for updates on Twitter.

                “Could you put the phone down for a minute?”

                “I’m not holding it. It’s on the table.”

                “Gimme that.” Jongin reached out for the phone and snatched it away. He turned the screen off and put it to one side. ‘If you can go through the entire dinner without checking your phone, I’ll pay.”

                “Really?!” There’s nothing Kyungsoo enjoys more than a free meal. “You’re on.”

                “Fine.” Jongin took his own phone out and started playing. Kyungsoo’s eyes widen in protest. “Hey! You can’t do that!”

                “Yes I can. I’m betting on you, not me.” Jongin smirked, pretending to scroll through something important. “Oh look, BxL’s new teaser is out!”

                “It came out an hour ago. Saw it.”

                “Miley Cyrus is getting married in Vegas!”

                “Not interested.”

                “Aliens declare war against earth.”

                “Don’t care.”

                “Lee Donghae announces wedding date with Eunhyuk.”

                “Not surprised.”

                “Baekhyun’s secret relationship revealed!”

                “What?! Where?!” Kyungsoo reached for his phone and Jongin cackled evilly.

                “You lost!! I win!!”

                “That is not fair! You heckled me!”

                “You couldn’t resist being away from your phone no matter how ridiculous it is.” Jongin said. Kyungsoo put down his face and scowled in annoyance. “What is it about all this that makes you so crazy about them?”

                “You wouldn’t understand.”

                “Try me.”

                “No.”

                “I’ll pay if you tell me.”

                “Okay.” So on that night, Kyungsoo told him everything. His father’s death, his family, his love for photography, his fan club, his fanfiction addiction, everything. It’s a first for him to tell this to anyone. And Jongin didn’t say a word. He listened, he paid and he walked Kyungsoo back to their dorm.

                “You must think I’m ridiculous.” Kyungsoo said before going back in.

                “Not really. I mean I’m not that sane either. I’m obsessed with puppies, I don’t like fish and I eat way too much chicken.” Jongin chuckled. “You’re cute anyways.”

                “What?” Kyungsoo looked back at him.

                “I said you’re cute.” Jongin leaned forward and gave him a peck on the forehead. Kyungsoo blinked his large eyes.

                “See you tomorrow.”

                “See you.”

                He kissed me.

                He thinks I’m cute.

                He kissed me.

                It wasn’t really a kiss, more of like a peck.

                He kissed me.

                He kissed me.

                He kissed me.

                He kissed me.

                Of all people, me.

                Me.

                Me.

                Him.

                Him.

                Jongin.

                Kyungsoo fell asleep chanting his name.

 

 

A/N: As you can see, the couples are moving on forward! I'm having so much fun writing about Tao and Kris I have to tell you. Tao is quite honestly my favourite character to write.

So...EXO-L was annouced a couple of days ago and yeah, the name is super cheesy but it's kind of grown on me now. The thing is that there is so much internet traffic and I'm still waiting for the ing verification email to come in. Seriously, if I see 'Runtime Error' or 'We're sorry but...' I will KILL someone. Seriously!!! This is annoying!!!

Anyways, subbies, comments and upvotes are much appreciated!!