Chapter 10

The Great Story

                When Luhan woke up after a few hours of light sleep, he felt like everything that had happened 8 hours ago was a dream. Everything, from the pizza to the kiss to the heartbeat  and to the fact that he couldn’t sleep well.

                He got up and dragged his body. They were supposed to do another photo shoot later in the afternoon so if there’s any luck, Luhan will miraculously feel better by then. He walked out to the living room and saw Baekhyun cleaning the tables, one hand holding the pizza boxes.

                “Seems like you guys had a good time.” Baekhyun teased. He turned his head and actually got a good look at Luhan, who looked more like the bride of Frankenstein than Kpop’s most beautiful male.

                “Luhan hyung? What happened to you?”

                “Something happened.” Luhan fell on the couch, combing out the blonde waves in his hair. “Baekhyun, can I trust you?”

                “Well we share an apartment, dance together, sing together, sometimes shower together and eat together. If you can’t trust me by now then we’ve got a problem.” Baekhyun chuckled, his face turning serious when he saw Luhan sigh deeply. “What’s wrong?”

                “It’s about Sehun.”

                “Your friend?”

                “That’s the thing.” Luhan stopped. “Do friends kiss each other?”

                “Did Sehun kiss you last night?”

                Luhan nodded.

                “And did you enjoy it?”

                Did he? Luhan didn’t answer.

                Why didn’t he?

                Simple. Because he was supposed to say no.

                Baekhyun simply smiled and crawled to where Luhan was. He put a hand on his knee and rubbed it slowly. “He sounds like a nice guy. I guess he liked you more than you think, and you like him more than you think.”

                “But I’m not supposed to feel anything! He’s just my friend!”

                “There’s no ‘supposed to’ when it comes to love. There are all sorts of rules for love that we set and none of us actually follows it anyways.” Baekhyun explained. “Forget about the fact that you weren’t supposed to do this. The point is, what do you want to do about it now?”

                “I was hoping you would be able to help me. You seem to know more about love. Tell me what to do.”

                “Talk to him, Luhan. It won’t solve all problems but it might clear up some questions. I know you’re confused, but imagine what Sehun is thinking. He just kissed his best friend too. He is probably even more confused than you.”

                “What if all of this was just a one-time thing? What if it was all because we were too wrapped up in the heat of the moment?”

                “Just ask him then. If it was a one-time thing then it shouldn’t bother you or Sehun. You guys can continue living your lives as usual. It’s only when it’s not a one-time thing then you’ve got to start worrying.”

                Baekhyun sure made love sound so easy. Like it was just 1 plus 1 equals to two. Like putting salt into soup.Like slipping on flip flops. Like it was all about just talking.

                Funny thing about love is that it really is just that simple. Love is all about two people with mutual feelings for each other. I think sometimes we make love complicated because we are complicated.

                That afternoon, during their photo shoot for a cosmetics brand, whatever time Luhan was supposed to have spent worrying about his shots and comparing them to Baekhyun’s flawless ones he spent it staring at his phone and trying to decide if he should call Sehun. He was rather distracted, but being the professional he is, he managed to pull off the shoot without being yelled at, but he knew Baekhyun and his manager Jodi noticed the change in his demeanour.

                “If it’s killing you, just call him.” Baekhyun said, letting the make-up artist touch up his face.

                “What if he’s busy? What if he doesn’t want to talk to me because he’s embarrassed?”

                “You’ll never know unless you call him.” Baekhyun rolled his eyes. “Just do it or I’ll call him.”

                “But what if…”

                “Okay that’s it.” Baekhyun tried to reach out for Luhan’s phone. The duo fidgeted in their chairs as Baekhyun tried to snatch the phone and Luhan was trying to avoid him.

                “Okay! Okay! I’ll call him!” Luhan slapped Baekhyun’s hand away. He stared at his phone and paused again. “But what if…”

                “Luhan?”

                “Sehun!!” Luhan almost doubled over and fell in his chair. Sehun caught the blonde in his seat and pulled him up. Luhan felt himself being pulled up in the gentlest yet powerful way possible. Wow, Sehun’s pecs are really impressive. Wait, why the hell did I just say that?

                “How did you know I was here?” Luhan asked, straightening himself out.

                “Baekhyun texted me.”

                “How did you get Sehun’s number?” Luhan flipped his head to look at his teammate. Baekhyun simply shrugged and waved a hand.

                “Luhan, you have been staring at his number all day and you don’t have the smallest phone on the planet, okay? As your teammate and best friend, it’s my job to help you, even if it means stealing your boyfriend’s number and texting him myself.” Baekhyun smirked. “You have to give the boy some credit though. I texted him 10 minutes ago and here he is. He must have rushed here for your sake.”

                “He is not my…did you really rush here for me?” Luhan snapped his head back at Sehun, eyes widening in a mix of surprise, disbelief and a tiny tinge of happiness. Baekhyun got up from his seat. “I’ll give you two some privacy.”

                “Sehun, we need to talk about last night.”

                “I agree, that’s why I came here.” Sehun said, pulling Luhan to a small corner.

                “Last night was…” Luhan started, putting his hands into his back pockets. How does one start a conversation like this? Last night was hot but I don't like you despite the fact I was really by you? “It was…anyways, Sehun I need to tell you that I…”

                “I know, you’re not looking for a relationship.” Sehun said, putting one hand up to stop him. “If anyone found out that you were dating now, it would be the end of your career.”

                “Well yeah and that and the fact that we…”

                “I know, we’re just friends.” Sehun said. How was it possible that Sehun knew Luhan so well? 

                “Let’s just pretend it didn’t happen.” Sehun said. “It was a mistake. I let myself get in the heat of the moment. We both let ourselves go too far.”

                Luhan nodded. He looked at Sehun and bit his lip. “Are we still okay then?”

                “Sure.” Sehun gave a soft smile and pat his friend on the shoulder. “Don’t worry. I won’t let you get in trouble.”

                “Thanks Sehun.”

                “That’s what friends are for eh?” Sehun chuckled. “I have to go. Catch ya later.” He waved and left the building. Luhan watched his best friend leave the building and heaved a sigh of relief. Good. They were still friends. Just friends.

                “Baekhyun!!” Luhan ran to find his teammate. “I just finished talking to Sehun.”

                “Great! So how was it?” Baekhyun looked at him expectantly.

                “We agreed to pretend it never happened.” The doe-eyed singer smiled, although he did notice the drop in Baekhyun's smile. “It’s not the right time to be in a relationship. He said he just caught up in the heat of the moment, that’s all.”

                “Really?” Baekhyun raised an eyebrow at him. “So there is no way, in heaven or earth, even if the skies fall and even if you turn 65 with white hair, you guys will be together?”

                “I guess so.”

                “Right.” Baekhyun nodded slowly. Luhan caught a glimpse at Baekhyun’s doubtful face but he just assumed his teammate was still delirious, fantasising about Sehun and Luhan actually being together.

                They are just friends.

                After a radio interview and a meeting with the organizers of their comeback showcase, they finally returned back to the dorm. They were going to film their new music video tomorrow and Kris had told them to get some proper rest for the next few days are going to be very long (as if the other days haven’t been long either). Baekhyun rolled his eyes at their boss and when they went back, he volunteered to make some soup while they laughed at Kris’s ridiculous expectation that they would be all ‘chipper and energized’ the next day when it was already 3 in the morning.

                Luhan went to bed, feeling anxious for the next day (technically it was already the next day, so it should be when daylight comes in). He memorized his lines and murmured them at his lips, rehearsing as much as he could. He didn’t want to screw him his first opportunity at acting. He ran his hands through his hair, listening to Moonlight in his head and closing his eyes.

                When he did, Sehun came into his mind. His beautiful brown hair, soft eyes, gentle hands and strong arms. His deep voice, his scent of lavender and sandalwood, his lips, his touch, the way he breathed against Luhan’s skin, the way he touched Luhan like a beautiful piece of porcelain, the way he made Luhan feel… Luhan jerked his eyes open, and Sehun’s image disappeared. All he could see was the blackness of the night before him. Suddenly, Luhan felt terribly empty.

                Being friends is good. He still had Sehun. He wouldn’t lose his best friend. Sehun was still going to be there. He would keep his career scandal free. His future was protected. He was going to be a star. A perfect star. The one everybody loves.

                As happy as Luhan was supposed to feel, he also felt terribly empty, a feeling he clearly wasn’t supposed to feel.

                It was as if the idea of being just friends,hurts him.

                                                                ***********************

                “Okay, so on a scale of 1 to ten, how hot is Kris?”

                “You already called him , how hot do you think he can be?” I said, chewing my doughnut as we rode the elevator. Tao was busy fixing himself in the reflection of the elevator’s glass pane, swiping his hair and checking his attire.

                “ doesn’t mean hot. means . but not hot, not so great combination…”

                “But and hot makes it a one-way ticket to heaven?” I laughed. “He’s an 8 to me.”

                “Fine, then he’s a 5 for me.”

                I almost choked on my doughnut. “A five?! You haven’t even met him yet!”

                “That’s the point. I only have one rule. If someone labels a hot guy as 6 or higher, you must deduct 3 points so that you can keep your standards lower and you won’t be disappointed. There is no such thing as a perfect 10, unless you’re Justin Timberlake, George Clooney and Johnny Depp rolled up into one, which spells I-M-P-O-S-I-B-L-E.”

                “Impossible has two s.”

                “Whatever? Why do they have to make that word so difficult?”

                “Hence the word impossible.” I cackled. Tao just rolled his eyes at me, obviously not catching the joke. Fine, go ahead and be a stickler.

                “I’m not going to be paired with Colin again, am I?”

                “Nah, Colin has left. Last I heard, he was working on a nuclear space program.”

                “Really?”

                “Either that or he’s voicing the Chinese version of Dexter’s Laboratory.”

                “He would fit the character like a glove.” Tao said. We got into Kris’s waiting room and I motioned for Tao to sit down. “You want anything to drink?”

                “Water would be good.”

                “Sure.” I walked to the water dispenser and poured out a cup. I could see Tao staring into the glass of Kris’s office in front of him. The glass was semi-tinted, so you could see, but not really clearly. Kris had a meeting with some investor from Dubai early this morning. I was in the office, engulfed in the smell of the man’s overpowering cologne and heavy cigar scent and then Tao called me. Judging by the way the smell has wafted off and the big burly Dubai investor’s shoulders were now replaced with smaller ones, it must be someone else now.

                “Tao, what are you doing?” I asked him, bringing the cup of water.

                “Trying to check Kris out.” Tao moved left and right in quick, short motions, arms waving everywhere and he almost hit me and the cup.“Oh my god! I see him!” with a frantic jerk upwards, he hit the cup and sent the water all over my face.

                “Damn it, he turned the other way.” Tao groaned. “Hey, why did you spill the water?”

                “Oh, I was looking to rehydrate my face.”  The sarcasm is on a new high here.

                “You look good honey, now don’t block my view.” Tao pushed me aside as I rolled my eyes. I wiped myself dry with towels and got him another cup. I have a very high patience and tolerance level so it takes a lot to irritate me. Tao is too lovable to be irritated at, but if I get anymore unnecessary hydration procedures I will kick him in the nuts (which may or may not result in me getting my own nuts kicked, Tao is a wushu master after all).

                “I’ll think about it and get back to you later.” I heard Kris’s deep voice as he opened the door to his office and stepped out into the waiting room.

                “Ah….aie……uh…..er….”

                And those stuttering whale noises must be Tao.

                “I’ll be expecting you soon cousin.” Oh, Kim Joonmyun is here. So it was he who was talking to Kris. I hurriedly rushed to Kris’s side and bowed. “Good afternoon sir.”

                “And I was wondering where you were today.” He smiled at me and bowed curtly, eyes moving further down and down and…

                Then I remembered my shirt was wet. I put my hands up in embarrassment and Kris pulled me behind him.

                “I thought I told you to lay off my assistant.” Kris warned. Joonmyun waved his hand carelessly. “Psh, you say it but you don’t mean it.”

                “Don’t push it. Or I’ll tell Mdm. Wu.”

                “What are you, six? Running off to tell grandma?” Joonmyun teased. “Fine, I’ll take my leave. See you soon.” The editor left the waiting room, completely dismissing the fact that Tao was sitting there with his jaw open and mumbling incoherent words of an alien language.

                “Are you okay? He is a bit of a ert.”

                “I’m fine. I’ve been through worse.”  It’s true. Don’t ask me about it. “By the way, Huang Zitao is here to see you.”

                “Right, pleasure to meet you.” Kris and Tao shook hands (the latter stopped looking like a fish and more like an actual human being). “I’ll be with you in a minute. I just need to go freshen up. Yixing, clear the files on my table and bring a glass of water for our guest.”

                “I already did that.” I glared at Tao, who’s just shrugging sheepishly. Kris left the waiting room and Tao grabbed my hands and squealed. Yes, he squealed.

                “Oh my goodness!! How is he an 8?! He should be at least a 9.7!!”

                “Ouch ouch ouch, stop hitting me!” I moved away from Tao as he -slaps me a couple more times. “I get it. My boss is hot. So what gives?”

                “Hot? He’s not just hot. He’s insanely hot. Quite possibly the hottest guy out there and I’ve seen some shockers okay?” Tao said, trying to cool himself down by gulping down water. “I’m surprised you haven’t jumped on him yet.”

                “I was going to but you know when somebody asks you to clean out their junk drawer that hasn’t been cleaned since the Iron Age, it’s a pretty big killer.”

                “Oh,” Tao scoffed. “If it were me, I would clean the bloody out of that drawer until it sparkles like a diamond then get him to clean me, if you know what I’m saying.”

                “Yeah right. Then afterwards you’ll have to clean him.” I rolled my eyes.

                “I know.” Tao smirked. “And the way he protected you just now from the ert was so hot. Oh god hold me I think I’m about to faint.” He put a hand to his forehead and mocked falling down but I just pushed him back up again.

                “For the record, that man was not a ert. He’s Kris’s cousin and the editor of Living Life magazine.”

                “They must be 20 times removed or something.” Tao straightened his jacket and looked at himself through the mirror. By this time Kris has returned.

                “Right, so shall we get down to business Mr. Huang?”

                “Please call me Tao. Mr. Huang is my dad, not me.” Tao said, sounding courteous and formal. This is a little shocking for me since I know Tao and formal go together like oil and water, which they don’t, but I puff out some air and follow them anyways. Please don’t embarrass me is all I can think.

                “Right, so Tao,” Kris sat down on his seat. “Did Yixing get you anything to drink? Water, juice, coffee?”

                “It's fine. I had a glass of water.”

                “Which you spilled on me, okay?” Tao threw me a look as I went to put down his cup.

                “We have worked together last time, haven’t we?”

                “Correction, it was Colin and I at the time. As I remember this is the very first time I’m meeting you.”

                “Yes it is.” Kris chuckled. “So, I do have a proposition. I would like you to be the choreographer for our new martial arts movie, The Express. I believe you remember Sunny and Siwon?”

                “Oh yes.”

                “Good, so here are the terms and conditions of the movie.” He handed over the file I prepared earlier as I place Tao’s cup on the table. “There’s the script and...”

                “Mr. Wu,” Tao spoke up, hands opening the folder. “I haven’t said yes yet.”

                Bull. He totally has.

                “I understand that, which is why I would like to consider it. I would love to hire you but only if you accept the conditions.”

                “I don’t really think this is a very good place to discuss business. Your office is much too stuffy. I’m used to open spaces of a gym.” Tao said. I looked at him quizzically. Where is he going with this?

                “Perhaps we should discuss this after I have read the script. And over some wine and fine dining.” Tao smiled gently.

                Okay, now I know where this is going.

                Kris chuckled, as if this has happened a million times to him over the years. “Is this your way of asking me out?”

                “Oh please, don’t get over yourself. This is a business proposition and my way of getting a free meal from you, which I’m sure a man who wears Dolce and Gabbana shirts and Rolex watches can afford. It’s only a date if you make it to be one.” Tao shrugged.

                Kris tapped his toe against the table. “Fine. Tonight?”

                “Too soon. Make it tomorrow.”

                “Very well then. I must say you are a very crafty businessman.”

                “I prefer the term persuasive.”

                “I’m the employer here.” Tao shrugged again at the comment and stood up. “Thank you for the script. I’ll take my leave now. I do have another appointment.”

                “Very well. Yixing, please show him out.” Kris and Tao gave a curt nod as farewell and I accompanied Tao down to the elevator. We couldn’t talk or even breathe until the elevator door pinged open and we made our way inside.

                “What. Just. Happened?” I asked, staring at Tao, who is once again, checking himself out.

                “I’m getting a free meal from your boss tomorrow night.” Tao grinned.

                “Okay seriously, how did you do that? Kris has one rule. Never buy anyone dinner unless they are willing to get for you.”

                “You don’t spend all those hours in the closet and learn nothing you know,” Tao said, walking out of the elevator. “Mark my words Yixing baby. By the end of that movie, I’ll be getting my own Kristian Grey. The only difference is-“ he walked to the front entrance and turned to me before leaving.

                “I’ll be the one holding the leash.”

 

 

 

A/N: He he he!! Finally, Taoris's first encounter. This update comes a little early since I know a lot of you have been dying to read their first encounter, so here it is!

Do tell me what you think about the story so far!! Comments, subbies and upvotes are always loved!

*Gives you all a massive hug*