---

---

You got me counting the seconds, it happens everytime.

 

Most people agree that dating your best friend is the best kind of relationship you can ever have. Why? Because they know you inside out, they say; because they know your strengths and weaknesses, they say; because they know how to deal with you best, they say. But no matter what people say about being in a relationship with your best friend can make you feel all good and blah blah blah, Baekhyun demands an argument on that.

Upon realizing that he’s indeed in love with his best friend named Park Chanyeol, he can’t help but feel troubled at the thought of the possibility of being boyfriends with him. Does Chanyeol feel the same? Does Chanyeol want him in the way he wants Chanyeol? The friendship they have right now is perfect already; he doesn’t dare to imagine getting it all shattered into pieces if he confesses his love for his best friend.

Chanyeol is the best he can have; Chanyeol is that kind of friend who will always slow down his walking because Baekhyun’s legs aren’t as long as his, Chanyeol is that kind of friend who will always immediately take the cucumber out if there’s any in Baekhyun’s dishes, and Chanyeol is that kind of friend who will always shamelessly cheer for Baekhyun as he’s playing soccer in the field when no one else cares to do so.

It’s safe to say that Baekhyun has grown up in Chanyeol-y environment and vice versa because, really, they are like each other’s shadow. When Baekhyun has to stay late at school for soccer practice, Chanyeol will patiently wait for him on the bleachers. When Chanyeol has to attend his weekly basketball practice, Baekhyun will just chat with Kyungsoo on the sideline to kill the time before they go home together.

They’ve been friends since Chanyeol’s ferret days and thinking if he should bring his friendship with Chanyeol to the whole new level called relationship… no, he doesn’t want to think about that. He won’t deny that sometimes he secretly contemplates when the right time to spill the beans is, though.


 

And every time that you're near me, my heart is running away.

 

Baekhyun is screwed up more and more.

He now finds it hard not to blush when Chanyeol randomly winks at him when they pass by each other in the hallway, he now finds it hard not to stutter when Chanyeol gives him his full attention as he waits for him to tell how his day was on their way home after school, and he now finds it hard not to blurt his heart out when Chanyeol calls him goodnight right before he goes to bed.

It also doesn’t help that Chanyeol still practically sticks to him everyday in their high school days. They go to school together, spend lunch break together, and wait for each other after school to go home together. They’re not in the same class but Chanyeol always comes to his house with an excuse of please help me to understand this subject and adorable pleading face Baekhyun can’t say no to but, tsk, they mostly end up playing Xbox or laying on their stomachs to read manhwas together—not that Baekhyun would complain, though. He likes having the taller boy around but at the same time he dislikes it because his racing heartbeat isn’t a sign of good thing, right?

Baekhyun finally promises himself to never let Chanyeol know that he has feelings for him. He knows it’s for the best because he doesn’t want the latter to leave him in case he doesn’t feel the same way. He doesn’t want to spend his bubble tea all by himself, he doesn’t want to read manhwas all by himself, and he surely doesn’t want to have no one to wipe his tears when he’s watching sad movies.

He thinks he knows what’s best… but sometimes people can be wrong, right?


 

How can I tell you when words don't come easy and there is so much I'm trying to say.

 

Time has the power to change lots of things, Baekhyun agrees. His silly and happy-go-lucky Park Chanyeol has transformed into a gorgeous heartthrob many would like to date as they start their life as university students. Chanyeol is now a head taller than him although he’s younger and has this unique charm that pulls boys and girls into him at first glance. His innocent jetblack hair has turned into charming honey brown hair and his stupid grin has turned into breathtaking smile.

On the other hand, Baekhyun also realizes that he’s changed as well. He was always calm and composed even when people got too close to Chanyeol when they were in high school but he can’t seem to be like that now. He fakes a smile when some boys drag Chanyeol away from him for a basketball game, he mentally screams hands off! when some girls touch Chanyeol and ask if he could teach them how to play guitar, and he secretly balls his fists when some seniors steal Chanyeol away from him for a hang out session which results in him going home all by himself.

“Baek?”

Baekhyun just hums and pushes his shoulder up, pushing his phone closer to his ear and clicking here and there on a website. He was in the middle of doing his paper about Land and Housing Markets when an email popped up—an email he’s been waiting for long. He screamed in happiness and immediately called Chanyeol to share the joy but his best friend told him to call back later because he was busy helping his senior in International Law class who urgently needed his help. He was disappointed so he didn’t call back, that’s why Chanyeol did it himself because the latter must have realized that. “What’s up?”

“How was your day?”

Baekhyun stops reading the website and blinks because… oh right, we didn’t go home together again today. “So-so.”

“So-so?”

I was scolded by Mr. Jung because I fell asleep during his lesson. Don’t judge, he was boring!  But I got praised by Mrs. Han because I got A+ for my paper about Urban Economics so I felt better. Baekhyun looks down at his legs. And I have scratches on my knees because I fell hard when I was playing soccer with Luhan after lunch. “Mmhm, nothing special.”

There is a pregnant silent before a weak oh is heard from the other line.

How was your day? What did you have for lunch? Did some girls flirt with you again? “Yeah.”

“Umm, what are you doing now?”

“Just finishing up my paper.” What are you doing now, Yeol? Where are you? Have you had dinner?

“Ah, okay.”

Baekhyun knows that tone well; he knows Chanyeol still has something to say but he’s afraid to say it. “What is it, Yeol?”

“Can we… umm, can we have breakfast together tomorrow? Tomorrow is Saturday and both of us don’t have class on Saturday.” A pause. “I miss you, Baek. I didn’t get to see you at all today.”

A smile immediately creeps its way onto Baekhyun’s lips. I miss you, too. “Okay.”

“Good!” Judging from the reply, Baekhyun can imagine how wide his best friend’s smile is right now. “What do you want for breakfast tomorrow?”

Just you being here with me would be more than enough. “Anything would be fine, Yeol.”


 

Tell me you'll care for me now and forever.

 

“I’m going to Prague.”

“Prague?”

Baekhyun gives a nod at Chanyeol who is sitting on his bed with a manhwa in hands. It’s a week after Baekhyun received the email and he doesn’t have the heart to hide the good news forever so this is it. He walks up to his study desk and picks up a paper before holding it up for his best friend. “Singing competition.”

Chanyeol takes the paper and reads what’s printed there. His big eyes widen as he notices something. “We won’t celebrate your birthday together here? Baek—”

“It’s okay, Yeol,” Baekhyun jumps backwards and his petite body bounces on the bed, his left hand atop of his right one on his stomach. “I mean, it’s Prague! Prague, man! I’ll get to celebrate my birthday overseas! Awesome, isn’t it?”

“We won’t celebrate your birthday together here,” Chanyeol repeats but this time it’s not in a questioning tone. The sentence was said in such a cold manner and, no, Chanyeol barely speaks like that unless something really pisses him off.

Baekhyun’s stomach churns in such an unpleasant way and he sits up only to see Chanyeol still staring at the paper. For some reasons he can guess that—

“You won’t be here to celebrate your birthday with me because you’ll be attending the final of this singing competition I don’t know anything about!”

—yes, just like what he’s expected; Park Chanyeol is upset.

“Why didn’t you tell me about this?”

Baekhyun gulps. Chanyeol didn’t raise his tone higher than his previous speech but it doesn’t mean he’s calmed down. He knows his best friend well; he knows Chanyeol just has this wonderful ability in covering up his real emotions. “I—I… I’m sorry, Yeol. It’s just… you’ve been busy nowadays and this isn’t that important so I—”

“Not that important?” Chanyeol scoffs in reflex, not realizing that it makes the shorter boy beside him slump his shoulders down. “You proceeded to the final of this worldwide singing competition and you said this isn’t that important? You’re being the representative of South Korea and you said this isn’t that important?”

“I’m sorry,” is all Baekhyun can say before he looks down and closes his eyes like a kid being scolded by their parents. He doesn’t have the courage to look at Chanyeol, afraid that he can’t stand seeing Chanyeol all angry and leave him alone in his room.

Giving him a tight hug and a big kiss on the cheek is definitely not in Baekhyun’s list of what Chanyeol’s reaction can be.

“Congratulation, baby!” Chanyeol pecks Baekhyun’s cheek once again, completely unaware of how stiff the latter is in his arms. “And, yeah, I’m sorry I’ve been neglecting my Baekhyunie these past few days. I’m such a bad friend, aren’t I? I’m sorry, Baek. Please forgive me.”

“N—no, you’re still my best friend.” Heart, please freaking calm down! “I know how busy you’ve been these days so it’s all okay.”

Another unexpected thing is how Chanyeol suddenly lifts Baekhyun’s body a bit to place him on his lap, successfully making the smaller boy blush madly. Smiling, he encircles his arms back around Baekhyun’s slender waist. “Now tell me about this singing competition.”

. “Umm, I auditioned online about… three months ago, you know, by sending a video of me singing, and I proceeded to the next round. It was last month, I think, when I had to sing for real in front of the judges. I went alone to the audition place because you had a basketball match at that moment.”

The hold around his waist tightens and Baekhyun knows that Chanyeol wants to say I’m sorry. He knows his best friend must be feeling bad now after realizing that he wasn’t there to give him some mental support at that time.

“One of the judges said that the result would be sent through email by the end of last week along with the airplane tickets if you passed. I thought I wouldn’t make it because, heck, the other contestants were amazing, Yeol! But then came the email on that day and I was so freaking happy after reading it and, good God, I still can’t believe I passed!” Baekhyun realizes he’s rambling right now but he doesn’t care. He’s happy and a happy him is always like that, all expressive with sparkling eyes and active arms. “I think I’m just one lucky boy.”

Chanyeol smiles widely, bringing his hand up to ruffle the brunette’s hair. “Nah, you’re talented, not lucky. You deserve it, Baek. You’ll be a famous singer in the future, I’m sure.”

“Tsk, no,” Baekhyun doesn’t even know why and how but he finds himself shifting a bit to get more comfortable on the younger boy’s lap. It’s after resting his head on Chanyeol’s shoulder that he finally realizes what’s happening—him getting physically too close to his crush slash best friend—but being in this position feels so nice so he doesn’t move away. “I can't.”

Chanyeol leans his back against the headboard and pokes the cheek of the boy on his lap. “You can be a famous singer, Baek, trust me. I’ll be your biggest fan!”

“You should be my manager!”

“No! Being your manager means waking up before you and getting on the bed after you, so nope! Tiring!”

“But didn’t you say it yourself that no one understands me better than you do?” There is a sudden awkward silence and dammit that sounds like we’re a couple so Baekhyun quickly saves the situation by saying, “You’re my best friend. The one and only best friend I have, Yeol.”

“Fine. I’ll be your manager if one day you become a famous singer because nobody can keep up with your clumsiness,” Chanyeol chuckles as he pinches the older boy’s cheeks. “Just promise me you’ll never stop being my best friend. It will always be Baekhyun and Chanyeol as best friends, not Baekhyun the singer and Chanyeol the manager, okay?

It will always be Baekhyun and Chanyeol as best friends…

Baekhyun and Chanyeol as best friends…

As best friends…

With a heavy heart, Baekhyun fakes a smile and nods.


 

I wanna know that love will surround us and you'll share it with me every day.

 

It’s finally two days before Baekhyun’s departure to Prague for the final of his singing competition so Chanyeol suggests they should have some quality time together. Baekhyun surely says yes even before his best friend can finish his sentence because, hey, they’ll be far across the sea on Baekhyun’s birthday so might as well just collect some good memories to remember on his probably-unmemorable birthday this year. Baekhyun is used to celebrate his birthday every year with Chanyeol and vice versa; one will always surprise the birthday boy with different “gift” every year. Last year, Chanyeol dressed in Rilakkuma costume and played his guitar while singing happy birthday from the smaller boy’s small garden after the date officially turned May 6th while Baekhyun spent a day making a scrapbook filled with photos of ferrets he took himself for the giant’s birthday gift.

This year, the singing competition decides everything. If he wins, it will be the best birthday gift ever but it will be the worst one if he loses.

The shopping area they come to visit is a bit crowded, considering that today is Sunday, and it’s purely out of habit that Baekhyun automatically sticks closer to Chanyeol and the latter immediately clasps their hands together. “Don’t let go of me, you giant.”

Chuckling softly, Chanyeol gives the smaller boy’s hand a squeeze. “Will absolutely never, Baek.”

Baekhyun perfectly knows that Chanyeol just said that because the taller boy sees him as his best friend and nothing more. He knows where he stands but it still doesn’t stop him from being delusional that Chanyeol treasures him in a romantic way. Maybe one day they can pass this best friend boundaries, maybe one day they can be together as a couple, just maybe. There are countless possibilities started with the word maybe and Baekhyun is a dreamer so he favors that word well.

“Four or five years from now on, we’ll be like those couples, busy looking for rings,” Chanyeol suddenly says, pulling Baekhyun back from his trance of thought. Baekhyun turns his head to where Chanyeol is looking at and sees some happy couples in a jewelry shop. “I’ll be looking for it with my loved one and you’ll be looking for it with your own loved one.”

Can we be together when that moment comes? Just two of us looking for our rings? Baekhyun inhales deeply to calm himself down before showing his crooked smile and holding his best friend’s hand a little tighter. “I think so.”


 

I'll give anything to hear you say that I'm more than a friend.

 

“Remember to take your vitamins!”

“Yes.”

“Don’t sleep too late.”

“Mmhm.”

“You’ve brought everything, right? Wallet? Passport? Ticket?”

Baekhyun rolls his eyes but he’s happy that Chanyeol is worried about him like this. “Yes, ma’am. I don’t think I forgot anything.”

Chanyeol’s worried face immediately turns into a dejected one. “You did.”

Baekhyun raises his eyebrows and is about to ask when the boy in front of him takes off his Supreme snapback and places it on his own head instead. “Chan—”

“I can’t follow you to Prague now but I hope my snapback can be my temporary replacement so that you won’t feel lonely there. Wear this when you miss me, mkay?” Chanyeol’s smile is slightly wobbly and Baekhyun can see the tears welling up in the ferret lover’s eyes as he opens his arms for him. “Now let me give you a goodluck hug, Baek, before you go inside and leave me.”

No need to be told twice, Baekhyun leans forward to take the offer. The hug is tight and long, but he can’t help but wish for it to be a little tighter, to be a little longer, and to be a little more than just a friendly hug.

A wish stays as a wish, though.


 

But everytime that I see you, you bring me out in the sun.

 

Baekhyun throws his tired body on the bed he claims as his during his stay in Prague for the singing competition. The final has just ended but it didn’t end well like what Baekhyun has hoped. Although he has shown his best performance, he can only snatch the second place winner. The first place winner of that competition is someone named Luhan, a Chinese contestant who is also his roommate here. Luhan is such a nice person and he truly has a voice like an angel’s so Baekhyun is okay with him being the first place winner.

However, Baekhyun is dispirited because the victory feels nothing without Chanyeol. Even when he was sightseeing with the other contestants, he didn’t really feel happy at all. Taking a stroll on Charles Bridge would’ve been more fun if Chanyeol were there with him to enjoy the amazing views of Prague Castle and the Vltava River. The fine views over Prague from the top of Jindrisska Vez would’ve been more memorable if he could share it with Chanyeol beside him.

Baekhyun shuts his eyes tight because, yes, he misses Chanyeol so so so bad right now he feels like crying his heart out. But his birthday is in a few minutes and he’s the second winner of this worldwide singing competition so he should be happy now, right?

He’s about to wipe the falling tears away when his fingers brush against an object beside his pillow. With blurred vision, he grabs that object and wears it on his head. He knows he looks stupid—lying on the bed wearing a snapback—and Luhan will definitely laugh at him once he sees him but he doesn’t give a . He misses Chanyeol and this is the closest thing to being with Chanyeol.

“Baekhyun,” Luhan—still in his stage outfits and make-up—suddenly calls, head peeking out from behind their room’s door. “There’s this Korean person who is looking for someone but the receptionists don’t speak Korean, you know. I’d like to help him but my Korean is still not that perfect so I’m afraid I’ll give him wrong information instead.”

There is no specific information clueing him that that Korean person is Chanyeol but Baekhyun swiftly jumps off his bed anyway and dashes out from their room to the elevator, wanting to get to the lobby as soon as possible. He’s getting crazy, he thinks, for thinking that it may be Chanyeol who came for him. If Chanyeol would come, he’d tell Baekhyun, no? And besides, Chanyeol isn’t that crazy to give him a surprise birthday gift like this. Flying to Prague isn’t as cheap as buying ddeokbokki and Baekhyun always warns his best friend not to recklessly spend his money on useless things.

The elevator opens and Baekhyun abuses the lobby button once he’s inside. If this Korean person turns out to be not Chanyeol, he’ll just think that he’s helping his fellow Kor—

Ding!

Baekhyun freezes as he steps out of the elevator and sees who is arguing with the pretty receptionists. He can’t believe his eyes because… no no no, this must be just a hallucination.

With uneven breaths, he slowly walks closer to the commotion and his hand unconsciously makes its way to touch the snapback on his head. Is this real? Am I really not dreaming? He blinks and blinks and blinks, trying to see if that tall figure is really him and—

The big clock in the lobby strikes midnight.

Baekhyun lets out a gasp, making everyone in the lobby, including that figure, look at his direction.

“Baek!”

Baekhyun’s knees go weak as realization washes over him. The figure who is now approaching him is really— “Chanyeol…”

Chanyeol stops in front of him, a backpack hanging on his shoulder, and flashes his signature grin. “I’m sorry I didn’t tell you beforehand. I secretly booked a flight here after you showed me that email because I didn’t want to not be with you on your birthday and I’m glad I could make it here even after some language barriers with the taxi driver and, umm, it’s already May 6th now so—”

Baekhyun cuts him off by pulling him down for a much needed hug. He doesn’t care that he hasn’t removed his make-up yet and now his perfect eyeliner is ruined by his tears as long as he can feel that, yes, Park Chanyeol is here with him in Prague on his birthday. “Thank you.”

“Anything for you,” Chanyeol wraps his strong arms around Baekhyun’s petite body and draws him closer. “Happy birthday but please stop crying. I don’t like seeing you cry, Baek.”

“You freaking came all the way across the sea to this new place just to celebrate my birthday, how would it not bring me to tears?” Baekhyun sniffles and he feels warm all over his body as he breathes in Chanyeol’s masculine scent. “Seriously, Yeol. You should stop doing things like this to me. I feel like I owe you my whole life.”

“Then just let it be. Pay it off by being my best friend forever. Don’t ever leave me, got it?”

Baekhyun lets out a chuckle because that’s the easiest way to cover how broken he’s feeling right now.


 

I guess that I was a dreamer if I thought it could ever last.

 

Baekhyun should’ve seen it coming. He should’ve realized better that he’s just Chanyeol’s best friend and being one’s best friend doesn’t always mean that you’re permitted to be the first to know from A to Z about what’s happening in your best friend’s life. Chanyeol still shares his happiness with him even after both of them graduated from university and are now living in different job field. Baekhyun is a financial consultant—he's dumped his dream to be a singer—and Chanyeol is a lawyer.

And, yes, they still stay as best friends as Chanyeol always reminds him. They still have breakfast together, they still read manhwas together, and they still do grocery shopping together.

The thing of being just best friends that irks him the most is when he has to hear news about Chanyeol from his acquaintances instead of hearing it right from him, especially about his best friend’s love life. Don’t ask if Baekhyun still has feelings for the younger because it seems like his heart only knows Chanyeol.

When they’re having their quality time together, Baekhyun always confronts Chanyeol to spill out everything about his love life with an excuse of I’m your best friend so I deserve to know everything, don’t I? but the lawyer always changes the topic to focus more on Baekhyun’s life instead.

On one autumn day, Baekhyun finally concludes that perhaps there’s an expiry date of being one’s best friend because Chanyeol is getting more and more distant to him.


 

I wanna make you see everything you are to me.

 

Baekhyun his lips in nervousness as he stands in front of Chanyeol’s door. He’s not really sure what he should do right now but you’re not supposed to just stay calm after hearing from other people that your best friend is getting married, right?

When he first heard that news from Minseok, Chanyeol’s friend at his office, he felt betrayed because so now I mean nothing to you, Yeol? Chanyeol never brought up any discussion about him dating someone or something along the lines so it was really shocking to hear that the taller boy is going to be someone’s husband soon. Baekhyun felt like for days—he cut off all interaction with Chanyeol; no text message and no call—before he recovered from his mental distress and decided to be a matured person in facing this kind of problem.

On his way to Chanyeol’s home earlier, he’s thought of what kind of speech he’d say in front of his best friend that can end their friendship in a nice way because he doesn’t think he can be okay to still hold the trophy of Chanyeol’s best friend after he gets married. He needs to end this fast before he’s hurt more than he is right now.

Baekhyun lifts his shaking hand to knock on Chanyeol’s door when it suddenly pulls open from inside and Chanyeol comes into his view.

“Baek?!”

Park Chanyeol looks absolutely charming in grey shirt and jeans with his hair styled neatly… and a cute boy standing next to him who has his arm linked with Chanyeol’s.

The sudden tightness in Baekhyun’s chest is unbearable so before he collapses or anything, he blurts out what he’s prepared before. “I think I forgot to remind you to give me heads up about the time you’ll have to leave me. I didn’t expect it to be this soon but I guess it’s too late to argue about that now, Yeol. I’ll get going now since I’ve taken one last look at my one and only possession before it’s gone. Goodbye and thank you for being best friends with me for years. I wish you goodluck with whoever it is you’re going to marry.”

Before Chanyeol can say anything, Baekhyun has already disappeared. Chanyeol can’t see how Baekhyun’s smooth cheeks are now wet with hot tears and Baekhyun also can’t see how Chanyeol drops down on the floor with a pained expression, clutching a small black velvet jewelry box in his hand.


 

The love I have for you will always be true.

 

Baekhyun wakes up to a constant knocking on his front door. Rubbing his eyes, he sleepily makes his way to open the door. “Who—Sehun?! What are you doing so early in the morning like this?”

“I should be the one asking you what were you doing in your house to not notice that this man has been staying out in your terrace all night long?” Sehun, Baekhyun’s neighbor, stands up with an unconscious Chanyeol leaning against him. Without asking for permission from the owner of the house, he drags Chanyeol inside and carefully places him on the couch in sleeping position.

Baekhyun rushes up to where the two men are and immediately feels bad upon seeing how pale Chanyeol’s face is. “I—I didn’t know h—he was here.”

“He didn’t call you or anything?”

Baekhyun shakes his head no.

“, I don’t know who is dumber, you or him,” Sehun gives the shorter man a roll of his eyes and walks back to the front door. “I believe this is something I shouldn’t interfere but you should fix everything with him. I can see he’s suffered enough.”

When Sehun is no longer in sight, Baekhyun hesitantly crouches down next to Chanyeol’s head and lets his fingers card through his soft hair. Even in his unconscious state, Chanyeol looks so miserable and it hurts Baekhyun’s heart. He wants to selfishly think that the man before him is suffering because of him—because of their separation a few days ago—but, back again, Baekhyun’s been telling himself that he’s nothing to Chanyeol since that night.

Baekhyun is too immersed in his thoughts that he doesn’t realize Chanyeol’s opened his eyes and is now looking at him longingly.

“Baekhyun.” A weak call from Chanyeol successfully pulls Baekhyun back from his trance. “Hey.”

Baekhyun feels like someone is cruelly stabbing his heart with a knife as he sees how Chanyeol is forcing himself to smile at him. Tears start gathering up in his eyes but, no, he has to stay strong—he shouldn’t let Chanyeol know how vulnerable he is. “Hey.”

“I won’t beat around the bush because I’m afraid I’ll forget what I should say to you since you’re here with me now and I’m finally not hallucinating,” Chanyeol reaches out his arms to cradle Baekhyun’s face in his hands. “I’m sorry I’ve been secretive to you, Baek.”

Baekhyun remains expressionless but, deep inside his heart, he’s started crying.

“Yes, I’m getting married soon but it will just be a simple wedding. Don’t bother to bring any gift, too,” Chanyeol says as he caresses the smoothest cheeks he’s ever touched.

The urge to just go back to his room and lock himself there is getting bigger and bigger by each second that passes by but somehow Baekhyun can’t find the strength to stand up and walk away.

“And I’d like to invite you to my wedding, of course. It’s the day I’ve been dreaming in my whole life, Baek. Please come because you’re my best friend,” Chanyeol’s fingers brush the brunette’s fringe aside tenderly and he weakly tilts Baekhyun’s chin up so that their eyes can meet. “And since you’re my best friend, I won’t assign you to help on anything on my wedding day. All you have to do is walk down the aisle with me and say, ‘Yes, Father. I do.’ So, will you come to my wedding?”

Baekhyun’s breath hitches and his hands suddenly tremble as feelings envelop him. Did I hear it right?

The silence that comes in between them later is totally uncalled for but Baekhyun thinks it’s normal since nothing makes sense now.

“Baek,” Chanyeol calls, Baekhyun’s hair. “Say something. You know you can always say no. I won’t force anything.”

Baekhyun looks up at him and thinks about how Chanyeol always stood up for him when he was bullied, how Chanyeol always shared his hamburger and orange juice with him when he forgot his lunch money, how Chanyeol always copied notes from his classmates when he was sick instead of copying notes for himself from his own classmates. He remembers how he always argued with Chanyeol about the difference between half full and half empty, he remembers how he always had little fights with Chanyeol about what flavor of ice cream they should get, he remembers how he always shared secretive giggles with Chanyeol when they saw something funny but weren’t allowed to laugh because the atmosphere was serious.

He agrees that he was the happiest with Chanyeol, he realizes that he’s the happiest with Chanyeol, and he knows he’ll be the happiest with Chanyeol.

“I’m sorry because I think I can’t say no although it’s in the options,” Baekhyun smirks before leaning closer to kiss Chanyeol on the lips. The kiss is short and simple but it makes the butterflies in their stomach come to life. “Yes, I’ll come to your wedding.”

“Good,” Chanyeol chuckles and turns on his side, leaving some space on the couch. He opens his arms and sends Baekhyun his heartstopping smile. “Now come into where you belong.”

Baekhyun playfully slaps Chanyeol’s arm but ends up getting comfortable in his embrace, though. “I didn’t know you liked me.”

“I don’t,” Chanyeol shrugs, closing his eyes as he’s starting to feel weak and sleepy again. “I love you. I think it’s obvious enough with the way I stayed single all this time and just stuck with you.”

Baekhyun flicks his soon-to-be husband’s nose but pecks it immediately. “Then you should’ve known I’d say yes because I did the same to you.”