Home is where you are.

Sweetheart, It's Our Secret!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

     Doubting that he would even be able to think straight on his ride back home, Kyungsoo motions for one of the security guards standing by the front doors of the mansion to come forward. As the guard rushes toward him, Kyungsoo takes a short moment to glance up at the once clear sky and frowns when he notices the appearance of grey clouds. However, his observation is cut short when the guard comes forth.

“May I be of any help?” the guard, a man of tall stature and surprisingly younger than most of the security team, asks. The CEO raises a slight eyebrow at his appearance, never once remember seeing him around here. His grandfather must have hired the guard just recently, it seems.

Kyungsoo gives him a quick glance from head to toe before he nods. “I’m not feeling well right now. Please arrange a chauffeur for me.”

The guard obliges, “Of course. Please wait here for a bit.”

If the past Do Kyungsoo, the cold-hearted CEO who never gave anyone a part of his precious time, was still present, perhaps the guar would have been fired immediately upon finishing his request. After all, the CEO of Enchantment waited for no one. But this Kyungsoo, the man who is standing here at this very moment, is no longer the cold-hearted person he once was. Perhaps there are various reasons for this, yet, the most obvious would have to be meeting Kim Jongin. Jongin, the clumsy idol who stumbled into his heart without a warning, has taught him to be patient and understanding of others.

Giving the man a curt nod, the CEO gives him a brief smile. “Alright.”

Startled by the response, the man blinks in surprise. “I - I will go now.”

“Stop right there.” Kyungsoo speaks up, his voice somewhat sterner. The man straightens up at once with wide eyes, afraid that he’s done something wrong to anger the young heir (he’s heard countless anecdotes about how cruel Do Kyungsoo can get from past workers). Feeling beads of sweat forming on his forehead, the guard immediately prepares for the worst to come and bows in apology.

“I’m sorry---”

“Why are you apologizing?” the CEO questions wearily. “Your tie isn’t straight. Fix it. If you’re going to work for my family, you need to look your very best.”

“Ah…” he lets out a breath of relief and quickly fixes his black tie. “I - I will go now!”

Kyungsoo shakes his head at the guard’s timidness, but dismisses it in favor of going back to observe the darkening sky. He lets out a heavy sigh, his lips pursed into a thin line as he let his thoughts wander back to his conversation a few minutes prior. Was it the right decision? His grandfather only wants the best for him, Kyungsoo knows. Yet, the thought of leaving Jongin behind frightens him. Jongin has waited so long for him to accept this blossoming love - was it right to just leave everything behind? Just like how his grandfather only wants the best for him, Kyungsoo also only wants the best for Jongin.

And he knows Jongin only wants the best for him.

Kyungsoo doesn’t want to leave, but he knows if he continues to stay any longer, Jongin will eventually abandon his own passion and dreams. He knows the idol has been avoiding calls from his agency these past few days - hell, Jongin even got into a fight with his own manager not too long ago. Do Kyungsoo is selfish for wanting Kim Jongin to himself, but if it means Jongin is willingly sacrificing his own dreams to stay by his side, he won’t have it.

Loving someone doesn’t come with sacrificing your own dreams and passion.

Loving someone means you want to see them become their very best.

Loving someone means accomplishing the things you want to do in life, and that the person you love will always support you.

Kim Jongin loves Do Kyungsoo, but he loves him too much to see that he’s hurting his own dreams.

Kyungsoo doesn’t want that, he doesn’t want Jongin to give up the stage to be by his side. Jongin cares so much for him, loves him too much, but he shouldn’t have to worry about him constantly. If it means leaving and allowing the two of them to heal, Kyungsoo will do it. Kim Jongin has been so strong and brave for him, and in return, Do Kyungsoo will do the same.

He will protect Jongin’s dreams, and in the process, he will find peace within himself.

Kyungsoo can’t live like this anymore. He can’t let the past hold him back from his future. The past has been revealed, and even if it’s an unfortunate story, Kyungsoo can’t continue to wallow in pain with every passing day. He now has a reason to find happiness, and his reason is Kim Jongin.

The journey has been difficult, but when has life ever been easy?

Noticing the small droplets of rain splattering against the concrete, the CEO slowly extends his hand out. The light raindrops makes contact with the palm of his hand, and before he realizes, an umbrella hovers above his head to shield him from the rain. Quickly retracting his hand, Kyungsoo turns his attention to the bodyguard, who is holding onto the handle of the umbrella after returning from his duty.

“Your ride is ready, Young Master.”

The CEO heads down the marbled steps and gets into the passenger seat, the car door already being held open for him. Before the door shuts, he gives the new bodyguard one more glance. “Your help was very much appreciated. Keep up the work.” Not wanting to see the reaction that follows (Kyungsoo knows he’s never this nice to any of his staffs before), he grabs a hold of the inside handle of the door and closes it himself. Settling into his seat, the CEO makes eye contact with his driver through the rearview mirror.

“Shall I drive you home, or is there a place you wish to visit?”

“I…” Kyungsoo doesn’t know where he wants to go. “Just drive around for now.”

“Okay.”

As the chauffer rounds the the car through the curved driveway and pass by the water fountain, the CEO takes out his phone and contemplates if he should give Jongin a text. If he’s planning to leave, he should at least tell Jongin everything first. It’s only right after all the things Kyungsoo has done to keep Jongin away from his dark past. Jongin has placed his trust in him, and he must do the same.

 

[to: Lovable Kim Jongin] What are you doing right now? Text me back if you’re not too busy.

 

He doesn’t have to wait long for an answer.

 

[from: Loveable Kim Jongin] I’m currently at the company! Did you need something? Should I come home?

 

Kyungsoo’s heart aches with guilt. Jongin doesn’t need to drop everything for him, especially not his career. Nibbling on his lower lip, the CEO gives a quick reply.

 

[to: Loveable Kim Jongin] No, I was just wondering. Go back to what you’re doing! And do not call me! I know your habit of calling me when you’re worried. I’m fine, I promise. I’ll see you at home tonight.

 

Jongin’s response is a reluctant agreement, but nonetheless, he follows through with no calling Kyungsoo out of worry. The CEO smiles upon seeing an influx of hearts flooding his text messages. Turning his phone off, he clears his throat and looks at the driver once more. However, whatever it is that was lingering in his mind vanishes when his phone begins to vibrate in his hand again.

Baekhyun.

 

 

 

“You’re leaving in four days?” are the very first words his assistant asks after not talking to one in another for a few days. Baekhyun has a deep frown on his face, brows creased and arms crossed in front of his chest in a disapproving manner. The assistant huffs in anger as he stands up from his desk and approaches his dearest friend.

Kyungsoo, taken aback by the abrupt outburst, shifts his gaze in avoidance and makes his way to one of the couches in his assistant’s office. “Good to see you too, Baekhyun.” He mumbles, taking a seat with a heavy feeling that’s hidden from the world.

Baekhyun rolls his eyes. “I did not go through all of this for you to just...leave!”

“Baekhyun---”

“No, don’t Baekhyun me!” his assistant interrupts. Baekhyun runs a hand through his auburn locks before rolling up the sleeves of his dress shirt all the way up to his elbows. Taking in deep breaths to calm himself, he then walks up to his boss - his friend - with words lying on the tip of his tongue. However, all frustration and disappointments vanishes when he takes in the image of Do Kyungsoo. In front of him is a man whose beyond weary, shoulders shrunken inward and eyes red with unshed tears. Baekhyun’s gaze softens, “Kyungsoo…”

The CEO shakes his head and inhales a shaky breath of air. “No, you’re right. Even I wonder if this is the right thing to do.” Kyungsoo emits an empty chuckle. “He loves me so much, and I love him so much, yet I feel like I’m holding him back!” He balls his hands into tight fists. “Jongin keeps missing his schedule because he’s worried about me! If this continues on, he - his dreams, all of his hard work, it’ll shatter...”

“And you’re afraid you’ll be the cause of his downfall.”

“What should I do, Baekhyun?” Kyungsoo glances up at his friend heartbrokenly.

Sighing softly, Baekhyun sits down next to the CEO and takes a hold of his friend’s trembling hand. “Jongin knows what he’s doing, Kyungsoo. He didn’t back down when you pushed him away. He didn’t back down when he found out about your past. The Jongin I know, he cares about you too deeply.” He gives the hand a reassuring squeeze. “If anything, your love will keep him going strong, just as how his love will keep you going strong.”

Kyungsoo stays quiet, his heart still heavy with sorrow.

“You want the best for him, I know.” The assistant purses his lips together into a thin line before lowering his gaze to the ground. “And knowing you, you’ll do anything to make sure of it. You’ve already made up your mind about leaving, even if you don’t want to.”

The CEO tilts his head to the side with a small smile, “You know me too well.”

Baekhyun playfully rolls his eyes, giving the man a little shove, “That’s why I’m your assistant.”

“Shove me again and your paycheck will be cut in half.”

“Gee, thanks for being so good to the person who’s trying to help you.”

Kyungsoo shakes his head with a small chuckle before he gazes at his assistant with gratitude. “Baekhyun, really, thank you so much for everything…” he finds himself saying, and holds back his laughter when he sees the shocked expression from the assistant. “For everything, thank you.” The CEO truly doesn't know what he would do without his assistant, without his dearest friend. Do Kyungsoo really is the luckiest person in the world to have so many people caring for him despite his cold demeanor.

Placing a hand above his heart, Baekhyun scrunches his nose to mask his surprise. “You can’t just say stuff like that…” Inhaling a deep breath to calm down, he shakes his head in happiness. “I’m your friend, Kyungsoo, of course I care about you.”

Silence soon ensues, but this time, instead of the tension that lingers in the air, comfort does. They sit there in silence, the two of them glad to have mended their friendship with one another.

“If you’re going to leave,” Baekhyun speaks up after a while, “leave without regrets.”

“Talk to him, I know.” Kyungsoo detects the worry in his friend’s voice.

“Do it because you both will be content with this decision.”

“I’ll talk to him. I learned from my mistakes.”

“I don’t want you to leave just for him.” Baekhyun suddenly engulfs his boss into an embrace. The corners of his lips turn downward as he feels the onset of fresh tears in his eyes. “Take this as a chance to clear your mind and come back as a better person. I hope you come back with all the happiness in the world. You deserve happiness, you know?”

If this were the old Do Kyungsoo, he would have immediately rejected the notion of happiness.

Yet, this isn’t the old Do Kyungsoo. This is the Do Kyungsoo that has experienced the warmth of love and happiness. This Do Kyungsoo will never shy away from these feelings anymore, especially not when there are so many people who cares for him. It’s okay to be happy. It’s okay to feel loved. It’s okay to have someone caring for him. It’s okay.

He gently pats his friend’s back with a teary smile, “I know.”

 

 

 

The idol paces back and forth in front of his boss’ office, nervously biting onto his lower lip every now and then. Jongin knows he’s been avoiding his responsibilities the past few days, and it’s beginning to take a toll on everyone around him. He knows he shouldn’t keep this up, shouldn’t make everyone take on his burdens and duties. Yet, it’s hard...it’s hard to move on and pretend that everything's okay when he knows it’s not. He’s been so focused on Kyungsoo that he’s forgotten about his own self.

Jongin promised to be by Kyungsoo’s side, through the good and the bad.

He can’t just leave now, not when his lover needs him the most.

Jongin wants to be Kyungsoo’s pillar of support, wants him to know that he deserves happiness and love, and if it means staying by his side for as long as it takes, he will do it.

Even if it means abandoning his dreams…

“Are you going to walk back and forth all day?” Jessica’s voice startles the idol, bringing him back to reality. Eyes widening, Jongin gazes straight ahead to find his boss staring back at him, her eyes full of worry and disappointment.

Jongin, full of guilt, avoids her gaze, “I-I…”

Jessica shakes her head, “Come in, Jongin.”

Shutting the door behind him, the idol idly stands there. “I’m sorry…”

She places the files in her hand onto the glass surface of her desk before letting out a heavy sigh. “Don’t apologize, Jongin. What I need you to do now is to focus on your work. You’ve been abandoning it for too long.” Jessica responds, her voice soft and pleading. “I know things are complicated, but you’ve worked so hard to be where you are today. Please don’t let your hard work go to waste.”

“I only need a little more time, just enough to know---”

“I’ve given you enough chances.”

“I…”

“My decision stands. We can’t keep delaying your schedule, Jongin. Please understand me.” Jessica’s voice is stern, her gaze piercing with determination, yet her heart aches at the sight of Jongin. She’s witnessed his journey to becoming a successful performer, and she knows he’s worked too hard to let something like this ruin his career.

The idol apologetically shakes his head. “I’m sorry,” he whispers, voice filled with guilt, before he exits the office without looking back.

Upon hearing the soft click of the door closing, Genie Entertainment’s CEO slowly sits down in her chair and closes her eyes in defeat. “What am I going to do with you, Jongin…” she mutters under her breath, bringing a hand up to massage her aching temple.

Just then, her phone begins to ring.

Sitting up in her chair, the boss answers her phone. “Hello?”

“CEO Jung, I’ll talk to him and convince him to go back.” Do Kyungsoo’s voice is heard through the line. “I apologize for the inconvenience that my situation has caused. Jongin, he only has good intentions…”

“I know,” Jessica agrees softly.

“I won’t let his hard work go to waste. Jongin belongs on the stage.” There’s a shaky inhale before he continues to speak. “Please trust in me. I’ll convince him to go back tonight.”

“Thank you, Do Kyungsoo.”

“I’ll drop by to pick him up later today.”

“Alright,” Jessica then ends the conversation. Holding her phone in her hand, the boss leans back in her seat and releases another sigh. She stares up at the ceiling for a while.

I truly hope they’ll be okay.

 

 

 

Kim Sookhee slowly makes her way out of her room, gaze continuously searching for her son with a heart full of sorrow and regret. Treading down the long hallway, she turns her attention to the warm sunlight soaking through the windows and stops for a little while to gaze at the blue sky nostalgically. When did everything go downhill? Where did the good times go? Sookhee has realized how wrong she’s been all these years. She shouldn’t have forced her son to take over, shouldn’t have been so stubborn, shouldn’t have been stuck in her own sorrows…

It’s too late now, she realizes. Even if she asks for forgiveness, her wrongdoings have harmed those around her too deeply.

A series of laughter around the corner catches her attention, and Sookhee follows the sound until she sees her son with Yixing in the study room. From the looks of it, they were discussing something. Afraid to disturb the two of them, Sookhee stands outside of the room out of view. As she witnesses the bright smile on her son’s face, she wonders if he ever smiled genuinely in front of her. Perhaps not, with all the things she’s put him through. She wouldn’t blame him, no, because all of this was her fault. Junmyeon wouldn’t have harmed himself and get innocent Kyungsoo involved if she had only listened in the very beginning.

If she could turn back time, Sookhee would change everything.

“Oh, madam!” Yixing calls out from within the room, a warm smile on his face.

Sookhee perks up at the call, and nervously returns a smile.

Junmyeon’s grin fades from his face, but is soon replaced with an endearing expression. “Mother, how are you?”

His mother takes a few small steps until she’s standing at the doorway, eyes seeming to avoid her meeting her son’s warm gaze. She doesn’t deserve his forgiveness, not after everything she’s done. What kind of a mother was she, really? How could she not have known all along that Junmyeon never wanted to take over his father’s business? Why was she so blind?

Noticing the hesitation in Sookhee’s actions, Yixing swiftly gives the author’s hand a reassuring squeeze and exits the room. “I have matters to take care of so I’ll leave now.” He hops off the desk and walks out of the room, not forgetting to smile on his way out at the older woman.

Junmyeon clears his throat, “Are you feeling better?”

Sookhee lowers her gaze as she tries to hold back her tears, “I’m so sorry, Junmyeon.” She whispers brokenly and sits down on the grey couch in his study room.

The author places the book in his lap back on the wooden desk and wheels himself over to where his mother sits. “Mother,” Junmyeon begins but he really doesn’t know what else to say in the moment. Instead, he opts for grabbing her hands.

“I’m so sorry for everything,” she sobs, no longer being able to hold back her emotions. “If only I wasn’t so blind in the past, if only I listened to you…”

Junmyeon inhales a deep breath of air to stabilize his emotions. “You only wanted the best for me.”

Sookhee shakes her head in denial and grasps her son’s hands tightly, “But look where that got you! I did this to you, Junmyeon. I didn’t listen to you! My stubbornness caused you and Kyungsoo harm. I don’t deserve forgiveness…”

“I know you wanted preserve father’s legacy through me…” Junmyeon begins slowly, “I know you only wanted the best for me. We lacked communication, and...unfortunate,” he glances at his paralyzed legs for a brief second, “things happened. But at the end of the day, you’re my mother and I still love you.”

She breaks down even harder, pulling her hands out of Junmyeon’s grasp to hold him. “My poor baby, I’m so sorry for everything.” Sookhee clutches tightly onto the material of her son’s light blue sweater.

The author closes his eyes and sighs. He wraps his arms around his mother to reassure her. “I’ll never hold a grudge against you, Mother. You’re my family.” Junmyeon continues to hold onto his dear mother as she cries in his arms with regret and remorse. His heart aches at the sight. His mother had only ever cried this hard when they lost his father. When her sobs finally subsides, Junmyeon pulls out of the embrace and helps her wipe away her tears.

“I’m not the person who needs an apology the most, Mother…”

Mrs. Kim nods her head slowly and sighs, “I’ve wronged Kyungsoo for so long…” Her gaze lowers to the ground in shame. “I haven’t been good to him these past ten years. Will he even forgive me?”

“We’ve both wronged him, Mother.” Junmyeon admits. “And we have to make it right again.”

Sookhee exhales slowly, “You’re right.”

 

 

 

Jongin comes out of the practice room, his shirt somewhat drenched in sweat and hair sticking to his damp forehead after long hours of practicing. He doesn’t remember the last time he’s been in the practice room, and only after spending hours today does he realize how badly he’s missing this place. Despite always being tired afterwards from hours of dancing different types of choreography, Jongin always feels a sense of satisfaction, today included. Using the white towel to wipe away the beads of sweat on his forehead, the idol continues down the hallway until he catches sight of a familiar figure.

“Kyungsoo,” Jongin mouths in surprise.

The CEO glances up from his phone, his lips curling upwards into a smile and forming the shape of a heart. “You’re done?” he asks, pocketing his phone as he approaches the stunned idol.

The idol flutters his eyelids, still not processing the situation. “What are you doing here? I thought we would see each other at home?”

Kyungsoo shrugs his shoulders, “Decided to come by and pick you up.”

“Ah - Kyungsoo, I’m drenched in sweat!” Jongin stumbles over his words as he feels his lover’s arms wrapping around his waist. He’s not complaining, but he would rather hug the smaller male after he’s taken a shower.

“Shut up,” the CEO mumbles, not caring about Jongin’s condition. “I can hug you whenever I want to.”

Pretending that his heart doesn’t jump gleefully at the confession, the idol proceeds to wrap his arms around Kyungsoo’s narrow shoulders and bask in the male’s warmth. “You - you can, but you’ll get dirty…” Jongin juts his lower lips out into a pout.

Kyungsoo only lets out a chuckle as he continues to hold onto Jongin, not caring if the man is sweating from long hours of practice. “You were practicing today, right?” he decides to move onto a new topic. Although the signs are obvious, the CEO still wants to hear the answer.

Jongin pulls away with a blinding smile, “I didn’t realize how much I miss dancing, Kyungsoo! I had such a great time practicing for my upcoming tour!” He rambles on, eyes shining with joy.

“I’m glad,” the CEO whispers.

Seeing Jongin like this only further confirms his decision.

Before he reveals anything else and gets Jongin suspicious, Kyungsoo changes the subject once more. “Let’s go home now, okay?”

Although he senses something is bothering his lover, Jongin nods his head and begins to walk with Kyungsoo. “Let’s go home.” He agrees, letting the towel hang on his right shoulder as he reaches out to grab Kyungsoo’s hand. He quickly fills in the empty spaces between the CEO’s fingers with his own.

 

 

 

Kyungsoo stares fondly at the way Jongin is concentrating on reading his book. The way he could scrunch up his nose at times and the way he would play with the corners of the pages  has the CEO’s heart fluttering in delight. He continues to stare at the man without words, hoping to use this moment to capture every small possible detail and treasure it in his heart. Unknowingly, tears begin to form in his eyes the longer he continues to gaze upon the man he loves.

Jongin glances up right this moment and frowns upon the sight. He immediately closes his books and leaves it on the nightstand. “What’s wrong?” he worriedly asks as he extends a hand out to wipe away a stray drop of tear.

The CEO inhales a shaky breath of air and grabs the hand resting on his cheek. “You know how much I love you, right?” his words are barely above a whisper, but it’s full of sincerity.

“Of course I know,” the idol responds, gaze still full of worry.

“And I know how much you love me as well.” Kyungsoo continues on. “But Jongin, you can’t do this. You can’t abandon your dreams just for me.”

There, he has finally said it.

The idol’s eyes widen in shock, “Kyungsoo, please…”

He inhales slowly and brings Jongin’s hand down, never once letting go of it. Nodding to himself, Kyungsoo finds the courage to look into Jongin’s eyes with a small smile. “I want you to go on that world tour. I want you to perform on stage. I want you to continue to fulfill your dreams.”

“I am---” panic rises within Jongin.

“No, you’re not. You’re worried about me, worried to the point where you can’t focus on your work.” Kyungsoo shakes his head and sniffs. “I know you’re avoiding your management. I know you’re delaying your schedule. I know.” He turns away for a moment to stop himself from crying. Kyungsoo’s cried too much now. At a time like this, he must be strong.

Jongin’s been strong for him.

It’s time for Kyungsoo to be strong for Jongin.

“I don’t want that, Jongin. I want you to be happy, and being on stage is where you’re the happiest.”

Jongin d

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter