The Warmth of Spring

Renditions (Sin Cara)

The ten year old hums a song as he walked down the hill, his song comes to a stop at the sound of children’s laughter. He hurried as he spotted his two younger brothers try to climb onto the tree and grab its fruit. “If Uncle sees this, he’ll be upset.”

“He isn’t here.” Sunghyun grinned as he was hoisted to the top with Sungmin’s help.

Yesung narrowed his eyes and turned his head, keeping an eye out for the man when a fruit drops onto his head. He rubbed his head as he sees more fall to the ground, and the two quickly grab them all.

His older brother approached them and chuckled at the scene, “Shouldn’t you share those with us?”

The two scheming children quickly hid behind the tree with their findings and Yesung glowered as his brother laughed. He glanced at Sunghyun, their newest brother. “He’s becoming as mischievous as Sungmin.”

“They really are inseparable. It’s fine, let them be.”

Yesung side-eyed him, “And I thought Hyesung was spoiling him.”

He earned a flick to the forehead and Yesung immediately bowed his head in apology. He was never quite good at this comforting thing.

“He’s just a child, he doesn’t know the lifestyle he’s heading into.” First brother mused. “If we could find a family to take him in, that’d be ideal.”

While it would be ideal, it was unlikely. Yesung knew that but keeps silent. He figured that’s probably why he spoiled him, why everyone in their group did so.

He wouldn’t be one of them, he decided in contempt, and stomped away.

-

Kyuhyun walked about town with his servants trailing after him, biting into the fruit he bought.

“Young Master! You shouldn’t be playing around!”

“I’m just studying the scenery.”

“As you do everyday?”

Kyuhyun chuckled, “It’s a busy city, you never see the same crowd twice.”

His servants sigh as they continue to follow him, Kyuhyun finished his route and stepped into the familiar building. He greeted the man upfront by the organized walls, and the heavy scents of plants and medicinalherbs fill his senses. He asked, “Is my father seeing a patient?”

“Not at the moment.”

Kyuhyun entered and waved at his father who sat at his desk, his father gave a disapproving shook of the head as Kyuhyun planted the basket of fruit between them.

“Have you still not studied?”

Kyuhyun's expression stiffened. “...Is that how you’ll always greet me father?” Kyuhyun exhaled dramatically. “I’ve already read every book twice, I already know what there is to know.”

“If you don’t want to be a physician, then at least study the trade. Your brothers could help you.”

“I do want to be a physician father, but this town already has you, they don’t necessarily need two physicians, do they?” Kyuhyun grinned.

His father wasn't the least bit amused, “You’ve been too taken with that troupe.”

Kyuhyun lowered his head and peeled the next fruit, “It’s not the worst thing I could be doing, I’m not off gambling or drinking away.”

“You still aren’t focused.”

“I wasn’t focused even before they arrived father,” Kyuhyun corrected calmly. “Don’t blame them for my own character.”

His father remained quiet as Kyuhyun glanced at the bowl in front of his father and the herbs used. He recognized each one, “This patient must be in terrible pain. Are they that sick?”

“Very, it’s already taken up much of my time. This is why this town needs two physicians.”

Kyuhyun gave a guilty smile as his father prepared his belongings. “Where are you going?”

“I have to visit this patient in the far east side of town.”

Kyuhyun furrowed his brow, there were hardly any residences in that part of town. “Wait...You mean that old manor?” Kyuhyun tilted his head. “I thought no one lived there.”

“A lord lives there now.” His father stood up, “If you don’t want me to ban you from going to the theatre house, then resume your studies. This is my last warning.”

Kyuhyun exhaled in defeat, “Of course father.”

His servants follow as Kyuhyun paced his way back home. Kyuhyun exhaled, and his servant thinned his lips at the sight of his forlorn master. “Young Master, although you’ll have to miss tonight’s play, there will be another troupe coming by tomorrow to perform. I hear they’re also very talented.”

“I’m not interested in plays,” Kyuhyun interjected.

His servants exchanged puzzled looks. “Then why do you always go to watch?”

Kyuhyun was quiet at first, concerning the pair until their younger master looks over his shoulder and smiled coyly at them, confusing his servants further.

-

Yesung roughly wiped Seventh’s face, “You’ve applied it wrong again.”

“I’m sorry,” Seventh grinned, and grimaced as Yesung scrubbed the white paint from his cheeks. Yesung reached for the colors and helped him apply it.

“Is Fourth Brother alright?”

Yesung kept Seventh’s chin still, “Don’t move,” he warned. As he finished some and retouched his brush, he glanced at Sungmin who napped against the wall.

“I’m sure he’s fine,” Yesung assured and finished the last of Seventh’s makeup. As the youngest left to the others, Yesung strode towards Sungmin. Within a few steps, Sungmin opened his eyes, aware of his presence.

Yesung sat beside him, “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing.”

“Is that patron of yours being abusive?”

“I’m simply tired, that’s all.” Sungmin stated.

Yesung sighed, it was always the same answer. Yesung gave a defeated look and crossed his arms, “Your part isn’t for a while now… rest while you can.”

Sungmin smiled back, “Thank you.” He observed as Yesung left and tended to the others as they prepped for the stage. His smile soon fell and he rubbed his tired eyes, careful not to smudge the colored paint.

It was better not to say, and the actor reprimanded himself. He didn't want it to show.

As of late, most nights he spent tossing awake, his heart trembling at the memory that crept into his mind. That mask remained a figment of his nightmares.

He glanced at his brothers and observed their various painted masks, each representing a character needed for this performance. His gaze lingered on Sixth, who played a menacing demon, and despite the stark lines that crossed his face, it simply wasn't the same.

His question comes about in a whisper out of earshot from his brothers.

“Why would anyone wear such a horrid thing?"

-

Once the last line was drawn on his face, Yesung was no longer himself. After years of being raised this way, it may have been habit.

All inhibitions were guarded, his mind was clear except for his lines and lyrics, with his painted mask, he was no longer himself.

The moment Yesung stepped on stage, his voice rung about the auditorium. And the audience is swept silent as they keenly listen, drawn in further by the performance onstage.

It becomes difficult to separate one’s self once the costume was adorned, sometimes it’s difficult to see where the lines were drawn, his own eyes could mistake it.

It’s like why his own audience couldn’t separate his character from himself, after his song finishes, there’s a demand for more. His own segment ends as he stepped off stage, but he can’t get rid of his mask just yet.

The moment he stepped into the hostel room, he greets his patron.

“I am Choi Jaewon, the merchant.”

His words are ingrained in him that they come about without a second thought. “Do I undress first?”

“Finally,” he heard the man boast. “I was becoming impatient.”

When the night’s said and done, Yesung grabbed hold of his robes as his patron smoked from a pipe. He thinks his thoughts out loud as Yesung dressed himself.

“It was a pleasant enough evening, but I’m sure you also think we could have more fun.” The patron then ended his smoke, reaching for the tea in the center of the room.

“Drink,” the patron ordered as he forced a bowl of hot tea into Yesung’s hand. The actor lifted the bowl to his lips. He feigned a sip and lets the warm liquid just barely press against his lip.

The patron’s smile at his acceptance confirms Yesung’s suspicions and he feigns another. The patron pours the full ladle back into the bowl, staring into the reflection of the tea.

“Unfortunately you aren’t enough... I often fantasize of you and the others.” The patron mentions as he stands up and begins to turn around, putting on his robes. “Potentially you and that one that played your son tonight. Or better yet, the one who played your wife.”

His words struck a chord, and the actor tenses at the very idea. The patron paid no mind to the signs, and contemplates out loud his desires of buying the rest of them. Still, his wishes return to Yesung and Sungmin, and he repeats it as he grabs hold of Yesung’s chin forcibly, staring into his dark eyes.

He mistakes hatred for lust.

“Wonder what it will be like with you and him together–”

CRASH!

“AH!” The man screeches, clutching his face. The bowl broken and scattered on the ground, Yesung fixes himself and quickly leaves as the servants file in from the yells.

It isn’t a quiet matter, and the news of what happened reach their house.

“What could he have said to offend you?” Second asked quickly.

Yesung refused to answer, and his brothers hastily spoke to one another as they tried to mend the issue. Yesung observed the worried lot and realized an absence.

The doors opened and Yesung quickly walked outside and finds Sungmin already setting out to leave.

"Where are you going?" Yesung demanded.

"To fix this." Sungmin says simply. “He won’t take this matter lightly.”

Yesung grabs his wrist and forces him back. “The last thing I want is for you to willingly walk into that bastard’s room!”

"Do you think I enjoy this?” Sungmin snapped, pulling back his hand.

Yesung clenched his fists. "I never said that. If you go to him he’ll be another patron, he’ll hurt you like others have before! How can you be okay with that?!”

Sungmin’s tone remains low and stern. “Because one more customer who requests for me, means one less for you all. I couldn’t take it if anything happened to you or the brothers,” He exhales, his gaze holding an unwavering determination. “I can’t stand to lose anyone again.”

Sungmin then turned his back and left through the doors, leaving Yesung in despair.

-

Kyuhyun walked idly through the banks, having run off from one of his servants. He walked along the lonely route and strayed away from the main roads.

He caught a figure standing by the rushing water and he looked up.

“Yesung?”

The actor didn’t respond, his eyes glazed over.

Kyuhyun isn’t sure why that it frightens him and quickly bolted towards him. “OI!”

Yesung was yanked backwards and fell against the younger man onto the ground, and the two groan at the harsh impact.

Yesung widened his eyes at the sight of him and grabbed his aching arm where Kyuhyun had pulled. “What are you doing here? How did you find me?”

“Then this means you didn’t want to be found?” Kyuhyun asked, feeling his fears were confirmed.

Yesung lowered his eyes, “I’m not sure...” He admits quietly and sits up properly, his hands laid on his lap.

“Is something wrong?”

Yesung didn’t say.

Kyuhyun finally calmed his chest and moves until he’s seated by between the waters and Yesung, acting as a barrier and keeping on guard. Yesung doesn’t seem to notice, and begins to speak without Kyuhyun’s prompting.

“I thought I was doing all I can to protect them, that was my job as the eldest. I didn’t realize my responsibility was being shared by another, sacrificing himself when he shouldn’t have to. And here I am being a fool and making messes they clean up.” Yesung seethed, his emotions in agony, “I resisted this life for so long I don’t think of the consequences anymore.”

He lowered his head in defeat.

Kyuhyun was quiet at first as Yesung turmoiled in silence, and the younger man’s eyes trailed from his frail appearance to his hands, soiled from the wet dirt by the banks.

Kyuhyun was never good at comfort, and he wished he knew how. He wanted to ease his pain, but he simply didn’t know how. The younger man merely decided to seated by and remain as company.

He’d remain there forever if he could, all for that Yesung wouldn’t be alone.

His tremored heart ceased as the it continued further into the night, and when the pain is at least bearable, Yesung looked up and blinked at Kyuhyun’s presence. He was still there.

“Your household must be in a ruckus, wondering where you are,” Yesung commented casually.

“As yours must be too,” Kyuhyun countered.

Yesung wiped his eyes with the back of his sleeve, his words sinking in.

“Besides,” Kyuhyun started, grabbing the other’s attention. “They have a good idea where I am, I can’t be away from my favorite actor for too long.”

Yesung leered, “Must be disappointed seeing me in such a state then.”

“Not at all. Your stage presence did captivate me at first," he admitted. "But there's more to you. More that I’d like to know if you’re ever willing."

“Why not force me then?” Yesung asked, darker than he planned to make it sound.

Kyuhyun smiled despite his tone, it appeared everyone misunderstood him. "I could demand you be with me, but I don't want to force you into my arms. You wouldn't like that."

Yesung tried to wipe his eyes, but the small hint of dirt clutching his robes accidentally fell into his eyes and it briefly stung. Kyuhyun tried to reach out to wipe them away, but Yesung evaded his hand.

Kyuhyun may have understood why now, but the gesture still pained him.

Kyuhyun cleared his throat, "here," he gestured and held out his long, clean sleeve.

“I’ll only dirty it.”

“It’s fine.”

Yesung looked up and saw Kyuhyun still stiffly staring ahead, the usually confident man was acting shy. He glanced at his sleeve and exhaled, knowing the man wouldn’t leave it be, he does so and wiped his eyes.

“Thank you,” Yesung added as he stood up, he’s able to collect himself.

Kyuhyun smiled widely as he stood up too, "Now let me accompany you home. I can't trust people not to take advantage of the situation, you're all helpless and vulnerable."

"I'm sure that your reasons to see me were completely chaste." Yesung said and Kyuhyun huffed, though it appears he caught him anyhow. Yesung is surprised at how eased he is.

The actor even manages a small laugh.

-

Unlike his brothers, Yesung never knew his birthday, much less his age. Uncle never kept track since the day of his adoption. For most of his life, Uncle and the troupe were all that he knew.

“There’s no point in remembering the past,” Uncle would advise him, laughing at the young boy's stern expression.

Yesung didn’t care how often he said so, even as Uncle stripped their every identity, he refused to do so. Although as the years waned on, it was becoming difficult, he felt he was losing himself with every performance. When the paint on his face began to feel as if it'd never wash away.

He closed his eyes as he recalled a woman’s voice, and in the folds of his memory was that of a song, one he never performed or was taught. Yesung hummed the song quietly, and his resting brothers don’t stir at at the pleasant sound.

Soft knocks interrupt his song and Yesung stood up, carefully treading about them as he stepped outside. Kyuhyun turned around and smiled, and Yesung glanced at the thick blanket in his arms.

“I just wanted to give this to you. The nights are still chilly.”

“I’m fine without one,” Yesung deadpanned.

Kyuhyun exhaled at his response, “You never make things easy.” He draped the blanket around Yesung’s head and the actor scrunched his eyes as it fell over his face. “I suppose that’s what I like about you,” Kyuhyun smiled.

Yesung struggled for a bit as he finally managed to find an opening in the blanket and lifted it from his face. And to his surprise, saw that Kyuhyun had already turned his back to leave.

“You’re leaving already?”

“You need your rest!” Kyuhyun called back, and waved as he hurried away.

Yesung furrowed his brow and chuckled under his breath, he glanced at the blanket now left in his hands and gently pressed it against his cheeks, it was a warm fabric.

The brothers all breathed calmly as the blanket was set above them. Yesung laid down by them, the blanket was long enough just to cover the others and left none for himself. Yesung rested his head on his arm and faced towards the doorway and contently closed his eyes.

Even within the cold of the night, it was the first pleasant sleep in years.

-

A/N:I'm really trying my best to update regularly, hoping I don't jinx myself ;-; Thank you commentors and subscribers! ^^