The Red Mask

Renditions (Sin Cara)

Sungmin is at a little confused at the sight of Jimin’s presence. It’s his second time’s there, but there was still no sight of the man who requested him.

“My Lord is susceptible to sickness and is frequently ill, he sends his apologies and hopes you accept it." Jimin tells him politely, "You may eat the food and take the room as you like.”

A second maidservant entered with a second tray of food and placed it on the low table. “Please take comfort, and if you need anything, feel free to ask.”

Sungmin blinked and stared at the food, a part of him wondered if this was all a trick. He lifted the tea and held it to his lips, hesitant before lowering it back down.

The younger maidservant quietly observed him and gave a small tugged smile. “We haven’t poisoned the food.” Jimin said coyly to his concerns. Sungmin kept his gaze low and doesn’t touch a bite, his reactions appeared to amuse her.

Even if he partly believed them, something felt odd and he didn’t want to take the chance.

He’s guarded his entire time there, even if the actor admits on his way out that it’s a beautiful home, it doesn’t lift his suspicions.

Why did they even bother to request him in the first place?

By the end of his visit, he stepped outside his room and lingered there for a bit when he spotted two maidservants enter the main room. His eyes swiftly glance behind and managed to sneak a look before the panelled doors close behind him.

There was no doubt of what Sungmin saw. He’s sure he had seen her walk towards that wooden compartment.

-

“Be careful.” Sungmin warned as he remained by, Seventh climbed the tree that overlooked the hillside and smiled as he successfully made his way to the top.

“The town looks so small from here.”

Sungmin looked upon the town that was frolicking with people, even the farmers from further up the mountains were making their way downhill to sell their crops for the season. To him, it appeared like any other town he’s been to.

“I like it here,” Seventh replied with a grin. “The last town we were in was too corrupt and busy, it feels a little more relaxed here.”

“We should head home,” Sungmin interjects, “Uncle will be arriving soon.”

Seventh’s smile dampens but listened. “Fourth… can you help me practice?”

Sungmin eyed Seventh as as the latter came down, his worry only ceases once Seventh safely makes his way to the ground. Seventh was one of the newer recruits to their troupe, and easily one of the weakest when it came to acting and singing. A fact Uncle reminded often.

“Repeat after me,” Sungmin began, singing Seventh’s verse from memory and Seventh slowly began, and the two brothers continue their practice as they began to walk down the hillside. Once they near town, they paused their practice.

“My patron last night was nice,” Seventh smiled. “He kept asking about the different plays we’ve done and kept asking me to play all the characters I’ve been, he was a little odd.”

“This town seems full of them,” Sungmin added under his breath.

Seventh looked puzzled, “What do you mean?” Sungmin doesn’t repeat when the pair turn their heads at the loud clamor occurring in the center of town.

“What’s the commotion about? Is there a wedding?” They overhear a passerby ask.

Seventh brother peered above their heads, “I think it’s a bit more morbid than that. See, it’s a hanging.” He gestured.

Those about them encourage the spectacle and the clamor only grows louder, the town they were currently in was known to be quite safe, as the magistrate that ran the town was efficient with punishing crime and doing as needed. “I wonder what he did,” Seventh mused, these sorts of public displays never failed to capture the townspeople’s attention, even Seventh hopped as high as he could to catch a glimpse. “It might be– Fourth brother! Wait!”

Sungmin headed the opposite way from the crowd, not even turning back. “It’s longer that way!” Seventh called out and hurried to catch up.

When they reach their home, Yesung stepped out with a bucket on hand.

“Excuse me,” Yesung said dryly as the two step aside.

Sungmin walked in almost right after, and is surprised to see Kyuhyun sitting on the dusty floors with one hand on the table and a book in his lap, compared to the likes of them, the affluent young man stood out. Their brothers exchanged glances and gave the man odd looks but appeared to enjoy the bounty of fruit he brought.

Kyuhyun just happened to glance at them who greeted him nevertheless. “Yesung doesn’t look pleased to see you here.” Seventh said bluntly.

Kyuhyun is overwhelmed by confidence, “that opinion will change. Eventually.”

And when Yesung does return and gives the full pail of water to his brothers, Sungmin sees Kyuhyun’s attention remain completely on First Brother.

“Don’t you find it a bother being in a place so crowded?” Sungmin asked politely.

“Not at all, I’m the fifth amongst my siblings. We’re basically the same Yesung.” Kyuhyun told Yesung who narrowed his eyes at the naive comparison.

Kyuhyun leered at his usual reaction and glanced Sungmin’s way, who smiled politely as their eyes met, Sungmin treated him well at least despite Yesung’s attitude. Even Kyuhyun could admit there was a charm about Sungmin that was impossible to ignore. Still, Yesung was the one he sought after.

The young man dropped his book on the table. “What is it about me you don’t like?” Kyuhyun started.

“That’s nothing something I can answer truthfully without hurting your feelings.”

Kyuhyun gawked at the actor’s sharpness and pursed his lips, contemplating how to fix that as Sungmin’s eyes darted towards the eldest brother. Although Yesung kept it well concealed, even the stern man felt a hint of amusement at Kyuhyun’s open expression.

Sungmin’s own eyes then shift and linger on the book’s cover, Kyuhyun absentmindedly rests his elbow on it as he spoke to the actor. Sungmin lowered his head to try to see the characters along the side, gold script etched on the red binding. The corners of his lips curved, it was rather beautiful.

“Do you read this?”

Kyuhyun turned to Third Brother whose gaze remained on the book on the table. Kyuhyun loudly sighed at the object, “It’s this book of sayings I have to read, they’re written by some author in China.”

The boys glanced at the pages as Sungmin propped it opened. “Then you can read Chinese?”

“Oh, not at all,” Kyuhyun chuckled. “Some parts may be lost in translation but I do with what I can.”

“...May you read a passage?” Sungmin asked tentatively.

Kyuhyun finally turned his attention away from Yesung and hesitantly looked their way, realizing all the brothers’ eyes were now on him. Though it was Sungmin who asked, they were all just as curious.

“Of course,” Kyuhyun smiled steadily, and began to voice a passage from the page Sungmin chose.

They all attentively listened, Sungmin even peered over his shoulder and his eyes dashed across the pages Kyuhyun held up for their view. Yesung watched from the corner of his eye at his brothers, flickering to the young man’s expression every so often. The reading continued until the doors open and steps in Second, who shares some food he’s brought.

Kyuhyun stood outside their home as they ate their meal with Yesung joining him, the latter having rejecting the food offered to him. Yesung didn’t look Kyuhyun’s way, preoccupied with the leaves that gently fell, all the while the younger man stole looks his way.

“You should eat at least some, you’re too thin.”

“I don’t like fruit.”

Kyuhyun then looked back at the slightly opened door at the brothers who were engrossed in their own conversation. “None of you can read?” Kyuhyun asked delicately, out of earshot from the others.

“...Fifth brother is the only one, he reads some pages we come across, albeit a little slower. If he practiced, then I’m sure he’d improve.”

“Then how do you practice all your plays? Don’t you have to learn your lines and stage direction?”

Yesung eyed him peculiarly, as if the suggestion was odd. “How other actors learn, through word of mouth and storytelling. That’s always how it’s been...” He appeared a little doubtful now. Neither was certain if they were wrong in this regard.

The falling leaves landed on Yesung’s clothing, and the actor swept them away as they continued to cling to his robs. Yesung happened to turn and see a single leaf land on Kyuhyun’s shoulder and reached out to tug it away. Kyuhyun turned his head and paused, staring at the gesture midway.

The actor hesitated, and his hand slowly lowered as Kyuhyun's eyes remained on him. Yesung turned his back on him to the younger man's quiet amusement.

There was always something unnatural about those eyes, Yesung felt. Something intangible, something vexing, it was something he had come to loathe each instance they met.

For every time they meet, it was becoming more and more difficult to look away.

Yesung crossed his arms as he looked forward into the surrounding forest. Kyuhyun gave a small smile and parted his lips to say–

“How would you write my name?”

They both turn to Seventh who appeared behind them and waited hopefully. Kyuhyun glanced inside the compartment but saw it lacked paper and ink. Yesung observed as Kyuhyun then improvised as he grabbed a small broken branch, tracing letters into the ground.

“Like this.” Kyuhyun smiled and showed Seventh. The youngest tilted his head at the letters that held no meaning to him, Yesung couldn’t help but watch as Kyuhyun instructed Seventh on every letter, sounding out each syllable without jeering the younger man. And soon all his brothers start to pay attention to the lesson at hand.

These moments couldn’t last long, and from their shadows casted on the ground, Yesung knew their time was over. “You should leave, we’ll be starting soon.”

Kyuhyun frowned. “Why can’t I stay at least once?” He looked to Sungmin for his usual signs of support. The other actor, however, gives an apologetic tilt of the head.

“You should,” Sungmin encouraged, closing the book on the table.

Kyuhyun was reluctant as Sungmin handed him his book with reluctance. He held it to his side and gave a short bow of the head, “I’ll see you another night.”

“Not for tonight’s performance?” Sungmin asked.

Kyuhyun is a little solemn. “Unfortunately no, I'm assisting my father tonight," he smiled, "a physician's work is never quite done.”

Yesung observed until the young man disappeared out of his sight before they all returned inside, he then looked at Sungmin who sleepily laid against the wall and winced apologetically. “I’m sorry Sungmin, I should have put him out so you could get some sleep.”

Sungmin arched an eyebrow. “You make him sound like a puppy. And it’s fine... it’s good to see you put trust in someone other than ourselves.”

Yesung pretended not to hear him.

When the door opened it’s no surprise who comes in, the leftover food is tucked beneath a soiled blanket and pushed aside behind them. Uncle walked in through the side and began hassling at them all. It was not a moment too soon, the last thing they wanted was for Uncle to know of their new friend. Kyuhyun may not have known of it, but it was for his own good.

“You’re all just sitting around here and not practicing?” Uncle said. through gritted teeth. “Some success is making you spoiled.”

Yesung leered, standing protectively in front of his brothers. “If you gave us a decent brunch now and then, we just might be.”

Sungmin gives a stern look to Yesung as Uncle rounded to the eldest brother. Yesung doesn’t stand back in the least. Before Uncle could get a word in, Sungmin interjected.

“Anything I must know tonight?”

Uncle lessened his sharp gaze, “Yes, good thing you reminded me.” He gestured for the others to follow, “Let’s go, we have to be ready, and I won’t have you haggardly walking in.”

He gives another last look to Yesung before heading out of the shaky home.

Yesung gathered his brothers and spotted Seventh still behind, twig on hand. “Let’s go,” he called gently and Seventh immediately dropped the stick and followed him. Beneath Kyuhyun’s own writing were distorted lines beneath.

-

Kyuhyun walked through his home with various herbs on hands, forced on him by his father who sent him out of his office. He stumbled upon his mother in the center of their courtyard.

“Your father distresses over you.” She smiled, “Why haven’t you taken into your studies?”

Kyuhyun sighed, “I will, I will. There’s no rush.”

“You must think of a deadline, or else your brothers will be all married and having grandchildren and you’ll still be considered just a student even in your old age.”

Kyuhyun has heard this too often since he turned of age and gave a strained smile, “Aren’t we all students of life?”

His mother shook her head and stepped away with her servants in tow, Kyuhyun gave a lopsided smile as he headed into the outdoor pavilion of his home.

Binded pages covered the table he sat in front of him, he lowered his eyes as he read through one of the books and kept his writing to the right. He stepped up and took the book with him as he walked about the pavilion, at the smell of smoke he turned around and caught the sight of the manservants burning paper into the fire.

He kept his back to the flames as another maidservant appeared and placed the bowl of friend on the table for him. He walked forward and reached for a slice when he paused.

“Why doesn’t he like these?” Kyuhyun bemused, and bit into the sweeten fruit to his pleasure.

He tried to focus, but his mind wandered and his hands began to scribble mindlessly on the bottom edge. Kyuhyun tried to recall each brother’s name. And as he puts it together, he looked back down at his finished list.

Yesung - first brother
Haksung - second brother
Sungjong - third brother
Sungmin - fourth brother
Joonsung - fifth brother
Baesung - sixth brother
Sunggyu - seventh brother

 


They had no last name, and each had a common character in their names, “odd coincidence,” he murmured out loud and leaned his head against his palm.

Knowing the actors as he had wasn’t too common, in fact he remained the only non-brother to know of their whereabouts in town, and it appeared for a reason.

“Do you swear it?”

It was two seasons before. Kyuhyun had jilted his studies and roamed the city late into the night, he paused when he first sees the actor, his make-up is a giveaway although heavily smeared, and the man laid passed out behind the hostel. Kyuhyun rushed to his side, and could see the man was feverish. Yesung woke up at nearly the sense of his hand to his wrist and immediately guarded himself despite his state.

“It’s alright, I was just going to take to my home, my father’s a physician here.”

Yesung didn’t appear to hear, or had refused to, and began to deliriously repeat the mantra, “I need to get home...I want to go home…”

“Then I’ll take you there.” Kyuhyun decided. “Where is it?”

For a while, Yesung stubbornly said nothing. Kyuhyun knelt down.

“Wouldn’t the others worry about you?” Kyuhyun asked, and his words seem to make him reflect. Yesung then looked at him determinedly.

“You can never tell anyone where we live. Do you swear it?” Though his voice is weak, there’s a fierce tone to it. And to Kyuhyun’s confusion, sees there’s vivid fear in his eyes.

Kyuhyun blinked, “I-I do.”

Yesung still appeared reluctant, but felt he could trust the younger man, he only hoped that feeling wasn't a mistake. “I’ll tell you where.”

And when Kyuhyun helped carry him to that remote home, he sees Sungmin sitting awake by the doorway and looking astonished at Kyuhyun’s presence. Kyuhyun helped lower the actor there into Sungmin’s care. And for a moment, Kyuhyun sees the usually kind Sungmin cast a dark look of suspicion his way as he takes Yesung inside and firmly close the door without a word of thanks.

Sungmin’s behavior returns to normal the next instance they meet, Yesung’s sharpness with him has tamed since. It’s as if the barriers surrounding the brothers lifted, and Kyuhyun feels he’s been accepted despite their reservations against him. And when they reveal their home to him, he knew it was a confidence he could never betray.

He then heard footsteps, and balled the paper in his hand.

And as the tutor stepped inside, he caught sight of something tossed into the flames that startled the manservants, and arched an eyebrow. “And here you are playing,” he crinkled his nose. “Have you read the passages?”

Kyuhyun looked back from the flames and nodded, and back into his study he went.

-

Fifth and Seventh were two of the newest members of the troupe. Fifth had been with them for just two years but he understood the troupe members well enough, all except one.

And each time he returned home from a patron, Sungmin sits up waiting for him, as he always does whenever one of them was away.

“Sungmin, you can just sleep even when we’re away, you don’t have many nights off.” Fifth chided.

And the actor just smiled back, but his emotions never quite reach his eyes, and to the actor, it's as if they’ve been ripped of his soul.

As of late, however, Sungmin looked tensed, and it’s a worrisome change. Fifth sighed, “I wish he’d tell us what’s wrong.” He said to Second.

“You shouldn’t pry.” Second chastised, “Sungmin always keeps his thoughts to himself.”

“Has it always been like that?”

Second blinked, pensive for a brief moment. “He was a spoiled kid when I first knew him. Whatever he wanted was his and he’d hide it from the rest of us, whenever he wanted something he’d outright demand it or find a way to lure you to do it.”

Fifth gave him a look of disbelief. Second briefly laughed, “He’s definitely changed since we were children.”

Even though Haksung and Yesung knew Sungmin for much longer than the other current actors in their troupe, Sungmin still didn’t confide to them either. They could only hope that whatever it was, that it doesn’t occupy his thoughts for long.

And when they head outside their home, Sungmin feels a hand on his shoulder and sees Fifth look his way. Sungmin is caught a little surprised by the gesture, “Yes?” he asked gently.

Fifth just patted his shoulders, “Let’s do well tonight,” he murmured and Sungmin nodded.

Sungmin gave his usual civil smile.

In all his time spent with the other, he’s sure he’s never seen a genuine one. Fifth set aside that troublesome thought.

-

“It isn’t as cold anymore,” Jimin commented, looking pleased with the change of weather outside and peered at the clouded night skies.

Sungmin just kept his gaze averted as the maiden made conversation. “...I don't understand why I’m here.”

Jimin returned inside and tilted her head. “Do you want to leave?”

She and Dana often accompanied him each night he came by, and there was still no hint of their lord who requested him.

Their lord may have been the jealous sort, the kind who refused to share the actor with any other patron in town. It’s not a first for Sungmin.

He glanced swiftly at the compartment and replied, “No.” If this was all his lord wanted of him, then who was he to change that.

Jimin smiled and stood up, pardoning herself as she left the room. Sungmin returned to the table and eyed the plentiful of food, his brothers had enjoyed the last bounty he brought. He'd take them just before his time to leave.

As the night darkened, Sungmin heard the trickle of rain outside. He left his seat and walked forward as he slid open both doors.

With winter now passing, it was the first rain of the season. He sat at the edge of the platform and gazed above at the clouds that were interchangeable with the sky. He leaned his head against the pillar and observed the soft patter.

“It isn’t good to play in the rain.”

The young boy was held as the two took shelter by the large tree. The little boy reached out his hand and felt the soft rain drops hit his hand.

The man coddled the boy close who visibly protested, “I want to play!” His squirming is stopped as he’s held and felt the man’s face lean against the top of his head. His protests stop as the boy grows fascinated with the rain.

The man smiled wistfully as his grip intensified, the purple cloth in his hand.

“We’ll be alright.”

Sungmin opened his eyes, stirring from his dream. He didn’t mean to rest. The rain continued to fall as the actor folded his legs from the edge that were now dampened. He recalled his dream and quietly lamented, “Has it already been so long?”

He lifted himself off the ground when he hit something, and he winced as he turned around at the culprit. A wooden umbrella that fell onto its side.

“When did…?” He murmured. He stood up and folded the umbrella that sheltered his upper half, his eyes drift from the umbrella to his surroundings, and gradually to the compartment door to the left.

The umbrella propped against the wall as the actor stood in front of the compartment, hesitation gripped the man until he slowly knelt before it.

He cleared his throat and at last slid the door opens.

The compartment was slightly bigger than it appeared, wide enough to fit the width of a man and longer, and inside was a short table where a tray was placed with empty bowls. And by it, the bedding.

The first thing he sees, however, were layers of dark blue robes.

His eyes follow the indigo lined with silver t until it reaches a set of covered arms, making out the rest of the figure whose robes loosely fit. It’s almost too dark to see, and his eyes soon reach the figure’s face.

There was a red demon mask placed over his face. Sungmin feels his heart stop at the sight and jumps back, his arms clattering against the nearest table.

“Do not touch.”

Sungmin immediately stands up, turning at Dana’s kind face. Though he had no intention of touching the man as Dana predicts he would, he immediately steps out and drops to the floor in deep apology.

“I’ll leave immediately.”

“There’s no need.” Dana smiled, Sungmin keeps his head low nonetheless. He shouldn’t have pried for the sake of his curiosity.

His heart gradually calmed as Sungmin averted away. Dana gave a reflective look as she checked inside the compartment, then closed the doors. She checked on the actor, “Are you afraid?” Such a question appeared as no surprise to her.

Sungmin lifted his head and it appears she’s caught up in what his answer could be, “Is it not lonely in there?” He asked, hopeful for a change in subject.

“My lord prefers his solitude, he does not pride himself with social communication.”

The actor walked back outside and tried to regain his breathing. He felt uneasy, thinking of the man who remained so still, almost as if he wasn’t breathing, acting as a dead man his thoughts speak. Sungmin felt his blood run cold.

He walked down the steps and paused at the bottom step as he looked about. He held a better view of the manor this time around. The gardens that had yet to fully grow surrounded the home, pathways with small bridges over thin streams of water. And to a distance, a large open pavillion that held some seats and a few wooden desks inside, though it looked prepped for relaxation or study, it was always left empty.

Frankly, it was too big of a home for one man.

“It is not a lie, my lord is fairly unwell.”

Sungmin didn’t look back as Dana knelt on the floor by him, she continued, “There are some days he struggles to even get out of bed. It was a test for him to come visit and watch the play. He always requests going at least once in every town we visit.”

Dana smoothes out her clothes and calmly explained. “His mask... it discourages those who might do him wrong because of his health. He’s always been cautious, but for any man of wealth, he has reason to be.”

“Is he wary of me then?”

Dana considered this before answering. “I do not believe so, he’s probably more bothered by the fact that he cannot meet with you in his full health.”

Sungmin nods, his gaze still on the abundant scenery. “Does he have family?”

“A few.”

“Do you?” Sungmin just needed the conversation to move along, barely caring for the answers. Slowly, he felt his heart behaving normally.

“A younger sister, but she’s married off now.” She grinned widely. “And you? Any sisters? Brothers?”

“After being with them for so long, I consider them all to be my brothers.” Sungmin curled his fists. “...I should leave now,” he uttered, and silently pleaded that she’d agree.

Dana glanced at the actor's pale face and gave a tenative nod. She remained quiet as the actor made his departure when she heard sounds behind her. She turned her head towards the compartment.

Sungmin bowed as he stepped past the two guards. He paused as he stood shoe deep in the dirt and reached for the pockets deep in his robes until he pulls out a small, worn cloth. It appeared to help his nerves and his breathing relaxes, the wind is gentle as was the rain, and for a moment, he feels wrapped in serenity.

A loud yell crossed the crisp air, interrupting the serene silence. Sungmin snapped back to the manor where the sound had escaped, he felt his chest tighten as he sees a single guard enter inside alongside the rush of maidservants towards the main house. Sungmin took staggered steps back.

It felt as if the years reverted back to when he was just a child, and here he faced a monster lying in wait inside.

“Hyung...” He whispered instinctively.

The crack of a branch beneath him snaps Sungmin out of his thoughts and he looks down. He stood in the center of the growing water and the rain slid down his cheeks, his fingers gripping the purple cloth until his knuckles turned white.

There was no use calling the name of a dead man.