GANG BRAWL 16 - InterSAT Bonfire

MY GANGSTER PROTECTOR
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

credits: creeyyjjii

credits: trpplr_c

 

“Let the InterSAT bonfire begin.”

 

The crowd became rowdy at the overseer’s announcement. Dara whimpered in pain when she was pushed left and right. The students’ excitement soared when Ice Lord started striding towards the spectators area. Dara was too preoccupied dodging the bodies that were squeezing her to notice that Jiro is already standing in front of her. She yelped in surprise when her arm was yanked and she collided with Jiro’s chest, his arm snaking around her waist.

 

“Move aside”, he growled at the students who were pushing her earlier.

 

“Jiro”, Dara said in surprise. He slowly lowered his gaze at her, his jaws clenching in annoyance and his eyes conveying his genuine disapproval. “What the hell are you doing here, Ramirez?”

 

“I was worried”, she said as Jiro released her.

 

“Of your friend?” He asked, raising his hand to wipe the sweat off her face.

 

“Please don’t fight with him.”

 

His eyes narrowed at her, making Dara take a step back. She knew at this point, nothing can change his mind. But it was worth a shot. Bullet is her friend and she doesn’t want to see him hurt. She also doesn’t want to see Jiro in a fight.

 

“Why are you going this far for him?” His every word was laced with something she cannot quite fathom. She watched as she swallowed hard and exhaled audibly, his eyebrows furrowing as if he was in pain because of something.

 

“I just don’t want any of you to get hurt.”

 

“I won’t get hurt. He will.”

 

Dara gnawed her lips and stared directly at him. “I don’t want that either.” She heard his sharp intake of breath as he averted his gaze. “Jiro, I-…”

 

“Enough.”

 

“But-…”

 

“ENOUGH”, he growled, making the other students around them jerk back in fright.

 

“I’ll walk you home”, he said after a while and reached for Dara’s wrist, but the girl avoided his hand.

 

“I don’t want to”, Dara said firmly.

 

“Ramirez…”

 

“I’ll stay here. If you drag me home, I’ll just come back. Unless, you’re not going to participate in the duel anymore.”

 

Seeing her resolve, Jiro sighed in exasperation and grabbed her wrist once again.

 

“I told you, I’m not going anywhere unless-…”

 

“I’ll just take you to the Black Dragons area. If you want to watch the InterSAT bonfire, then you better stay beside me”, he muttered.

 

Dara stopped protesting and followed him, with Jiro walking ahead of her holding her wrist. “Jiro, please don’t challenge Bullet”, she asked while staring at his back.

 

“It’s too late. The challenges have been passed to the overseer.”

 

She clenched her fist and lowered her gaze. “Isn’t there anything I can do to stop you?” She whispered. 

 

***

 

“Punch his face! YEAH!”

 

“You can do it!”

 

“No! Don’t raise the white flag! FIGHT!”

 

Dara unconsciously gripped a fistful of Jiro’s shirt from behind while watching the duel, wincing at every punch that landed on the challenger’s face. The past fights were not this fierce, almost to the point of killing each other. She gasped when she saw blood trickling down the guy’s face, her breathing becoming ragged.

 

Suddenly, Jiro stepped sideward, blocking her view. “Stay behind me. Don’t watch”, she heard him say as he crossed his arms over his chest.

 

Her grip on his shirt tightened, her mind wandering back to that night when Jiro told her about his past. ‘I met the wrong people, joined underground fights to survive…’ This is the kind of life that he had. This is the kind of pain he had to endure before he met her father. No wonder Jiro has a high regard for her dad.

 

“I don’t want to see you fight”, she mumbled, but he did not respond. “I don’t want to see you fight, Jiro”, she repeated.

 

“That’s why I told you not to come”, he said quietly without glancing back at her. Her heart hammered painfully as she stared at his back.

 

“The white flag has been raised”, the overseer announced on top of the loud cheers from everyone. “The winner of this duel is Blaze from Steel Arc gang!”

 

Relief flooded her body when the duel ended. She can’t stomach seeing another man hurt because of the stupid InterSAT bonfire tradition. Her relief, however, was immediately replaced by fear when the dreaded moment came.

 

“The next duel! Ice Lord from the Black Dragons gang versus Bullet from the Fire 39 gang!”

 

The overseer’s voice rang in her ears, her heartbeat doubling its pace and her eyes widening in disbelief. “No”, she whispered, not letting go of Jiro’s shirt.

 

“Ramirez…” She heard Jiro’s voice despite of the thunderous roar or approval and whistling from the gangs and the spectators, but she ignored it. She can’t let him go. No. After witnessing what he needs to face – the fight, the blood, she can’t let him walk in there. And why are these people cheering happily? Didn’t they see those injured guys? Didn’t they see what might happen if they continue with this stupid duel?

 

“Let go of me, Ramirez.”

 

“No!”

 

Jiro reached for her hand behind him, unclasping her grip. He then turned around to face her, narrowing his eyes when he saw her shaking like a leaf while darting her gaze around in fright. He raised his hand and reached for her cheek. “Look at me”, he murmured.

 

Dara slowly dragged her eyes towards him, trying to control her tears that are threatening to fall. “Stop this”, she whispered pleadingly. His eyebrows were mashed together as he glanced back and looked at the Fire 39 leader. He shifted his gaze to Dara and withdrew his hand, his stoic expression not giving a hint of what he’s thinking.

 

“Stay here”, he said and spun around.

 

“Jiro!” Dara tried to stop him, but the guy is already striding towards the center, where Bullet and the overseer were waiting. She bit her lips as she watched his retreating back. When she saw Bullet staring at her, she can only pray that the two guys will stop the fight before any of them get seriously hurt.

 

“Write your demands on the paper”, Spade, the overseer, instructed. Bullet immediately complied, scribbling something on the paper and giving it to Spade. He turned his gaze to Jiro and saw him deeply staring at his paper. Without uttering a word, he finally handed it to the overseer.

 

The side of Bullet’s lips curved in a smile; the ecstatic cheers of their gang mates and the other students making his blood pump with excitement. He trained hard for this day.

 

He then glanced towards the girl who was standing among the Black Dragons, his smile slowly fading. He trained hard for her. If he must first overcome the big hurdle, by the name of Jiro Montecillo, that separates him from her, then he will face him head on, no matter what the consequences may be.

 

He had tried to convince himself many times that he was only interested with Dara because he was curious of her relationship with InterSAT’s strongest gangster. But that lie is starting to lose its grip on him, until he finally surrendered to what his heart is truly telling him.

 

“Wait. Ice Lord, what’s this?” Spade asked in bewilderment while looking at Jiro’s paper. Bullet watched as the overseer turned both their papers and showed their demands to them.

 

In Bullet’s paper, it was written that he wanted Jiro to stop meddling with him and Dara. That if he is with her, Jiro should not go near them.

 

In Jiro’s paper, however…

 

“What the is this, Montecillo?” Bullet roared in rage. The gang members and the spectators fell silent after seeing the Fire 39 leader’s outburst. They stretched their necks, trying to see what got Bullet agitated, but they can’t see what was written on the papers that the overseer was holding.

 

“Are you not going to take this seriously?” Bullet exclaimed.

 

“I am serious”, came Ice Lord’s reply. “I’m assuming you have no objection?” He then turned to Spade who was rooted on his spot, too confused to utter a word. “Can we begin?” Jiro asked.

 

Spade looked at the papers again before casting a questioning look at Bullet. “Are you okay with this?”

 

Bullet exhaled in exasperation and raked his hair with his fingers. “Fine”, he said. “You are an , Montecillo”, he muttered before taking his position near the bonfire.

 

Jiro glanced over Dara once again - noticing that she was standing stiffly with her hands covering , her eyes conveying her fear - before he started striding towards his position to face Bullet.

 

“Ice Lord of Black Dragons versus Bullet of Fire 39. Let the due

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter