GANG BRAWL 9 - Fire 39 Leader

MY GANGSTER PROTECTOR
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

credits: ThisIsAnneca

 

Dara’s POV

 

This kind of awkward is not something I expect in a Sunday morning. I can deal with Namee’s mouth any time of day, but I’m not sure how to handle a big guy crying in the middle of the street…and he happens to be the leader of one of the gangs in our school. Should I pat his back? Ruffle his hair? Like a pet? Nah.

 

Left with nothing to say, I sighed. “This is awkward, right?”

 

“Really? I’m quite comfortable”, he teased and smiled at me while wiping the tears at the corner of his eyes.

 

“Are you alright?”

 

“Yeah”, he mumbled and casted his eyes downwards. “Well… See you around, I guess”, he said and hastily strode past me.

 

Why do I get entangled in this kind of mess every now and then? Handling a crying guy is beyond my power but I can’t just leave him alone after witnessing that drama, can I?

 

“Wait”, I held his arm to stop him and he glanced back at me quizzically. Darn. What should I say? “D-Do you want ice cream?” God, I’m really useless in this kind of situation.

 

“Excuse me?”

 

“I’ll treat you to ice cream”, I said.

 

“Like a kid?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“You’re hurting my manly ego, you know”, he crossed his arms over his chest and looked down at me like he’s a superior human being. Men.

 

“So, you don’t want it?”

 

“What flavor?”

 

“Your choice.”

 

“Chocolate.”

 

“Okay.”

 

“Let’s go”, he said.

 

I never imagined guys could be so simple.

 

***

 

“Why aren’t you asking me anything?” Bullet said with a spoon dangling in his mouth.

 

“I’m not in the position to ask”, Dara replied.

 

“You are. You’re my friend.”

 

Dara eyed him and arched her eyebrow. What is up with this guy and his unending mission to make her his friend? He already has a lot of fan girls in InterSAT, not to mention gang mates.

 

“It must be really awkward for you to see that”, Bullet added.

 

‘This is awkward’, Dara thought. Why won’t he just stop with the small talk and eat the damn ice cream? She could hardly swallow whenever he opens his mouth. To be honest, she winces every time he moves because she’s not used to this kind of chill scene after witnessing the earlier drama.

 

“Hey, I’m trying here. You can at least pretend to have a normal conversation with me.”

 

“Fine”, Dara sighed. “Who was that who slapped you?”

 

“My father’s wife”, he answered nonchalantly.

 

“Your father’s wife? Your mom?”

 

“Stepmom. I’m an illegitimate child. Son of a mistress”, he shrugged.

 

Shocker. Now she’s regretting why she indulged him. She should have remained silent. How does she respond to that?

 

“You want to change topic now, don’t you?” He smiled and scooped the ice cream on Dara’s glass.

 

“Can we?”

 

“Yep.”

 

Thank goodness. “So, uhm…”

 

“Why are you letting Takizawa have her way with Jiro?” Bullet suddenly asked, throwing her off-guard.

 

“Huh?” She blinked at him in bewilderment. What is he trying to say this time?

 

“I know you’re jealous of her-…”

 

“Excuse me, I’m NOT jealous!”

 

“Defensive, aren’t we?”

 

“I’m not.”

 

“I heard you kissed him on the hallway.”

 

“Bullet!”

 

“I have you figured out, Dara Ramirez”, he pointed his spoon at her and smirked.

 

“What nonsense are you talking about?” She hissed and slapped his hand away.

 

“You’re known as Jiro’s girl in InterSAT.”

 

“I’m not Jiro’s girl!”

 

Bullet suddenly stood up and sat beside her, draping his arm on her shoulder. “Then, do you want to be my girl instead?”

 

“Wha-… Are you hitting on me?” She scowled and pushed him away.

 

Bullet shrugged and scooped the ice cream on Dara’s glass again. “Just trying my luck, munchkin.”

 

“I really can’t have a normal conversation with you.”

 

He just laughed at her annoyed face and leaned back on the seat, roaming his eyes around. Dara rested her chin on her palm and observed him. Bullet was now staring in a distance, lost in his own thoughts. Dara can only assume he is still thinking about the incident earlier.

 

“Does it still hurt?” She reached for his cheek and caressed it with her fingers, making him whip his head towards her. He blinked a couple of times before smiling at her. “It hurts a lot. Do you want to kiss it? This part”, he said and pointed at his cheek. Dara rolled her eyes and withdrew her hand.

 

“Come onnn! Make the pain go away”, he insisted while leaning his cheek towards her.

 

“What is your family like?” Dara asked, ignoring his childish behavior. Bullet was taken aback and he regarded her for a minute before answering, “A normal one.”

 

“Do you have any siblings?”

 

“No. I’m the only son. My father’s wife can’t bear any children”, he stated lazily.

 

“I hope you don’t mind me asking this but where’s your mom?” Dara noticed how Bullet tensed a bit with the question, but he was quick to hide it with his smile.

 

“You’re really interested in me, huh?” He teased, but Dara did not buy his façade.

 

“If you’re uncomfortable talking about it, we can change topic again”, she said thoughtfully.

 

“I’m alright”, Bullet replied hurriedly. “I don’t know where my mom is, to be honest. She’s probably enjoying her time somewhere far after my dad gave her a fortune in exchange of leaving me in his care”, he said while playing with the spoon he was holding. “But everything worked out fine. I can put up with my stepmom as long as she doesn’t meddle with my business.”

 

“Why did she slap you earlier?”

 

“She wanted me to transfer school and I refused. I told her that no matter what I do, I will not be able to meet her expectations anyway since from the very start, I’m not part of the family. And then, she slapped me”, he smirked. He then tilted his head to look at her while smiling, “Well, that’s me. That’s my life.”

 

It’s quite obvious, actually. The way he hides his pain behind his smile; the way he desperately wants everyone to believe that he’s fine. She had a glimpse of how the leader of Fire 39 really is, and it squeezes her heart a bit.

 

Dara sighed and leaned forward, giving him a quick peck on the cheek. Bullet flinched, startled with what she did. He looked at her in astonishment, his eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

 

“That’s for saving me in the back gate before.” Dara said and smiled at him. “And I hope that will make the pain go away.”

 

She was expecting him to say something crazy again; to while smiling playfully and to claim that she has a crush on him. After all, she just kissed the biggest flirt in InterSAT. Surely, he won’t let this slide. But none of those happened. Instead, Bullet extended his arm and ruffled her hair. There was no smile in his lips as he stared directly at her and said, “It worked. I feel better now.”

 

***

 

It’s been a while since she became a student of InterSAT and her view of the school did not change. It still is a madhouse. Dara sat on the ground beneath the tree and waved at the former Bridge Rose student that passed by. She placed her books beside her and roamed her eyes around. Yes, InterSAT is indeed a crazy place; but the students have their own stories to tell that many people tend to overlook. She opened her book and began reading, thankful for the silence that brings her comfort.

 

“DARAAA!!!!”

 

Of course, it takes one Namee to ruin that silence and blow away the comfort.

 

“DARAAA!!!”

 

God, make her shut up. Please make her shut up!

 

“DARAAA!!” Namee slumped beside Dara and threw her arms around her. “DARAAA!!!!”

 

“What?!”

 

“Nothing”, Namee beamed at her and leaned her back on the tree. “I just want to shout your name.”

 

“You’re crazy”, Dara exclaimed in frustration.

 

“So…” Namee snatched the book from Dara’s hand and looked at her squarely in the eyes, “I heard some things about Takizawa.”

 

“Seriously, Namee? You’re not letting this go? I think Riko is not a bad person.”

 

“She looks like a fairy princess and everything in her possession has glitters. Therefore, she’s a bad person. Now, listen…”

 

“You know, you have a twisted sense of logic.”

 

“LISTEN!!” Namee whined. “Takizawa helped the Black Dragons once that’s why Jiro is letting her stick with him.”

 

“I’ve already heard that from Jiro”, Dara mumbled.

 

“But I found out that it’s not entirely true.”

 

Dara frowned, “What?”

 

“Takizawa did help someone but he’s not from the Black Dragons. But then, Ice Lord told his gang that he owes one to Takizawa since the man she helped is someone he respects so his gang mates considered it as their debt to her as well.”

 

“That’s odd. Who did she help then?”

 

“I don’t know. He must be someone close to Ice Lord.” Nam

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter