Back In the Day

The Rabbit Hole

Huff. Pant. Gasp.

Huff. Pant. Gasp.

Where am I?

Jessica?

Where’s Jessica?

The panic rises in my chest as I wander through the thick forest. Not far behind me, I can hear the enraged shouts of a crowd, and rapid footsteps indicating that I am in a chase.

Or rather being chased.

Just keep running. I remind myself. The shouts get softer. The vegetation gets thicker. I trip and stumble, falling into a rather thick bush. A hand clamps upon my mouth and I struggle for a bit, before realising who it is.
“Jessica?!” I hiss.
“Shut up, you loudmouth!” she spits back.
“What the is going on?” I glare at her.
“Well, we were being chased.”

Oh really? I roll my eyes.

“Who are we and where are we?” I sigh.
I have no ing idea,” she groans, “but judging from the plants, this isn’t Korea.”
“Ah. I think we may be in South Central China,” I make a guess, seeing as just saw a Chinese forest musk deer scamper into the deeper forest.
“Okay, we’re in China. What period?”
“I think maybe the Song Dynasty. Oh, we have purple scarves, I think we’re wealthy in this universe.”
“Oh good. I do not want to work on a farm again,” Jessica sighs in relief.
“But why are they chasing us?”
“As I said before, I have no ing idea.
“Thank you for your contribution, Jessica.”
“No problem.”
“Wait, are we speaking Chinese right now?”
“Say something like, a city y’know.”
San Francisco,” I whisper uncertainly.
“Well there’s no accent, and I understand it perfectly. Now, name the emperor.”
Sòng Zhēn Zōng,” I didn’t even need to think about it. The name just flowed out.
Jessica nodded, “so that means we’re in about 968 and 1022 AD.”
“But why are we being chased?” I am beginning to get frustrated.
“I SAID. I have no ing idea, Tiffany Hwang, are you deaf? But since we’re being chased, we should run.”
“I agree,” we get up and begin running deeper into the forest.

Maybe I should tell you why all of this is happening.

Well.

I can’t exactly do that, because I don’t know either. Just that one day, Jessica and I woke up someplace which was definitely not home.

Gunshots ring out. The air was heavy with smoke and screaming.
“JESSICAAA!!!” I screamed.
“Shut the
up, woman! Get your head down! You’ll get yourself killed!” a man in uniform screamed at me. Ignoring him, I fired the gun in my hand. Wait. Gun in my hand? Why did I have a gun? Why was I in a muddy trench? Why was I wearing a uniform?
“Private Hwang! Get your together! The enemy is coming on strong today!” Lieutenant Jung shouted.

Lieutenant Jung?!

JESSICA?!

“Jessica! What the is going on?!” I screamed frantically.
She grabbed me by the collar and glared at me, before hissing in my ear, “listen up
private, you will treat your superiors as such. I will not stand such insubordination!”
She dropped me, and stalked off.

Was I the only one who found this strange?
“Watch out for the rabbit bombs!” someone screamed as a rabbit landed in the trench.
What the was going on.

And from there things just spiralled out of hand.

Jessica adapted extremely, while I, on the other hand, took a while to adjust.

I still hate it, but hey, you gotta deal with the life hands you.

It’s just that sometimes the takes an extremely long time to clear up. 

Like now.

Jesus ing Christ.

 

 

_________________________
_________________________

A short introduction.
As you may have figured, Tiffany isn't taking this very well.