Fools

Fools

 

“I hate you, Jessica Jung.”

 

 

Jessica’s breath hitched—and definitely not in a good way—at hearing those words. Her heart sunk, an aching pain spreading like wildfire. It felt like all the oxygen got out of her lungs, and asphyxiation would be her ultimate doom.

She watched with a broken heart as her love walked away, her heart shattering more and more into tiny pieces with every step she took.

Tiffany hates her.

And it was her fault.

 

You’re a fool, Jung. A stupid fool.

 

 

 

 

 

It all started at the night of March 31, the night before April 1—better known by the masses as April Fools’ Day.

Jessica was comfortably lounging on the living room couch, peacefully having her sacred hour of reading. She was reading a crime/mystery book, and she looked quite scholarly, in fact—with a black-rimmed reading glass perched atop her nose.

On a warm night, she would usually be asleep. Tonight, however, was different. She was waiting up for Tiffany, as per request of said girl.

It wasn’t a problem, though. She would wait forever for Tiffany—even stay up for as long as Tiffany commands, if that would please her so.

Yup. She was whipped. With bold letters, and an exclamation point.

 

 

“You look busy,”

 

Jessica casted an annoyed glance at the intruder. She was just getting to the good part of the book, and here comes Kwon Yuri—and she brought back-up aka Im Yoona.

“Yes, I’m busy,” she answered seriously, hoping that two would take the hint and leave her alone. “I’m reading if you guys can’t tell.”

 

Tsk.”

 

The couple plopped down on the couch beside hers—a gesture that had her groaning inwardly. Obviously, they weren’t planning on leaving anytime soon.

Jessica let out a sigh and decided to ignore them.  She folded her legs in front of her and settled the book on her knees to block the view of the two.

And it worked for a full minute. But alas, Yuri and Yoona were both bent on disturbing Jessica’s sacred hour.

“You’re too serious, Sica-yah,” Yuri remarked.

Yoona hummed in agreement. “Yeah, unnie.”

Jessica peeked from behind the book again. “I am not. What are you two talking about?”

“Denial!” Yuri pressed on. “You’re too serious… You always have this blank—

“—stoic—” Yoona added.

“—expression… always icy—

“—always cold!”

“Do you even have any other emotions?”

Jessica snapped her book shut. “Of course I do,” she answered, her words heavily coated with ice.

“There! You see what I mean?”

The blonde hissed in annoyance. “What exactly is your point, Kwon?”

“Hey now… don’t get too hot. We’re just saying that you’re too… well, too ‘Jessica’. Always living up to your Ice Princess title is boring!—

Yah!

“I mean, c’mon! Do you think Tiffany would want a girlfriend who has just as much emotion as a rock?”

“Tiffany loves me just as I am!” Jessica yelled in defense, though the words Yuri said were already getting through her head. “She loves me,” she repeated, more to reassure herself.

“We know that, unnie,” Yoona replied. “But don’t you think Tiffany would find you boring later on and fall out of love with you?”

Jessica faltered. “N-No… Tiff would never leave me.”

The two shrugged.

“We’re just speculating, Sica.”

“D-Do you… do you guys really think I’m becoming boring?”

Yuri and Yoona looked at each other, before both nodding at the older girl.

Jessica felt anxious.

“What should I do??”

The two sat down on either side of Jessica, their arms on her shoulders.

“Well, first off, you gotta be more funny… learn to laugh a little, you know,” Yuri said.

“Remember, Tiffany unnie always mentioned that she loves how funny Hyoyeon unnie is… She loves people who can make her laugh.”

Jessica nodded. “Right… But I’m not good with jokes.”

“Well, how about this? Since tomorrow’s April Fools’ Day, you could do a prank on her.”

“A prank?” Jessica pulled back from their holds. “Nuh uh! My Fany hates pranks. She even cried when you guys pranked her with fake bugs!”

“Oh c’mon, unnie! That’s different! You’re different than us! You’re her girlfriend. She’d laugh it off, and at the end of the day, you guys would be closer than ever!”

“Really…?”

“Of course!” the two chorused.

“We prank ourselves every time, right, Yoong?”

“That’s right. And we always have a good laugh, Yul and I. A good laugh is one key to a perfect relationship.”

“Aww… I love you, Yoong!”

“Love you, too, baby!”

“Okay, okay!! I get it!” Jessica interrupted the budding moment. “What should I do, then?”

“Easy. Just ignore her the whole day tomorrow—”

“EH? I can’t do that! I can’t live without my daily dose of Tiffany and—”

“Sica! Rewards would be fruitful, I tell you! At the end of the day, she’d be missing you so damn much, and she’d be all over you! Who knows…? You might get lucky tomorrow night.”

Jessica’s ears perked up at that.

“Okay.”

“Good! Now, you can start tonight, then. So, you should…?” Yuri trailed off, gesturing her to finish the sentence.

“I… should… go to sleep without waiting for her…?”

“Right, unnie! And remember, tomorrow, you ignore her! Pretend she doesn’t exist. Even make her jealous, or whatsoever.”

“Got it,” Jessica nodded once. “Thanks, guys!”

And with that, the Ice Princess walked off to her own room.

Yuri and Yoona smirked.

“Prank initialized, Yoong.”

“HellFany underway tomorrow, Yul.”

“You’re an excellent actress, Yoong baby.”

“And you’re a brilliant prank master, my Yul.”

They both chuckled and retreated to their shared room, highly anticipating tomorrow’s events.

The book was left on the living room couch.

 

~+~

 

And as planned, Jessica did what the pranksters told her. She had acted as if Tiffany never existed.

 

 

“Good morning, love!” Tiffany greeted cheerfully as Jessica walked out of her bedroom.

Jessica didn’t reply and made a beeline towards the couch. She plopped down on it and easily pretended to fall asleep again.

The eye-smiling girl pouted as her girlfriend full-on ignored her. She sat down at the edge of the couch beside the older girl, gingerly brushing her hair. “You must be so tired, huh? You didn’t even wait up for me last night, even if you promised you would…”

Yuri and Yoona snickered to themselves as they saw the whole scene.

 

 

“Jessi, you’re awake! Sit beside me! I made you French toasts!”

Jessica groggily walked to the dining room, where all the members were having breakfast, and sat down on the nearest chair, next to Taeyeon.

“Taengoo~~ feed me!” she crooned with her best puppy-eyed expression, pointing at the leader’s omelet.

Taeyeon was a bit baffled at the unexpected aegyo. She glanced at her girlfriend, Sunny, but the other short girl just shrugged and gave an ok sign to heed to Jessica.

And so, Taeyeon fed the girl straight from her own plate, and Jessica ate with a smile on her face. It was a wonder, indeed. She suspected Jessica lacked sleep, but whatever. It’s not every day that the Ice Princess acts cute.

“How does it taste, princess?”

“Delicious!”

Tiffany frowned at the sight before her. Jessica had ignored her once again.

“Jessi…” she murmured under her breath.

Only two members heard it, and they high-fived under the table.

 

 

The whole day passed with events like so.

At rehearsal, Jessica would dance so seriously and ignore subtle talks initiated by Tiffany. She laughed along with the other members, but never even sparing a glance at Tiffany.

During rehearsal breaks, Jessica would pretend to be asleep in one corner, completely tuning out Tiffany who would brush her hair and talk to her even when she was ‘asleep’.

At lunch, Jessica called over Krystal, who was fortunately just on the next studio near them. Tiffany, yet again, was ignored.

Tiffany kept her patience throughout the day, but one last encounter had her fuse breaking.

They all just finished their schedules and were back at the dorm.

Jessica was walking off to her room, but Tiffany caught on fast.

She grabbed the older girl’s wrist and made her look at her.

Jessica couldn’t hide the surprise on her face, but she kept her cool after a few seconds.

Tiffany fired her final shot.

 

“I love you.”

 

Jessica saw Yuri and Yoona, along with all the members, watching from the sidelines. She slowly pulled away from Tiffany’s grip and turned to walk away.

“Are you gonna freakin’ ignore me again?!” Tiffany screamed, tears pooling on her eyelids. “What did I do, Jessica?”

The blonde turned back to the redhead. From the corner of her eye, she saw Yuri signaling to end the ‘prank’.

She smiled uneasily at seeing Tiffany in near tears. “April Fools’, Tiff…” she said.

 

“W-What?”

 

Jessica chuckled awkwardly, slowly approaching the younger girl. “It’s April 1st, baby. I’m sor—Tiff?”

Tiffany stepped back from Jessica’s advances. “You think this is funny?”

Jessica’s eyes widened, clearly alarmed at that statement and the tone in her girlfriend’s voice. “Tiff, let me explain—”

“Explain what, Jung?! How you ignored me the whole day and literally made me feel so unimportant? Did you think it’s funny that the whole day, I’m thinking that I did something wrong to make you ignore me? Were you laughing at how hopeless I was, begging for your attention?? You think our relationship’s a joke to be messed around with?? HUH?!”

Tears ran down Tiffany’s cheeks.

“Tiff… I didn’t mean—”

“You hurt me,” Tiffany sniffed up her tears. “I’m serious about you, Jessica. But it looks like you don’t feel the same. You made a fool out of me.”

“No, Tiff, I—”

“I hate you, Jessica Jung.”

And with that, Tiffany ran off to her room, leaving everyone agape at what just happened.

Jessica fell on her knees, tears sliding down her cheeks.

“Tiffany hates me,” she murmured weakly as she curled to a ball, sobbing loudly.

Taeyeon and the other rushed to her.

Yuri and Yoona were pale white. Guilt surged through their whole being, and they moved near to Jessica, crying out loud with her.

“We’re sorry!!” Yuri wailed as she held on to Jessica’s arm. “It was supposed to be a prank. We wanted to unleash HellFany on you, Sica! That was it! Nothing more!”

“We didn’t mean for Tiffany unnie to break up with you, unnie!!” Yoona cried out next to her. “We’re really sorry, Sica unnie!!”

“Sorry means nothing to me now,” Jessica replied—resulting in even louder cries from the two. “Because of you two, my Tiffany now hates me. I’d rather die!”

“NOOOOO!!”

“We’ll help you, unnie!”

“Yeah, we’ll make it up to you! We’ll do anything!”

Jessica slowly stood up, Yuri and Yoona still desperately clinging on to her limbs. “Anything?”

“Yes, anything! We promise!”

“Really?”

“Really!”

“Then, you guys would apologize to Tiffany?”

“Yes!”

“Be my personal slaves?”

“Yes!”

“For a whole month?”

“Yes!”

“And do my laundry?”

“Yes!”

“And clean up Prince’s poop?”

“Yes—wait, what?”

At that moment, Yuri and Yoona realized that the other members were sniggering, failing ultimately in stifling their laughs and clutching their stomachs at the hilarity of it all.

They looked up and saw Jessica smirking at them. About a few feet behind her was Tiffany, smirking along.

“April Fools’, YoonYul,” Jessica smugly said.

“B-But how—”

“I saw Jessi’s book at the living room, so I knew she did wait up for me,” Tiffany answered, smiling as she looped her arm through Jessica’s. “I went to her room and found her wide awake. She told me about what you guys told her, and we came up with the plan.”

“You fooled us!” Yuri cried out.

“That was so mean!” Yoona spoke up. “We cried for you, unnie!”

“What’s it like tasting your own medicine, eh?” Taeyeon patted their heads.

“Genius,” Hyoyeon commented, clearly awed at the brilliant prank.

“Well then,” Jessica started. “I believe Prince has a surprise for you two by the balcony, quite a big one, in fact.”

The YoonYul couple groaned.

“And afterwards, you can go ahead and make dinner for everyone. Just be sure to disinfect your hands first. Get to it, my personal slaves.”

The other members patted their heads in pity and proceeded to their rooms.

“Let’s go, Tiff,” Jessica led the way to Tiffany’s room.

“Aren’t you being too harsh on them?”

“Would you want them to prank you again?”

“No.”

“Then, no.”

Tiffany giggled, joining Jessica on the bed and cuddling to her. “Were you really considering ignoring me for the whole day?”

“Maybe—just kidding! Of course not, baby! Pretending to ignore you was already hard as it is. I would never survive a day without you. I love you that much.”

“Cheesy Jessi…”

“…”

“…”

“Tiff…”

“Yeah?”

“Is there anything you want me to change? You know… my stoicism or whatever…”

Tiffany scooted up, kissing the girl’s lips. “You’re Jessica, and that’s all I’ll ever want you to be. I love all of you, even your quirks.”

Jessica smiled in content.

 

In a way, YoonYul was right. The earlier events didn’t bring Jessica and Tiffany any closer, but it did make Jessica realize how strong of a bond they already had.

She realized it on April Fools’ Day.

Everybody plays the part of a fool sometimes.

Jessica was a different kind of fool, though… She was simply a fool in love. And she definitely doesn’t mind being one.

 

~+~

 

A/N: So that's that. If you're reading this author's note, then you read it all, right? Or you skipped it all? OTL

Anyway.. THANK YOU FOR READING!! Like it? Hate it? Drop me a comment. ^^

 

ugh. still can't sleep. -__-