Three (Jongin POV)

Because we're family
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

AN: Things are still going in order here and I think we'll keep going like that until baby seven makes their appearance. After that I might start flicking backwards and forwards a bit. So here we go....

Jongin was had been dreading going home all day. Which might sound like a selfish thing to say, his heavily pregnant husband had been looking after all six of their children alone while he’d been at work after all but his wanting to avoid the house for as long as possible wasn’t borne out of selfishness, he wanted to go home and was willing to help in any way he could, he honestly was, he just didn’t think the offer would be appreciated. His offers of help certainly hadn’t been appreciated that morning anyway. Kyungsoo had woken up in a horrible mood and everything Jongin had done or said in an attempt to make things better had been wrong. He’d cleared the table then rinsed the breakfast dishes and loaded the dishwasher but apparently he hadn’t rinsed them properly because before he could switch it on Kyungsoo was unloading them all and taking them back to the sink. After that he’d offered to help get the kids ready for school and been told not to bother because it would take him forever and he’d probably end up putting the wrong clothes on the wrong child. He’d even been scolded for tidying the shoes by the door because he’d put them in the wrong order. He was pretty sure they’d never had a filing system for the shoe rack before but he’d kept that thought to himself. Kyungsoo definitely hadn’t been in the mood to be argued with.

But to be fair Kyungsoo wanting to make the house neat and tidy and ridiculously clean was something Jongin had been expecting to happen sooner or later. Kyungsoo had been pregnant enough times for him to have noticed a pattern. A few weeks before his due date his normally neat and tidy husband became even more of a perfectionist, to the point where nothing anybody else did was right and since the change was obviously brought on by hormones or something Jongin couldn’t really be annoyed or offended when everything he did was suddenly sub-par.

And hey, maybe by the time he got home things would have calmed down a little. Maybe Kyungsoo would have things how he wanted them and he’d be a little happier.

 

~~~~~~ ~~~~~~

 

He’d only just stepped through the door and everything he’d seen so far was spotless. The laminate floor in the hallway was so clean in was shining, the mirror by the door which was usually covered in grubby handprints was gleaming, the shoes on the shoe rack were organised by type and then by size, the unidentifiable stain that had lived on the carpet at the bottom of the stairs for at least three months now was gone… not a single thing was out of place, it was like he’d walked into a show home.

And not only was it tidy but it was quiet too. Not so quiet as to be worrying but quiet enough to be surprising. He could hear the drone of the television from the living room and hushed voices but there was no screaming and there was no yelling, happy, distressed or otherwise. And when he pushed open the living room door he was met by more spotlessness. All things wooden had recently been polished and there wasn’t a single toy on the floor. “Wow.” He breathed. He couldn’t remember the last time the room had looked so tidy.

“Hi Daddy.” Joonmyun piped up and Jongin’s eyes were drawn to the couch where four of his six children were sitting. They were sitting side by side, oldest to youngest with Joonmyun on one end and Chanyeol on the other. Jongin hoped this was a coincidence because organising the shoes on the shoe rack by size was one thing but organising your children the same way was taking things a little far.

“Hi sweetheart.” Jongin answered, putting the thought to the back of his mind. “It looks like Mummy’s been busy.”

“He’s been cleaning all day.” Joonmyun confirmed with a nod.

“Yeah, and now we’re not allowed to move in case we mess things up.” Jongdae informed him with a frown. “He told us to sit here and watch tv instead.”

And that just proved that Kyungsoo was taking things to extremes because the boys usually had to beg and whine to get the tv . As far as their mother was concerned they didn’t need it, they had each other so in theory they should never be bored. With so many siblings there was no reason for them to be spending hours in front of cartoons when they had plenty of other things to do. Jongin being slightly more fond of cartoons than any adult had the right to be was a little more lenient but only when Kyungsoo wasn’t around so to see the boys being confined to the sofa and being forced to watch them was a little odd.

“I’m so bored.” Baekhyun groaned when Jongin didn’t reply.

“Me too.” Joonmyun agreed. “Can we do a puzzle or something? I don’t want to watch cartoons anymore.”

“Yeah, we promise we won’t make a mess.” Jongdae added.

The only child not expressing the same opinion was Chanyeol who appeared to be completely hypnotised by whatever cartoon it was they were watching. He hadn’t looked up once since Jongin had entered the room, his eyes had been glued to the screen the entire time.

“Yeah…” Jongin said slowly, slightly worried by the fact that cartoon robots had turned his two year old son into a zombie, “…I think turning the tv off sounds like a good idea. And doing a puzzle, that sounds like a lot of fun so Joonmyun, why don’t you go and find one? We can do it together.”

“Okay.” Joonmyun chirped happily, immediately jumping down from the couch and heading for the toy box.

“Oh, and where’s Minseok?” Jongin asked next. He was guessing Sehun was with Kyungsoo, Minseok he wasn’t so sure about. He was usually wherever the majority of siblings were keeping an eye on them so his absence was a little strange. The only reason he hadn’t questioned his whereabouts sooner was because out of his six children Minseok was the one who was least likely to be getting himself into trouble.

“He’s in the dining room.” Jongdae told him as he jumped down from his seat and made his way across the room to join Joonmyun. “He’s doing his homework I think.”

“No he’s not.” Baekhyun immediately argued. “He’s sulking.”

Jongdae shook his head. “He’s not sulking, he has his homework things out on the table.”

“Yeah, but he has his sulky face on.” Baekhyun countered, undeterred by the fact that his brother was talking to him like he was stupid.

“Minseok doesn’t sulk.” Joonmyun scoffed, agreeing with his twin.

“Yes he does!” Baekhyun exclaimed. “He sulked that time mum told him he couldn’t invite Luhan over to play in the garden because it was raining, remember?”

He had Jongin recalled, he’d spent all afternoon sulking in his bedroom. But knowing that taking sides in any argument between his children would only end badly, no matter how trivial the subject matter was he refrained from mentioning it. Instead he tried to change the subject. “Hey, Baekhyun,” he said before Jongdae or Joonmyun could argue back, “Why don’t you go and pick a puzzle too? Then Joonmyun and Jongdae can do theirs together and I can help you and Chanyeol?”

“Can we do the one with the horses and the knights?” Baekhyun asked, his eyes lighting up.

“Of course we can.” Jongin told him with a smile, finding his excitement at the thought of doing something as simple as a puzzle with him to be kind of cute. “So you go and find it while I go and find your brother. I want to talk to him about something then I’ll be back.” If Minseok really was sulking then he was curious to find out why. It wasn’t something his eldest son did very often so he couldn’t imagine what might have set him off.

 

~~~~~~ ~~~~~~

 

He wasn’t sure about sulking but Minseok definitely didn’t look happy. He was sitting at the dining table, his homework laid out in front of him and a frown on his face. When he heard his father approaching he looked up and offered him a smile but it was so obviously forced that Jongin would rather he hadn’t bothered.

“So, good day at school?” Jongin asked, not knowing quite where to start. He wanted to find out what was bothering him but he knew his son well enough to know that asking him outright would only make him clam up.

“It was okay.” Minseok said quietly. “We had a maths test this afternoon. I got nineteen out of twenty.”

“That’s really good...” Jongin said, he didn’t know why Minseok sounded so down about it, nineteen out of twenty was a pretty respectable score.

“It’s not that good. I could have done better.” Minseok told him, the frown coming back. “Luhan did better. He got twenty.”

“It was only one mark Minseok. I’m sure you’ll do better next time.” Jongin said hoping this was what his son wanted to hear. An unhappy Minseok wasn’t something he had to deal with very often so he felt a little out of his depth.

“That’s what my teacher said.” Minseok sighed, “But I probably won’t, I’ll probably do worse.”

Jongin sighed a sigh of his own and pulled out the chair opposite his son, taking a seat at the table. “You scored nineteen this time and that’s amazing. And your teacher’s always telling us how clever you are. So why would you do worse next time?”

“Because I can’t do anything right.” Minseok mumbled despondently.

“It was just one test.” Jongin pointed out. He really didn’t understand why Minseok was getting so worked up about it. He was eight years old, he shouldn’t be obsessing over test scores.

“It’s not just maths.” Minseok said, dropping his pencil and leaning back in his seat with a huff. “I’m rubbish at everything.”

Jongin was so thrown by the statement that “No you’re not” was all he could think of to say.

“Yes I am. Our team lost today at lunch because of me.” Minseok told him, eyes downcast. “I was in goal and I let the ball in twice.”

“And how many times did you stop the ball going into the net?” Jongin asked.

“A few times,” Minseok conceded with a shrug, “but that’s not the point. We still lost. We lost because I can’t do anything right.”

“You can do lots of things right.” Jongin argued. He didn’t like seeing Minseok looking so upset but he had no idea how to make him feel better.

“Mum doesn’t think so.” Minseok mumbled.

And that was it Jongin realised, that’s what had brought all this on. Kyungsoo had said something to Minseok that had hurt his feelings and he’d been so caught up in making the house look perfect and unlived in that he hadn’t noticed. “I’m sure that’s not true.” Jongin said in a bid to fix things. “I know how much he relies on you when I’m not around. You help him a lot.”

“But he’s remaking my bed Dad.” Minseok told him not sounding any happier. “I did it myself this morning

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter