"Stay with me, Don't leave me."

"Stay with me, Don't leave me."

Jessica was unsociable. To many, she seemed normal. Nothing extraordinary about her at all. She dropped out of college to support her younger sister in high school. At first, she had thought that undertaking two part time jobs would do enough. However, she had college to attend and her grandmother’s money is running out in an alarming speed. So she did what anyone would in her situation. She dropped out and took up a full time job in a rich person’s house. Her employer’s name is Taeyeon. Very pretty and a person of a few words. They first met at a clinic. Taeyeon was down with a flu so she had to drop by the clinic to get her medicines. Jessica was just there to find a job. While waiting at the hard, plastic chairs, Jessica can’t help but stare. Taeyeon first appeared to her as someone out of a magazine photo shoot. Excuse her small frame. Taeyeon had deep-set eyes that looked into your own. When they first caught glances at each other, Jessica allowed a drop of perspire to roll down her back. Taeyeon was intimidating. With that never leaving frown and upturned lips. Her white blouse was pressed and starched, matched with a pair of black pants and yellow sneakers. Taeyeon seemed stiff, even her hair moved only an inch when she turns.

 


All too soon, Jessica’s name got called. Her thoughts got interrupted, but not for long. Jessica realized she was a step away from the stiff lady.

 


“I’m sorry, the last position for a pharmacist has been taken.” The middle-aged lady behind the desk revealed with a hint of sympathy in her eyes.

 


“Are you serious?” Jessica could only ask even when she knew the answer.

 


The lady nodded.

 


“Are you looking for a full time job?”

 


“What?” Jessica turned to face the pasty faced lady.

 


The woman in the white blouse simply raised a brow. She was now facing Jessica, seeming to have taken interest in the jobless young lady.

 


“Well, yea, looking for any job that would pay me well.” Jessica answers.

 


“I pay well. I’m looking for an assistant, are you willing?”

 


It was then that Jessica unknowingly dedicated her whole life to Taeyeon Kim.

 

**


“Do you cook?”

 


“For my sister mostly.”

 


“Capable of doing house chores?”

 


“I do them everyday, with the help of my sister.”

 


“Uniforms or no uniforms?”

 


“No mini skirts please.”

 


Taeyeon had to chuckle.

 


“Okay, I’m kidding about uniforms but I would like you to come in a smart outfit. Preferably long-sleeved blouse and black pants.” Taeyeon stated. “And your sister is-”

 


“In high school, I’m sorry, Ms. Taeyeon, but I am unwilling to divulge any information about my family.” Jessica cuts her off swiftly, letting an air of tension settle between them but it was mostly due to Jessica’s nerves.

 


Taeyeon clears quietly.

 


“That’s fine with me.” Taeyeon taps her fingers on the table. “Can you drive?”

 


“Yes.” Jessica inwardly heaved a sigh of relief.

 


“Good, good.” A of her chin with her thumb and index finger. “I think that’s about it. You start tomorrow. I will pay you in cash.”

 


“Great.” Jessica smiled for the first time in a while.

 


**

 


Taeyeon is a woman of few words. She went to work and barely bat an eyelash at Jessica who diligently set her table with breakfast that varies everyday. That was okay for the newly hired assistant. A day after trying out her cooking, Taeyeon hired a cook. The cook was an old lady with downy skin and brown eyes. Jessica made fast friends with her and they talk every morning and evening when the old lady came over to prepare Taeyeon’s meals. There were days however, where Taeyeon stays out late after work to do her father’s biddings. They mostly consist of meetings with important clients in sketchy bars or simply parties within the companies. In which, Jessica is given half the day off and the cook won’t need to come. During those times, Jessica would stay home and continue her half written novel which she wishes to publish in the near future. For her, it seemed farfetched but her little sister was always her greatest supporter.

 


“Are you working this weekend?” Her younger sister asked one night when Jessica came home, shattered from daily chores in Taeyeon’s two-story house.

 


Thankfully, Jessica is not the only staff member in Taeyeon’s house.

 


“Unfortunately so.” Answered Jessica tiredly.

 


“Oh, okay then.”

 


Catching the dishearten tone in her sister’s voice, Jessica snapped her head towards her.

 


“Is there something?”

 


“I actually wanted to watch a movie with you but since you’re working-”

 


“I will ask.” Jessica interrupted. “I will ask Taeyeon to give me a day off.”

 


“You will?” The young girl brightened.

 


“For you, I would do anything.” Jessica smiled softly and her younger sister hugged her lovingly.

 


**

 


Taeyeon never took her eyes off the newspaper when Jessica asked. Albeit too softly.

 


“Just a day?” Taeyeon raised her brow in question.

 


“Just a day.” Jessica confirmed.

 


“Don’t mind me asking, but why?”

 


“I’m bringing my sister to the movies.”

 


“Oh.” Taeyeon finally looked up to meet her eyes. “Sorry for asking.”

 


“It’s okay. So, uh…”

 


“You may have the day off but just one last question.”

 


“What is it?” Jessica suppressed a smile.

 


“Do you have a car?”

 


“No?”

 


“Allow me to drive you two there.” Taeyeon offered. “And no discussions allowed.” Jessica shut her lips.

 


When Taeyeon saw the questioning eyes of her assistant, she smiled softly.

 


“I just want to repay you the favor, you may be my driver but it’s time I do my part for my assistant.”

 


Jessica murmurs a ‘thank you’ and asked no more, only to reveal her apartment address and what time the movie was showing. For the rest of the day, she went about tending to the backyard and the house. Taeyeon only called her into her study room to ask for a cup of tea. Questions, questions, questions filled Jessica’s mind throughout the day. However, she missed the part when Taeyeon rushed to cover her drawing when Jessica entered the room to serve her tea.

 


**

 


“Taeyeon is so pretty.”

 


“Indeed.”

 


“You should ask her out.”

 


“Hmm… wait, what?” Jessica swung her head around to find her sister’s grinning face. “Oh, you.” She chides and took her hand.

 


A tap on her shoulder made her turn and there stood Taeyeon, breathing heavily through .

 


“Um, just wanted to ask if you need a ride back home later.” Taeyeon asked breathlessly.

 


“I, uh-”

 


“We would love to.”

 


“Krystal!” Jessica exclaimed.

 


“Why? I don’t want to walk back home in the middle of the night.” Krystal reasons.

 


“It’s safer.” Taeyeon adds, joined in by Krystal’s vigorous nodding.

 


“Well, okay… but are you going to wait for us?” Jessica hesitated a little.

 


“I will just be at the café there.” Taeyeon pointed behind her with a thumb. “Just ring me up when you’re done.”

 


Jessica nodded and with an awkward look, she turned swiftly and walked ahead. Krystal hums a tune.

 


“I’m actually serious about it.” Krystal says suddenly as they showed their tickets to the man behind the desk.

 


“About what?”

 


“About you asking her out.”

 


“Krystal, I’m merely someone she sees as an acquaintance, we barely know each other and I don’t even know what her occupation is or how old she is.”

 


“Then get to know her.” Krystal softened her voice as they sat down in the cinema. “I have never seen an employer willing to go that far for an employee.”

 


Jessica said nothing in return. The movie has already started and the topic was never brought up again until a few years later.

 


**

 


“Gosh, I despise my mother sometimes.” Taeyeon grumbled as she pulled her socks off.

 


Jessica followed behind, ready to take them when Taeyeon passes them to her.

 


“Why won’t you tell her that you’re not willing then?” Jessica offered.

 


“I would but she would blow my ears off with her lectures.” Taeyeon picked a random book from the shelf.

 


Jessica went about hanging Taeyeon’s winter coat while Taeyeon made herself comfortable on her bed. Jessica left the room for a while, coming back with a cup of warm tea.

 


“But don’t you love her?” Jessica asked.

 


“Hmm, I love her in a different kind of way.” Taeyeon answered with nonchalance.

 


They were talking about Tiffany. Taeyeon’s supposed wife. To Jessica, Tiffany was an epitome of danger. Glaring red locks and stunning eyes, complete with killer hips and luscious lips. Jessica wondered what is there not to love about her. When she first step through the doors of Taeyeon’s house, Jessica could never take her eyes off her. Tiffany never cast her a glance, she had walked in and asked for Taeyeon, in which one of the staff members led her to Taeyeon’s study. Jessica served them coffee, something Taeyeon disliked but she drank anyway, in the presence of Tiffany who smoked. They talk to each other in low voices when Jessica served them. Jessica knew it was rude to eavesdrop but she had caught words of ‘marriage’ and ‘happiness’. It did not take her long to know what they were discussing about. A few days after that discussion, Tiffany came by often and she did not need the help of finding her way to Taeyeon’s study anymore. However, one day, much to Jessica’s pleasure, Tiffany talked to her for the first time.

 


“Taeyeon told me you write.” Tiffany states, taking a drag from her cigarette.

 


“Yes, I do.” Jessica answered politely, poured her a cup of coffee, as ordered by Taeyeon over the phone.

 


Taeyeon won’t be home till an hour later and Tiffany was willing to wait.

 


“We are about to have a child.” Tiffany mindlessly said. “How nice, huh?”

 


“Very nice indeed.” Jessica answered only when she needed to. “When kids smile, they brighten up the world. Until they pull at your hair and demand, that’s when they are trouble. Little devils they are.”

 


Tiffany chuckled pleasingly. “Indeed.” She says. “I told Taeyeon I’m not good with children, Taeyeon was okay with it but then her mother insisted, so now we have to adopt.”

 


Jessica said nothing in return.

 


“Read me one of your stories.” Tiffany requested suddenly.

 


Flustered, Jessica cleared . “They are nothing but teenage love stories.”

 


“I like teenage love stories, just read me one. Please?”

 


For the first time in her life, Jessica agreed to Tiffany’s pleading eyes and pout. The only other person she ever agreed to do anything for was for her sister. That’s when Jessica knew she was in too deep. So she read one of her stories, blushing throughout and only stopping when she came to the part she was embarrassed of.

 


“I can’t read anymore.” Jessica inhaled deeply.

 


“Why?” Tiffany’s eyes twinkled with mischief.

 


“Because…” Jessica stopped, not knowing how to weave her words.

 


“Let me read it then.” Tiffany held out her hand, gone were her cigarette stick when Jessica started reading her story.

 


Jessica was hesitant as she gave her worn out journal. Tiffany read silently, eyes dragging over each word. Finally, she passed the journal back to Jessica and her glaring smile was the only thing visible in Jessica’s head when she went home that day.

 


**

 


The marriage was nothing to talk about. The witness and a few family members came over. They shared vows and that was it. A ring each and they are married. Just like that. Tiffany moved in on the day itself. She slept with Taeyeon in her room and for the days that followed, Jessica knew they were not happy. Not until the kid came in and their attention on their unhappiness has been diverted by the young girl. Even so, Jessica found herself being the parent of the girl instead of Taeyeon. Taeyeon was always out, working till the next morning. It gave Tiffany and herself more time to spend with each other. Jessica felt sorry because with each passing day, she was falling for the epitome of danger, that is Tiffany.

 


“I love her.” Tiffany said one day, out of the blue as they sat side by side, teaching the young girl how to read.

 


Jessica had thought she was referring to her daughter. But then Tiffany looked forlornly at a photo frame placed on her daughter’s desk and Jessica was heartbroken.

 


“You do.” Jessica murmured.

 


The young girl was now reading by herself and even though her voice was loud, they all became a hushed whisper when Tiffany talk.

 


“But she rarely comes home these days and the last time she ever touched me like I was the only person in the world was  that day we got married. But even so, I felt like I lost her at that point.”

 


“I’m sorry.” Jessica whispers and then Tiffany started crying.

 


It was quiet at first but then Tiffany started sobbing hard, alarming both Jessica and her daughter.

 


“I can’t do it anymore.” Was the last thing Tiffany said before Jessica allowed herself to hug her love.

 


Even then, Jessica knew she was nothing more than an assistant Taeyeon hired a few years ago. While she hugged Tiffany, she patted the little girls’ head who was now crying alongside her mother.

 


**

 


There was no screaming or shouting behind the door. Except the daughter’s shrill cries when she hugged Taeyeon one last time at the front door. The agreement was mutual. Jessica watched with a heavy heart as Tiffany hugged her wife and foolishly smiled when Tiffany faced her.

 


“I will miss you.” Says Tiffany before hugging Jessica for the last time. “I will write to you. I promise.”

 


“Okay.” It was all Jessica could say, she was trying hard to hold back her tears.

 


“Also,” Tiffany whispered, heated breath washing over Jessica’s pink cheek, “It has always been you.”

 


Taeyeon watched them. Dry eyed and expressionless. It was hard to decipher her feelings then. Their plan was to part and say nothing about it to their parents. They are technically married but their hearts are not in there anymore. Tiffany and her daughter finally left, leaving Jessica and Taeyeon standing at the door, side by side. Jessica looked up and Taeyeon turned back into the house.

 


“You can cry, Jessica. Stop being strong.”

 


And so Jessica wailed. With her head down, Taeyeon was pained by the fact that she was unable to comfort her.

 


**

 


Dear Tiffany,

 


I’m so pleased to hear that you’re living well with your daughter and grandfather. I am even more pleased by the fact that you’re helping the people in need. Capetown is a beautiful place, I have researched on it. I envy your choice of living. Taeyeon is still well but she has quit her last job and is now a photographer. She has turned her house into a studio and everyday, I get to meet different kinds of people. I have gained more friends thanks to Taeyeon’s change of occupation.

 


Also, I have finally understood your statement. You left me with these words, “It has always been you.” I see it now. I understood after I was cleaning out Taeyeon’s closet. The third drawer was where she kept all her drawings, she should have kept it somewhere else but it’s too late now. They were of me going about my daily chores. To be surprised is an understatement, I never expected it, in all honesty.

 


On that day, I did not know what to do. Taeyeon was out late, thankfully and I had been indulging on her tea bags while I thought deeply. I did not know how to act around her then. I left her house before she could return. I talked to my sister and I was left a million and one question. I had no idea how I felt about Taeyeon, only that I knew I could never leave her side.

 


We were growing older as each day passes and I notice with an unsettling feeling that Taeyeon depended on me more and more. I could not leave her side, I just could not. I finally hear the unsaid every single time I looked into Taeyeon’s eyes. I see her unseen smile when I serve her breakfast, lunch and dinner. She’s a quiet woman who spends most of her time by herself but her actions were as loud as the songs she plays when she works.

 


One day, Taeyeon asked me as we sat at her veranda, drinking tea and just talking about nothing and everything. Believe it or not, after years of not speaking to her, we were finally considered as what most people will call, ‘friends’. When you left, we talked more and I find myself being an advisor instead of an assistant. Anyway, she asked me to get married soon. She claims that she could see my graying hair.

 


And so, I ask her in return why she won’t fly to Capetown and reunite with you. She laughed. She said she’s a year older than me and I should obey her. I laughed and called her a jokester. Eventually, she stared at me. Eyes hard and screaming with words I already knew. She loves me, that much I know.

 


“If you’re not going to marry,” She says, “Then promise me one thing.”

 


I said I would promise whatever. And so she requested and I kept the promise till this day. I’m not saying I have no thoughts about marriage, but when I think about it, I think about how I already had everything. A house, someone to love and to come home to. Taeyeon is my everything and it took me so many years to finally realize that.

 


Anyway, send my regards to your grandfather and tell your little girl I miss her. When Taeyeon is able to find time, I will drag her to Capetown to visit you. Please get a bed ready for us.

 


Sincerely, Jessica

 

 

A/N: If you're curious as to what Taeyeon had requested of Jessica, read the title again :)