Vows

SCANDAL
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

~*~

 

Every hair in my body froze. Every nerve in my system threatened to shut down. Every muscle in my body was almost failing me. Thousands of eyes were literally staring at me live, and I could assume that there were millions more from around the world that were watching me from their digital devices.

 

Because today, I walked down the aisle on a Vera Wang veiled wedding gown, clutching a bouquet of purple and yellow flowers, held by my brother and father on each side, aiming to reach the groom who was wearing a white Yves Saint Laurent white suite. The whole garden was watching me walk, because today, Kim Taeyeon was marrying Kwon Jiyong, three months pregnant.

 

As I passed by the biggest celebrities from Asia, with the special mention of Pharrell and Justin Bieber, I became more nervous to reach that Asian popstar on the other end of the aisle. But he never showed any trace of nervousness. In fact, he seemed calm. Happy, even. He was smiling, projecting, acting so well, that one one could have told that everything was just a show. Our friends, our fans, the public, they all thought this was a fairy tale coming true. Though our families knew we weren't in love, I knew that they were deluded to think that we will fall in love. Only Jiyong and I knew of the truth. This was not a marriage of love or companionship. This was a marriage to cover up the biggest scandal in the South Korean entertainment industry.

 

When we've reached the aisle, Jiyong bowed to my father and brother, and then he kissed my cheeks. By now, I had become numbed and unconscious of the close to 1000 people inside the garden. All I was aware of was the coming show -- the fake vows -- the exchange of rings -- the signing of the contract -- and the declaration and kiss. I became so worked up, uncomfortable, anxious, as I wanted it all to end. I didn't even realize that the first half was over, until I saw Jiyong being handed the ring by his best man Dong Youngbae. Was it time for the vows already? Thank God. Time flew by so quickly.

 

But time only made me more nervous, because I was afraid to say any of my vows. I have prepared one that was filled with lies and bull. The challenge was to say the lie in front of the whole world. I dreaded the lies from Jiyong's vows. He was being such an expert in the staging of this wedding, from the way he held me, or kissed me, or looked at me. His vows were no exception, because he would say them so sincerely, so believably, so convincingly.

 

We faced each other, and he took my two hands with his own two hands, so that we were holding one another. That face, it wasn't the face of someone hurting, or being forced. It was the face like that of any husband happy to marry the love of his life in front of everyone. Jiyong was selling this wedding, and he was doing it so well.

 

"Kim Taeyeon, in front of our families and friends, I vow to protect you, to support you, to care for you, to carry you, to provide for you. I vow to give you all the good things in life, to make this married life comfortable for you, to assist you in every way possible."

 

"In this marriage, I'll help you walk, reach forward, aim higher, so that you can stand on your two feet. If you find yourself scared, or weakening, I'll be there to catch you. You have nothing to fear, because I'll always be here. I vow to be your best friend, because best friends make the best parents, and we'd be the best parents, Taeyeon. And even in front of God..."

 

Oh God. Don't make a promise to Him. Don't use His name in this show. But Jiyong just tightened his grip on my palms. He was so engrossed in that vow, so unbelievably sincere, that I found myself convinced of all the promises he made. I just wished he didn't mention God.

 

"...I promise to be a great father to our child. I will love her, protect her, provide for her, treasure her, with all my heart, with all my life, with all of me. I vow to Him, and to you, that our child will be my number one priority, over myself, over my work, over anyone else. She will be my everything, and it's for her that I'd do anything and everything."

 

Soon, I heard the sniffs of all the ladies in the first two rows in front -- the Kim and Kwon ladies, my seven bridesmaids, my two maids of honors -- every single one of them were tearing up because of Kwon Jiyong's vows. He had such power to move with his words. So even if I was a part of this act, I didn't have to pretend that I was touched. I was really touched. I was very moved. Then, Jiyong let go of my hands to take the ring that was being held up by Youngbae. He took my left hand and began to put a 5-carat platinum gold diamond-encrusted ring on my finger, the symbol of our lie.

 

"For richer or for poorer, in sickness or in health, in happiness or sadness, until death... I'll always be your best friend."

 

Now the ring was secured on my finger, and so our mothers lost it. They both broke down in noisy tears. The people even clapped so heartily after Jiyong's vows. But I noticed that those who cheered were mainly my friends, and not his. In fact, it was only now when I realized that none of his groomsmen, or the three rows around Mizuhara Kiko, were smiling even the slightest. But there was no time to dwell on them, because now, it was my turn to say my vows.

 

Oh shoot. Those vows were perfectly executed. He didn't even lie. He did not speak one vow that he couldn't fulfill, even if we were just pretending to be a happy couple. Jiyong basically vowed to take responsibility of me and my child, and that was something I had no doubt he could do. How did he manage to exclude romance in his wedding vows without appearing like he did? Now I felt even more pressured to say mine. He nodded at me with encouragement, and I pushed myself to be as eloquent as he was. Kwon Jiyong was always so good in expressing himself. Something I never was. But I shall try, because the whole world was watching.

 

Jiyong held my two hands again, and then I saw Tiffany approach me to hold up the ring.

 

"Kwon Jiyong, in front of our family and friends, I vow to..."

 

My heart was racing so fast, and I got scared that I would slur my words. Now the fake vows I have memorized just ran out of my consciousness so that I was forced to be spontaneous. God help me.

 

"...hold you accountable for all your vows," I muttered nervously. The crowd laughed at me, and this encouraged me. I chuckled awkwardly, using humor to aid my fear. "So fulfill all your promises to me, okay?"

 

Jiyong nodded and laughed too, but as I gazed at the crowd, my eyes fell on her. The only one who wasn't laughing. The same one who just kneeled in front of me earlier. The very person who begged of me to give back my "something borrowed." I lost the will to laugh and joke about this exchange of rings. I looked back at Jiyong, and became much more serious.

 

"People often told me you were a great man -- kind, decent, responsible, loving, caring. I didn't believe them at first. I mean, he doesn't look nice and kind, does he?" I asked the crowd, and playfully, they answered me with another cheerful agreement in chorus. "But over time, I realized something about you, Kwon Jiyong."

 

That's when I found my golden tongue. It was hard to believe that just a few days ago, I always picked a fight with him, that I hated his every guts. Because now, I was once again in complete awe of him. To witness Mizuhara Kiko's humility and tears proved to me one thing -- that Jiyong must be such a great man for a woman to kneel on the ground like that for him.

 

"When I found out I was pregnant, I felt scared. I thought my life was over. I feared for my career, my fans, my members. But when I talked to you, when I told you, all those fears disappeared. You said you've been dreaming of this child for so long. You jumped with joy when you heard her heartbeat for the first time. And I see just how you are desperately working to secure her future. You once told me that I could doubt everything about you, but never your love for this child. For now, I want you to know that I would never question your love for her. You're indeed great. You're truly kind. You're very responsible. I'm thankful that that kind of man would be the father of my child."

 

I felt him squeeze my hand, and the smile on his face faded. Instead, he looked at me so intensely, so sincerely, that I felt like he was absorbing every single word I spoke. His forehead also crooked a little.

 

"You asked me to give you God's greatest gift. I vow to deliver her in good health, to love her and care for her as much as you do. I vow to be a good mother to her, as you are a good father. We'll be the best parents, if it's the only good thing we could ever do in this life."

 

As if Jiyong's vows weren't enough, our parents have now embraced each other's spouses to cry harder. Kwon Dami, Kim Hayeon, and Kim Jiwoong were all very tearful. And my best friends, my eight beautiful and kind members, were silently tearing and smiling as well.

 

"There was someone who told me that amidst all your flaws, your mistakes, your shortcomings, you were still the kindest, most decent, and greatest man this person has ever met. I know some of your flaws, Jiyong. We may not have known each other for years. But my time with you has proven to me what evil and ugliness you hold. You're very flawed, so if this person still believed you were the greatest man even with all that's happening, it must be true. I couldn't object to that anymore. With all my heart, I choose to agree. And it's for that fact that I want to make another promise..."

 

I sighed so deeply first and bowed a little, carefully choosing my words. I looked up and met his gazes once more, now smiling.

 

"Kwon Jiyong, you shall only live forever with the one you love. I vow to make it less difficult for you, to make it less painful, to make the burden lighter. In this marriage, I vow to help you get your happy ending. You will have a happy ending, Kwon Jiyong. Because I'll bring you home."

 

Now it was my turn to tighten my hold on his hands. I filled my voice with all the convictions I could muster as I declared my one greatest vow in this marriage.

 

"I promise to bring you home, to give you a happy ending, to give you true love."

 

I let go of his hands, and took the ring from Tiffany. I grabbed Jiyong's left hand and slowly slid the ring on his finger.

 

"For richer or for poorer, in sickness or in health, in happiness or sadness, until death... I'll also be your best friend."

 

Right after my last word, the crowd clapped their hands so vigorously that their cheers filled the entire garden. Even Jiyong was smiling so widely. After all, I just assured him that he would eventually be brought back to Mizuhara Kiko. Looking at Kiko, she smiled for the first time today, because I just answered her request of me.

 

On my wedding day, I just made a vow to bring my husband back to his one true love.

 

~*~

 

G-DRAGON AND TAEYEON'S WEDDING VOWS CAPTURE THE PUBLIC'S HEART

1. [+193,792 / -1,369] Jiyong's was romantic as . Taeyeon's was honest and funny as . Those vows were very refreshing, not your average cheesy and cliche ones.

2. [+175,792 / -2,369] Something seems off about their vows. They love their child so much... but don't they love each other?

3. [+167,792 / -3,369] People are reading too much into it. It's not a Shakesperean play, jeez! Clearly, the vows were made by two best friends, and that's precisely why their vows were unique and heart-wrenching. What part of "I'll be your best friend until death" do not scream LOVE to you?

4. [+152,792 / -1,669] No "I love you?" Fishy.

 

~*~

 

"Kwon Jiyong, Kim Taeyeon, with the power vested in me by the Republic of Korea..."

 

My heart was getting the better of me. I could hear it racing with my breath, and I was scared that nausea would overpower me. The kiss... the wedding kiss... it was fast approaching. To be honest, the wedding kiss was the one part I dreaded the most.

 

"...I now pronounce you, Man and Wife!"

 

Clap! Clap! Clap! Our guests all stood up to clap and cheer for us, and yet the collective clapping of our one thousand guests still couldn't overpower the loud beating of my chest. I was having a panic attack!

 

Just as I was managing my nervous system, Judge Jang Kiseok announced, "Mr. Kwon, you may now kiss the Mrs."

 

This is it. . Oh God. Calm down, Taeyeon. Calm the down. Even when I wasn't angry and just plain nervous, I still cussed out like crazy. What has hormones done to my once clean mouth? Jiyong and I slowly faced each other, and I saw on his face a genuine laugh of happiness. His best men and groomsmen were childishly teasing him from his back. I also heard the Soshi members shouting their teases from behind me.

 

"What are you waiting for?"

 

"Kiss her now!"

 

"Abuse those lips bro!"

 

"Kiiiiiiiiiiss!"

 

Jiyong slowly lifted my veil and put it behind my head. I only became softer and weaker. Remember my request, Kwon Jiyong. Just a peck. Just a freaking--

 

But before I could even finish my self-dialogue, everything as I knew it disintegrated before my eyes. Because the very next second, I felt myself free falling. I was about to scream from shock, because I lost control of my body, and I would soon surrender to gravity. Turned out Kwon Jiyong knocked me of my feet, only to catch me as I fell. He leaned forward, catching my back, and then ownied my lips before I could even scream out.

 

"Whooooooooooo!"

 

"Nice one dude!"

 

"Aaaaaaaawwwwwww!"

 

"How sweet!"

 

Clap! Clap! Clap!

 

The world's noisy chattering, endless taunts, and cheers eventually faded, because Jiyong once more owned my mouth like it was meant to shut me off from the world. I only heard silence along with my heart, only felt his lips move with mine, and only smelled him, Jiyong's scent, at that very moment in time. How did he do that? How could his commanding kiss manage to make everything else disappear?

 

Five seconds. Ten seconds. Fifteen seconds. We kissed for so long, and it was definitely NOT just a peck. He was working his lips so that he was coating my whole mouth. Without letting go of my lips, he also managed to bring our bodies upright until we were standing up again. And amidst being stood straight, he moved his mouth and tilted his head so that I felt my mouth tasting and swallowing his sweet essence.

 

HOLY ING BASTARD SON OF A !

 

When it ended, I was left awestruck and breathless, while Jiyong faced the energized crowd. I held on my chest, and felt his hands still owning my waist and back. To him, it seemed like a meaningless game. But to me, it took all ounce of my effort to manage myself in front of the 1000 guests. I was doing a bad job doing so, because I blushed profusely. The crowd noticed and teased me for it, and Jiyong even wiped my lips so "lovingly."

 

~*~

 

G-DRAGON AND TAEYEON'S WEDDING KISS SPAWNS PARODIES WORLDWIDE

1. [+173,792 / -2,369] Taeyeon was truly swept off her feet, you could tell.

2. [+167,792 / -1,369] Aaaaaaaaaahhh I want to be kissed like that.

3. [+152,792 / -5,369] When GD does it, it's cool and suave, and women wear their heart on their heels. When I did it, my GF just slapped me. Life is unfair.

4. [+149,792 / -2,369] Vine's filled with funny parodies. Lol.

 

~*~

 

"Is everyone having fun?" Big Bang's Lee Seungri's voice boomed over the Lotte Grand Ballroom. "Is there anyone else's who's not drunk? Stay with us, okay? The party has just started."

 

He hosted the party's program with Choi Sooyoung and Hwang Miyoung, and all night, the three's banters and hosting skills provided endless laughters to all the guests. Seungri and Sooyoung narrated an embarrassing video presentation of Jiyong's and my's childhood. Tiffany led a game of "How Much Do You Know the Bride and the Groom?" with questions about us, and grand prizes from the brands we endorsed were given away. Kiko even won a Samsung tablet as she was the only one able to answer what Jiyong's favorite kind of sushi was. But thankfully, Choi Siwon also won a LG flatscreen TV  for being the only one who knew my favorite kind of smoothie.

 

"Here to give us the first toast of the night," Seungri began the second part of the program -- the speeches. "...please welcome, Mrs. Stephanie Horvejkul! She's the next to to get married, ladies and gentlemen."

 

Like the rest of my members, my mouth dropped too with Seungri's joke. Both Nichkhun and Fany's faces heated up, yet the three tables of JYP Nation just taunted and mocked the two. Taecyeon even patted Khun's back with congratulations.

 

"Do you really want to die?" Sooyoung threatened Seungri jokingly. All night, close friends Seungri and Sooyoung's comfortable treatment of each other made them such effective hosts.

 

"I apologize for what I said," Seungri said while bowing. "I meant to say Tiffany noona has to wait, because Sooyoung will get married next. It's Marriage's Generation, isn't it?"

 

With that, Sooyoung and Tiffany slapped the back of Seungri's head together.

 

"That's it, you're not allowed to dance with any of the SNSD members tonight, single or taken," Tiffany warned him.

 

"WAAAEEEEE?!" Seungri cried out dramatically. "Arasseo, arasseo. I'll be more careful now. Let's just give it up for the very beautiful Maid of Honor, Tiffanyyyyyyyyy..."

 

"...HORVEJKUL!"

 

The audience laughed, and we all clapped for Hwang Miyoung. She began to reveal some embarrassing facts about Seungri, warmed up on her toast, and then, she began her speech. She started with our childhood together, a little bit of my first boy

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter