Prologue

The Light in the Dark
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
The Light in the Dark Prologue

The morning was rather bright, shining through the clouds and leaving everything illuminated with bright light. The winds blew softly caressing the trees making their leaves flutter below dancing gracefully as the fell down to the soft green that was the grass. The birds were out and about already searching for their meals and just chirping with glee at the sight of a new and bright early morning. There were many people walking about many trying to head to their designated work locations but most were students, rushing through the pedestrians on their way for the first day back from summer vacation hoping to rejoice in the fact that they’ll be meeting with their friends who they haven’t seen in long time.

There was a figure leaning against the wall of a back ally, hidden from any sunlight and out of sight from the many people who were in a rush. The wind however was still present as it blew by carrying  the smoke emitting from the cigarette in the persons hand, a small drag was taken in before being  release once again for the smoke to be carried out before the figure dropped the cigarette to the floor and stepping on it. The hand that was holding the cigarette flew to her pant pocket pulling out what seems to be a mint before popping it into and pushing off the wall before heading out and into the sunlight. She grimaced upon getting out as the sun hit her square in the face, she looked away,  rubbing her eyes softly and trying to avoid looking at anybody else around her. It was way to early for her and she was ultimately tired, having laid awake all night contemplating whether to show up the next day or just skip and go somewhere more fun. Although she could do just that, she had rather decided to show up the first day and then start skipping later or else her aunt would start suspecting.

Her aunt didn’t know about the many times she had skipped before, often being gone as to a full week or two but she was never found out. Her aunt didn’t seem to pay any attention to them - much less care about what she does and that sickened her, she hated it. No harm was ever done really, she already knew all there was to know about her final year or high school and her dear aunt knew that as well but for some reason or another she had insisted that she still take the classes and how she regrets ever complying to her aunts wishes - why should she.

What used to be nights of staying out late doing whatever  the hell she’d like were replaced with days inside the house all alone with nothing but her computer to entertain her and to be honest it was not fulfilling its job. The only thing that had kept her sane during the last month of summer vacation was the nicotine running through her system, it was her only escape from everything wrong in her world and it provided a sense of calm that she wishes to have. She knew it was wrong but unfortunately everybody gets addicted to something that takes away the pain… if only for a little while before the dark thought and rage settled back to create an endless cycle of depression and regret. But what can you do.

She arrived at the gates rather quickly that not even she had noticed that she had arrived until almost tumbling down to the ground in a distracted heap had it not been the wall next to her that is. Everyone stared at her and she could read their thoughts clearly from the disgusted and flabbergasted expressions on their faces. The first day back and she was already causing trouble… what’s to become of her in the near future. She ignore them however and simply walked by them, not even caring what they thought of her - she was used to it anyway not that she wanted to be… but she was.

She walked through the halls not paying attention to her surroundings, not noticing the fact that throughout summer vacation they had repainted the walls in a light grey nor the fact that they had added a whole new set of lockers where a bare wall used to be… not that she even cared. School was school after all, simply a place to spent mornings ‘learning’ instead of sleeping soundly in her bed with her covers providing a shield from incoming attacks.

There were students already chatting loudly with their friends. Too loud. She walked past the and shot them a glare, not that they noticed but she did. It was too early and too bright and just plain stupid. She doesn’t even know how she had managed to make it this far into the year, all she knew was that things changed a while ago and so did she - maybe not a good change but it was expected after all she had experienced a few years back. She was alone and more often than not she liked it but this feeling - the feeling of dread and regret and just melancholy that surrounded her whenever she was alone was something unwelcome - unwanted but she doesn’t know how to cope with that pain. And she thinks that she never will be able to… no matter how much she did.

It was still a bit too early for classes to start and she hadn’t even spotted any of her friends around campus so naturally after setting her things away in her assigned locker, she headed straight for the back of the school where a huge tree stood in the middle of an unattended garden where she had spent and still spend her time. 

It was going to be a long day and she wasn’t really ready for a new school year, for a new year where she’d have to spend listening to the teachers rambling on about subjects they claim they knew but clearly did not, for a new set of transfer students that would love to befriend her but unfortunately for them, could never get close. She wasn’t ready for another year in which she has to cope with the feeling of remorse or feeling guilty for the things she’d done - for an endless cycle of disappointments. For life - she wasn’t ready for life.


-

“Oh my god! Trust me… everybody’ll love you.”

Almost all the students that were lounging around the parking lot turned to face the two girls walking in the direction of the school’s front door, clearly surprised and taken back by the sight in front of them - of a new student who they hadn’t seen at all, most of the guys stood gawking at her meanwhile their respectful partners ignored the girl, rolling their eyes in envy. 

 A new girl for the guys to chase after. They all knew the drill, they all knew that whenever a new student arrived it was an opportunity to actually be with someone that wasn’t taken already. And with this girl, they knew they didn’t stand a chance… she was too stunningly beautiful, there was no way that a girl like that would be single.

The girl gave each and every person she passed a polite smile and a curt nod before looking over to her friend, tucking a stray piece of her dark ebony hair behind her ear, “Are you sure?”

Her companion, a short yet pretty girl with big brown eyes smile

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter