Chapter 5

Shadows of the Dark

 

Hyunseung was brought to the infirmary by Zico. He wanted to bring him home, but was not allowed as he was caught by the senior discipline master as he was not a student of the school. Hyunseung was then left alone on the infirmary bed to rest. The infirmary nurse checked on him and assured Zico that he was all right and he just needs a rest as he fainted due to over exhaustion.
 
Junhyung staggered his way to the infirmary to check on his chin. It felt like his jaw just dislocated from the impact of Zico’s punch. Junhyung held his jaw, winching in pain as he pushed open the infirmary door. He wanted to call out for help to the nurse but the pain didn’t allow him to. He walked towards her and tapped her lightly on the shoulder. The nurse turned and jumped up from her seat when she saw blood flowing out of Junhyung’s cut lips, pooling on his hand that was used to cup his jaw and dripped down from his palm to his elbow and onto the ground.
 
“Omo! What happened?!”
 
She quickly ushered Junhyung to the bed next to Hyunseung. He was staring at the unconscious boy so intensely that he didn’t heart what the nurse say.
 
“Uh...sorry, w-what?”
 
“I said who did this to you? You are lucky your jaw did not dislocate, just swollen from the impact and the cuts on your lips are deep.”
 
Nurse-ssi said as she examined the wounds. Junhyung pondered before replying, “Ani, I fell down from the stairs because I didn’t notice I missed a step.”
 
As stupid as it sounds, Nurse-ssi just chose to shrug the reason off and applied medication on his lips. He hissed in pain when the medicine came in contact with his wound. After applying the medicine, she passed him an ice pack to press it against his jaw. She excused herself from the room as she received a phone call and told Junhyung to inform her if Hyunseung wakes up. She drew back the curtains that were surrounding the beds and excused her presence.
 
Junhyung sat on the chair at the side of Hyunseung’s bed and stared at the sleeping boy. He reached his hand out and hesitated on whether he should do it or not. Pushing away the thoughts, Junhyung lightly brushed the back of his hand against Hyunseung’s cheeks.
 
---Flashback (Junhyung’s memories of the past)---
 
Junhyung had heard about a person named Seung from his adopted brother, Yongguk. He and Yongguk are really close since the moment Yongguk was adopted. Yongguk’s parents died in an accident. Being great friends with his parents, Junhyung’s parents adopted the poor orphan. The two brothers are close to each other as Junhyung’s parents are always busy with work. They would take care of each other in place of their parents and learnt to be independent since young. It was when Junhyung was sent to a Japan boarding school by the parents that the two brothers started to drift apart due to the different countries.
 
“How’s your first day of high school?”
 
Junhyung sat on the sofa of his dorm while having an overseas call with Yongguk. Yongguk was lying on his bed as he talked on the phone.
 
“It’s super cool, hyung! I made friends with these four dudes and we went auditioning for the dance club. Gosh, they really can dance hyung! I bet they are even better than you!”
 
Junhyung chuckled at his excited dongsaeng. It was rare to see yongguk in such high moods, and Junhyung was glad that Yongguk was having a fun time in high school.
 
“Whoa, I’m sure they are a few levels better than you then.” Junhyung teased.
 
“I will work harder and surpass them!”
 
Junhyung could hear the pout in his voice. Suddenly, Yongguk could hear moans over the line.
 
“Omo hyung! You are watching ?! Omo omo omo, that’s a first!”
 
Junhyung rolled his eyes, “Seung-ah, could you lower down the volume? I’m talking to my dongsaeng here.”
 
“Oh, mianhae~!”
 
Seungho saluated an apology and lower down the volume while Junhyung walked into his room.
 
“Sad to disappoint you, but it was my dorm mate and not me.”
 
Yongguk laughed over the phone, “I thought for once you finally had dirty thoughts. Oh hyung, it’s such a coincidence, one of the dancers I made friend with today has the name Seung too. He is the best dancer within all five of us.”
 
Junhyung perked up when he heard his dongsaeng pin-pointing a single male from the group.
 
“That was fast, a new crush already?”
 
Yongguk shrugged, although Junhyung couldn’t see it, “I don’t know yet. But he seems a little quiet and mysterious. I was trying to make friend with him and speak to him more, but he only talks to his kitten mate.”
 
“Kitten mate…?” Junhyung sounded bewildered.
 
“Well…The both of them really resemble kittens. Like…Seung is a pretty, mysterious and hard to approach kind of kitten, that only mix around with mates that he is close to. And Kwon’s like a happy, jumpy and cheerful kitten which is sociable to everyone.”
 
“Whoa…you changed your taste, huh? He sounds a little different from your usual cheerful taste.”
 
Junhyung lay down on his bed as he turned off the lights.
 
“Nah, just his appearance attracted me. I don’t think it will be more than that.”
 
“Oh really…” Junhyung sounded sleepy.
 
“Hyung, I guess I should let yo go to rest now. Composed the whole day?”
 
Yongguk’s tone was dripping with worries for his hyung’s health. Junhyung shifted in his bed so that he was lying on his side.
 
“I ate, don’t worry. Seungho made extra food today and forced me to be his guinea pig.”
 
Yongguk smiled knowing that his hyung was not skipping meals just to get his pieces done. Junhyung always had this habit of skipping meals when he gets too engrossed on working his pieces. When he was in Korea, Yongguk would always be the one to drag him out of his room to eat and shower.
 
“All right, sleep tight then hyung. I will call you soon. Good nights!”
 
“G’night.”
 
Junhyung whispered softly as he ended the call and fell asleep with his phone still on his hand. He dreamt of a beautiful white fur coated kitten with a tag labeled “Seung” on its collar. When he tried to pat it, it snarled and bit on his hand and ran away.
 
At first, the brothers were still in contact with each other and even composed songs together through mails and calls. They composed a full song together and Junhyung got so excited, he even tattooed the title on him and sent the picture of his tattoo to Yongguk. But he and Yongguk started talking lesser and lesser as he was getting busier in his school year and Yongguk was busy trying to improve his dance skills. The few times Junhyung and Yongguk talked on phone, the elder one would always ask how Yongguk’s love life was. Yongguk would normally tell him that it was all going well and shrugging the topic off after that. It was until the final year of high school that Yongguk told Junhyung that he is attached. He told him that he was wooing this guy since the first year of high school and he was so happy that they finally got together. And when Junhyung asked who it was, Yongguk told him it was a pretty boy named Kim Himchan. Yongguk sounded really happy on the phone so Junhyun didn’t have the heart to ask him about the previous man he mentioned two years ago.
 
It was only until the accident happened that Junhyung flew back to Korea to see his younger brother in the hospital. He finally sees the beautiful, mysterious kitten named Seung yet he was in an utter mess. Tears were streaming down his beautiful pale cheeks, his small frame trembling with fear as the time slowly ticks by. The man was doll-like. He was just like a lifeless doll sitting there with another kitten-look-alike man, which Junhyung assumes is the man named Kwon, comforting him and whispering words of assurances. Suddenly, he sees another man appearing out of nowhere and slapped the doll-guy on his cheeks. The man sitting was still lifeless, just like no one has approached him or slapped him, yet his friend had another reaction. The kitten-look-alike guy stood up and shouted at the man who slapped his friend, asked him what was wrong with him for slapping people.
 
“If you want to die, just do it alone! Don’t pull my house Himchan along with you, !”
 
The man shouted at the lifeless man and ran towards the operation room’s door. He cried Himchan’s name and begged all the gods who could answer him to save his younger brother. The man later introduced himself as Kim Hyun Joong, Kim Himchan’s elder brother.
 
After the accident, Junhyung paid private investigators to dig out all information on this “Seung” guy. He found out that his real name was Jang Hyunseung. At first, Junhyung still couldn’t accept the fact and couldn’t bring himself to forgive Hyunseung after that he did to Yongguk. But slowly, he let the matter go and found out that he was getting attracted to this man. He was the same age as Junhyung, but retained a year in high school and even made to transfer school to restart his first year due to family issues. Junhyung then found out that both of them were enrolled into the same major in college and to top it off, they were seatmates. Junhyung took a year break in Korea to settle Yongguk’s issues and to accompany his long-time-no-see parents, only starting college the same year as Hyunseung. Junhyung got really interested in this beautiful man and told himself that he will change this man.
 
---
 
Junhyung was pulled back from his thoughts when Nurse-ssi came back into the room after ending the phone call. The nurse took the ice pack from Junhyung’s hand and applied medicine on it too. She informed him that all classes have ended and he could go back home now. Junhyung was about to ask her if he could stay awhile longer when his phone rang and his mother called to tell him that he have to rush back home now for the appointment they made.
 
Junhyung then stood up from the chair and walked towards the door. He turned back to look at the still unconscious boy one last time.
 
He forgave you already, so why don’t you just forgive yourself too. It’s been years already, so just let bygone be bygones, Seung.
 
Junhyung turned back to face the door and left the infirmary. Just then, Hyunseung woke up.
 
---
 
“Hyung!”
 
Dongwoon called out as he was in the kitchen making drink for him and Gikwang. He brought Gikwang home after lesson ended. He received a text from Junhyung telling him to get home first and he will tell him what happened tomorrow.
 
“Hmmmm?”
 
Gikwang answered absent-mindedly as he was watching the drama showing on the television screen right now.
 
“Beer?”
 
Dongwoon got out of the kitchen and sat beside Gikwang. He passed the can of beer to Gikwang. Not really paying attention to Dongwoon and the drink he passed him as his eyes were glued to the screen Gikwang took a big gulp of beer and was stunned when he felt the bitter taste on his tongue.
 
“Oh my g- what did you give me?”
 
Gikwang looked at the can and the label wrote “Heineken” flashed into his eyes. His eyes grew big and he choked on the taste in his mouth. He tried coughing the alcohol out but it was long down his throat. Dongwoon thought Gikwang was choked by the drink and went to pat on his back.
 
“Omo hyung, take it easy the drink wouldn’t run away.”
 
“Why did you give me beer? Ahhh it’s so fattening!”
 
Dongwoon was stunned by the last word and laughed out loud. He ruffled Gikwang’s hair and clanged both their cans together.
 
“It’s just a little, hyung. And plus, even if you get fat, you still look so gorgeous.”
 
Dongwoon didn’t mean any harm when he said that, he just stated the facts but he didn’t know that Gikwang took it another way. Gikwang blushed all the way to his ears at the comment. Unconsciously, Gikwang took the beer from his hand and gulped down another big mouth full of beer to drown the blush on his face. And in a few hours, Gikwang was drunk and hiccupping from the alcohol in him. His words were slurred and he was getting high.
 
“Ah, Dongwoon-ah, I like you.”
 
---
 
A/N: Lalalalala~ Cliff hangerrrr! ;pppppp Will kiwoon be together now? Or will woonie will shrug it off as alcohol nonsense from kiki? :3 what is hyunseung’s point of view in the past? What happened to Yongguk? I promised past, but I didn’t say whose point of view of the past will I post. :p kekeke! Writer’s block is back to find me so my speed of updating got slow. :/ damn you writer’s block. :/ anyway, kekeke! I did it! :D comments are loved! :D
 
To make things clear, Junhyung is one year older than Yongguk. (im not talkin abt real life. I meant this fic. Yongguk is a ’90 in real life. XD) and Hyunseung is a retained. Zico is the same age as Hyunseung n Junhyung (again, he is a ’92 in real life.) but he quit sch after high school to open a club for business. Yukwon, Minhyuk and Himchan are the same age as Yongguk. For Singapore, high school is 4 years, mostly 13-16 or 17. While college age varies, but in this fic I will put it was 17 – 18 college years. :D kekeke! Anytin confusing, please ask! :DDD thank you! :D