Chapter 3

Shadows of the Dark

¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥
 
Junhyung jumped on his bed and plunged his face into the pillow. He sighed in relief as his stiff body took a rest from the long day. Hyunseung accepted his watch and forgot to return him after. He was glad that at least Hyunseung didn’t reject his offer of help and he was able to make an impression in Hyunseung’s mind. He was about to fall asleep while thinking about his seatmate when his phone rang, indicating a new received text.
 
From: Dongwoon
Hyung! Are you free tomorrow? Come over and stay over! My parents wouldn’t be in town and I will be so bored to death alone! Jebaaal, ne? *puppy eyes*
 
Junhyung chuckled at his best friend’s attempt on using full aegyo on him. He was about to text back when he heard the doorbell of his apartment ring. Junhyung has a rich family which owned a whole building of apartments. He was given one apartment for himself so that he could learn to be independent. He walked towards the caller and pressed on the screen to view who was outside. He was rather shocked to see his mum’s face appear on the screen.
 
“Umma?! You rarely come down here personally!”
 
Junhyung said as he quickly opened his door to let his mother in. junhyung would always go up to the family apartment during meal times. His mother would not need to come down to get him. And since there are workers at home to help deliver any necessary message and also with the help of technology, there was really not a need for her to come down personally.
 
“Did you forget tomorrow’s appointment? I came down to check on the cleaning up of that apartment and since I was here, I came to do a spot check!”
 
“Bwo? What is there to spot check on?”
 
“To see if you are hiding any girls from me and your appa! Umma is waiting for you to bring home a girlfriend for so long. I don’t mind if it’s a pretty boy too~” Junhyung’s umma said cheerfully.
 
“Ah…bwoya~ I’m not in a relationship, umma!”
 
“Che…no fun at all. Go bathe and change out of your uniform. Then come up for dinner, and don’t forget about tomorrow!”
 
Junhyung’s umma said before walking out of the apartment and into the metal box. The sudden reminder of tomorrow made him remember about Dongwoon’s text.
 
From: Junnie Hyung :3
Mianhae woon-ah! Remember what day is tomorrow? I can’t go to your house. Do you want to join my family instead?
 
Junhyung dropped his phone on his bed but walked into the bathroom for a bath. He doesn’t have to look at his upcoming text to know what Dongwoon’s reply was. The “date” that his family was going tomorrow, Dongwoon wouldn’t want to go.
 
********************************

Hyunseung was waiting outside of RUST with Yukwon as the others were still busy cleaning up the club. Yukwon noticed how uncomfortably quiet Hyunseung got after overhearing what Kyung said. Yukwon felt bad for neglecting Hyunseung these few years ever since he and Minhyuk got together. Yukwon and Hyunseung used to be the closest in their clique, always gossiping and giggling together like high school girls. But those were before Yukwon got together with Minhyuk and Hyunseung having his own private life. He remembered that their high school clique used to be five of them. But the other two…Yukwon shook his head when he thought of the other two.
 
“Hyunseung-ah...”
 
Yukwon called out to the man beside him. He didn’t like how awfully quiet Shadow was. Hyunseung didn’t reply as his mind was preoccupied by the thoughts of ‘the day’.
 
“Jang Hyunseung…Yah, Jang Hyunseung!”
 
Yukwon spoke into his ear, making the daze boy jump at the loud sound.
 
“Bwoya?! Why did you scare me like that?”
 
Hyunseung lightly whacked Yukwon on the shoulder. Yukwon whined in pain and rubbed his aching shoulder.
 
“I called you three times and you ignored me!”
 
“…Jinja…? Mianhaeyo…I was thinking of-“
 
Yukwon cut him off, “Yah, I was thinking of having a piercing. Want to join me?”
 
“…Now?”
 
“Uh hmm! It’s freezing out here! And besides, they will only be done after a few hours. So we shall take this time to get it done.”
 
“But it’s 12 midnight!”
 
Yukwon grabbed Hyunseung’s hand and dragged him towards the streets, “Don’t worry, that friend of mine don’t sleep so early.”
 
“Kim Yukwon! I gave you so many missed calls! Where did the two of you go?”
 
Minhyuk screamed when he saw the two boys walk into the club. Yukwon smiled cheekily and looked at Hyunseung. He was glad that Hyunseung was feeling better. He remembered Hyunseung once telling him that ever since that incident that he loves the feeling of pain on him whenever he feel stressed or upset. But he promised that he would never do anything to hurt him again. Therefore Yukwon chose another way to let him feel pain – by having a tongue piercing. The pain that shoots up your tongue and numbs your whole mouth, and it feels like your whole head was throbbing at first, but it feels good after a while.
 
Hyunseung wriggled his eye browns at Yukwon and both of them showed the mehrong face to the five other boys in the empty club.
 
“Oh. My. Gosh.”
 
Minhyuk could only use that to describe how he was currently feeling. Zico just stared with a opened mouth, with no words coming out.
 
Kyung whistled, “Whoa, that’s kind of y in a way.”
 
Zico elbowed his lover in the gut, “Hyunseung, yo-“
 
Yukwon ran towards the speaking man and covered his mouth, “Uh-uh, you aren’t going to make me suffer this pain for nothing right?”
 
***********************************

Hyunseung walked into the school gate the next morning while rubbing his temples. Due to the pain on his swollen tongue, he was having a headache since the moment he woke up. His frown got even deeper when he saw Junhyung and Dongwoon standing outside of the classroom talking. There was something different about Junhyung today. Hyunseung could sense that the daily class joker seem to have this very tired aura around him. He was about to walk pass them when Junhyung spotted him and greeted him.
 
“Morning Hyunseung-ssi.”
 
Unlike how Hyunseung usually ignored him, he gave him a small nod as a form of acknowledgement. Junhyung was stunned for a moment but gave a smile that didn’t quite reach his eyes.
 
At least he started to acknowledge me.
 
Junhyung smiled at the thought, maybe today is not such a bad day after all. Hyunseung got into the class and sat down on his seat. The two other boys were still outside talking, so Hyunseung took the chance to do what he wanted. He tore a piece of paper from his notebook and wrote,
 

Thanks for the watch.
                                      -HS

 
Hyunseung placed the red watch on top of the piece of paper and put it in the middle of Junhyung’s table. And after a while, Junhyung and Dongwoon came into the class as class was starting. Junhyung saw the watch and note. He smiled as the read the cursive handwriting before putting it into his pocket.
 
“Welcome.”
 
Junhyung said softly as he knew Hyunseung was peeking at him. Hyunseung cleared his throat awkwardly and looked out of the windows with his usual blank face.

***************************************
 


[A/N: Play this song from here onwards until the end of this chapter.]
 
It was lunch time and Hyunseung didn’t feel like eating today. His tongue was hurting and he was not in the mood. He had always had a phobia to the roof since that incident. But today, he told him that it was time for him to let go. He carefully pushed open the door of the roof and took a step in when a voice came from behind him.
 
“Hyunseung-ah.”
 
Hyunseung turned to see Zico walking up the stairs to the roof too.
 
“Eh? How did you get in?”
 
“Money. How is your tongue? Yukwon was complaining over the phone that he was having a mild fever due to his swollen tongue.”
 
“Minhyuk is taking care of him right? Swollen and giving me headaches, but really cool. Oh yeah, how did you know I’m here?”
 
“Yeah, he has to. I went to your class and they said you are not in. And since today…is a special day, I guessed that you will be up in the roof. And I see that you are making improvements.”
 
“It’s been two years, Jiho…It’s time for me to let go right?”
 
Hyunseung rarely calls Zico his real name. But if he ever calls, that are the times when Hyunseung needs a shoulder to cry on, and that’s the reason why Zico was here today. He knew Hyunseung was putting a strong front since last night.
 
“You should have let it go long ago.”
 
Hyunseung and Zico walked into the roof. Zico walked towards the edge and placed his hands on it. He turned to face Hyunseung who was still having a small mental fight with himself. Zico held his hand out for Hyunseung and the latter gladly held it. Hyunseung smiled bitterly as thoughts of his past flooded his brain. He started singing, singing the song he always loved. He would always sing and listen to this song when he thought of his past.
 
“Woorin mahnaseon ahn dwae (We can’t meet again)
eejen mahnaseon ahn dwae (Now, we really can’t meet)
Chagawoon ee mahlae eebsooleul ggaemoolgo (I bit my lips at these cold icy words)
 
Doraboji ahneulae juhldae ahn dorabolae (I don’t want to look back, I don’t want to ever look back)
Dajimeul hago ddo dashi haebojiman (I tell myself over and over again)
geugae ahndwae (but I can’t do that)”
 
Hyunseung sang as a tear rolled down his eye. He started sobbing into his palms as he thought of the past.
 
“Nuhran yeoja eejeulguhran mahl haedo (Even though I tell myself that I will forget a girl like you)
Nuhrahn yeoja dashi boji mahlja dajimhaebwado (Even though I tell myself that I will never look at a girl like you)
eeruhgae ddo nuhreul eetji mohthae (But again I can’t forget you)
 
Suhro saranghetneundae (We loved each other)
Jungmahl saranghaetneundae (We really loved each other)
Wooriga eeruhgae wae haeuhjineundae (Why are we breaking up like this?)
Haeuhjiji mahlja (Let’s not break up)”
 
Zico pulled Hyunseung into his arms and let him cry on his shoulder. He pained him so bad that his best friend was crying so hard yet he couldn’t do anything. It was partly his fault of what happened. Although everyone has told him it was not his fault at all, but he thinks he is indirectly the cause of it.
 
“Na ubshin moht sandago jookeuljido moreundago (Telling me that you couldn’t live without me. Telling me that you were going to die without me)
Keun sori chiduhn nun daechae uhdieetni (You, who used to say such things, where did you go?)
Uhdigahtni  (Where did you go?)”
 
I will let go of you. I will stop thinking about you. I wish the both of you best of luck in the future…I love you, but only as best friends now, I promise.
 
What is Hyunseung’s past that is so painful for him to bear? What is the appointment Junhyung have? Now that Junhyung was not going to be with Dongwoon, who will he find?
 
A/N: Sorry that I have to use a youtube video. I couldn’t find a playlist that would let me upload my own songs into it. I tried a few but I couldn’t find an autoplay option to play on LJ posts. :/ so…yeah I had to resort to using youtube. :/ mian! This chapter has lots of breaks. I was having a big debating session with myself cos this chapter will affect the whole of my future chapters. I kept changing my plot. I think I changed more than ten times. X___x I changed so much that I was so tired and fedup. :/ gosh. So…sorry if this chapter is no good. T_T
 
Credits of lyrics goes to B2R.