Chapter 27

Shadows of the Dark

Chapter 27:

—-

“Ahhh… It feels good, Doojoon-ah..”

“Seobie, you have been working yourself too hard these few days… You are so tensed.”

“Hng… Do it harder…”

Gayoon knocked on the door of the president council room door. Doojoon looked up and continued with what he was doing.

“Come in.”

She came in with her hands covering her eyes.

“This is the list for the students that are late today.”

Yoseob moans again and Doojoon nonchalantly told Gayoon to put the file onto the table.

“Gayoonie, why are you covering your eyes?”

Yoseob spoke with a strain in his voice.

“I don’t have the habit of watching such scenes.”

Yoseob and Doojoon looked at each other and laughed out loud.

“Gayoonie is a ert!”

Gayoon peeked out from between her fingers. Yoseob was sitting on the chair with his back facing Doojoon. The president was sitting on the table with his hands on Yoseob’s shoulders. Gayoon stuck out her tongue with a soft ‘opps’.

“Leave the community service list to the others and you can leave, Gayoon. I will lock up.”

“Yes, I will leave now.”

“Byebye Gayoonie~!”

Yoseob waved like an idiot. Gayoon smiled, nodded and mumbled a soft ‘bye’ before leaving the room.

—-

“Seungho-ah, will you be able to arrange these community service list and hand them to Doojoon later?”

“Why hand them to him and not the lecturer instead?”

Gayoon smiled and patted Seungho on the shoulder.

“Just do as you are told.”

Seungho has been officially enrolled into the student council. He was told to do duties during the morning, during lunch and even after classes. He had did a detailed background check on each and everyone of the members. Heo Gayoon, treasurer of the student council but also the discipline head of the club. She takes care of each and every disciplinary case in the school with the discipline master. The President, Yoon Doojoon, would always let her had the full control of disciplinary matters. She was well-known for her no-nonsense attitude, where she doesn’t say more than she should.

It would be hard to try and win her favour.

“Anneyonggggggggggg!”

The council room door was barged in by a hyperactive Jiyoon. Jeon Jiyoon, a close friend of Gayoon and a frequent visitor of the council room although she aren’t one of them.

“Jiyoon, I told you not to barge in here like that. And you are not allowed here too.”

“Ah, wae~ Jiyoon misses Gayoonie~ And I’m hungry~ You promise me you will go eat hotdog buns with me after school today~”

Jiyoon swings Gayoon’s hands and pouted cutely. Gayoon fails to keep her stern face and ruffled her best friend’s hair.

“I know~ Let’s go.”

Gayoon picked up her stuffs and turned to look at Seungho, “I will leave the rest to you. You can leave after you are done. Doojoon will lock up the room.”

“Deh.”

Gayoon and Jiyoon bowed to Seungho and he returned it. Seungho watched as the two females walked out of the club room. He continued with whatever work he was doing.

After finally finishing his work, he took quiet steps towards the door of the president room and stood there. He could clearly hear the conversation between the couple from his position.

“Are you done?”

“A little more, you can take a nap on the couch if you are tired.”

Doojoon didn’t stop his hands from moving across the keyboard despite speaking to his lover. Yoseob yawned and stretched his sore body while heavily dropped his body on the couch.

“Should we visit Gikwang and Dongwoon today?”

Yoseob mumbled as he rested his head back on the armrest of the couch. Doojoon paused a moment to absorb what was asked and continued with his work.

“I doubt so… I got a call from Junhyung just now to ask if Hyunseung applied for early leave today. It seems both of them had a fight or something, he sounded really depressed. I think its better that we don’t go over today. And you seem so tired, its better to send you home to rest.”

“It’s your fault that I’m so tired.”

Yoseob whined and buried his face into the couch pillow. Doojoon was taken aback and looked up from his document.

“Me? Wha-“

Doojoon was interrupted by three knocks on the door.

“Come in.”

Seungho came in and placed a file on his table.

“I have finished the list for community service.”

“Oh that’s fast. Thanks, Seungho. You can go now.”

Seungho bowed and was about to walked out of the room when he turned back.

“Oh, did you hear anything from Junhyung? I tried calling him but his phone is turned off.”

Doojoon looked up from his documents, “You know Junhyung?”

“Yeah, we are housemates in Japan during high school.”

“Ohh.. I’m not sure what happened. It’s better if you ask his friends instead.”

Doojoon gave a professional smile and went back to concentrating on his work. Seungho excused himself and closed the door after him. Seungho smirked and looked back from his shoulder at the closed door.

—-

“Seungie, talk to me…”

“…”

Junhyung begged for the umpteenth time. He had came over to Hyunseung’s place straight after lessons when he found out that the older male took leave of absence for the rest of the classes for the day. No matter how much he tried to speak to Hyunseung, the latter just sits on the chair with a pillow in his arms, legs folded up and eyes staring out of the window. Junhyung is squatting in front of him, trying to coax his lover into responding to me.

Junhyung heard the door creaked open and revealed Geurim with two cups of hot beverage in hand. Geurim passed one to him and placed the other one within reaching distance for her brother.

“Oppa, don’t you want to talk to Junhyung oppa and let him explain?”

“…”

“Oppa, I made caramel macchiato for you. Drink it while its hot all right? Junhyung oppa, can I have a word with you outside?”

Junhyung sighed and stood up to follow Geurim out of the room. In the living room were Hyunseung parents, Zico, Kyung and Yukwon. The two of them joined them and all of them sat there in a moment of silence. Zico broke the silence.

“What happened? Its not like him to just sit there… Even when Y-… Even in the past, he would try ways to let out his… Emotions in his way. Or whatever you call it. He acts how he is in school! He shut all of us off!”

“I guess his best way to torture Junhyung, is to keep silent.”

Kyung said and sighed, placing his chin on Zico’s shoulder. Junhyung pressed his nails in his palms, he really don’t know how to mend things now.

“Junhyung, can you tell us exactly what happened, so we could think of a way to help?”

Junhyung looked up to a really worried looking Jang umma. He felt guilt rush up his heart. It was his fault that Hyunseung is acting like this now. It was his fault that everyone that cares for Hyunseung are sitting here getting all worried over him. It was his fault that he couldn’t handle this relationship properly.

“I’m sorry… I really am… But I really don’t know what went wrong… We met up with Hyunseung at the usual place in school-“

“Wait, you just said ‘We’, who else were there with you?”

Zico questioned.

“S-seungho hyung…”

Kyung jumped up from the armrest he was sitting on and stormed his foot.

“I knew it! I kew this got to do with him!”

“But-“

“You chose to believe that… Whatever friend of yours instead of your lover?!”

Yukwon stood up and shoot Junhyung an absurb look.

“I-… No…! I meant, what is there to believe? We were just talking and all of a sudden Hyunseung blew his top and walked off! I don’t even know what went wrong!”

“I will tell you what went wrong. Your ing hyung is the one who went wrong!”

Yukwon shouted. Geurim hugged one of Yukwon’s arm and patted his chest.

“Kwonie, please mind your language when you are speaking in my house.”

Jang appa warned.

“I know you are angry, but vulgarities and anger are not going to solve the problem. I have absolutely no clue of what all of you kids are saying. Can you please, explain everything in details with no profanities?”

Junhyung dug his nails even deeper into his palms.

“We went over to find Hyunseung during lunch. Seungie was acting a little weird so I was asking him if he was all right. Then Seungho hyung said that he should tell me everything since we are lovers and we shouldn’t hide anything from each other. Then all of a sudden Seungho hyung was talking about tongue infection from his recent piercing and Yukwon had a same one on his tongue too. And I accidentally said something about the past and Seungho hyung got curious… When he tried to ask more about it, Seungie snapped and told him to stop trying to get between our relationship… When I tried to explain how Seungho hyung was just being concerned, Seungie suddenly got all cold and distant like how he was before he knew me…”

Junhyung looked up at everyone in the living room and sighed. Zico huffed and scratched his head in frustrations.

“Believe it or not, whatever we are going to tell you are the truth. Hyunseung hyung was supposed to be the one to tell you but I guess you never gave him a chance to.”

The youngest male entwined his fingers together and stared at Junhyung through serious eyes.

“We have actually been really wary of Seungho since the start. He always looked at Hyunseung hyung with eyes filled with motives like he was planning some dirty tricks in his mind. We had warned hyung again and again not to be too friendly with him but he never listens because he trust you and your friends. You know how hyung had trusting issues, but you made him start to trust. Now you are the reason he stopped trusting anyone, not even his family.”

Junhyung bit on the insides of his cheeks.

“I-“

Kyung stopped him and continued, “Last night, Hyunseung hyung came to our place looking all depressed and gloomy. He told us about what happened in school with you and your friends. After you went off to chase after your friends, you left hyung with him. He started telling hyung that the happiness hyung is having now is built on someone’s misfortune. Hah, so now hyung is the bad one for wishing for happiness just once in his life! And please remember to congratulate Seungho on my behalf. Congratulations because he succeeded in causing a mess in your relationship with Hyunseung hyung! And you aided him in it! I don’t know if I should be calling you dumb, or is hyung the dumb one for falling in love with such a blinded fool!”

Kyung’s eyes were red with anger, he stormed off into Hyunseung’s room. He gave him a tight hug and whispered, ‘I love you hyung, stay strong. Please.’ before running out of the house. Yukwon pointed his finger at Junhyung.

“To think that I had always trusted you to give Hyunseung hyung the happiness he always wished for. And you thought I had something going on with hyung? Then I could say you are having an relationship with your brother since you had a tattoo for the song both of you composed! Jerk!”

Yukwon wiped off the tears streaming down his cheeks. Geurim dragged the crying boy out of the house to avoid more shoutings. Junhyung sat there unable to project a single word. Zico stood up and sighed.

“I know you can’t take all the truth now, and it’s hard on you because one is your lover which took both of you lots to reach where you were and the other is your best mate. But Junhyung, you are smart. You can use my brains to think rationally. Would Hyunseung hyung make things up? Or is your best mate purposely bringing things up to make it seem like hyung was betraying you?”

Zico patted on his shoulder. He walked over to the stand at the threshold of Hyunseung’s room.

“Hyung! I will see you later at the club if you wish to come over. I know you wouldn’t wish for me to nag at you now, so I’m leaving. Stay strong, hyung-ah.”

Zico then slowly walked out of the house to find his lover. Jang umma sat beside Junhyung and ran her arm comfortingly over the young male’s shoulder.

“Child, I don’t know why did Seungho said that or did that, but I’m sure Hyunseung didn’t lie. These few weeks, I’m so glad to see the changes you did in my son. He smiles and talks so much. And he even talks to us about you and his friends. I was rather shocked to hear about what the others said just now. I remember Hyunseung happily telling Geurim how cool Seungho was and he happens to be your friend. He told me how he wished he had a hyung like Seungho because he only has friends younger than he is.”

Jang appa placed a friendly hand on his shoulder.

“Go in and try talking to him again. He is listening.”

Junhyung stood up with weak legs. He walked slowly towards the sitting figure. Not knowing what he should say, Junhyung dropped down on his knees.

“Seungie… I’m sorry… Seungho hyung was the one and only friend I had when I first got into a new environment in Japan. He was more than just a friend. He was a brother, a best friend, a family and a listener. I know you wouldn’t want to hear any of these right now, but I’m really at loss. You are my one and only, the one who owns the vital organ of my body. After going through so much and finally getting together, I wanted to slowly get to understand one another more. But I realised we have not been spending much time together. I want to be with you till the end, be the first and the last. Seungie, I love you… I want this to work out… Please talk to me… I want to know how you feel. I want you to scold me for being stupid and tell me how much you want to hit me for being too blind to get your hints in the afternoon…”

“…”

Hyunseung remains at the same position with no reactions. Junhyung felt like he was going insane. He softly held onto both of Hyunseung’s hands. He brushed his thumbs on the back of those hands and pressed his forehead on them. Trembles shot up the shaking body and soft sobs emitted from the kneeling male.

“Please please, talk to me. I don’t know what should I do, I really don’t want to lose you. I feel like my heart is being ripped out. Hyunseung, I’m sorry. Please forgive me. Don’t reject me like this. I didn’t know so much happened behind my back. I will listen to you from now on, I will listen, I promise I will. Please… I beg you…”

Hyunseung pulled his hands out of his grip and wiped off the streaming hot tears with unchanged emotionless face. Junhyung closed his eyes with new tears forming under his closed lids. He leaned towards the pair of gentle hands and sobbed even louder.

“I’m not angry because you sided him.”

Junhyung looked up and stared back at Hyunseung.

“I’m angry with myself. We are a couple, but I am the reason why our relationship is moving in such a slow pace. Because you are a really gentle person, you give in to me for everything. In other relationships, I think the couples have already held hands and gave hugs. But because of me, you took everything to a really slow pace. And because of that, we have mistrust and miscommunications.”

Junhyung kept shaking his head, “No no no! I wanted to take things slow because I love you. I want to let you get used to this slowly. Our love is like brewing a pot of wine, you can’t rush it. And when you get the end results, you should slowly savour the wine to enjoy the taste of it.”

“A relationship goes both way. Both have to give and take, I can’t always be the one taking and you giving. I don’t want you to keep treating me like a porcelain doll on display, fragile and breakable.”

Hyunseung’s eyes slowly revealed sadness. It pains Junhyung to see such expression on him.

“I promise we will make things work. Just give this relationship one more chance. We have just started, we can still get to know each other now.”

“I want us to work too.”

“We will work this out, together. I promise.”

Junhyung placed a kiss on the back of Hyunseung’s hand and stares as the older male crawled off the chair he sat on. He kneeled to the same level as the other male. Placing one hand at the nape of Hyunseung’s neck, he searches Hyunseung’s eyes for any form of hesitation but all he is sees is determination. He slowly pulls his lover closer.

“I love you, so so much.”

“I love you too, so much more.”

Hyunseung whispered back softly, only for Junhyung to hear it. Their lips softly pressed onto each other. Hearts melted at the touch of the other’s lips and heartbeats were as loud as thunders. Hyunseung wrapped his arms around Junhyung’s waist. He bit and dragged his teeth over Junhyung’s lips and separated their lips. He leaned back in again for a soft peck and pressed their foreheads together.

“Can you please stay over tonight? I want to talk to you through the night. It’s a weekend tomorrow…”

Junhyung nodded and lovingly rubbed his thumb over Hyunseung’s cheek.

“I guess Seungho is not so bad after all.”

“What do you mean?”

Jang umma looked back to her husband.

“I meant, no matter how Seungho planned for things to go, it did ended up with a result that made their relationship stronger, no?”

The two parents hugged each other with prayers in their heads.

Please bless these kids with happiness that they deserve.

—-

A/N: Sobs I updated.