Chapter 17

Shadows of the Dark

 

Dongwoon was sitting in front of his computer and happily typing on the keyboard. He was having a conversation with Gikwang on Msn messenger.

 

Dongwoon: what are you doing now?  ♥

Gikwang: lying on my bed with my laptop on my lap! ♥ ^^

Dongwoon: :(( i'm envious of your laptop... :((((

Gikwang: ...huh? Waeyo?

Dongwoon: because the place it is lying, is supposed to be for my head.. :(

Gikwang: ... Yah... You can come here and I will let you lie too... ><

Dongwoon: are you inviting me to your house and your room? A____A

Gikwang: ...there's no one at home anyway... But just lying on my lap! Nothing else okay!

Dongwoon: A____A what are you thinking, hyung? A___A you little ert~

Gikwang: ........... !!!

Dongwoon: hehehe, wait for me!

 

Dongwoon set his status to "Busy"

 

Dongwoon happily got up from his seat, and walked around his room to prepare. He took fresh new clothes and went into the room and change. Just then, his door was knocked.

"Woonie~ Umma needs to check an email, can I use your computer?"

"Sure, umma~"

Dongwoon heard the door opened and closed. He continued dressing up and styled his hair a little before getting out of the washroom. He looked towards his umma and was terrified to see her scrolling his conversation tab with Gikwang. He chose to keep calm.

Maybe she wouldn't suspect anything.

"Umma, what email are you looking at?"

His umma jumped at his voice.

"Ah! A-ah...oh, I was supposed to check an email sent by my boss. Woonie-ah, you going out?"

Dongwoon got behind his umma and rubbed her back to soothe her from the jump.

"Yup, I'm going to a friend's house."

"Oh... Mmm... Don't be back too late, araso?"

"Neh~ see you later umma~"

Dongwoon placed a kiss on his unma's cheek. He took his phone and bag and left the house. He dialled Gikwang's phone, but the latter didn't pick up.

"Aish! Hyung, pick up the phone!"

Dongwoon tried calling and calling and calling, silently praying that his hyung would pick up the phone immediately. He started to a run towards Gikwang’s house which was around walking distance.

---

Dongwoon set his status to “Available”

 

Dongwoon: I’m back

Gikwang: Welcome back~ :) Are you leaving house already?

Dongwoon: My umma says she wants to see you. Do you want to come to my house instead?

Gikwang: …Your umma…? Why…? O__O

Dongwoon: Because I told her about you and she got interested in seeing you.

Gikwang: Chongmal? You talked to her about me? :)

Dongwoon: Yup of course

Gikwang: All right~ I will get prepared! :)

 

Gikwang had appeared to be Offline.

 

Gikwang started changing and prepared to go out. He took his phone and was shocked to see 17 missed calls from Dongwoon. He dialled back the contact.

“Yah, you are that anxious? I just managed to change and you can’t wait already?”

Gikwang pouted when it was obvious that Dongwoon couldn’t see it.

“What are you talking about? Ah, whatever. Hyung, did you talk to me after I went away from my computer?”

“Ahh? What are you talking about? You just replied and told me to go to your house because your umma wants to see me…?”

“What…? My umma wants to see you?!”

“What’s wrong with you? You just told me that! Are you having short term memory loss…?”

“Ani! Oh my god, hyung! It was not me who talked to you! It was my umma! My umma saw our conversation when I was away from my computer! Oh my god, she used my computer and saw your Msn conversation! Hyung! My status was ‘Gikwang’s’! Ottoke?!?!”

“…Wh-what…Wait, slow down! You mean the one I was talking to on Msn just now was not you, but your umma?!?! ARE YOU SAYING SHE KNOW ABOUT US?!”

“Hyung, I really don’t know! What should we do?! Open the door. I’m at your doorstep!!!”

Gikwang ended the call. He ran towards his door and opened it to reveal his younger boyfriend.

“Otto-“

Before Dongwoon could even say his first word, his phone rang. Dongwoon’s face colour turned pale at the name displayed on the screen.

 

Umma is calling…

 

Dongwoon slid his finger on the answer button and slowly placed the phone on his ear. He took a big gulp.

“N-neh, umma?”

Dongwoon’s face cringed at his shutter. He bit his lips waiting for his umma to speak. Gikwang held onto his hands and tried to give him an assurance smile.

“Dongwoon-ah… I guess you are already at Gikwang-ssi’s place… Am I right?”

“…Neh, umma…”

“…Good. Bring him back now. We will talk when you get back.”

---

Hyunseung didn’t sleep a wink last night. What was he supposed to tell Junhyung today? He made a decision yesterday, but yet he doesn’t really know how he should express himself. He started day dreaming on the bus and almost sat over his stop for school. He quickly got the bus and started walking into the school gates.

If I told him that I really do love him, does it seem like I’m really desperate? Aish, ottoke?

Hyunseung had his eyes on the ground all the while as he walked to class. He stopped dead on his tracks when he heard Junhyung’s voice.

“Aish, Dongwoon didn’t even inform me that he couldn’t make it to school today!”

Oh my god, he is in school already! What should I do?!?!?!

Hyunseung took a deep breath and lifted his head up. At the very moment, Hyunseung felt like his heart was being hammered. He felt like karma just got back at him. Junhyung was sitting at his seat, playing with his phone on his hands, with another guy was sitting on Hyunseung’s seat and he was sleeping with his head resting on Junhyung’s shoulder. Hyunseung felt someone bumped onto him from the back. He turned to see a slightly taller male bowing to him.

“Mianhae, I didn’t see you. I’m sorry!”

Hyunseung looked at the guy and continued walking towards his seat. Junhyung noticed Hyunseung and shrugged his shoulder to push the guy’s head away from his shoulder.

“Yah, Suhoon, get up. Hyunmin is here to pick you up.”

“Junhyung hyung!”

“Anneyong~ Take him back to class.”

“Neh~ Anneyong hyung!”

“Listen to class, Mika!”

“Neh, Suhoon hyung. Wake up, the bell is going to ring.”

“Mmmm…”

Hyunmin walked towards the three boys. He pulled Mika up from his seat. Mika opened his eyes slightly. He whined and hugged Hyunmin from the back.

“Piggyback me!”

Mika snuggled his head into Hyunmin’s neck and smiled comfortably like a cat. Hyunmin shook his head and lifted Mika’s legs up from the ground.

“We will see you after school then, Junhyung hyung!”

“Deh~”

Hyunmin and Mika left the class, leaving Junhyung and Hyunseung in awkward silence. Hyunseung put up his usual poker face as he sat down on his seat. His mind was running wild from the scene just then.

So now, he is with that Mika guy? So that Mika guy is better than him? Yes, that Mika guy is pretty. B-but…But didn’t Junhyung say he loved Hyunseung?

“Hyunseung…”

Hyunseung was pulled out of his trance when Junhyung spoke. The younger male bit on his lips, wondering how he should start the conversation.

“Did you sleep well last night?”

“……Uhmmm…”

Hyunseung nodded. He felt like he was betrayed, he was cheated. So Junhyung was just playing around? So it doesn’t matter to him who was it? Since he couldn’t get Hyunseung, he will move on to the next target? Hyunseung had this thought in his mind throughout the whole day. He didn’t remember how he made it through the day with Junhyung beside him. He doesn’t remember how he ended up at DUSK, drinking the bottle of Brandy that Zico passed him.

“Hyung, what happened?”

“…What else could happen? What you said came true… He didn’t really mind who it was. Without me, he can just choose the next target. Hah, are the both of them really adopted brothers?”

Hyunseung downed the cup of brandy in his cup. He winced at the burn on his throat, but continued pouring another cup for himself.

“…What? So now he gave up on you, and had another guy already?! Yong Junhyung, I thought you were better than this…”

Zico said through clenched teeth. He banged his fist on the bar top, startling Kyung who was walking towards the bar.

“Ah wae?! You scared me!”

“Yong. ing. Jun. Hyung.”

Zico pulled out his phone from his pocket and was about to dial Junhyung’s number when Kyung stopped him.

“Yah, why are you calling him? You are contradicting yourself, Zi. You are the one who wanted to chase him away and now you are calling him back? Tch.”

Kyung dropped Zico’s phone onto the bar top away from Zico’s reach. Hyunseung took Zico’s phone and pocketed it.

“I wouldn’t let you call him.”

“Ah wae, hyung!”

“…Zi, stop it. He made it obvious. He gave up yesterday after I told him that I need time to face him again. I guess his love for me is just not strong enough to wait for me…”

Hyunseung bottomed down the whole cup of brandy again. He felt his head throb as the alcohol rushed over his head. He dropped his head on the table, brain shut off and mouth spouting nonsense on its own.

“…I guess…I just…shouldn’t…be…having…too much…hope…on…this thing called…love…”

And Hyunseung out. Zico wondered if he was really doing the right thing. Should he have just not tested Junhyung at all in the first place? But will that be hurting Hyunseung even more than he is right now? Zico could only blame himself for all that has happened, and it pains Kyung to see his favourite and his lover to be depressed.

“Baby, let’s just carry hyung home, all right?”

Zico nodded and told Yukwon to take over the bar. Hyunseung’s arms were thrown over Kyung and Zico’s shoulders having both of them brought him out of the club and flag for a cab. When Zico and Kyung bought him alighted at his house, Hyunseung gained conscious but he was still drunk. He started spouting nonsense of how he loves Zico and Kyung and the other boys at DUSK. He was slurring his words but was shouting at the top of his voice. His parents and Geurim woke up and was shocked to see his drunken state. His parents thank the two boys and placed the drunk on his bed. Jang umma took a wet towel to wash his face while his appa changed his clothes. Geurim stopped the two boys from leaving.

“Oppa…what happened to Hyunseung oppa?”

“…”

The two boys looked at each other with knowing looks. They were contemplating on whether it was a good idea to be telling her the truth, since they didn’t know if Hyunseung would like it.

“Don’t worry. Oppa tells me everything about Junhyung…And I guess it is about Junhyung, judging from the way he was crying last night and his drunken state tonight…”

“…He was drinking in sorrow tonight…I don’t really know what happened, but he said something about Junhyung having a new target already…”

“…What? New target…? As in he likes another guy…?”

“…Neh…”

Geurim felt angry, she felt so cheated for even trusting Junhyung. Zico was grinding his teeth and holding onto his clenched fists so tight that his knuckles turn white. Kyung wrapped his hand around those tight fists and looked into his eyes.

“Zi, don’t do anything. You can’t, remember. You have to let him or someone else settle this. Because you are the one who suggested this idea of testing Junhyung, so you can’t do anything but to let Hyunseung face the result of the test. Just having to be by hyung’s side, I know he will be glad enough. You going to harass Jun, he wouldn’t like it. Listen to me, Zi.”

Zico nodded and walked towards the street slowly. Kyung turned towards Geurim and placed his hands on her shoulder.

“Geurim, oppa can’t do much to help Hyunseung oppa. So please, we need you by his side to help him too. You get what I mean? As a girl, you understand relationships better. Although we don’t have a normal way of relationship style that are approved by everyone in the world, but our hearts feel the same. Maybe you are able to look at things in the other angle because we can’t. Our minds are so set to think that Junhyung will be a jerk and hurt Hyunseung’s heart, that we don’t bother to find out the truth. Geurim, can oppa count on you?”

“Neh, oppa. I know what to do.”

Kyung smiled and ruffled her hair.

“Thank you, Geurim-ah. Get in the house, it’s getting cold. Don’t kick your blankets~”

“Neh, Kyung umma~”

“I heard that~”

Geurim giggled and waved to Kyung before walking into the house and locking the doors. She turned the knob of Hyunseung’s room and peeked her head it. Umma is looking at Hyunseung with a pain expression. Appa was sighing and pacing around the room.

“Appa, Umma, go to sleep. I will take care of oppa.”

Geurim opened the door fully to get into the room.

“But you have school tomorrow…”

“It’s okay, umma. I can take care of myself. I’m not a small girl anymore, right? And I know I have to do something for Oppa…”

“You know what happened?”

“Appa, I will tell you once the time is ripe… so please, don’t worry about Oppa now. He will be all right.”

“…All right…Get some rest when you can, okay?”

“Neh, good night appa umma.”

“Good night, Geurim-ah.”

After their parents left the room, Geurim took out Hyunseung’s phone from his jeans.

 

11 notifications

 

Geurim unlocked Hyunseung’s phone and scrolled down the list of notifications.

 

Junhyung

Didn’t receive any replies from you today… Is something wrong?

 

Junhyung

Please tell me you are all right…

 

Junhyung

I apologise if I’m being a bother, good night.

 

Junhyung

Just a reply from you will be good. Even if it is an empty message, please let me know you are fine.

 

Junhyung

I will see you in class tomorrow. Rest well.

 

Junhyung

Sorry…

 

5 Missed Calls

Junhyung

 

Just when Geurim wanted to click onto Junhyung’s contact number, the phone rang to indicate an incoming call. It was Junhyung calling. Geurim clicked on the pick up button.

“Yoboseyo? Hyunseung?”

“…I’m Geurim.”

“Oh…Anneyonghaseyo… May I know if Hyunseung is all rig-“

“He is fine. May I speak to you for a moment, Junhyung-ssi?”

“Uh…Uh yeah… Yes?”

Geurim got out of the room and closed the door behind her.

“May I know what happened today to make my oppa so upset?”

“…Molla…Chongmal molla…”

“…Why does Oppa say you already had someone else? He said you gave up already…”

“Bwoh?! I did-…Did he misunderstand…about me…and Suhoon…Aish, andwae, it’s not like this!”

“Junhyung-ssi, I don’t know what happened. But I really don’t want to see my oppa like this… coming home every night drunk and spouting nonsense. My umma has been crying every night and it pains my heart to see her like this. Junhyung-ssi, if you are not true to my oppa, I would like you to let him go. I once trust you that you would not hurt my oppa like Yongguk-ssi did. But I was terrified after oppa told me that you gave up. I would really like to minimise the pain for oppa to the minimum. Both of you are not together, yet you have already hurt him to this state. Please, if you really want oppa to be happy, give him the happiness he deserves…”

“Geurim-I-…”

“I don’t want to listen to your excuse. And you shouldn’t even be explaining it to me. I will make sure oppa goes to school tomorrow, and you have to clear up everything. If you truly want oppa to be happy, do the right thing. Show me that I can entrust my oppa to you, if not, I will take him back…”

“…I will, I will do the right thing. Thank you, Geurim-ssi…”

“That’s all I have to say. Have a good night, Junhyung-ssi.”

And Geurim ended the call. She sighed and covered her face with the phone.

Junhyung-ssi, don’t disappoint me anymore. I will not forgive you the second time. My brother is a really special person to me. We went through so much to be able to get back together as proper family I don’t wish to see him unhappy again. I wouldn’t let you off if you let him down the second time…

Geurim got back into the room and was shocked to see Hyunseung sitting up on the bed and rubbing his temples.

“Geurim, who called?”

“Uh…”

“It was Junhyung, right?”

---

A/N: I know, im really late. ;A; im sorry. writer's block got me... :( i tried to run, but i was too slow. orz kekeke~ this chp did come out the way i planned before... i guess its because its been really long since i wrote fics, so the way i write become really awkward right now... :/ idk i need time to adjust back, sorry. :(