Let Me Hold Your Hand (I'll Let Me Hold Your Hand)

Exo Shipping Challenge

Title: Let Me Hold Your Hand (I’ll Let Me Hold Your Hand)
Pairing: Kai/Xiumin
Word Count: 3,375
Warning: Lots and lots of fluff, if that can be considered a warning.
Disclaimer: I don't own Exo. Also, the title is from The Beatles 'I Want To Hold Your Hand'.
Summary: Jongin really wants to hold Minseok’s hand. It’s ends up being more difficult to accomplish than he originally anticipated.

 

    It’s Minseok that decides that he and Jongin need to spend some ‘manly bro bonding time’ with each other. His exact words, in fact, brought up during another one of their inane photoshoots.

    Some unidentifiable emotion bubbles up in Jongin’s chest, and he tries not to be too enthusiastic in his agreement. Being in a group with eleven other guys and putting them into different subgroups makes it difficult for Jongin to get any kind of bonding time with his favorite hyung, let alone the ‘manly bro’ kind (except it’s Minseok, and Jongin kind of wants to be more than ‘manly bro’s’ with Minseok. He’d even venture to say that he might want to hold Minseok’s hand, cheesy as it sounds).

    It’s Minseok that sets everything up, finding out from the managers when their next day off is as soon as he gets the chance to ask. He has Jongin run off to pick out a movie for them to watch (“Just no romance, please, bleh.”) and talks the other Exo-M members into going over to K’s dorm for a few hours.

    Jongin isn’t there for the conversation, but he can easily imagine how it goes. Probably, Luhan and maybe Zitao and definitely Jongdae whined about being kicked out of their own dorm. Probably, Yixing pouted and asked why he couldn’t join in while Yifan nodded in agreement. Probably, Minseok fixed them with the same cold stare that he gives the K members whenever he walks into their dorm after two weeks of having been too busy to pick up the mess. And as the K members do whenever such moments happen, the M members probably cowered in fear and quickly agreed to any and all of Minseok’s demands.

    While all of that’s going on, Jongin picks out the first non-romantic DVD he sees, not paying much attention because he’s too busy basking in unbridled excitement for later. He forgets the name of his pick almost immediately after his eyes scan the cover, but he vaguely thinks it might be an Action Adventure.

    A few minutes after Jongin pays for their new movie (using Joonmyeon’s card of course), he gets a text from Minseok that says ‘no formal dress required’ winky-face.

    Jongin thinks about that text so hard that he nearly walks into oncoming traffic. It’s a close call, but a sweet old lady grabs him by the shirt and pulls him away from his impending death before scolding him in a way that only sweet old ladies can.

    It’s Minseok that continues to text him throughout the rest of the afternoon, the two of them on separate schedules that won’t meet up until sometime after eight. The texts range from the innocent ‘how do you feel about pizza for dinner?’ to the laughable ‘I just stubbed my toe and Chanyeol’s making fun of me. Control your happy virus, dongsaeng =P’ to random mobile photos of the Shimshimtapa recording studio that Jongin’s seen a million times. When he finally asks why Minseok keeps sending him pictures, Minseok explains that he’s trying to be artistic.

    Jongin assumes that this is Minseok’s own way of showing excitement (a little less dangerous than Jongin’s, perhaps), and jumps into their drawn out conversation with gusto, ignoring the fact that Sehun and Baekhyun are openly making fun of him every time he takes his phone out of his pocket to respond. They say that it’s because he gets a stupid grin on his face every time he reads one of Minseok’s texts, but Jongin’s pretty sure they’re just jealous that Minseok didn’t request any ‘manly bro bonding time’ with them. They also keep saying that it’s a date, but Jongin won’t let them get away with such lies, exclaiming again and again that ‘manly bro bonding time’ in no way translates into ‘a date’.

    Jongin finally gets his cue when the majority of the Exo-M members file into the K dorm, all of them looking quite sullen at being kicked out of their own home by their shortest band mate. Jongdae especially seems unhappy, explaining that Minseok wouldn’t even give him time to look for his wallet before shoving the five of them out the door.

    When Jongin goes to leave, Joonmyeon shouts after him to ‘have a good date’, and Kyungsoo adds in a playful ‘use protection’ that has Jongin blushing all the way up the stairs to the second floor of the apartment building, too embarrassed at the implications to even try and correct them.

    It is, of course, Minseok who opens the door when Jongin knocks, nervous for reasons that he doesn’t understand.

    Minseok seems to have taken his own rule of ‘no formal dress required’ to the extreme, wearing an old, ragged Man U hoodie that he’s had longer than Jongin’s known him, and a pair of faded jeans so baggy that only the tips of his white-socked toes poke out. The entire ensemble seems to swallow him, making him look smaller than he really is, and his cheeks are even rounder with the hood of Man U memorabilia pulled tight over his head.

    Jongin thinks that the M members probably told him that he was adorable before they were unceremoniously kicked out of their own dorm, but when Jongin sees Minseok the first word that pops into his head is ‘beautiful’.

    Minseok grins like Jongin said it out loud (Jongin is seventy-three percent sure that he did no such thing), taking in the younger boy’s own outfit - plain black pajama bottoms and a neon orange t-shirt, both of which Jongin agonized over before picking out - and bare feet before saying “pizza’s on the way. What movie did you get?”

    In response, Jongin holds up the DVD case that he’d nearly forgotten in his room, and Minseok snatches it out of his hand, practically squealing at the choice (apparently he’s been wanting to see it for ages, whatever it is) before grabbing Jongin by the wrist and pulling him into the M dorm.

    “You want some popcorn until the pizza gets here?” Minseok asks as soon as he closes the door behind them, and Jongin takes a moment to appreciate the fact that Minseok knows him so well.
    “Obviously,” Jongin answers, watching as Minseok’s grin widens considerably. He follows his hyung into the kitchen, jumping up on the counter and swinging his legs back and forth idly as Minseok gets a bag of popcorn from the top cupboard (he and Yixing must’ve gotten bored and rearranged everything again since the last time Jongin was there) and puts it in the microwave before spotting where Jongin has made his perch and swatting his thigh in a silent attempt to get him to remove himself.

    Jongin doesn’t, because Jongin likes the adorable face Minseok makes when he sees something he deems ‘unsanitary’, and Minseok doesn’t bother to try again.

    They make small talk until the microwave buzzes - a loud, obnoxious sound that cuts Jongin off mid-sentence when he’s telling Minseok about the impromptu dance-off between Sehun and Baekhyun that took place earlier in the day.

    “I don’t believe you,” Minseok says through loud peals of laughter when Jongin finishes with the punchline (‘and then Baekhyun won”), his back turned towards the adjacent counter and his broad shoulders shaking with mirth as he pours the popcorn into a bowl. Jongin knows that he won’t put in any salt or butter thanks to their diets, but when he reminds Minseok to add extra cheese powder, Minseok waves him off with an airy hand and an “I know, I know, I’m not finished yet” that makes Jongin’s stomach twist into adoring knots simply because Minseok does know.

    When Minseok turns around with the popcorn bowl pressed into his chest, eyes twinkling and a smile teasing the corners of his lips, Jongin’s mouth goes dry and he has to take a second to remind himself that this is ‘manly bro bonding time’, not ‘a date’.

    It’s a sobering thought, but Jongin doesn’t allow himself to be discouraged.

    They both settle on the living room couch - bowl of popcorn sitting on a cushion between them - and keep up a conversation until the doorbell rings, the playful bickering broken only when Minseok tosses a piece of popcorn that hits Jongin square in the forehead with startling accuracy.

    They don’t get into a full blown popcorn fight, however, because Jongin would feel bad if Minseok had to vacuum all of the excess cheese powder off of the couch cushions.

    It’s Minseok that gets up to pay for their pizza - Jongin is ninety-five percent sure that he sees Minseok take Jongdae’s wallet out of his back pocket instead of his own - and after thanking the pizza delivery boy for his hard work, Jongin watches as he sets two separate boxes and a two liter of coke on the living room table.

    Jongin runs off to get them plates and cups and to put the now empty popcorn bowl in the sink while Minseok sets up the food and the movie.

    When Jongin gets back into the living room (cups stacked and swaying precariously on top of the plates with every step he takes) he sees an open pizza box on the table in front of where he’d just been sitting, and his eyes light up when, upon closer inspection, he finds chicken, pineapple, and jalepenos decorating his own personal pizza.

    “So easy to please,” Minseok teases, snatching the cups and plates out of Jongin’s hands before they fall and shatter into a million tiny pieces on the floor that he’ll undoubtedly be forced to clean up.

    Minseok gets comfortable on the couch as soon as the food is passed out between them, pulling his legs up onto the cushion and hunching over immediately to take a large bite from his pepperoni and banana pepper pizza. Jongin takes it upon himself to turn off the lights and hit ‘play’ on the remote before sitting down as well.

    He’s maybe a little closer to Minseok than before - an inch or two at most - and it’s not as close as he’d like to be, but it will do.

    If Minseok notices he doesn’t act like it, and they end up talking all the way through the previews (mostly about the previews, movies that have long since come out but that neither have had the time to watch). Jongin doesn’t pay the television screen any attention until it’s time to start the movie, too transfixed on watching the way Minseok hides his mouth behind his hand whenever he laughs, half-chewed food managing to sneak into the spotlight before Minseok can cover it up, and Jongin knows he should be at least a little disgusted at the sight. It’s just that it’s Minseok, and nothing Minseok does is disgusting.

    The remaining pizza has gone cold by the time the movie actually starts, and Minseok makes Jongin pause it right at the opening scene so that he can put away the leftovers for the rest of their band mates to consume later (“Jongdae should get at least a little of what he paid for, I guess”). Jongin’s only contribution is to turn on the lights so that Minseok can see where he’s going before he falls back onto the couch, stomach full to the point of bursting and mouth still aching slightly from the burn of Jalepeno juice on his tongue.

    When Minseok sits back down, bringing his legs back up to the couch and resting his chin on his knees, he’s a tiny bit closer to Jongin. It’s a seven inch distance at most, but with the returning darkness and the light from the television screen lighting up his bundled form, Jongin thinks it feels more like a mile.

    They finally settle down during the opening credits. Jongin can’t find it in himself to pay attention as an explosion from the speakers makes the tiny apartment vibrate, keeping his head forward as if watching, when in reality he’s staring at Minseok out of the corner of his eye.

    Minseok in turn stares transfixed at the screen, eyes lighting up and lips twitching upwards with every resounding ‘boom’ that fills in the silence. His arms tighten imperceptibly around his folded legs when gunfire sounds before relaxing once more, every loud pop makes him twitch and then grin immediately after, his tongue poking out between his teeth in excitement.

    Every time Minseok rearranges himself so that he can lean forward to grab his coke off of the table, Jongin steals a quick glance at the back of his head - copper hair still hidden by the hood of his over-sized jacket - and wonders if ‘manly bro bonding time’ includes cuddling.

    It’s one of the times that Minseok is leaning back into the couch after taking a drink of his soda, legs spread out instead of bunched together as if Minseok got tired of moving around so much, that Jongin sees his hand fall thoughtlessly onto cushion beside him.

    Jongin is still pretending like he’s interested in the movie, his head set forward and unmoving, but he manages to fix his gaze longingly onto Minseok’s free hand.

    Jongin really wants to hold Minseok’s hand. It’s a sudden, overpowering urge that takes him by surprise, but Jongin is pretty sure he’s never wanted anything more in his entire life. He wants to thread their fingers together - see pale intertwined with tan - wants to run his thumb over the backs of Minseok’s red-tinged knuckles, wants to trace the lines of Minseok’s palm with his nails until Minseok is looking at him the same way he’s currently looking at the television screen.

    Jongin wants Minseok to be enraptured by him, just like he’s enraptured by Minseok.

    He feigns needing to use the bathroom, uses it as an excuse to get up just so that he can sit back down, closer to Minseok once again without trying to be obvious about his intentions. Minseok seems entirely oblivious, tiny white teeth glowing slightly from the light of the paused screen as he shoots Jongin a welcoming grin upon Jongin’s return.

    They turn the movie back on and soon after a part comes on that makes Minseok let out a boisterous laugh. Jongin laughs too, because whatever it was is probably funny and it’ll seem weird if he doesn’t, and when he sees Minseok glance at him out of the corner of his eye, he immediately looks back. Minseok gently nudges his shoulder against Jongin’s, still smiling brightly, Jongin minutely readjusts his position, and suddenly their arms are pressed together and Minseok’s hand is an inch away from his own.

    The first time that Jongin reaches for it, he fails spectacularly. He manages to brush their fingers together, skin tingling pleasantly from the contact, before the fear of rejection has him retracting uneasily. He chances a glance at Minseok, but the action goes unnoticed.

    He tries again a few minutes later, casually reaching up to scratch his nose before letting his hand carefully fall next to Minseok’s. The backs of their hands press against each other for a split second before Minseok reaches forward for his drink again. Jongin mimics the motion, waiting until Minseok’s cup is back on the table and his hand is back on the couch before putting down his own coke and letting the tip of his pinky touch Minseok’s second knuckle.

    Minseok’s eyes are twinkling mischievously now, but Jongin’s pretty sure that’s really just the reflection from the television screen.

    Taking a deep breath and gathering all of his courage, Jongin nervously grabs hold of Minseok’s fingers, doing his best to seem like it’s all innocent fidgeting even as his face grows hot. Minseok doesn’t openly acknowledge the change, but Jongin catches him shift slightly until their sides are pressed a little closer together.

    His confidence growing and butterflies fluttering excitedly around in his stomach, Jongin begins playing with Minseok’s fingers. He revels in the softness of Minseok’s hands, his thin fingers and the tiny little scars littering his knuckles from schoolyard fights. It’s not much - or, well, not as much as Jongin wants - but for now Jongin is content. He’s still trying to be stealthy after all, and decides he’ll wait about half an hour before going all in.

    It’s Minseok that interlocks their fingers and presses their palms together not even a full minute later.

    Despite himself, Jongin jumps in surprise at the contact, looks over at Minseok only to see Minseok’s already staring back. The lights from the movie are dancing shadows across his face and he’s giving Jongin a smile that’s positively impish, tiny white teeth catching the corner of his bottom lip and eyes crinkling up in amusement.

    Jongin’s heart begins pounding in his chest, his entire body feels over-heated and it’s getting a little hard to breathe as the realization hits him.

    Minseok knew. He’s known this entire time what Jongin was trying to do, has known and thought it was funny, and maybe he’d wanted Jongin to work for it. But...but Jongin clearly remembers earlier in the day, shouting ‘it’s manly bro bonding time, not a date!’ at Sehun and Baekhyun during private rehearsals.

    It’s not a date.

    Minseok’s grin widens and he begins leaning toward Jongin and Jongin promptly freezes, mouth uncomfortably dry and heart speeding up to a tempo that not even Kyungsoo could beatbox.

    Minseok’s going to kiss him. Minseok’s going to kiss him and the world is going to implode because surely one person can’t have all of their dreams come true in the short span of two years.

    Jongin squeezes his eyes shut, not wanting to see the apocalypse, and a moment later he feels something soft and sweet press against - not his lips - but his cheek.

    The world doesn’t stop turning, and Jongin peeks an eye open. Minseok’s lips linger against Jongin’s skin, he squeezes their fingers together until Jongin thinks that he might be the one to implode, before finally he pulls away.

    “I thought you’d never catch on,” Minseok admits, barely heard over the sound of explosions in the background though his sheepish smile speaks volumes.

    Jongin lets out a breath he didn’t realize he’d been holding. “You hardly made it easy, hyung,” he points out, and in the dim light he thinks that there’s a chance Minseok might be blushing even harder than Jongin is.

    Minseok doesn’t respond, but his eyes are twinkling and his grin is maybe a little sadistic. Jongin doesn’t freeze when Minseok brushes his lips against Jongin’s cheek again - he’s sixty-seven percent sure that it’s a first place prize for figuring everything out, belated thought it may have been - before curling further up on the couch, up on Jongin. His knees are sitting on Jongin’s thighs, head fitting comfortably on Jongin’s shoulder, their palms still pressed together and Jongin’s cheek still tingling pleasantly.

    The movie is still playing but it’s been forgotten in lieu of a more exciting adventure, and honestly Jongin doesn’t even know what the name of it is, let alone what it’s called.

    As they cuddle up to each other, comfortable and easy like they’ve been doing it for years, Jongin wonders how long he can get away with not telling Sehun and Baekhyun that apparently ‘manly bro bonding time’ really does translate into ‘a date’.