I get all tongue-tied and twisted I can't explain what I'm feeling

Have I Seen You Before

 

 

 

 

 

Stephanie didn’t text her for three days. At first Jessica thought it was a fluke when she checked her phone and was not greeted with a good morning text attached to a string of emojis.  After that moment when Stephanie’s lips had grazed Jessica’s cheek, she hadn’t been able to get the other girl out of her head.  She had barely been able to fall asleep that night for god’s sake.  So the disappointment that welled in her chest made her press her face against her pillow and groan in frustration.  Jessica was tempted to try to fall back asleep to ignore the nervous feeling in the pit of her stomach but of course that was impossible.  The rest of the day continued with her constantly checking her phone, black shadows under her eyes.  Her friends gave her concerned glances as she would shrug off any questions with a terse: “I’m fine.”  

 

 

Jessica thought that her pathetic pining would get better as time went on. But of course each day that passed only worsened her desperation to see Stephanie. And her mind was going a hundred miles per minute, processing the last time they had met.  Was Stephanie interested in her romantically? That’s what a kiss meant right? Or maybe it was a platonic thing? When she lived in America she remembered when friends would kiss each other on the cheek. But still why had she dragged her behind a bus bench to do that? 

 

 

“Jung Sooyeon!”

 

 

Jessica jumped in her seat, glasses practically sliding off her face as her teacher sternly slapped her hand against the board.

 

 

“I don’t care how hung over you are, you better be ready for this exam or you won’t be passing my class!”

 

 

Jessica hung her head and mumbled her apology, silently cursing Stephanie’s strong hold on her mind.  

 

 

At least in the library Jessica could sit and pretend to be studying as her mind drifted off to the last time she had seen Stephanie.  She absentmindedly tapped her pencil against her anatomy text books, eyes fluttering closed as her mind tried to stay perfectly blank.  Suddenly her phone buzzed and it was embarrassing how fast she lurched forward, past her water bottle and pencil case, clutching the iPhone like it was her life line. Jessica nearly smacked herself in the face as she pressed the phone against her ear.

 

 

“Hello?” She ignored a dirty look thrown at her by a male student surreptitiously snacking on a bag of shrimp chips in his lap.

 

 

“Unnie!”

 

 

“Oh, Soojung-ah.”

 

 

“You sound really excited to see me.”

 

 

Jessica guiltily bit her lip as she pulled her glasses off, rubbing her eyes tiredly.

 

 

“No, I am. Really. Unnie just has not been getting enough sleep, that’s all.”  That wasn’t entirely a lie, Jessica thought wryly.

 

 

“It’s fine, Unnie.  You should take a break from studying or your eyesight will get worse. Soon no one will want to marry you with your huge glasses.”

 

 

Jessica rolled her eyes as she leaned back in her chair.

 

 

“So did you call me because you missed me, Soojung-ah?  Or did you call to make me feel gross as usual?”

 

 

Despite the droll tone a smile twisted Jessica’s lips.  Soojung was so busy with promotions for f(x) and variety show appearances that calls from her were rare.  Despite the infrequency in which Jessica saw her younger sister, she made an effort to send her text messages or pictures to keep a bond existing.  Whenever they saw each other, Jessica always felt glad that they could hug and things could be normal for a little while.  

 

 

“Mom said she texted you about picking me up today? The group got interviewed on a radio show and I wanted to have dinner with you guys tonight.”

 

 

Jessica frowned as she realized that the texts from her mother that she had been ignoring were far more important than “Pick up some groceries.”

 

 

“Okay I’m on my way.  When does the broadcast end for you guys?”

 

 

“Ten minutes ago.”

 

 

Jessica groaned as she began to stuff her unopened books into her bag, phone wedged between her shoulder and ear.  She ignored the irritated sound the guy with the shrimp chips made as her chair squeaked against the floor. 

 

 

“I’ll be right there, just hang tight for a little while longer.”

 

 

“Alright. Love you, Unnie.”

 

 

“Love you too!” And then Jessica all but ran out of the library, feeling the judgmental gaze of shrimp chip guy the whole run out.  

 

 

 

 

************************************

 

 

 

 

Jessica was still out of breath as she entered the MBC broadcasting lobby.  She had to shove past fans lined up outside the building and nearly ended up flat on her back.  Someone had practically mauled her, screaming that she looked like some person named Taeyeon.  Luckily she had mustered a withering glance and got the overeager fan to let go of her arm.  With a sigh she tiredly rubbed the back of her neck as she met f(x)’s manager in the lobby.  The taller man gave her a harried wave, running long fingers through his hair as he led her through a turnstile to the main radio studio.  

 

 

Of course it was the kind of day where Jessica was impaled in the gut by one of the silver bars.  She wheezed and she could tell the man was practically rolling his eyes in exasperation.  When she got out of the turnstile’s uncomfortable reach she tried to pretend like nothing had happened, ambling forward as she shoved her glasses up the bridge of her nose.

 

 

“You two are so different,” he muttered quietly as they walked toward elevators.  She leaned forward and pressed the up button before he could, her cheeks puffing a bit in satisfaction.

 

 

“Because I seem like a total klutzy dork?” she drolly observed with a quirked eyebrow. 

 

 

“Oh I know Krystal is a klutzy dork too, I definitely have been around her enough to know that one.  Just the way you act.  It’s so similar... yet different?”

 

 

“Well we are sisters,” Jessica said as she watched the number linger on the third floor.  

 

 

“True.  It’s funny how she’s living a life as an idol and has such a normal sister.  You go to Yonsei right?”

 

 

“Yes. I’m a medical student.”

 

 

“Wow. It’s impressive that you’re both going to college.”

 

 

She smiled politely.  Suddenly the lull in conversation was filled with the distinct sound of a song Jessica knew far too well.

 

 

“The Twinke... The Twinkle.. The Twinkle-”

 

 

“I’m sorry, Jessica-ssi, but I have to take this.  Can you find your way? It’s the first room to your right on the third floor.”

 

 

“Yes I can. Thank you.”

 

 

The man gave her a quick bow before shuffling off, phone sandwiched between his ear and shoulder as he dug frantically in his pockets.  

 

 

Sighing, Jessica glanced up and saw the elevator finally was moving down to the first floor.  She nodded absentmindedly as the elevator dinged and she stepped to the side for the person getting out.  At first it didn’t register who the girl was with her head bent down, phone clasped tightly in her hands.  But then she looked up and Jessica took a step back in surprise at seeing Stephanie.  Jessica felt a blush rise in her cheeks as her heart pounded pathetically at the sight of the other girl.  

Stephanie’s eyes widened comically and the tight grip on her phone slackened.  

 

 

“J-Jessi?”    

 

 

“Why haven’t you texted me?” she asked without thinking. As soon as she said it she winced. God she sounded like a lovesick teenager.

 

 

“I was waiting for you to text me!”  

 

 

“But you always text me first!”

 

 

Stephanie puffed out her cheeks and Jessica tried not to think about how cute it looked as the other girl put her hands on her hips for emphasis. 

 

 

“One of my friends said it was time I let you react first. Since I kissed you and all.”

 

 

Jessica suddenly felt like the air conditioning was not up high enough.  Without thinking she nervously played with the button of her cardigan as Stephanie took a step toward her.  

 

 

“K-kiss?”

 

 

Stephanie frowned at the question, eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

 

 

“Yeah, I was pretty sure what we did counted as a kiss.”

 

 

“It wasn’t on the lips though,” Jessica muttered without thinking. As soon as she said it, she covered with her hands, the heat from her cheeks warming her fingers.  She lowered her head in embarrassment when she took in Stephanie’s eyes widening comically.

 

 

“I-I’m sorry that was really forward of me, I didn’t-”

 

 

“I only kiss someone on the lips after a proper date.”

 

 

The words didn’t really sink in as Jessica dropped her hands to her sides.  It was only when Stephanie looked down, rocking on her heels nervously, that Jessica felt emboldened. This girl was just as nervous as she was.  The thought made her smile and without thinking she reached forward, grabbing one of Stephanie’s hands.

 

 

“Go out with me then.”

 

 

“W-what?”

 

 

Jessica’s grin widened as she felt an incredible lightness fill her chest.

 

 

“I’ll text you the time and place.  Let’s go have a proper date and a proper kiss.”

 

 

“Jessi!” Despite the scandalized look on her face, Stephanie was smiling again, a faint blush coloring her cheeks.  

 

 

“I have to go pick up my sister but I’ll text you.” Jessica gave Stephanie’s hand a final squeeze as she brushed past her to get into the still open elevator.  She reached forward and pressed the number three on the button panel.  Tossing her pony tail over her shoulder, Jessica grinned at Stephanie.  The other girl definitely had a rosy tinge coloring her cheeks as she lifted her hand for a wave.

 

 

“You better text me back, Jessica!”

 

 

She just smiled as the elevator doors closed.  Quickly she pulled her phone from her jacket pocket and typed out a text.  Jessica couldn’t steel her expression as she bounced on the balls of her feet, waiting for a reply.  Her heart was pounding as the doors slid open and she walked to the radio studio.  She walked toward the glass window and tapped lightly, getting the attention of a staff member fiddling with a mic.  The bespectacled girl rushed out and tilted her head curiously at her.  She probably was wondering if any rabid fans had somehow made it into the building and bypassed security.

 

 

“I’m Krystal Jung’s sister,” Jessica mumbled in lieu of explanation.  The girl’s eyes narrowed suspiciously in response.  

 

 

Sighing Jessica looked past the girl at the radio host who was scanning a script.  

 

 

“The manager oppa said this was the room that Soojung- I mean Krystal was in? I’m supposed to pick her up so that she can have dinner with our family.”

 

 

The exasperated sentence got the attention of the radio host and she glanced at Jessica curiously, sweeping her dyed blonde hair to the side.  She was petite with a small girlish face and wide expressive eyes.  If she hadn’t been sitting in the radio host’s chair, Jessica would have assumed that she was a high school student.  

 

 

“Is everything okay over there, Siyeun?”

 

 

The girl with the glasses straightened and her face changed from skeptical to placating in an instant.

 

 

“Someone claims to know Krystal, Taeyeon-ssi.”

 

 

The radio host named Taeyeon pursed her lips curiously at the words as her eyes narrowed in on Jessica. 

 

 

“So you’re a relative of Krystal’s?”

 

 

Jessica nodded as she brushed past Siyeun, entering into the radio studio.  

 

 

“Did you interview her earlier?”

 

 

“Mmhmm.  I was interviewing f(x) with a friend and the show ended about ten minutes ago.  Of course their interview ended nearly 

half an hour ago so she has been hanging out in the back room,” Taeyeon gestured behind her toward a closed door.  “Last time I heard, she was napping.”

 

 

Jessica mouth twitched.  Ah Soojung-ah, taking after her older sister.

 

 

“That’s good to hear that she’s getting some rest for once,” Jessica murmured as she approached the desk, pressing the heel of 

her hand against the wood.

 

 

“We idols have a tough life of minimal sleep unfortunately.  The make-up can only hide the bags under our eyes.”  Taeyeon leaned back in her chair with a wan smile.

 

 

Jessica’s brow furrowed and she took a step back as she studied the girl in front of her with a fresh look.

 

 

“Wait, you’re an idol?”

 

 

Taeyeon’s face creased and it almost looked like she was insulted that Jessica had not recognized her.  And then she burst into hearty laughter, flinging her head back as she muffled her loud chuckle with her hand.  Jessica flushed at the gesture but waited, ignoring the warmth in her cheeks.  

 

 

“Sorry, sorry,” Taeyeon gasped, making a placating gesture with her free hand.

 

 

Jessica cast an uncertain glance over her shoulder at Siyeun but the girl was already busying herself with cleaning up.  She was 

pointedly ignored.  

 

 

“I’m not exactly known for my humor,” Jessica dryly pointed out as the hysterical laughs died down.

 

 

“Oh I’m sorry, it’s just been forever since I haven’t recognized with my make-up on and everything.  Plus since you’re Krystal’s sister, I was just surprised you didn’t recognize me because we both are signed with SM.”

 

 

Jessica nodded and lowered her gaze to the table.

 

 

“I usually just go to Soojung’s performances and then leave afterward.”

 

 

Taeyeon let out another amused sound.

 

 

“Gosh, you’re so honest.  People like you are rare in this world.”

 

 

Jessica shrugged a shoulder.  

 

 

“Um, Taeyeon-ssi, I’m going to go get Soojung now.  It was... nice meeting you.”

 

 

Taeyeon nodded with a smile.

 

 

“It was nice meeting you too, Jessica-ssi.  Hopefully the next time you see Krystal perform, you’ll stick around and see my group 

too.”

 

 

Jessica bowed her head a little as she walked around the girl and through the door.  The room was small, clearly a waiting room for guests.  It had no windows, only a small couch and a small chair.  Sprawled out on the couch with her legs hanging over the overstuffed arm was Soojung.  Her hair was covering her face but was visible to Jessica, slightly open and making quiet snores.  

 

 

With a sigh, Jessica sat on the couch arm not occupied by Soojung’s ridiculously long legs.

 

 

“You’ll catch flys with that open mouth of yours, Jung Soojung,” chided Jessica softly. She reached down and lightly brushed a few soft locks of hair to the side.  Even though she was sleeping, Jessica could see the bags under her younger sister’s eyes.  Something clenched in her chest and she had to grit her teeth as she continued to gently Soojung’s head.  

 

 

Suddenly the other girl let out a quiet moan and shifted under Jessica’s hand.  Opening an eye, Soojung stretched her arms up with a large yawn.

 

 

“Yah, you have to sleep at home.  Your back will be ruined if you sleep on these lumpy couches for too long.”

 

 

“Mm, okay,” she mumbled sleepily as she shifted into a sitting position, rubbing her eyes with her fingers.  Jessica just sighed and grabbed her younger sister’s hands.

 

 

“Don’t do that, you’ll ruin your face more than it already is.”

 

 

Soojung made a face and glared at Jessica.  She merely laughed and rose to her feet.

 

 

“Ready to eat some food? Mom said she is grilling some beef since you’re having dinner with us.”

 

 

That seemed to get Soojung’s attention as she scrambled to stand.  She started to frantically look for her purse and jacket as Jessica watched with an amused smile.  

 

 

“Unnie, why did you come so late? What if Dad eats it all?”  

 

 

“If he does we can always buy some more.”

 

 

“But then we will have to wait! Unnie, I’m starving and I wanna sleep!”

 

 

Jessica smile froze a bit on her face because she knew that Soojung wasn’t being dramatic.  The girls got barely three hours of sleep especially when they were promoting.  

 

 

“You can sleep on my shoulder for the ride back, I promise,” Jessica said as she slung an arm over Soojung’s shoulder.  She ignored the fact that she had to stand on her tip toes because her little sister was now much taller than her. 

 

 

“Okay, Unnie!”  Jessica feigned disgust at the sickly sweet way Soojung had just spoken in.  As they started to walk out the door Jessica’s phone buzzed.  She tried to feign casual interest but her fingers trembled a little as she saw Stephanie's message response.

 

 

I would love to!  Cannot wait <33

 

 

“Who’s that?  Did you get a girlfriend, Unnie?”

 

 

Jessica felt her cheeks heat up and she glared at her sister.

 

 

“Yah, Jung Soojung, stop asking questions.  W-we can talk about this later!”

 

 

Soojung’s face twisted into a smirk. 

 

 

“Unnie.  You’re blushing.”

 

 

Jessica braced her free hand against the door as she turned the friendly arm she had over her sister’s shoulders into a head lock.  Even though Soojung was bigger than her, Jessica could \ get the upper hand.  At least for a little while.  

 

 

When she had enough of Soojung gasping and squirming, she released the younger girl.

 

 

“Unnie, what was that for? I’m just being a good and supportive little sister!”

 

 

“More like a nosey little sister,” Jessica muttered with an eye roll, pointedly ignoring Soojung’s pout.  She was about to reach for the door knob when Soojung lurched forward and snatched the phone from Jessica’s grasp.  Her reaction was instantaneous.  She had Soojung tackled on the couch in mere seconds.  But of course the other girl could still read.

 

 

“Oh, Unnie, who is Stephanie?  It seems serious since she put those hearts there.  I think she’s super into you!”

 

 

Jessica practically growled as she pawed at Soojung, desperately trying to pin one of her arms down.  

 

 

“Yah, Jung Soojung, if you keep this up I’ll make sure you will only have a salad for dinner tonight!”  

 

 

The threat rang true because Soojung stopped her struggling and obediently dropped the phone into Jessica’s hands.  She stood and straightened her rumpled clothes.  Slipping her phone into her pocket she walked forward and opened the door.

 

 

“Come on.  I’ll tell you about her later.”

 

 

“You better.  Because I will definitely not forget about it.”

 

 

Jessica just rolled her eyes and shoved her sister out the door.  

 

 

“You need to treat your Unnie with respect!”

 

 

As Jessica followed a stumbling Soojung back into the radio studio she was met with an amused Taeyeon putting on a jacket, 

clearly about to leave.  

 

 

“Oh hello Taeyeon-sunbae,” Soojung murmured with a bow.  

 

 

Taeyeon just smiled and gestured at Jessica.

 

 

“Were you being rude to your older sister, Krystal?”

 

 

The other girl blushed at the question as she shook her head.  Jessica felt protective of Soojung as her shyness restricted her younger sister’s easy laugh and smile.  

 

 

“She was just reading a text message and misunderstood a few things,” Jessica easily replied, slinging her arm over Soojung’s 

shoulders again.  “Nosey is different than rude, I suppose.”

 

 

Taeyeon chuckled at the words.

 

 

“Ah I see.  Well have a good night, Soojung.  It’s nice to see you have such an interesting, Unnie.”

 

 

“Thank you Taeyeon-sunbae!”

 

 

Jessica just smiled and bowed as she tugged Soojung forward.  When they were outside the studio, Soojung leaned forward to press the down button for the elevator as Jessica checked her phone.  

 

 

“Are you going to respond, Unnie?”

 

 

Jessica pointedly ignored the question as she opened the message.  She quickly typed out a reply with one hand.  As her thumb hovered over the send button she heard Soojung sigh.

 

 

“What?”

 

 

“You should add a heart.  It shows sincerity!”

 

 

Jessica rolled her eyes.

 

 

“I don’t want to seem desperate, Soojung-ah.”

 

 

“But you don’t want to be cold either.  Be warm and friendly, not an ice princess.”

 

 

Biting her lip, Jessica side-eyed Soojung but begrudgingly added something to the end.  Finally she pressed send with a relieved 

sigh.

 

 

Me too! <3

 

 

 

 

 

A/N Sorry about the long wait on this one, I was struggling with how to end this chapter for such a long time. I hope you enjoyed! Jungsis antics was so much fun to write!