t h r e e

Evanescence

“I know where Liyin is.”

Jongdae almost hesitates at the sound of his lover’s name. “Quit playing games. What are your real intentions?”

The mandarin comes off his tongue quicker than he realizes, almost naturally.

The man on the ground keeps his eyes tense on Jongdae. “I swear to you, I’m not a bad person.”

“Prove it,” Jongdae tests bitterly.

“You have no recollection of what happened last night, after dropping Liyin off,” the Chinese man says knowingly. “Nobody else knows who Liyin is and everything about her has completely disappeared as if she doesn’t exist. Am I wrong?”

Jongdae tenses his jaw with his eyes never leaving the Chinese man. “How do you know me?”

The man’s expression remains stoic. “You do, I made you forget. I’m Zhoumi. Jongdae, you can trust me!”

Something about the way that man calls his voice makes Jongdae want to trust him but he needs something that will convince him for sure.

“The envelope I stuck in your door,” Zhoumi says, reading the younger one’s mind. “That is the only proof left that Liyin is real.”

 

Somehow Jongdae finds himself at his front door with the white envelope in his hand and Zhoumi beside him, massaging this neck. Zhoumi motions for him to open it up so he does and a picture of him and Liyin pop out. It was taken from their first date at the amusement park. Liyin sports a pair of pink Minnie Mouse ears while Jongdae sports an all black pair of Mickey’s.They look shy, carefully looking each other as it was Kyungsoo who managed to capture this candid shot of them. His brows furrow, turning to the tall Chinese male.

“I don’t get it.”

“That’s why I’m here,” Zhoumi says.

 

They end up a nearby cafe next since Jongdae didn’t feel comfortable inviting the strange man in. It’s been an extremely long day and Jongdae doesn’t see it coming to an end anytime soon either. He stares at the order of caffeine in front of him. There’s a pretty design on top of the warm drink but it goes untouched. Zhoumi on the other hand has half his mug gone and is in the middle of wiping away his foam mustache.

“What is going on?” Jongdae asks impatiently.

Zhoumin takes a moment before leaning back in his chair. “Where should I start?”

“Where is Liyin?” Jongdae says at once. That is the only question that has been bugging him all day.

“Cheungdu,” Zhoumi replies with ease. “She’s at home.”

“Why?”

Zhoumi sighs, leaning in to lower his voice. “I know you won’t believe me and it won’t make sense but trust me.” He pauses. “Your timing is off. You two were not supposed to meet yet but you did, which changed everything.”

Jongdae shakes his head. “What changed? What do you mean we were not supposed to meet?”

“Do you remember how you two met?”

He gives Zhoumi a startled look. “Of course.”

 

Jongdae was leaving his studio late one night when he ran into her, literally. He remembers her flustered face and the red flush on her cheeks. His was instantly captivated by her eyes but the moment only lasted momentarily before she dashed off. It was then he realized someone was chasing after her and for some reason, Jongdae clasps her wrist and pulls her into his studio just as her chaser sprints passed the studio door. They wait in silence for a few minutes before deciding it was now safe. She squirms and he releases her wrist with a small gasp. Jongdae flickers the lights on and once again he’s met with those beautiful brown eyes. That was how their first meeting went, unconventional but definitely memorable.

 

“That man that chased her,” Zhoumi continues, breaking him out of his past. “You remember who he is?”

Jongdae nods and chills creep up his spine at the thought of him. “Her ex-boyfriend. Are you saying this whole thing has to do with him?”

The older male lowers his eyes and Jongdae feels his heart drop in horror. Her ex-boyfriend was not a good man. He abused her with is dirty mouth, prevented her from following her dreams and when Liyin wanted out of the poisonous relationship he snapped. He followed her to South Korea and followed her around like a prey chasing its victim. Once Jongdae became her backbone, she filed a restraining order against him which made him vanish for the last two years.

 

“Yesterday,” Zhoumi takes a deep breath. “Yesterday, you were supposed to die.”

 

Jongdae feels the air getting out of him as those words hit him. His headache comes into focus again and he flinches slightly, raising a hand to massage the pounding area. Zhoumi takes the paper bag on the table, searching out the medication Jongdae was prescribed and hands it over to him. Jongdae gives him a look before eventually taking the bottle. He takes two of the pills as said on the labels and swallows it down with a gulp of water. As much has he doesn’t want to. Zhoumi continues once he thinks Jongdae is stable enough.

 

“That’s what I mean by your timings were wrong. You weren’t supposed to meet her that night. I don’t want to say it, but that man was supposed to do horrible things to her that landed him behind bars, which means he would be away from her forever. But since you met her, he didn’t. He didn’t land behind bars like he was supposed to and instead was left to roam around this city, watching from a distance while he planned on doing horrible things to the both of you.”

 

Zhoumi gives Jongdae a moment to take in the news before continuing. “Do you need me to switch to Korean? Maybe it’ll be more convenient for you.”

“No,” Jongdae shakes his head. “I understand, just continue.”

“Yesterday, after you dropped her off. He was waiting for you. For some reason Liyin followed you down and instead of you…”

Zhoumi lowers his eyes and Jongdae understands. “How did it happen?”

“She was hit by his car.”

Jongdae can’t remember or recall any images but the thought of his love dying in front of his eyes from a car that was supposed to hit him instead was a thought he never wanted to have. It hurt more than anything in this world. His heart clenched and Jongdae just wanted to wake up from this nightmare.

 

“So, then,”Jongdae takes a moment to collect himself. “H-how did we end up here?”

“That’s when I come in,” Zhoumi says calmly. “You don’t remember now but a few hours ago, you did. I’m capable of seeing things that normal people can’t see. I can also do things that are deemed impossible as well. Last night, you came to me, covered in blood, begging me to do something.”

“So you brought her back to life?” Jongdae interrupts with a look of disbelief.

Zhoumi shakes his head. “No, she didn’t die...yet. I saved her before she did. My grandmother was like me and she taught me some things. I basically erased everything that happened, starting from the moment you two met.”

“H-how?” Jongdae is starting to think this whole thing is crazy now but who else can he confide in when they know nothing of her existence.

 

Zhoumi leans back. “Why do you think you have that pounding headache of yours? Somewhere in Cheungdu, Liyin is feeling the same one. I can’t disclose to you how I did it but what you need to understand is that when you are meant to meet or if you ever are supposed to, it will happen and if it does, it will be the correct timing.”

“So you’re saying if I never meet her, that’s it?” Jongdae scoffs. “This doesn’t make any sense. It’s not real!”

The Chinese male lowers his head. “Jongdae, all I did was just put things into how they’re supposed to be.”

Burying his head in his hands, Jongdae takes a while to calm himself down. “How do you...How do you just keep living? None of this makes sense.”

 

Through the cracks of his fingers, his eyes focus on their picture. He wonders if he’ll ever be able to see that gorgeous face again or hear her beautiful angelic voice. Jongdae already misses the way she would change from Korean to Mandarin in the middle of her sentences and her small pout whenever he would troll her. Never did he think he would never be able to see her again.

 

Grabbing his medication and picture, Jongdae storms out of the cafe. Zhoumi doesn’t follow him, knowing the man just needs to be alone. He’s already done what he’s supposed to do. Jongdae returns to his apartment and tosses everything in his hands onto the couch. Shutting out the world, he dips into his bed and hopes that when he wakes up, everything will go back to how it once was.

 

He dreams of her. It begins with their first meeting to their awkward first date, fail first kiss and many more of his favorite memories of her up to the last time he sent her off. Jongdae wakes up in the early morning with her smile still present in his eyes and laughter chiming in his ears.

 

All he sees is darkness. He doesn’t know what time it is but it doesn’t matter. Turning to his night stand, the picture on his desk still doesn’t have Liyin and that’s when everything starts to sink in. Zhoumi’s bizarre explanation is the one thing Jongdae cannot believe still but what else does he have left? His eyes sting with tears, continuously pouring out the side of his brown eyes. She is everywhere in his life so how does he just accept that fact that she’s supposed to be a complete stranger? How do you continuing living on like this?

 

Despite it being so early, Jongdae knew he wouldn’t be getting anymore sleep so he leaves the warmth of his bed to the bathroom and prepare for the long day ahead. He looks better than before but his eyes are just so hollow and out of life. The hot water relaxes his muscles that haven’t been able to relax since waking up yesterday morning. It soaks his hair that has grown long enough to cover his eyes. Jongdae remembers the way Liyin would nag him to cut his hair a little shorter while she brushed his bangs away with a pout. His heart starts to heat up once more and the tears come back again. The warm shower water washes them away as fast as they come but the pain refuses to cease.

 

Everything after that is a blur and before he realizes it, he’s sitting beside the Han River watching the sun as it rises. In his hand is the only picture left of them. His fingers run over her shy smile over and over, wishing that she’ll pop out at any second. Jongdae checks his phone once more, calling her number that doesn’t exist and sighs. Is this really the end?

 

Someone takes a seat next to him but he doesn’t turn knowing it’s not the one he wanted anyways.

“Hyung,” Jongdae calls and Zhoumi turns to him. “I’m guessing I use to call you that.”

Zhoumi nods, eyes focusing on the rising sun.. “Sometimes Ge. How are you feeling?”

He swallows. “I don’t want to believe it because then it’ll seem like I’m just giving up.”

“I spoke with her,” Zhoumi reveals and Jongdae turns to him with swollen red eyes. “She’s okay, Jongdae. She doesn’t remember anything but she’s okay.”

“Can I talk to her?” Jongdae begs at once. “Hyung, please.”

He lowers his head and Jongdae continues to beg already knowing the firm answer. Zhoumi whispers a regretful sorry to him. He places a hand on Jongdae’s shoulder that is shaking from his tears.

“I can’t,” Jongdae hiccups, eyes back on the photo. “I can’t be around you if you’re going to be like this, Hyung.”

“It’s not the way things are supposed to happen, Jongdae,” Zhoumi tells him through a sigh. “I’m sorry.”

Wiping away his tears, Jongdae shrugs his hand off as he stands up. “Please, don’t come find me again.”

“I understand,” Zhoumi says as Jongdae storms away.

 

2017

 

It’s spring time in Seoul and the cherry blossoms are in full bloom. Sitting by himself on a bench near the attraction, Jongdae has his notebook out, busily writing down lyrics that are begging to escape his mind. Occasionally he would look around, observing the crowd which he finds himself slightly frowning at the sight of couples. It’s been three years but the wound is still fresh and everyday he misses her like no other. He hasn’t spoken to Zhoumi since that morning by the river but that doesn’t mean he’s not tempted to call him. Everyday he hopes that he’ll run into her in some cafe or even bump into her in the streets but three years have already gone and passed with no sign of her. Sometimes he thinks she’s far off in China, in love with another man and possibly even planning to settle down. Maybe he’ll wait forever like an idiot but he’d rather live like this then live as if she never existed.

 

His phone rings with an ugly picture of Luhan flashing on the screen.

“Yes, Hyung?” Jongdae answers with a sigh.

“Yah, Hyung got a promotion, dinner’s on me tonight!”

Jongdae breaks into a smile at the thought of free food. “Oh yeah! Where to?”

“Chinatown baby!” Luhan laughs. “Yah, Hyung’s been so deprived of Chinese food lately. You remember that hotpot place we went once with Kris?”

“Yeah.”

“Okay, be there at seven or else,” Luhan growls before hanging up.

 

It’s been a while since Jongdae’s been to Chinatown. He’s sort of been avoiding it but at the same time wanting to visit in hopes that she’ll be here. It’s a rather shallow thought, thinking she’ll be in Chinatown since she’s Chinese but it somehow gives him hope. He walks along the streets, eyeing the stands that are doned in right red and gold designs. His mandarin has been slipping but Jongdae’s still able to make out most of the characters. Jongdae pauses outside of a stationery store when a stuffed bear catches his eye. ZItao’s birthday was coming up and being a grown man, he still loved stuffed animals. Laughing at the ridiculous idea, Jongdae shakes his head while continuing his way. His phone rings and he knows it’s someone calling to pester him although there is a good ten minutes before seven.

“What Zitao?” Jongdae grunts into the phone.

“Hyung, I’m lost,” he younger one whines cutely. “It’s been too long, Hyung are you there yet?”

He laughs, turning around to see if maybe he could catch a wandering Zitao somewhere. “I’m at a stationery shop. Yah, use your Chinese, it is Chinatown.”

Zitao scoffs on the other line. “Everyone here speaks Korean still, stay where you are, don’t move.”

“Fine,” Jongdae grunts. “But you better hurry or else Luh—.”

 

Jongdae almost stumbles over when he feels something hit him from behind. His phone goes flying and lands behind him. He hears a line of apologizes coming from a female and he bows continuously, only focusing on his phone and whiny Zitao on the line. A small hand picks up his phone, handing it over to him and that’s when he finally focuses on the person. Her eyes are brown and twinkling like the stars in the sky, the sky that he used to look at. She’s smiling with a red flush of embarrassment on her cheeks.

 

His heart beats erratically and time comes to a pause. His breath is cut short and entire boy captivated by the stunning beauty in front of his eyes. He’s found her.

 

Something changes in her eyes, recognition then confusion.

“Hi,” Jongdae somehow manages to breathe.

Her eyes widen slightly. “Um, hi?”

Clearing his throat, Jongdae slowly takes his phone back from her hand. He hears Zitao yelling something on the line but he ignores it and ends the call.

“Do...Have we met before?” The girl asks and Jongdae has to take a moment to hold himself back from calling her by name.

“Um, I-I don’t think so,” he says and it feels like he’s falling in love with her all over again. It doesn’t seem real at all. “I’m Jongdae, Kim Jongdae.”

He extends a hand out to her and she slightly hesitates before taking it. Her touch is the same, still electrifying as always.

“I’m Liyin, Zhang Liyin,” she smiles.

 

2019

 

“I think you need a haircut,” Liyin tells her boyfriend as she brushes his black hair out of his eyes. They’re seated on the couch in his living room with her legs thrown across his lap and hands tangled in his head.

Jongdae shakes his head and she pouts like how he predicted. “If I cut it then you won’t brush it out of my eyes anymore.
She gives him a playful slap to his shoulder, making him laugh at her cute reactions. They talk about random things, laughing at every other word until they’re out of breath. Knowing all her sensitive spots, Jongdae attempts to tickle her but Liyin’s quick instincts prevents him which leads to a full on wrestling match instead. Neither refuses to lose but their match comes to a quick end when he has her wrapped in his arms and legs.

 

“I won,” Jongdae laughs into her ears.

“Whatever,” she sighs, curling up next to him. She reaches out to brush his hair once more and he smiles. “Remember when you use to call me Nuna? I hated it so much.”

“Nuna,” Jongdae cooes and she flinches away but he pulls her closer with a giggle. “I’m just kidding.”

Liyin laughs. “I don’t know why, but when I first met you, I felt as if I had known you already. It was really weird.”

He continues smiling at her. “That is weird. I felt the same way too. Maybe it just means we’re meant to be together, forever and ever.”

“You think so?” She asks cutely and he can’t help but steal a kiss from her.

“I think so,” he breathes and she grins, soothing every bit of his heart.

 

Finally, everything feels right.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



 


Anyeong you! And this is the end. I'm sorry if it's disappointing. I never intended for this to be a long fic. I saw the prompt on a site and I was just so intrigued so I had to write something for it. I'm sorry if it seems a little rushed. Basically, their timings weren't right at first which messed everything up. If you guys have any questions just as in the comment section and I'll try my best to answer :)