Chapter 4

I Can Hear Your Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4zkeIltROk

Sung Si Kyung: Every Moment of You

============================================

The weekend passed by quickly, and Monday returned.

Jongsuk nervously fixed his dark green tie and exhaled. He looked at his reflection in the mirror and forced a wide smile. “Hi, Minjoo. I’m sorry about Friday. No, no, this isn’t it.” He shook his head, took a deep breath, and tried again. “Hi, Minjoo. I hope you had a good weekend. Listen, about Friday…” Jongsuk looked into the mirror and sighed with deflated shoulders.

This was never going to work. He wasn’t the type of guy to smile and greet people happily.

So why should he even attempt this ridiculous act?

The answer was easy. He wanted Minjoo’s trust.

He didn’t know why exactly. His heart stubbornly refused to reveal the reason.

Jongsuk slung his backpack over his shoulder, put his headphones around his neck, and left his apartment. When he arrived in class, Minjoo was not there yet. Three girls gossiped about who was dating who and didn’t even look up as he came in. Jongsuk sat at his desk and looked at Minjoo’s desk. He didn’t mean to pry, but he was curious. He glanced underneath her desk. Besides a couple sharpened pencils, a pink eraser, and a stack of line paper, it was empty.

“Hi, Jongsuk!” Sunah greeted. He looked up and locked eyes with her accidentally. He’s so my style. I hope he opens up more to me. She beamed hopefully. Why can’t she get the hint that I’m not interested in her? Nor will I ever be. He looked away and put his headphones over his ears.

Jongsuk was too preoccupied with music to realize that Minjoo had arrived. She pulled her chair back and sat down. He turned his head and slowly pulled his headphones off. She’s here. His heart fluttered with anticipation.

Minjoo didn’t look up, even if she felt his eyes probing her. She pretended to not notice anything and reviewed for the math test.

“Hey…” Jongsuk whispered softly.

Minjoo lifted her gaze in surprise. Is he talking to me?

Jongsuk softened at her doubtful thought. Yes, I’m talking to you, Park Minjoo.

Minjoo slowly turned her head and locked eyes with him. He could hear her wary thoughts and decided to confront her carefully so that she would not be frightened.

“Did you have a good weekend?” Jongsuk asked calmly.

Minjoo slowly nodded, but he knew what she was really thinking. Why is he asking me this? Is he bi-polar?

One corner of his lips hitched upwards. Bi-polar? That’s a new one.

The bell rang, and Teacher Lee appeared almost instantly. “Put everything away! It’s time for a test!”

The students moaned as they reluctantly put their notes away. Minjoo gripped onto her pencil and exhaled. Jongsuk glanced at her eyes and could hear her mantra of formulas spinning in her head. The other corner of his lips quirked upwards, and he was now fully smiling. The teacher gave them their exams, and they both began to solve the problems.

-----------

The day dragged on, and it was time for physical education class once again. Minjoo changed into her gym clothes and headed out to the blacktop. The sun shined in her face, and she grew too warm. Her white skin would be scorched for sure. Minjoo lifted her left hand to block the sunlight and cringed as a spark of sun hit her straight in the eye.

Jongsuk came out of the boys’ changing room and paused when he saw Minjoo. She was trying to block the sun with her hand, which was an impossible task given that the sun was much bigger than her.

“Hey, Jongsuk!” Sunah raced over and smiled brightly. “Nice weather, huh?”

“Yeah…” Jongsuk didn’t take his gaze off of Minjoo for one second.

“Let’s go over there.” Sunah boldly linked arms with him and led him towards her circle of friends.

“Oh, great. It’s the anti-social demi-god.” Hyunseok rolled his eyes.

“Be nice.” Sunah shot him a look.

“Why did you drag him over here anyways? He doesn’t need us. Remember? He doesn’t need any friends.” He snorted. She gave him a dark glare that commanded him to shut his mouth.

The PE instructor came out and blew his whistle to gain everyone’s attention. “Partner up for stretches!”

Minjoo’s shoulders sank. I’m going to be alone again.

“Want to be partners again?!” Sunah hopefully asked.

“No thanks.” Jongsuk twisted his arm away from her grasp and walked towards Minjoo.

Sunah stood there, crestfallen. “See? I told you he doesn’t need us.” Hyunseok snorted.

Minjoo uneasily looked around and chewed on her lower lip. Would she be without another partner again? She was embarrassed every time the instructor had to choose a partner for her. It just showed how pathetic and lonely she was-

“Want to be my partner?” A voice asked behind her.

Minjoo’s eyes widened. Is he talking to me? She spun around, and her eyes rounded even more.

Jongsuk looked her right in the eyes. “Do you mind if I’m your partner?”

Minjoo swallowed hard.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter