Chapter 15

I Can Hear Your Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pls2oSGsxwY

Kim Jinho: Hurt

===================================

Minjoo’s eyes snapped open.

She sat up with a startled expression and looked around the empty bedroom.

She looked down to see that Jongsuk’s bedside was empty.

He was not there. Not even his pillow had creases that showed evidence he had slept there last night.

Minjoo softly climbed off the bed and treaded into the living room. There was no sign of Jongsuk anywhere. He was not in the kitchen or the bathroom either. Where could he have gone? Minjoo wondered. She felt a sudden, deep ache in her chest.

Minjoo parted her lips in pain and clutched onto her shirt. Why…do I feel…so empty…and hurt? Panic flashed across her eyes, and her eyebrows furrowed slightly. Nothing could have happened to Jongsuk, right? She tried calling him, but he wasn’t answering. She opened the door and looked out. There was nobody in the hallway.

Minjoo came back inside and sank onto the sofa. She exhaled and looked out the window. Where are you, Lee Jongsuk? It’s not like you to disappear without telling me.

Minjoo heard her alarm clock go off. That meant she would have to get ready for school now, or she would be late for the graduation. I’m sure Jongsuk will come soon. Minjoo went to the bathroom and took a shower. She applied on light make-up and even curled her straight hair. She went back to the bedroom and opened the closet to get her uniform out. A box tumbled out and dropped on her feet.

Minjoo jumped in surprise and looked down. Isn’t that the box that Jongup got yesterday? I thought he said it was a prank. Why did he save it then? She bent down and picked up the box. She was about to turn it around when a few papers slipped out.

What are these? Minjoo thought they were random newspaper articles at first, but she realized the two girls from the news. Then she found the horrifying blackmail at the bottom of the pile.

Minjoo is next. She’ll be on the front page of the news tomorrow. Your girl will be famous AND dead!

Minjoo gasped and clasped her hand over . Jong was coming for her. He was going to come after her today. She started to shake uncontrollably and crawled back until she hit the bed. She wrapped her arms around herself and looked around the room as tears filled her eyes. Jongsuk, where are you? He’s coming for me. I need you right now. I need you my miracle.

The doorbell rang, and her head jerked up. Jongsuk?! She hoped.

Minjoo sprang up and scrambled for the door. She opened it and was shocked to see two men in regular clothing and five policemen in uniform behind them. She stepped back with anxious eyes. What was the police doing here?

“Is this the home of Lee Jongsuk?” The shorter man asked.

Minjoo glanced at him warily.

The men glanced at each other and held out their badges. “We’re detectives.”

Relief crossed her face, but she grew puzzled. Why did the detectives want Jongsuk? She wondered if they had possibly found out about his supernatural ability.

“I’m Detective Han, and this is my partner Detective Lee. We’re looking into the fire last night,” the shorter man revealed.

Now Minjoo was really confused. What fire?

“She seems not to know,” the taller detective whispered.

“There was a fire last night, and Lee Jongsuk’s things were found there,” Detective Han held out a plastic bag filled with a burnt phone, pocket knife, and hat.

Minjoo snatched the bag and took a closer look. Her eyes widened.

The things inside the bag certainly belonged to Jongsuk.

Those were his phone, his pocket knife, and his hat.

Minjoo stared at the detective with terror-filled eyes. She held out the bag and mouthed words they did not understand. She frantically searched for a pen and paper. She had so many questions to ask and not enough time to communicate them.

“Would you be willing to come to the police station with us?” Detective Han asked. Minjoo swallowed hard and nodded.

-----------------------------------

Last night at Yongin, there was a fire at one particular shack that was used as an abandoned storage for the community. The neighbors said there was nothing suspicious about it before until last night when one man reported the blazing fire last night at 3 a.m. The fire is believed to have been set on purpose and not on accident. After firefighters put out of the fire, the police found remnants of what seemed like a deceased body. The body was too scalded and disfigured to recognize, but after finding remnants nearby, it is believed to be a senior at Yongin High School by the name of Lee Jongsuk. Who or what has caused the fire is not known yet. Police will be further investigating this attack, and anyone who has any information about this incident should report right away.

Minjoo stared at the television in the police station. Even hearing the reporter speak and seeing the shack near her home go up in flames with her own eyes did not make her doubt go away. She couldn’t believe that the dead body belonged to Lee Jongsuk. She wouldn’t believe it. Never.

“Please sit here,” Detective Han pointed to the seat in front of him.

Minjoo turned around but stumbled and fell onto the ground. Detective Lee helped her up and set her on the chair. “Are you all right?” Detective Han asked worriedly. Minjoo glanced at the paper and pen in front of her.

“Feel free to write, please,” he encouraged.

With a shaking hand, she wrote,

“Is it true? Is Lee Jongsuk…”

She paused. Her heart clenched with anxiety, and she dreaded writing the word. The detectives were waiting though, so she finished writing.

“Dead?”

Minjoo held up the paper.

The detectives exchanged looks and nodded. “Yes, he is,” Detective Han confirmed.

Minjoo sprang up from her chair, and it went flying back onto the ground. Detective Lee held out a hand. “Calm down-“ Minjoo shook her head fervently. No! Jongsuk can’t be dead! He promised to be with me forever! He can’t be dead! He wouldn’t leave me! Tears blurred her vision, and she stumbled on the chair. When she landed on the ground, she lost consciousness.

---------------------------

Whispers awakened Minjoo. Her eyes fluttered open, and when she regained her vision, she realized she was not at home. Minjoo shot up and winced as the IV line yanked her back. She looked around and saw that she was at a hospital. Everything hit her at once. The

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter