57장

Irony
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After getting Mrs. Oh back inside and settled in the armchair near the window, the place she told me she liked most because she could look out over the garden and had natural light to read, Sehun and I retreated to the foyer where I had left the scarf before going into the garden before.

Sehun walked behind me, silent. I went to get the scarf, trying to think of a good way to explain it to him and get him to keep it. I really didn’t want it anymore.

“I thought I told you to not come back here.”

I paused, hearing him finally speak up.

“Or are you just really incapable of listening to anything anyone says?”

I spun around. His face was no longer swollen from the bruises and I could clearly see his jaw was set. The scratch above his eye was almost gone.

“Why do you do that?” I asked, exhausted with his moods. In front of his mother, he was so calm and collected, and the moment she turned her back, he breathed fire like some mother dragon who had her eggs taken away.

His expression dropped a bit. “Do what?”

Sighing, I turned around and grabbed the scarf off the round, polished table. Instead of enlightening him on his moody problems, I handed it over. He stared at it, not making a move to take it.

“I don’t want that,” he said.

“It’s yours,” I told him, urging him to take it. His forehead scrunched up for a moment. “It was always yours, Sehun. I told you my grandma made it but I never told you who she made it for. It wasn’t for me.”

He looked at the green scarf for a moment before looking back at me, his bottom lip pulled between his teeth.

“She didn’t know before, though.” He looked skeptical.

I made a face. “You think I never talked about you?” I asked, looking him in the eye. He looked a bit surprised. “Grandma, out of all my family, heard the most complaints about you and usually asked about you first. She made this as some sort of peace offering but I refused to give it you . . . until I saw you on your birthday.”

Silence took over the foyer. Sehun must’ve been trying to sort out how that scarf was quite important. On the other hand, I couldn’t help but think holy crap, it actually worked, you crazy bat. Sehun and I weren’t friends but the scarf had actually caused some peace, at least, in some ways. Nothing was quite over yet, I feared. But the scarf had given me, and possibly Sehun, a moment of rest.

Clearing my throat, I stepped closer, pushing him to take the scarf. “Take it. I don’t want it anymore. And she’ll keep asking me about it,” I said.

The muscles in his jaw flexed for a silent moment before he reached out and took it from my hand. “Is that it?” he asked.

Seeing I was no longer welcome in the Oh house, I nodded, turning to leave when I remembered the item in my pocket. Sliding my hand into the front pocket of my jeans, I pulled out the silver charm.

“You left this,” I said, holding it out to him.

Looking up from the scarf, Sehun’s eyes landed on the charm and I didn’t miss the moment they widened before he controlled his expression and took the charm from my palm. For a moment, I expected a thanks or something near it. He only held the charm tightly in his hand and gave me an expectant look. Taking the hint, I went to head out the door when Wei came hurrying through.

“Sehun, your mother said to help Eunhui choose a flower before she leaves,” she said tentatively before going back down the hall.

I looked away awkwardly when Sehun gave me an annoyed look. He sighed before starting towards the back door. I lingered a moment before hurrying after him. He was already outside when I made it to the door.

“Well, go pick,” he demanded, seeing I was standing behind him.

Hoping to calm the aggravation he now had, I stepped around him and went to the nearest bush. “This one?” I asked, unsure of the yellow flower.

Sehun raised a brow. “An Adonis means sadness,” he said, like I was a complete idiot.

“Okay . . .”

I walked a bit further down the path, leaving him still standing in the door with his arms crossed. Trying to hurry things along so I could get out of his laser sight, I eyed a red flower that looked sort of spiky. He gave me a disapproving look.

“Sorrow and grief.”

I sigh and turned away from him, making a face to myself. Peering over the large variety of flowers, I saw a carnation. As much as people liked them, I figured the yellow flower wouldn’t mean much harm.

“That one.” I pointed.

I swore I saw Sehun swear under his breath before actually speaking up. “Disdain or rejection. You

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter