06장

Irony
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

‘No more avoiding.’ New mantra – what do you think? I thought about ‘This is Sparta,’ but then I realized I was trying to stop war, not start it.

I invited Kim Taehyun to sit with me in the canteen. He looked at me like I was crazy but then I looked at him like he was loco when he opened his lunch box to reveal carrots and cheese, placing the colored lid aside.

“Dude, you’re so weird,” I said, watching him dip the carrots into the nacho cheese. He shrugged and continued enjoying his weird lunch while I ate my bibimbap. I was enjoying it until the moment I looked up and caught site of the Wolf Gang Pee Brains walking in the door of the canteen. I frowned even more when I glanced Kim Taeyeon’s way. Seriously, that girl’s mama needed to teach her how to wear clothes properly. In front of me, Taehyung hunched over his food like someone was about to steal it.

“They’re bullies, not pitbulls,” I told him, turning my attention away and drinking my vitamin water. “No one wants your carrot nachos anyhow, Kim Taehyung.” I shook my head and scratched the back of my neck, feeling uneasy.

Because there were no tables available near the wall or corners, we were forced to sit at a table in the middle of the room. I didn’t like the feeling of having someone seated behind me, having the ability stare at me without my consent. I glanced behind me just to be sure no one was watching me. Nope. Call it an insecurity, but I like to be able to see all of my surroundings and right then all I could see was about half of them. At least, I had a good view of where all the idiots were. I watched as Oh Sehun bro-hugged with none other than Park Jimin, one of the basketball team members. Tao was bugging the captain at the other end of the table, tugging on the guy’s arm. Immature idiot. What are you? Five? Tch.

“Why are you sitting in here today? Aren’t you scared they’ll bother you?” Taehyung asked, drawing my attention back.

I shrugged. “I eat in here from time to time, it’s just a matter if Oh Sehun’s on his period and feels like PMS-ing at me,” I said, munching on my food. At my words, Taehyun joked on a carrot and his cheeks turned red. He fisted his chest before nodded, keeping his head down. I laughed to myself, bouncing in my seat.

Looking for a new subject, Taehyung spoke up. “Do you think it would be hard to get on the basketball team?” he asked, ignoring his carrot nachos for a few seconds. He glanced around, seeming as uneasy as I was.

I stared at him intently. Did he not have any other friends? Any guy friends? Someone to discuss sports or girls with? He sure wasn’t a bit hesitant with spending time with me. I felt sorta bad for the guy. I may be a loner, liking my space and quiet, but not everyone was. But, even though I had no interest in sports, I spoke on the topic.

“To be honest, yes.” I saw his face drop. “But how good are you?” I asked.

He shrugged. “I play at the park sometimes, but I’ve never played against a real basketball player,” he admitted, playing with his fingers, tapping the table's surface.

“Well, if you’re actually any good, then the captain would have no choice but to let you on the team if he wants to win a game,” I said matter-of-factly. I sipped my water, eyeing the basketball team. “Aren’t you a junior? Why have you waited so long?”

He began packing his food up. “I don’t know. I need to go get my books before class starts,” he said, grabbing his things before heading for the exit. I watched him go, my shoulders slumped. I hoped I didn’t offend him.

“You should try out!” I shouted after him. “Fighting!” I added. He glanced back and flashed me a small smile, letting me know he wasn’t bothered with me, before he disappeared into the hall.

“Quiet, ugly, no one wants to hear your stupid voice!” a voice shouted across the canteen. A few laughs echoed through the tables around us.

I glared at my table before turning to look Luhan straight in the eye. I was momentarily distracted by the beautiful piece of specimen beside him, Kim Minseok, but then I was back to glaring at that Chinese wart hog. “Pl—” —ease. No one wants to see your ugly face but you still show up everyday, giving us bad eyesight. I cut myself off for two reasons. One: I was supposed to avoid them. Two: What kind of comeback was that supposed to be? Am I Patrick Star with no sense of how to use my words?

Holding my tongue, I glanced at all the guys sitting around—and on—several of the school's red tables. It was like some invisible VIP rope was around them. Jocks, bullies, rich kids, their girlfriends, and probably a massive amount of boy-stink and perfume all in one area sectioned off from the rest of the students. Not eve

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter