43장

Irony
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ten minutes into my brilliant plan, I started to have the urge to turn back and run the other direction. Then I realized the direction we were both walking led to my house and I would have to walk it either way I went about it. So I continued to walk a good distance behind him, making sure he never noticed me. I was dead set on leaving him be until he turned, making a right and heading onto his street. Instead of continuing on straight like I should have, I made a sudden turn and went along behind him.

He slid inside a gate not very long after and I hoped, having just had the thought, that he wasn’t entering one of his friend’s house. From my previous visit, I knew it wasn’t Luhan’s, but there was a good possibility of it being Jongin’s or Tao’s – or any VIP’s, for that matter.

No sooner had I had that thought than someone’s loud talking echoed down the street and I had no time to linger before I, too, slid inside the gate, out of view of the Wings High students I spotted only a few yards away. If I was seen in VIP territory, it wasn’t going to be pretty. Then again, I was here to see Sehun, technically.

As soon as I was sure the students were gone, I spun around and faced the house before me. It surprised me that it wasn’t some enormous mansion with ten cars and a fountain in the front yard with maids flying in and out of every door. The yard was average size, a small expanse of space with a few small and neatly trimmed trees surrounding the stone pathway leading to the front door.

Before I could talk myself out of it, I marched up to the house, taking in the grey stone exterior. In all honesty, the two storey house wasn’t even that much better than my own home: it just sat on a bigger plot of land with a garage and backyard. My parents couldn’t afford to have us so isolated from other human beings. Or maybe it was the fancy stained wood accents on the second level exterior that just screamed rich and beautiful.

I pressed the doorbell and rocked back on my heels. The urge to run and hide was so overwhelming I thought I was going to puke. Out of sheer discomfort, I raked a hand through my hair and then quickly placed it  in my pocket, not liking the feel of the short cut. That was something I had yet to get used to and it made me absolutely miserable every time I thought about it.

Rocking back on my heels and then forward again, I glanced around and peeked at the window to the right. Big and square and blocked by a big white curtain. I sighed and scratched my shoe against the cement step I was standing on, deciding it was best I didn’t face Sehun at the moment, especially with my unstable mentality. I turned and began to make my way back towards the gate, thinking that I was lucky to be able to get away so easily and that I was stupid for even walking up to that door.

Then that door opened, proving this was the Oh's residence.

“Hey. Can I help you?”

Like someone had just poured cement into my bloodstream, I halted mid step. Without any doubt at all, I knew I had just made a huge mistake by ringing that doorbell. Not only because I had invaded Oh Sehun’s home base or because I was in the VIP neighborhood, but because the Sehun I saw standing in the doorway when I turned around was not Wings High’s Oh Sehun.

Rotating as slow as a tortoise, my heart beating so frantically I felt like I was vibrating, I faced Sehun. We froze in sync.

His hair was still just as messy as it had been at school not long before (if not messier), but instead of his pristine uniform or jeans and sweater I had previously seen him in, he was wearing black sweatpants and a plain white t-shirt. I was baffled. Just as he was. That much I could tell by the way his hand froze mid journey to feed himself some noodles from the bowl in his other hand. And in the next instant, the bowl was rolling off the cement step as a loud curse arose from Sehun, the hot broth spilling nowhere else but his bare feet.

On instinct, I jumped, my eyes going wide in terror and my whole body freezing when someone appeared behind Sehun in the doorway.

“Sehun? What’s going on?” the short lady asked, looking alarmed.

Sehun danced on his feet for a few seconds, face contorted in pain, before he dashed into the house without even informing the lady of anything. So she turned to me.

“U-uh, hello.” I bowed awkwardly. Right near my feet laid the bowl he had dropped. I reached out and grabbed it. “He accidentally dropped the ramen a-and it spilt . . . on his feet,” I told her, walking forward to give her the bowl.

She clicked her tongue and shook her head, the black bob-cut hair bouncing around her aged face. “That boy,” she mumbled, picking up the chopsticks he had dropped. “I take it you're his classmate? Come on in, dear,” she said, ushering me inside and quickly shutting the door.

I stood there awkwardly, trying to figure out how I could politely run out the door and never come back. Sehun was nowhere in sight, but it looked like a trail of shin ramen broth was leading up the stairs to my right and then the horror struck me. I was in Oh Sehun’s house. And then a chorus of oh-my-gods rang through my head as I spun around to bolt, only to almost run into the nice lady. For a moment I thought oh god, this is his mother, but a quick glance at her attire told me she was only a housemaid.

“Take your shoes off, dear,” she instructed. “I’ll just go put these away in the kitchen. Sehun will come back down in a moment, I’m sure.”

Would it had been entirely rude to bolt the moment she disappeared around the corner? I thought so. That’s why I took my shoes off and left them beside the door, thinking the lady probably thought I had no sense of manners at all. It was just hard to think of anything for the fact that I standing in Oh Sehun’s foyer.

Any other person would’ve been ogling over the bright white walls that had vintage paintings hanging on them and the expensive vases sitting on the dark stained tables. But I was simply in a stupor

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter