03장

Irony
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I stared up at the ceiling, listening to my parents bustle around downstairs. My dad was about to leave for work and my mom was cooking breakfast for my sister and was about to yell for me to wake up, that I was going to be late.

Seconds after I dragged myself out of bed, I heard her yelling and I only continued to pull on my uniform. Fifteen minutes later, I walked out of the house with toast hanging from my mouth. I was running later than expected and had to run to the bus stop. I ate my toast on the way and tied my shoe that I had forgotten at home. Sometimes I really wished I had a driver’s license: it would be so convenient. But I still had another two years to go, and anyway, it wouldn’t matter because there was a fat chance my parents would buy me a car. Not everyone had parents who give them everything and anything.

Speaking of such spoiled brats, I hadn’t been on school grounds for more than ten minutes when Tao and Sehun strolled in, barely casting anyone a glance. Which, I mean, they weren’t the most popular guys in the school – just the most annoying – so it wasn’t like they were meant to get or give any attention. They only had their fangirls.

The way I saw it was like fandoms. We had the soccer fandom and the pretty boy fandom. Sometimes those mixed. While half the girls in the school squealed over Sehun and his friends, the other half squealed over the soccer players. Some members happened to be in both groups. But as for Sehun and Tao, they only belonged to the basketball team that played at the park after school. No one could get within ten feet of Sehun without Kim Taeyeon shrieking like maniac that someone was stealing her oppa, anyway, so Tao was the only one allowed to accept confessions from the idiotic girls that were blinded by his ‘beauty.’

“Choi Eunhui!”

I flinched, thinking it was Oh Sehun at first, but then I recognized the voice as belonging to Kim Taehyung, the food angel.

“I brought extra lunch, so don’t bother going to the canteen today,” he told me when he caught up with me. I glanced ahead, making sure no one had noticed my name being yelled.

“What did you bring?” I asked with a slight smile.

Taehyung smiled proudly. “Kimchi spaghetti and pancakes,” he said, holding onto the straps of his backpack.

I made a face but shrugged. “Sounds like a pretty good combination,” I said, following him into the school. Not everyone had shown up yet, but I knew who had and I thought twice about going to my locker right away. I decided maybe the canteen would be safe and told Taehyung to follow.

“What about getting our books?” he asked, sitting down across from me.

“What about getting bullied by sunbae?” I said bitterly. He frowned and nodded, playing with his fingers atop the table. “If we time it right, we can get our books and go to class without seeing them and then have lunch and get back before seeing them and hopefully avoid them while leaving.”

Taehyung raised an eyebrow. “How long have you been dealing with the sunbaes? You’re pretty smart with this,” he said.

I sighed, resting my chin on my folded arms. “I’ve been dealing with Sehun since my last year of elementary school, so two years. His forever loyal mutts joined the party last year.” I kept an eye on the door behind Taehyung. I knew once they did find us, it would be worse than going to them. They didn’t like to be avoided. Seeing none of them, I glanced back at the boy sitting across from me.

He gave me a sad look. “They started bothering me last year when I transferred here and got my lucky locker,” he told me.

“Oh, you’re from Daegu, right?” I asked. I remembered a little about when he showed up the year before. He nodded. “Man, I don’t know why they had to give us those lockers. Why can’t they just give the soccer team those lockers? It’s not like they don't all hang out from time to time anyway,” I grumbled. Looking around the canteen, I spotted a few of the soccer players. They were making a lot of noise for it to be so early in the morning. “I don’t understand how Kim Minseok, the sweetest guy in the school this school, is friends with Luhan, the third biggest douchebag in this school.” I spotted said male sitting atop one of the tables, tossing a soccer ball back and forth with one of s.

Taehyung turned around to see what I was staring at.

“Well, they are both captains of the soccer team,” he said, turning back to face me.

“I still don’t understand.” I shook my head. “Anyway, we should get our books now,” I said, standing up. Time to face the music. Fortunately, someone broke the radio and all of the bullies were gone when we got our books. Taehyung and I parted ways and I happily skipped to my bully-free class – well, Oh Sehun free. Everyone bullied me, but not like him. While some people threw paper balls at me and laughed when I went up to the board, Oh Sehun liked to throw bricks and yell at me.

First break came and I realized that in my surprise at not seeing Oh Sehun, I had forgotten my books for my next class. With a frown and wariness, I headed back to my locker, expecting to run into him before I got my book and made it back. But when I got to my locker, only Tao and Luhan were there, sharing a bag of chips and talking about irrelevant things.

“Aye, chubby, missed you this morning,” Luhan said, throwing a chip at my face. I flinched but continued to open my locker to get my things.

“You weren’t hiding, were you?” Tao asked, now standing beside me. He ate a chip, grinning at me. I inhaled deeply, wanting to snap at him.

“Now, Tao, we both know she wouldn’t dare hide from us, would she?” Luhan said, standing on my other side. I grabbed my book and closed my locker, when a new voice joined in.

“What did I tell you idiots about wasting food?” Sehun said, picking up the chip which Luhan had thrown at me. My grip on my book tightened and stood in my place, seeing no way around Sehun when I turned around.

Luhan shrugged. “Eat it then, maknae,” he said, walking back to his own locker to get things.

Sehun frowned and approached me, Tao still grinning like a creep beside me. “How about you eat it,” he said to me, holding up the chip. I clamped my lips shut and he snickered, still holding the chip toward me. I would not eat that after where it had been – not only on the disgusting floor, but in Oh Sehun’s hands. I would probably die or get STDs or something. “Come on, now, it’s delicious.”

“Then you eat it,” I hissed. Bad move. As soon as my mouth opened, he moved and shoved the germ-infected chip into it. I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter