Trust Me, Baby

[SERIES] Trust Me, Baby

The first 3 days of Jonghyun in comatose passed by like a breeze. But eventhough he survived it, he didn't show any sign of waking up, not even a twitch of a finger. He was hospitalized for a month, and still in comatose. The house seemed desolate without Taemin during the day when he stayed by his side to nurse him. I have a heavy heart, but I'd help him sometimes If I was asked to. Jonghyun didn't do anything to me that deserve my resentment. Now that I look back, I felt confused that I was angry at him.

The private hospital is always quiet and the fact that it is surrounded by bushes and trees makes it all the more desolate. This is the designated place where Jonghyun's eye surgery was supposed to be held, but now, it has been put off. That is, if he ever wakes up.

Everytime I come to visit after work, I'd find Taemin seated next to Jonghyun's bed, talking to him, reading to him, holding his hand, falling asleep next to him and when days come to worse, he cries softly. How many times I stopped my tracks before I enter when I heard him wept. Sometimes Taemin would bring Itzel too, introducing her the father that brought her alive. Alas, Jonghyun would not open his eyes to see his daughter nor would he raise his hand and pat her head.

The thing that hurt me the most is seeing black bags under Taemin's eyes, his lips chapped and brown orbs casted down in grief. At night, when he's asleep, I'd hold him; the only solace I find nowadays is to feel his warmth in my hands. His, and only his. He won't cry if I did.

I am confused. What am I to do? What exactly do I want to do? There's a part in my heart that rebels at the situation, denying whatever is happening. Taemin is someone that changed my plans and I'm afraid he's a perfect distraction. The way he look up and smile, pick up his hand and comfort me, lie down and captivate me and then he was gone, leaving me with thousand of question to the accidental happiness that happened not a while ago, before all this happened.

**********

"I'll bring Itzel this evening." Minho said, Nigel at his side holding a briefcase of workpapers.

"Okay." I replied with a small smile. He ruffled my hair once, his warm touch lingers for a brief moment before he turn his heels and walk into his car, ready to head to work after drop me off here, at the hospital. I watch his car leave the gate, its frame dissapearing a few seconds later.

"Taemin." Came someone's voice and I turn around to find Kevin awaiting me.

"Yes?" I answered passively.

"Can we have a talk?" He offered and I heave a sigh before agreeing with a nod. We both had been avoiding each other and now he's opening up, I could only expect the story I wanted to know. No, maybe I don't want to know anymore. It's sufficient enough to see Jonghyun laying in coma everyday.

We made our way to the cafe, which only a few people is present since it is still early in the morning. We settled on a table near the windows, the view casted only the green of forests with a bird perched on the pane before flung its wings away to the sky.

"I suppose voicing out my regret would prove nothing worthy." Kevin spoke, eyes meeting mine. The quiet chatter in the surrounding and a child's laughter went by unnoticed. I stayed silent.

"I want to be honest about Jonghyun. I've... been really selfish wasn't I? To influence a relationship like it's my own." His voice wavered, but he remained resilient. "But the only thing I can assure you, is that Jonghyun never stop thinking about you. He loves you still and.. his feelings can never get over you."

"I wish I did." I frankly told him. "Then it'd make things easier right? For both sides." Kevin shook his head lightly.

"There is no sides." He said. "Jonghyun had been sick, and I was worried and began assuming things. That's when things got tangled." Then he told me. Of how they came up with an idea to prove me I was not needed, to get rid of me from the picture. A few years back, I would be crying, thanking the god for bestowing me the full account of whats's really happening. But now, I've suspected a lot and the gap Kevin left for me allowed me to prove some of my suspicion. Like Jonghyun's illness.

Presently, I do care for him. But whenever I think of Jonghyun, there's someone else averting my attention. Jonghyun is the ending of my first begin and Minho is the one who filled the beginning and ending of every chapter. Knowing what my heart wants sharply tells me with who I wish to stay and never be without ever again.

And I know I love Minho with all my heart.

"We lied." He finished, eyes teary. I gave him a small smile and reach out my hand to give his a gentle squeeze. His teary eyes potrayed surprise.

"Thank you Kevin." I said. "And I'm sorry." For letting you carry such a burden for a long time. How many times must he have felt it was his responsibility that Jonghyun and I turned out like this?

Kevin let out a whimper and closed his eyes, his tears cascade down his cheeks, showing how grateful he is. He has done his part and he's not regretting it this time.

**********

As soon as the paperworks I've been working on is done, I return to the hospital, cancelling two meetings that I deemed not really necessary. At 6, I reach the white building and stumble into Taemin at the corridor, his eyes lighting up at my sight.

"Where's Itzel?" He enquired.

"She's with Nigel at home, coming down with a fever. Don't worry she's fine." Taemin sighed at my answer. I smiled at him.

"Have you eaten?" He asked.

"No, I came here straight away." Before Taemin could say any further, my phone's ring stopped our conversation. I claimed it from my pants and answered.

"Minho, it's me." Dahae-noona's voice came from the phone. She's back from Japan."Meet me up at the hospital's rooftop. Now." She ordered, then hung up.

"What the.."

"What's wrong?" Taemin peered curiously.

"Nothing." I contemplated. Perhaps I shouldn't really keep her waiting. She is a woman with duty and as far as I've known her, she's never been wrong. "I need to go for a while." I said.

"Where to?"

"The rooftop." I answered, leaving him confused. "Just for a while. Stay here." I said.

Taemin's intent gaze questioned me. He tilt his head in an innocent puzzlement. I realized he has cheered up, seeming as though he is fine with what's happening. I can tell from his honest brown eyes, his two adorable cheeks that stick out like round bulbs and the small, casual smile that graces his full, pink lips. It dawned on me at that moment, should I kiss him or not?

I... miss him.

Taemin look at me with sincere eyes, waiting for me. I curse myself for bringing the though to my mind and now I'm left with the hard decision. Deciding against my heart, I briskly turn around and walk away. Hesitation made us awkward and it's the last thing I need at the moment.

It kind of sink my spirit now I've reach the rooftop. I should have kissed Taemin. Shooking my head, I twist the door knob and push open the metal door. The vibrant colour of evening sky feast before my eyes and the cold breeze rush inside the building as I step outside.

"Finally." I hear a voice from the left. It was Dahae-noona, holding a cigar. I knew she smokes. But only times when she's deeply stressed or pissed. I wonder what drove her today.

"What do you want?" I asked her. Dahae-noona sighed before putting off her smoke and stride towards me.

"I want to know how you feel about Jonghyun."

"Huh?"

"Tell me."

"I don't understand." Dahae-noona observed me closely but when I say I don't understand, I really do mean it. That is, before she throw at me another question.

"Then how do you feel about Taemin?" I inhaled sharply.

Taemin. If there's one thing in my life that I don't know how to comprehend, it is him. There's a part of me, a big part of me that screams for him, wanting him. But the ridiculousness always drove me mad everytime I try to probe into it. I've felt stuffy inside, suffocated and sometimes I just want to be back to what I was.

Then there's Jonghyun. Thinking of him makes me mad, makes me want to do something. But what? I can't make out anything right now. Everything is too vague, too messed up.

When I came back from spacing out, I saw Dahae-noona's eyes, somewhat flaring. I knew there's something amiss. But I can't get a grasp of it.

"I.. I don't know." My answer was met with a hard punch. Shocked, I sprawled backwards, cradling my bruised cheek with my hand. I look up to Dahae-Noona, seeking for explanation.

"You stupid frog!! How can you say you don't know?! Do you think my brother is a play thing for you?!!" She yelled. I couldn't grow more confused. If not, mad.

"Why can't you see what you have in front of you?! Why must everything comes down to Taemin?! Why doeshe has to deal with all the difficult choices?! It's hard enough for him to face Jonghyun!!" She hauled.

"I don't---"

"What are you doing Minho?! Why are you such a fool?!!" I grip my hands, blood boiling at her exclamations.

"Dahae-noona, st---"

"Take Taemin back! That's all I want you to do!! I've expected a lot and you don't know how many times you dissapoint me!! You want Jonghyun to steal him again?!!" She screamed and it struck me.

"Stop it!! Don't underestimate me!! I ing know all of that!!"

"You do?! You claim you do but you're the one spoiling everything!!" Dahae-noona snapped.

"You think it's easy to deal with all of this confusion?!! He was something that I'd never choose but now he's right there near me, pulling me in!! How am I supposed to deal with that?!!"

"You're just putting on an excuse because you want everything to be easy, nothing complicated! All your life everything has been in front of you but you can't see it now! Do you ever get to choose your parents?! No you don't and you won't get to choose for Taemin if he wants to walk away or even Jonghyun if they want to be together again whenever they want!! After all they still do love each other!!"

"I love him more than anyone else!! I won't let anyone steal him from me!! He's mine!!!" I retort back fiercely, not able to hold my patience to her words. Breathless, Dahae-noona look surprisingly enlightened at my words.

That's when I realize what I just spout.

"What did I--" With panic surging up, I glance to Dahae-noona for help.

"I love him?" I asked with wide eyes. Goodness, she just made me see there was something missing; my commitment. Dahae-noona smiled affectionately and walk towards me then pulled me for a hug.

"I know you deserve him Minho." She said softly. "I love my little brother and I want him to be happy. I can't just sit around when I know the one that can make him happy is like this. And I know your idea of everything that you wanted to have. He's waiting for you Minho. Don't let your chance go to waste."

**********

I watch Minho's back as he fastly make way towards the elevator. Faintly, I sensed the hesitation dancing in his eyes. Knowing him, I thought he'd land me a kiss or two. And the thought was not entirely unpleasant to my appetite. But I'm fine if that's not what he wanted. I'm fine. Assumptions are merely my side of story.

I turn around and took a few steps towards the door at the end of the corridor. I open it gently and the dim room greeted me. Jonghyun, same as always, laid down still as ice on the hospital bed. Sighing, I went forward and sat at the chair beside him.

I gaze at his expresionless face that showed me so much emotions one month ago right across the street. He hadn't a thought or two when it comes to his wants. I look down to my hands resting on my lap, fumbling lazily on the shirt's button.

"Jonghyun," I began with a small smile. "I have always wanted to tell you about something. No. Actually.. It's about someone." I look up to his calm face, my mind wanting a reaction of his. He didn't give me one. I continued nonetheless.

"You know Minho right? The big-eyed, ertic frog I told you about. He is... well, he's here today again, coming to check up on you. Remember I said he was a money-leeching jerk?" I paused with a small laughter. "He is not entirely a bad guy. I've known him for quite a long time and eventhough we started off badly, him cursing me, me cursing him but both never really cared about each other's remarks or feelings.." The frog's face comes to my mind, a smile etched on his profile. A smile slowly comes to my lips as well. "Minho is a good person, Jonghyun." I said lowly.

"He's got many friends that respect him and he's not amiss in giving those people respect as well. They say he's the big boss in the delinquent world, but he always has a crush on Itzel, I wonder if he's really the top of his firm, it's unbelievable. Then there's his butler. You can never imagine a person whose heart is beating to tease his master as much as he wants. Minho is practically a joke to him." I told Jonghyun with a smile that soon falters. I reach out my hand and held his, cold against my warmth.

"Minho is really nice. He is.. my protecter. I hang on to him and when I feel bad about it, he encourages me and try to fix me up. He knows whatever he is doing and Dahae-noona trusts him. Nigel does, father does, Key does, Itzel does.... and I do too. I trust him." I grip Jonghyun's hand.

"I love Minho. I love him so much, Jonghyun." Tears welled up in my eyes threaten to fall down. "I want to show you who he is. I want you to know him.. I want you to learn to like him.." I gulp down the aching pain as my tears flows down my cheek.

"I know confessing to you won't bring me anywhere. It's not fair for Minho that he's not the first person who knows about my feelings. But you know Jonghyun...," The fact stuck out like thorns but I don't know how to put it in words. Sniffing up my runny nose, I smiled at Jonghyun.

"What we had for each other is now over.. It's been great and.. I loved you Jjong." I muttered.

To my words, he who was been laying down unmoving, opened his eyes for the first time in a long month of comatose. Jonghyun woke up, his blind eyes gazing on the white, clean ceiling. Shocked, I gasp and stood up.

"Jonghyun, y-you're awake...!" Finally, I screamed in my head. I turn away from him, wanting to call the doctor and tell him of this joyful happening. But before I could, a weak hand pulls mine, not wanting to let go. I look back to Jonghyun and eventhough I know he's blind, it is as if his eyes rests on me. He shook his head softly.

"No, Taeminie." He whispered with a cracked voice. I gaze at him with confusion, my heart beating hard in my chest. Jonghyun smiles at me meekly, his pale lips curving up slowly. "Don't leave now.." He muttered under his breath.

His words put realisation in myself. I knew what was coming. I bit my lower lip as more tears flow out of my eyes and I cried softly, holding onto Jonghyun's hand tightly. It hurts seeing him like this, it hurts to feel his slow heart beats through our connected hands, it hurts to face this alone.

"You'll going to be allright. You'll be just fine.." He said, word by word piercing me. "Taeminie is strong." He chanted.

Nodding, I smiled back. "Yes.." I replied grimly. I hear his last confession, echoing deeply into my heart.

"I love y..." He breathes out vaguely. I gasp sharply at the loss and cried my heart out. I hug Jonghyun's cold frame, weeping for him when he's gone. The person I have loved all my life before.

*********

I stood before the door, listening intently.

It's done now. Jonghyun has put down his sabre against the world and his illness. I know he doesn't have to fight anymore and that he's in a better place. My house will be lonely without him now. I miss him already.

"Goodbye Jonghyun. I'm sorry." I said and cried.










**********

For anyone who doesn't know the last POV, it's Kevin's. He needs to say goodbye too. :)

And yes, this is the last chapter for Trust Me, Baby but I'll still write the epilogue. That will be the real last chapter.

I hope you liked it and im sorry for killing jjong. You may kill me now. *lies down and wait*