caught

A Lady’s First | Editing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
 ♡ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 caught

 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“It looks like it’s going to rain today but you’re still going outside? Are you insane?” Jaebum asked as soon as Mark slipped his jacket on.

“I enjoy the fresh air. What can I say?” he answered, his heart stuttering at the thought of meeting with Jia again.

“The fresh air?” Jackson repeated skeptically. “Are you sure you don’t mean you enjoy someone’s company instead?”

His friend’s accusation caught him off guard as his cheeks flushed a deep and crimson red. “What? You’re the one going insane. You have no idea what you’re talking about.”

“Oh please,” Jackson scoffed as he tucked his hands into his pockets. “I’m not as slow as JB over there.”

“Are you saying that you’ve been spying on me?” Mark gawked in disbelief.

“Nope,” Jackson denied truthfully. “I do have a life you know. Besides, you weren’t all that discrete with it. I mean, since when did you start buying strawberry milk and candy? Your favorite flavor is chocolate and you hardly eat candy nowadays because you don’t want any cavities. So who is she?”

“Why—why are you so certain of yourself?” Mark interrogated, attempting to maintain his composure. “People’s preference can change.”

“If you have nothing to hide then I guess you won’t mind if we tag along to wherever you’re going.” When Mark hesitated to give a response, a victorious smirk draped over Jackson’s lips. “I knew it. You’ve found yourself a girl.”

Mark’s eyes nearly bulged out of their sockets as his jaw dropped to the floor. “What? No I didn’t!” he rejected rather loudly.

“Oh my god! You totally did!” Jaebum shrieked, pointing at his face. “Look! Your cheeks are all red! Tell us!”

Mark’s hand instinctively flew up to conceal his cheeks. “You guys are annoying,” he snapped weakly.

“But we’re right, aren’t we?” Jackson laughed. “It’s written all over your face, dude. You’ve got it real bad.”

“Do not,” he argued. There was a pause before he lowered his arms and mumbled, “Maybe just a little. Damn it. I don’t know, okay?”

“Then why don’t you tell us what you do know,” Jaebum suggested as he wriggled his eyebrows. “Like her name. What grade she’s in. What she looks like. Oh god, don’t tell me you’ve fallen for one of your fangirls.”

“What? Of course not,” Mark answered. “Don’t be ridiculous. I haven’t fallen for anyone… that would be way too fast.”

“But you admit that you like her.” Jackson pushed, wanting to squeeze as much information as he could out of Mark.

“Can I be honest with you guys?” He sighed as he ran his fingers through his hair. “I haven’t known her for that long but for some reason, it feels like we’ve been together for years. There’s just something familiar and comforting about her. It’s hard to explain.”

“Obviously you’re a little confused still. Why don’t we take a test before you run off, puzzled about your own feelings. Don’t think about it and just say the first answer that comes to your mind.” Jaebum clapped his hands once before nodding. “Do your palms get all clammy when you’re around her?”

Mark thought about it and then answered “Yes.”

“Do you feel nauseous when you see her?”

“Mhm.”

“When you guys make physical contact do you feel like there are bolts of electricity coursing through your entire body?” he inquired.

Again the reply from Mark was a solid “Yes.”

“Does your heart pound against your chest even when you’re only thinking of her?”

“Yeah.”

“Ding, ding, ding. We’ve got our results,” Jaebum proclaimed. “You, my dear friend,”—he placed a hand on Mark’s shoulder, a teasing smile greeting his lips—“have officially been struck by Cupid’s arrow. All of the signs are there. Whether you want to believe it or not, you’ve come to like this girl.”

“But.” Mark’s hand moved to the pendant buried beneath his shirt. He couldn’t help but feel like he was betraying her.

“But nothing. Jaebum’s right. You like this girl. I was wondering why you’ve been smiling a lot lately. And I don’t mean that fake, smug smirk you give our classmates either. I mean the real kind,” Jackson commented. “Now why don’t you tell us how she managed to break through your façade?”

“She has to be one of your fangirls. Let me guess.” Jaebum tapped his index finger against his chin while his lips pursed out. “She has always loved you and did everything just to please you and eventually, you found yourself softening up to her. Like you were probably trying to chase her away with your playboy image, being a douchebag to her but instead of running away like you wanted her to, she kept coming back. Then boom! You realized you liked her!”

Jackson smacked the back of his head after he was done. “This isn’t some cliché drama.” He snickered.

 “Hey!” Jaebum exclaimed, holding the assaulted area. “It was only a guess! And besides, it would make perfect sense! Nearly every girl in our school is obsessed with Mark! It’s inevitable that he’d fall for one of them if you asked me!”

“Well no one asked you,” Jackson shot back as he rolled his eyes. “So are you going to tell us who she is or what?”

Mark chewed on his bottom lip. He should just come clean and so he did. “Remember the transfer student that came from Taiwan a while back?”

“The one Yugyeom was telling us about?” Jackson blinked.

“Yeah…” He nodded slowly and cautiously. “Her name is Ming Jia and no, Jaebum, she wasn’t in love with me nor was she ever my fangirl. She didn’t see through my façade either. Because when I met her I wasn’t Mark Tuan the playboy who broke hearts everywhere he went. I was just Mark Tuan, a normal

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter