When Cupid Strikes

When Cupid Strikes

“Hi! Welcome to Onew’s- Oh. Hi Kibum.”

The drastic change in the sound of the greeting from an enthusiastic welcome to a monotonous hello will naturally offend any paying customer but the smile on Kim Kibum’s face doesn’t disappear as he walks into Lee Jinki’s fried chicken restaurant. It is like any other day when he decides to drop by his childhood friend’s eatery to pass time. Kibum doesn’t like fried chicken that much but he does enjoy Jinki’s company once in a while. And he’s pretty confident that after all these years of friendship, Jinki likes having him around too, especially when business is slow and almost non-existent after the lunch hour. However, today seems different. As Kibum drags a chair over and settles next to his best friend behind the main counter, he notices that Jinki doesn’t seem to be in the mood to entertain him.

“Something wrong?” Kibum instantly questions, not wanting to beat about the bush.

Jinki takes one look at Kibum as he then slumps onto the countertop and lets out a huge sigh.

“Taem won’t talk to me.”

Kibum raises an eyebrow upon the mention of Jinki’s boyfriend, Lee Taemin, who if he may add, is someone he’s very close to as well.

“What did you do this time round, dimwit?”

Jinki bites his bottom lip for a moment too long before he finally admits, “I asked him to work on Valentine’s.”

That earns Jinki an instant flick to his forehead.

Under Kibum’s stare, Jinki pouts and rubs the spot where his dongsaeng has flicked but swallows his grumbles and waits for the impending lecture because he knows he deserves it.

“How are you this dumb, hyung? Is this your way of being romantic?” Kibum reprimands as he gives Jinki a look that makes him feel like he’s hopeless before he goes on to do a rather good impression of Jinki, “Oh, hey taem, let’s do something different for Valentine’s this year. We could celebrate by working together and serving other happy couples delicious fried chicken-”

Sitting up straight, Jinki shakes his head and quickly interrupts Kibum in a poor attempt to defend himself, “I didn’t ask him to work at my restaurant, Kibum...”

It obviously doesn’t help Jinki’s case since Kibum feels even more frustrated as he demands to know, “Where then?”

“My cousin’s udon shop.” Jinki answers, finally having the chance to explain himself, “He’s in desperate need for help on Valentine’s Day because his waitresses bailed on him so I thought Taem could help him for a day...”

Kibum rubs the side of his forehead, clearly exasperated by how his best friend’s mind works.

“You know Tae would rather work with you than away from you on Valentine’s right?”

“Yes.” Jinki breathes out, berating himself for spoiling the occasion even before it arrives, “It’s enough that I have to keep my business open on Valentine’s and force Tae to wait for me before we can have our alone time together. Yet I still had to suggest that… I know how dumb I was, Kibum. Don’t have to keep reminding me.”

Seeing how regretful Jinki is, Kibum knows he has rubbed enough salt into the wound. There’s no point harping on the problem anymore. What’s important now is to find the solution.

“Is he still not talking to you?” Kibum checks as he pokes Jinki’s arm.

“You know Taemin... He doesn’t get angry, he just keeps quiet. I can’t reach him on his phone so I’m guessing he’s purposely avoiding me.” Jinki lets out a groan before he mumbles, “All I wanted to do was help my cousin but now...”

With Jinki looking so pitiful, Kibum decides it’s about time he steps up as a best friend. And so, in the next moment, he finds himself doing the nicest thing he has done for his hyung to date.

“I’ll help your cousin out.” Kibum offers and leaves no room for Jinki to reject his help, “I have no plans tomorrow anyway so just tell me where the restaurant is and what time I have to be there. Now can you can quit worrying about your cousin and go settle things with Taem?”

“Kibum…” Jinki looks like he’s about to burst into tears.

Kibum nudges his hyung, “Just say thank you.”

“Thank you.”

“And I’m the nicest person you’ve ever had the fortune to meet.”

“You’re the nicest person I’ve ever had the fortune to meet.” Jinki repeats as he smiles gratefully at Kibum.

Kibum returns a grin and decides that the blinding smile Jinki presents to him is worth helping his best friend (or actually, his best friend’s cousin) out.

Never in his wildest dreams does Kibum imagine himself standing outside an udon restaurant and preparing to take on a job as a waiter on the evening of Valentine’s Day. Actually, nightmare may be a better word to use when Kibum finds himself having to face reality as the time he is supposed to report to work for dinner service arrives. Taking in a deep breath, Kibum ignores the ‘Closed’ sign and knocks on the entrance to the restaurant. It takes a moment before Kibum spots some movement inside the restaurant and he soon sees a young man coming towards him to open the door for him.

“You must be Kibum.” The young man, who looked around Kibum’s age, smiles as he bows and raises his hand out for a handshake.

“And you’re Minho?” Recalling the name that Jinki texted him earlier along with the address of the restaurant, Kibum makes a smart guess as he shakes the taller man’s hand and subtly checks him out from head to toe.

“I am.” Minho confirms and releases Kibum’s hand, moving aside to invite Kibum into his restaurant, before he continues speaking, “Thank you so much for helping out today at such last minute notice. Jinki hyung’s really lucky to have a friend like you… I, on the other hand, obviously don’t have any true friends in my life since the only help they offered was to eat all my food.” 

Kibum smiles politely at Minho’s attempt to joke, resisting the urge to roll his eyes especially since Kibum notes that Minho is actually really cute when embarrassed.

“Anyway…” Minho starts again when he realises Kibum isn’t going to say anything, “Don’t worry about the job… it’s not as demanding as it may seem to be. I just need you to help me take orders, give them to the kitchen, serve the food, attend to the customers’ needs and clear the tables…”

The more Minho says, the more he loses the confidence that he starts out with because who is he kidding? The job of a waiter is definitely demanding. Minho unconsciously rubs the back of his neck and is about to apologise for the hard work Kibum clearly has to put in when he stops upon seeing the reassuring smile Kibum flashes at him.

“I know I don’t look like it but I’ve been a waiter before back when I was working part-time during the school holidays.” Kibum says, not wanting Minho to feel so bad, “Been there, done that so rest assured, Minho, I’ll do a good job.”

Indeed, Minho relaxes and sighs in relief as he smiles thankfully at Kibum, “You’re a life saver.”

Kibum shrugs, “It’s nothing… and hey, I am being paid by you so don’t mention it.”

“Right.” Minho chuckles and nods, “I’ll show you around and get you familiar with how things work around here later but first, would you like to try our signature udon before we officially open for the night?”

“Oh. I even get to try your food?” Kibum laughs, “Maybe I should thank you for the job instead…”

When Minho laughs along and invites Kibum to sit at any table he likes before he goes behind to the kitchen to personally prepare his signature bowl of udon for him, Kibum decides it isn’t much of a nightmare anymore.

Minho’s udon is indeed delicious. Not only can Kibum attest to that, having enjoyed one whole bowl by himself while getting to know a little bit more about Minho, but the steady stream of customers dining in his restaurant can too. Kibum is up to his neck, serving customers after customers, and doesn’t even have a minute to rest all through opening hours. Thankfully, Kibum actually finds joy in his work. And it’s all thanks to Minho.

As he sneaks peeks at the owner of the restaurant, Kibum concludes that there is truly something y about a man hard at work. It isn’t just the fact that Minho is hardworking which Kibum finds attractive; it’s also in the way that Minho is passionate about his business. Kibum can see how committed Minho is to ensuring that all his customers are provided the best food and service so they can have a good time especially on such a special occasion. He treats everyone in the restaurant, not just the customers but also the staff (there are two chefs in the kitchen too), so sincerely and makes sure that everyone is happy and satisfied.

Kibum can’t even count the number of times Minho has checked on him and suggested for him to take a break. Just that alone is enough to cause Kibum’s heart to flutter. True, it may seem like nothing much to an average person but when it has been a long time since you felt that someone truly cared about you, just one simple act like a concerned gaze can make a whole lot of difference. The moment Kibum’s heart beats a little too fast when he catches Minho looking at him, Kibum realises he likes his boss (for a day) a tad too much.

It has only been a couple of hours but Kibum feels like his heart is being stolen by Minho. He discovers that his boss is such a decent guy; He’s nice, friendly, attentive, earnest, charming and alright, Kibum shall admit that Minho is good looking enough to be on a runway show rather than confined to the four walls of his restaurant. Minho’s basically such a good catch that Kibum starts to wonder why it takes him this long to know Minho. Jinki should have introduced his cousin to him long ago… which leads him to the all-important question – is Minho seeing anyone? Kibum is curious about his chances with Minho. And if he finds out Minho is already in a relationship, Jinki is definitely going to get a good scolding from him.

The perfect opportunity comes when the restaurant finally closes for the day and the rest of the restaurant crew takes off to spend what’s left of Valentine’s with their special someone, leaving Kibum and Minho alone in the restaurant to finish up the cleaning.

“Hey, if you want to leave too, you can.” Minho says as he overturns the chairs and lifts them onto the tables, “You’ve already helped so much, Kibum… I feel bad that you have to spend Valentine’s like this.”

“Don’t worry, I’m good… and what’s the big deal about Valentine’s anyway?” Overturning the chairs a few tables away, Kibum intentionally asks, hoping to lead Minho into the conversation.

“You know… only single people feel that way…” Minho holds back a smile as he teases Kibum but his eyes betray him.

“It takes one to know one?” Kibum tries, wishing in his mind that Minho will agree with his statement.

Minho chuckles out loud before he replies, “Well, I may be single but I still think Valentine’s Day is worth celebrating.”

Score! Kibum is secretly celebrating when he hears Minho’s answer. In fact, he’s feeling so happy inside that he can’t stop himself from grinning. Even though he knows Minho is single and available, Kibum still can’t stay happy for long because he finds himself at a loss, not knowing what he should do next… He stays silent, falling deep in thought, as he overturns the last few chairs in the restaurant while Minho comes towards him to help him out.

“Come to think of it, I haven’t even celebrated Valentine’s once.”

Upon Minho’s confession, Kibum snaps out of his thoughts and stares incredulously at his boss, “You haven’t?”

Minho shakes his head and looks down embarrassedly as he mumbles, “I’ve invested too much time in my restaurant… it’s my entire life.”

“But you meet so many people every day… don’t tell me you haven’t been approached by anyone before.” Kibum is still in disbelief.

“I have… I mean, I’ve been on dates before but it never works out…”

“You must have high expectations…” Kibum thinks out loud and then wonders to himself what sort of person will catch Minho’s eye.

“I don’t.” Minho quickly says, “I guess I’m just waiting for the right person…”

“We all are… but I think I’ve met mine already…” Kibum says the first thing that comes into his mind and when he realises it, his eyes meet Minho’s and they both find themselves unable to look away from each other.

Kibum doesn’t know what Minho is thinking, heck, Kibum himself doesn’t know what he’s thinking. His mind is blank and all he can hear is the sound of his own heartbeat, thrumming loud in his ears. Minho’s suddenly intense gaze is too much for him to handle and so, Kibum clears his throat and hurriedly looks away as he busies himself with undoing the knot of his waist apron. But of course, in his nervousness, Kibum struggles with the knot and ends up making it even tighter. Minho, whose eyes have never left Kibum, notices the predicament his waiter for a day is in and decisively walks towards him to help him out.

“Let me…” Minho says as he steps behind Kibum so he can take over and untie the knot for Kibum.

“Thanks.” Kibum hastily moves his hands away, his body tensed with the close proximity of Minho, standing so straight and almost holding his breath as he prays that Minho doesn’t notice his nervousness.

“There you go.” Minho announces when he takes off Kibum’s waist apron seconds later, “I guess this is it then?”

Kibum takes a step forward before he turns around and smiles weakly at Minho, “Yeah… I, umm, should get going…”

“I guess you should.” Minho returns a smile, folding the apron and putting it aside at the table first before he walks Kibum to the entrance, “Thanks for helping out tonight.”

“No problem…” Kibum replies distractedly as he decides to stop just before the entrance and turn towards Minho, which in turn, stops him from moving too.

Kibum doesn’t say anything immediately though, simply looking at Minho who is still smiling at him while he battles with himself if he should ask the question he has been meaning to ask.

“Kibum?” Minho calls out when the silence lasts a bit too long.

The way Minho says his name convinces Kibum that he wants to hear more. Things can’t just end like that. For this reason, Kibum throws caution to the wind and decides to take a chance.

“Do you think… maybe… we could go out sometime?” Kibum hates how unconfident he sounds, and so, before Minho can reply the first time, he takes in a deep breath and immediately asks again, “Would you like to go out with me?”

“Kibum…”

“Yeah?” Kibum breathes out as he expects Minho to give him an answer.

Instead, Minho shoots him a question, “Do you realise that I haven’t paid you yet?”

Kibum blinks, confused by the sudden change of topic, “You… haven’t?”

Minho nods as he clears his throat nervously and admits, “I thought it’ll be a good excuse to see you again…”

Kibum stares at Minho who suddenly seems as nervous as Kibum is.

Knowing that Kibum must have been caught off guard, Minho laughs breathlessly and continues, “But well, since you asked, I would love to go out with you sometime.”

When things are too good to be true, Kibum can’t help but have his doubts.

“Are you being nice or…?” Kibum believes it’s something Minho would do.

“No.” Minho instantly shakes his head, “I mean, I think you’re cute.”

Kibum raises his eyebrows, honestly unimpressed that he’s being called cute but since it’s from the guy he likes, he lets it go in the next second and presents a smile to a somewhat distressed Minho.

“I’ll text you soon.” Kibum says as a goodbye, “Have a good night.”

Minho nods with a grin, “You too.”

With that, Kibum finally steps out of the restaurant and takes his leave before his happiness bubbles over and he makes a fool out of himself in front of Minho. For now, he will go home with a silly smile on his face and look forward to their first date.

Valentine’s Day has certainly served its purpose.

“Hyung…” Taemin groans as Jinki removes his arm from around his shoulders and shifts in their comfortable position on the couch to reach into his pocket for his vibrating phone.

“Just one second, baby.” Jinki promises, both of them already distracted from the movie they are watching in Jinki’s apartment, and looks at his phone, “It’s Kibum.”

“Oh?” Taemin’s curiosity is piqued as he moves closer and peeks at Jinki’s phone, “What did he say?”

Jinki taps on the screen of his phone and reads the message out loud, “I think I found myself a Valentine’s date next year.”

Taemin and Jinki share a look with each other.

“Minho hyung?” Taemin questions, disbelief written all over his face.

“I guess so?” Jinki replies, almost as uncertain as Taemin is, but they both know Minho is the best guess right now considering that Kibum spent the day at his restaurant.

“Call Kibum hyung right now.” Taemin nudges his boyfriend excitedly, “I need details!”

Jinki pouts, “But what about our movie?”

“This is more interesting than the movie, hyung!”

“Right.” Jinki agrees, once again realising how much sense Taemin makes, and quickly calls Kibum.

It is time to officially play their part in this love story in the making.

After all, they are the ones who inadvertently brought Kibum and Minho together.

On February 14th 2015, Kibum finds himself back where he was a year ago, standing outside the exact same udon restaurant and readying himself before he steps in. This year, he doesn’t need the owner to open the door for him. He has the keys to the restaurant himself since he is now Minho’s boyfriend and the restaurant has become his second home. And for once, they will be closed for business because it is their first, his first, Valentine’s Day together.

 

Author's Note: ahh, romance is in the air~ sorry this took a while, dear readers! valentine's day is over but hopefully you're still in the mood to read this! fingers crossed it was an enjoyable read! special mention to sofeels for suggesting ontae setting minkey up (hey sweetie, i know i didn't follow your exact prompt, and i'm not sure if i'll ever write deaf!minho but for now, i hope you don't mind this story instead.)! ^^