Chapter 9

Goodbye Autumn

Chapter 9

 

As I made my way out of school, I fiddled with my phone and made sure not to make eye contact with anyone. I don't know why I was feeling this way, but I guess I just didn't want people to stare at me as of right now. Right when I got to the gates, I finally got to see Ji Min and Jae Kyung, who I didn't even get to see when I was searching for them during lunch time. I still couldn't believe that I spent my whole lunch hour trying to find them only to not find them anywhere at school and having to go back to class without any food in my system. They greeted me with a tight hug, making me unable to breathe, but I returned their love and hugged them back.

"I hate you two." I said after they finally let me go.

"We're sorry." Ji Min patted my shoulders. "We wanted to text you or call you to let you know that we were with a teacher, but we kind of got busy with the work that we were doing that we didn't have time to contact you."

"Excuses, excuses, Park Ji Min." I shook my head as I started to walk away from them. "You two always say something out of these lines."

"Oh come on, Ga Eul." Jae Kyung slipped her arm around my neck. "What do you want? Ji Min and I will get it for you."

"I want a good long nap." I pretended that my eyes were really tired and droopy.

"Fine. I guess we won't get you anything then." Ji Min said as he slipped his hand into Jae Kyung's and pulled her away from me. "That means that we'll enjoy ourselves then, right Jae Kyung-ie?"

"Can you two please stop making me feel like I'm not here?" I rolled my eyes at them.

"Oops. Sorry, Ga Eul. We didn't see you there." Jae Kyung teased.

"I'll see you guys later, okay?" I stuck my tongue out at them as I made my way towards a different ally way. "I'm going to go stop by the bakery shop before I go home."

"Byeeee!" Jae Kyung waved frantically at me.

"Alright, we'll see you tomorrow." Ji Min waved as I disappeared from them.

I was tired, but I, for some reason, was craving for some bread. I went into the ally way and found the bakery shop that I often go to. This bakery was small, but it was really popular amongst all the different aged people here in Seoul. The best part was the fact that even when it was busy, the people who had worked here were fast workers and they were all very kind. I couldn't wait to get in and get some bread to take home. As soon as I got to the bakery store, I excitedly went in and the smell of bread immediately swifted through the air, hitting my nose.

"Choi Ga Eul, is that you?"

I looked over to where the sound came from and saw a guy waving his hands at me behind the counter. His name was Noh Sung Yeol and he was the owner of this bakery. He was only around twenty-five years old and he was actually quite handsome, maybe that's why his bakery was pretty popular. I guess I wouldn't blame anyone who'd come here just to get a peek at him.

"Hi oppa." I held my hands behind my back and walked towards him. "Were you making bread?"

"Well, of course, Ga Eul. What else would I be doing in a bakery?" He playfully teased me. Sung Yeol always loved throwing comebacks like this at me, but at least it was in a good atmosphere. He was pretty much like an older brother to me since I came here often.

"I just wanted to make conversation with you, but I guess you're going to make it harder than it should be like you always do, right?" I laughed as I leaned over the counter. "Ah, my heart. You're hurting it..."

I shouldn't joke around like this, but I just wanted to be light-hearted about things... Hah. Light-hearted...

"Oh no... Should I brew you some coffee and give you some sweet bread to cure your hurting heart?" Sung Yeol leaned over and pinched my cheeks lightly as I laughed at his comment.

"Actually, Oppa, I came here to buy some bread to take home." I stood up and straightened my posture.

"Of course, of course! You're actually just on time, Ga Eul." He waved me over behind the counter and I followed him. "I just made a new batch so I'll give you the fresh ones for you to take home."

"No, Oppa, you can't do that." I waved my hands in front of me, but it was no use; he was already putting fresh bread into a bag. "Oppa."

"Choi Ga Eul, just let me do this, okay?" He looked over at me and smiled sweetly. "Tell your father I said 'hi' and for him to come visit me since that old man never seems to do so!"

"Alright, Oppa, I will." I chuckled as he handed me the bag of fresh bread. "Thank you so much. These smell delicious. What's the price?"

"The price?" We both walked back to the front counter. "Your total is.... FREE!"

"Fr-free?" I looked at him wide-eyed. "Oppa, no, you can't give me fresh bread and then say that it's free!"

"Why not? I am doing it right now, aren't I?" He winked at me.

"No, you're not." I pulled out a few bills not caring which ones they were and ran out of the bakery.

Back then, Sung Yeol would usually chase after me and force me to take my money back, but since we've been doing this to each other for over years and years, he finally gave up the chase and accepted whatever happened when I handed him money. It was also a good thing we stopped the chase; my endurance was getting worse.

 

 

When I had gotten home, I quickly put the bread onto the counter in the kithen before I went straight to my room to change out of my uniform. I put on a plain white t-shirt and a pair of skinny jeans to go with my red converse that were sitting in my closet. I went down to the kitchen and surprisingly saw my father sitting there, eating a piece of bread while he read the newspaper. It actually wasn't normal that I would see him at a time like this. Actually, to be honest, I barely got to see my father because he was always working late and during the mornings, he would leave early to go to work so it really was surprising to see him here.

I walked over to the counter and leaned forward as I propped myself up onto my elbows. My father smiled at me before he took another bite into his bread and put his newspaper down.

"What are you doing home so early?" I asked as I raised an eyebrow at him.

"I could smell the bread from work." He raised up the bread that he was holding. "It's tastes amazing. Did Sung Yeol give you fresh bread again?"

I nodded my head and chuckled.

"I hope you paid him!"

"He almost refused, but I managed to pay him!" I smiled.

"That's my daughter!" He patted my head lightly, as if I was a dog or something. "Oh, sorry."

"That's right, appa. You better apologize. Don't pat my head like I'm a dog." I jokingly glared at him. "But seriously, what's the real reason why you're home?"

"You have an appointment at the hospital with your Samchon." He said quietly under his breath, as if he was afraid to tell me.

I bit my lip and nodded my head. I hated hearing the word, "hospital".

 

 

When my father and I got to the hospital, I immediately felt a pang inside my chest. No, I was fine, but I felt sad all of a sudden and I didn't like this at all. I hated this place the most; it reminded me that there wasn't much time until my heart decides that it was time to say goodbye, but come to think of it, I don't even think my heart will let me say goodbye, right? Why was I even thinking about these things. I... I should be happy and I should be living life. I took a deep breath to leave all the bad thoughts behind me. I had to stay calm, but even then, I could feel my hands shaking.

My father and I went to my doctor's office like we always did. His nurse always greeted me happily, giving me warm smiles and a happy greeting, as if she was on cue or something. I smiled back at her, even though I really wanted to save it for something else. I sound rude, I know, but being here wasn't really making my mood any better than it was before. I wanted to leave as quickly as I got there. I still didn't even know why I was here or what was going to happen. I guess inside, I kind of didn't want to know what was going to happen. Sometimes, it was better when things were unsaid. I hated these situations.

The doors to my doctor's office opened and we had walked in and was greeted by him. My doctor's name was Jo Chang Hyuk and he was a man who happily served his patients. He loved his job and he always did well no matter what the situation was. Also, he was given many awards for being so successful in the field that he was in. I guess I was glad that he was my doctor and how well I got along with him. My doctor happily smiled and shook my father's hands after he had gotten out of his desk. When he looked over at me, his smile faded, already knowing how I had felt. He walked over to me and I couldn't help it, but I had avoided his eyes unintentionally. He had lifted my face up by pulling my chin. I was forced to look him in the eye and I hated it. He was my doctor, but I called him my Samchon (uncle) because that's how I felt when I was around him.

"Choi Ga Eul, there's no need to be sad." He pressed his lips together, forming a small smile at me and pinched my cheek. I'm sure he was trying to make me feel better even if he knew this probably wouldn't have worked.

"Samchon, I'm not five. Stop it." I slapped his hand away and managed to fake a smile to at least appreciate his attempt on trying to make me feel better.

"Oh, sorry. I forget sometimes because you have such a cute face!" He exclaimed with a bigger smile now. "Sit down and make yourselves at home."

My father and I sat down next to each other as my doctor went over to the side of his office to brew us some warm tea. He poured the tea into two cups and headed our way to hand it to us. He handed one cup to my father before handing the last warm cup of tea to me. I happily took it and took in the smell, only regretting it because this tea reminded me that I was in the hospital. I forget how often I'm here until this smell... To think that smell is one of the most destinctive ways to remind you about memories... I hated it. I set the cup down onto the coffee table and leaned back on the chair.

"How have you been feeling lately, Ga Eul?" My doctor asked looking over at me. "Has your heart been acting up?"

I nodded my head, not wanting to say anything more.

"Have you been taking your medicine like I've told you to?" He asked.

To be honest, I haven't taken my medicine. I hated the taste of the pill even though I never really admitted it and I hated the fact that I would have to take it every day. To answer his question, I only nodded my head. I wasn't practically lying because I did intake the pill... Whenever I was under a heart attack, of course, but no one had to know that.

"Do you have your bottle with you?" He asked, knowing that I was being stubborn.

I shook my head. I hated carrying that with me wherever I went. Look at what happened between me and Chen. He found it and I'm sure he knew I had a heart disease if he had looked inside...

"Honey, why aren't you speaking?" My father put his hand on my shoulder. "Is something wrong?"

"No..." I only spoke so they wouldn't be so worried about me.

"Chang Hyuk, about her heart disease, are you sure that it really will only last a few more months?" My father asked a little too carelessly.

I didn't want to look at my father when I heard those words come out from his mouth. I knew he didn't want to ask, but one of us kind of had to since we both were actually really curious. It made my heart feel heavier than it already was, which made my mind feel like it would shut down at any moment and what made things even worse was the fact that it had became silent. Silence was the worse thing you could hear when there was a question you wanted to know about.

"We need to do some retesting to see how your heart is doing, Ga Eul." My doctor said, making my heart squeeze inside of my chest. "Did you want to do that right now?"

I forced myself to look over at him and within a few mintues, I nodded my head in agreement.

 

 

"Sleep over at your house?!" Ji Min yelled through the phone while I tried to listen to what Jae Kyung was asking.

"Yah." I yelled through the phone as I walked back into the house and towards my room. "I just got home so I don't think-"

"Well, we're outside." Jae Kyung said.

"Liar." I stood by the staircase but turned to face the door, wondering if they were bluffing or not.

*DING DONG. The doorbell suddenly rang.

"Oh come on." I hung up the phone and opened the door to find Ji Min and Jae Kyung standing befor me with smiles on their faces.

"Thanks for letting us in." Ji Min said as he brushed past me and went up the stairs to my room.

"Seriously you two?" I rolled my eyes as I closed the door behind Jae Kyung.

"Where'd you come from?" Jae Kyung asked as we headed up to my room.

"Hospital." I said quickly. "What were you two doing? Did you two plan this?"

"Wha-what were you doing at the hospital?" Jae Kyung asked as we got into my room.

"Hospital? You were at the hospital?" Ji Min was fixing his bed on the floor beside my bed, but he had stopped when he heard Jae Kyung and I talking. "What were you doing there?"

"Nothing. Just a check up." I shrugged, not wanting to talk about it.

"How... How did the check up go?" Jae Kyung asked. "Is... Is everything alright?"

They both were looking at me so curiously and I hated the fact that I didn't want to talk about it right now. Jae Kyung was curious even though she didn't want to actually hear the words come out of my mouth; that's how she always was. She worried a lot about me even though she pretended to be some tough woman, but her heart was probably weaker than mine, if that was even possible. And knowing Ji Min, he would pester me until I tell him the truth, but I just nodded my head at them before I went into the bathroom and closed the door behind me. I had to wait until the time was right...

 

 


 

**A/N: Boring chapter for you all! Sorry that there's no Chen in here, but don't worry! He'll be in the next chapter, I promise! Enjoy :D Please read and comment. I'd love to hear about your opinions, so please don't be a silent readerThank you and read with lots of love! Keke~! Muah