Chapter 6

Goodbye Autumn

Chapter 6

 

My eyes suddenly opened and I sat up quickly out of reflex. I looked around and saw that I was in my room, but it was already eight o'clock at night. I grabbed my phone so I could call Yoo Seung Ho and tell him about how sorry I was, but when I looked at the date, I realized that I was a day too late. It was already Sunday and that meant that I had actually missed a whole day. How was the even possible that this happened to me? The date that I've been waiting for my whole life suddenly couldn't happen because I fainted. What the heck even happened to me? How did I lose conscious for almost a day and a half? Was it really because of me getting into the water?

My door slowly opened and a shadow entered into my room. Just as I was about to throw something at them, the light switch and it revealed Ji Min with a tray of food and warm tea.

"Looks like you're finally awake." Ji Min walked over to me and set the tray in my lap. He then leaned over and touched my forehead. "Are you feeling better?"

I nodded my head and grabbed the tea so I could get a sip of it. "What happened?"

"I don't know. You fainted right when you got home." Ji Min shrugged as he grabbed the bowl of food and started to stir it. "Why was your hair all wet? Did something happen? Did you-"

"Nothing happened." I cut him off, hoping that he wouldn't get the idea of me going to the beach.

"You went to the beach, didn't you?!" I guess I had spoken too soon. He set the bowl down onto his lap. "Are you serious, Choi Ga Eul?!"

How did he know when I didn't even say anything? The thing about Park Ji Min is that he knew more about me than my own girl best friend, Han Jae Kyung. It was really weird how he did, but it was true. Ji Min was always on top of things when it came down to the things I liked or the things I did. I never understood how Jae Kyung never understood me like Ji Min did. I guess even though Jae Kyung's and I's relationship was longer, it honestly felt like mine and Ji Min's relationship was longer. 

"What happened?" Ji Min grabbed a spoonful of food and placed it near my mouth. "Tell me after you take this bite. You need food in your system since you've been out for a while."

"Nothing happened." I shrugged as I leaned into to eat the food.

"You're lying to me." His stare at me was stern.

"Really, Ji Min, nothing happened."

"Then why the hell was your hair wet? I already caught you going to the beach!" He gave me another spoonful of food. "You better tell me before I go and tell your dad that you went to the beach!"

"You wouldn't!" I glared at him, hoping that it would be intimidating, which I probably know was nowhere near that.

"Don't try me, Choi Ga Eul."

I stared at Ji Min, hoping he would just start cracking up, but I knew he was being serious when he said he would tell my father that I went to the beach and that's why I had gotten sick. Then that would cause me to get into trouble and that would mean that I would no longer get to go to the beach. That would also mean that I wouldn't get to ride my skateboard or go freely anymore. Why did Ji Min know my weak points? One day, he's going to get it.

"Okay..." I finally gave in.

"Tell me now." He crossed his arms and stared at me. 

"After buying whatever my father told me to get, I thought I'd go to the beach and get some fresh air, you know?" I looked at Ji Min and he looked like he was really paying attention. "Okay. Let me stop here for a second." Ji Min nodded. "You cannot say anything until I'm done talking, okay?" He nodded again. "Okay. So as I was saying, I went to the beach, strolled around and right when I was about to go home, I saw someone in the water. I-"

"What the hell, Ga Eul?! You freaking went into the water?!" Ji Min cut me off, making me glare at him.

"I thought I said you can't say anything until I was done talking." I pushed his forehead back.

"Sorry..." He scratched the back of his head. "Go on."

"I didn't know what they were doing since they were wearing regular clothes, but they were in the water. I ran over to see what was going on and kind of realized that this person was trying to commit suicide so I jumped in and saved them." I bit my lip and looked down at my hands. "That's it."

"Do you know the person you saved?" Ji Min asked.

I shook my head only because I'm sure that person wouldn't want to people to know.

Ji Min leaned forward and patted my shoulder. "You did a good thing, Choi Ga Eul. You saved someone's life."

"They weren't happy about it." I shrugged as I let out a sigh. "They... They yelled at me."

"That's what they do when it first happens." Ji Min smiled at me assuringly. "Don't worry about it. In a few months or maybe a year or so, they'll be thankful that they were saved."

"You think so?" I chuckled.

"You never know, Ga Eul. Finish your food and rest. You're still running on a high fever." Ji Min got up from my bed and went to my door. "I'll explain everything to Seung Ho, okay?"

I nodded my head and Ji Min left my room.

 

 

I was kind of afraid that maybe Chen wasn't going to be at school because of what had happened. I wonder if he was okay only because me saving him at that moment didn't mean that he didn't try it again at a different time. I thought about texting Ji Min or call him to see if Chen was in class, but then I thought about it and it would make it pretty obvious that it was him who I had saved. I couldn't let that information out, but I couldn't just sit at home and wait until tomorrow. I had to find out so I went into my closet, not giving two cares about the way my face looked  like, and got dressed.

I debated on whether I should wear my uniform or not, but I decided not to because I knew a teacher would probably make me stay if I did. I changed into black skinny jeans and white converse with a dark denim flannel over a white t-shirt. I also made sure to wear a hat, not like it won't make me obvious, but I didn't want people to see that it was me. I quickly grabbed my bag and strapped it on before I went out the door with my skateboard. Instead of taking the taxi, I wanted to enjoy the weather that spring was starting to give us. I'm sure it would help cool my fever down since I was getting a little better from staying in.

When I had gotten to school, the gates were closed, which was no surprise, so I had to find my way in. I went to the back of the school to where everyone always went through in order to ditch class. I had to squeeze through a few bushes and just as I did so, my freaking jeans ripped because a branch got caught in one of my loose strings. Stupid me thought that it was a good idea to pull my leg out, which it wasn't, and that's how I got a hole in my pants, but that's not what I was worrying about right now. I had to get inside the school quicker.

It was a good thing that students blocked the lock to the back doors because if they didn't, we wouldn't be able to get back into the school. Thankfully, I got into the school building quietly and no monitors had caught me. I sighed in relief as I made my way around the school. When I looked at my watch, I saw that there were only a few minutes left before lunch had started. I made my way towards the cafeteria and looked around to see if anyone was there yet, but it was actually emptied. I leaned against the wall and tapped on my phone as I waited for the bell to ring.

These were the longest three minutes of my life. I was getting impatient and I knew that I should have just gone to Ji Min's homeroom class to look for Chen, but then I knew that I'd get caught easier that way. I guess I'll keep playing the waiting game. I mean... There's  only what? Forty seconds left, right?

"Choi Ga Eul?"

I looked up and saw Seung Ho standing in front of me. My eyes widened and my mouth fell ajar. Did I make it obvious that it was me? I looked around to see if there were any teachers around and thankfully, there was actually no one around but him.

"What are you doing here? I thought you were sick?" Seung Ho raised one of his eyebrows at me.

"Uh yeah... I am sick, but I just wanted to come here for something..." I didn't know what else to say.

"Oh..." He looked disappointed.

"I came here for you..." I blurted out.

"What?" Seung Ho now looked taken aback.

"About our date... Or not a date, but how we were supposed to go to SHINee's concert together, I'm terribly sorry that I couldn't come." I shook my head. "I really, really wanted to go. You had no idea how much I was anticipating it, but I got a fever and I-"

Seung Ho suddenly wrapped his arms around me and hugged me tightly. His chin rested on top of my head as his body was getting pressed closer to mine. I was really caught off guard by this one and I didn't know how to react.

"I rather have you stay home and be well than you coming to a stupid concert with me while you're sick." Seung Ho pulled back and looked down at me. "We can always go to a concert together no matter who it is. Ji Min already told me what happened, so you don't need to tell me."

"That's right... Ji Min told me he was going to tell you." I chuckled.

He nodded. "You saved someone's life and that's all that matters. You're running a fever still, so you should go home, okay?"

Seung Ho hugged me again.

"I'm sorry." I said again, even though I knew it wouldn't make a difference.

"We'll go do something else, okay?" He pulled back and squeezed my cheek. "I'll take you out on a date where it's just the two of us and it's not so loud."

My face started to turn pink.

"Go home, Ga Eul. I at least want you to make it to this date this time, okay?"

I nodded as I watched him head into the cafeteria.

I touched my cheek before I made myself walk towards the cafeteria. Just because Seung Ho and I just had a sweet moment, it didn't mean that I forgot why I was actually here at school in the first place. I peeked in and looked around, but Chen was nowhere in sight. My heart was starting to beat quickly out of my chest. He was alive, right? He was at school too, right? I turned in circles, looking to see if he was coming in from a different crowd, but he was nowhere to be found either. Okay. So now I was panicking a little.

Maybe he was in class? I had no idea, but I couldn't wait to see anymore. I ducked my head as I pulled my hat over more onto my face so no one would recognize me. As I made my way to Ji Min's homeroom, from the corner of my eye, I could see Jae Kyung walking by herself towards the cafeteria. I looked the other way, just in case she noticed me and kept walking.

When I got to the  classroom, I could see that it was emptied. I sighed out loud, upset that I had probably missed him because I was too busy trying to hide myself. This was so stupid of me. Maybe I shouldn't even be here. I'm sure he was okay, right? I mean, he wouldn't do it again, would he? I guess I shouldn't worry too much and thinking about that, why was I worrying so much? I've never worried about someone like this so much in my life before. God, what was going on with my head these days?

I quickly turned back around and walked towards the back to where I snuck in from. Just before I was about to leave, I saw the cafeteria again. I stopped in my tracks and decided that I would peek in one more time before I left. 

"What are you doing here?"

I froze and composed myself quickly before turning around.

"Yah!" It was Ji Min. "I thought I told you to stay home."

"Right..." I nodded my head.

"What are you doing here then?" He crossed his arms and stared at me.

"I... I came to talk to Seung Ho and I was just about to go back home..." I wasn't technically lying.

"Well, you should-"

Ji Min was cut off by a loud thud behind us in the cafeteria. We turned around and saw a huge crowd forming around whatever had just happened. Without saying anything, Ji Min and I ran into the cafeteria and squeezed through the other students to see what and who they were surrounding. My heart nearly dropped when I saw the body lying on the ground. I quickly bent down and felt their heartbeat on their neck. They were still alive, but what had happened? I looked up to see three innocent faces in front of me. They looked like they were on the verge of tears. Their facials expression was telling me that that they were scared, nervous, shocked, and anything possible at that moment.

 

 


 

**A/N: And the worst author award goes to me! I'm so sorry for taking forever on the update :( Finals are finally done and I'm free, other than work, but still! Anyways, I'm sorry if I'm lacking on updates. I'm seriously kind of sad about the whole Kris-SM situation so please be aware that my motivation of writing might go down :( I promise I'll finish this story, but give me some time. I'm trying. I'm just kind of sad so I don't know how to write without being even more sad. OTL. But still, let's keep our heads up and keep positive thoughts as well for the boys! They need it more than ever. #OT12forever Please read and comment. I'd love to hear about your opinions, so please don't be a silent readerThank you and read with lots of love! Keke~! Muah