Pregnancy Woes

Ways to Fall in Love

Word count: 2,471 (got carried away, sorry!)

Summary: (Prompt) Baekhyun is afraid of breaking the news of his pregnancy to Chanyeol.

Warnings: Has mpreg (yup, male pregnancy is normal here), AU, slight mentions of ?

 


 

Baekhyun wakes up in the middle of the night in cold sweat. He turns to see his boyfriend lying next to him, an arm still lazily draped around his waist. At the sight of a smile lingering on a peacefully sleeping Chanyeol’s face, he sighs in relief. Quietly, and careful not to awaken Chanyeol who was deep in slumber, he pries himself away from his boyfriend’s hold and climbs off the bed before tiptoeing to the bathroom.

 

He splashes cold water onto his face to get rid of the bad memories that were still playing on his mind courtesy of the nightmare he had just had. Baekhyun has not much of a clue as to why he has been having the same bad dream repeatedly for the past two weeks. It was getting to the point where he would find himself in tears when he suddenly jolts awake in the middle of the night. He wants to confide in someone about it and the only one he fully trusts is Chanyeol, but somehow, he can’t bring himself to do so out of fear. Of what, that he does not really know either.

 

Still deep in thought, he lifts the hem of his shirt up and stares at his exposed belly. It looks normal and there was nothing strange or different about it. In contrast, however, his dreams always depict himself as having a small baby bulge. That was the happier part of the dream – that he was with child. He was still quite young to contemplate having a child of his own, but that didn’t stop him from wanting one when the right time comes along. The other part of the dream that always has him crying in his sleep, is the fact that Chanyeol would turn into a monster and start yelling profanities at him for having gotten pregnant. And then Chanyeol would leave him. Of course, Baekhyun never believed in the former because Chanyeol was the sweetest person ever. He wouldn’t even dare raise his voice at Baekhyun. But on the other hand, he was afraid that the latter might be true if he were to ever have an unplanned pregnancy.

 

Baekhyun doesn’t know what he was doing but soon, he found himself carefully moulding his hand that wasn’t holding his shirt up around the side of his abdomen as if there really was something growing inside. His lips curl at the corners at the thought of a little being inside him, but he quickly throws the thought away. He doesn’t even know if Chanyeol wanted kids. Even if his boyfriend wanted to start a family, what if he wasn’t the person Chanyeol wanted to do it with? What if this relationship they had with each other was just for fun, something Chanyeol regards as a temporary thing? Now that Baekhyun thinks about it, for the past two years they’ve been dating, they’ve always treated their relationship lightly. They were more like best friends than lovers.

 

There were so many thoughts and questions on his mind that a sudden wave of dizziness hits him, forcing him to drop the hold on his shirt as he stumbles slightly. He grips the edge of the counter for support.

 

The door to the bathroom creaks open and he feels the touch of warm skin against his own cheek before a pair of arms circles itself from behind.

 

“Baek, come back to bed,” Chanyeol whines in a husky voice that’s thick with sleep. The younger nuzzles deeper into Baekhyun’s neck, his tousled hair now tickling the older’s cheek, as he presses his chest flushed against Baekhyun’s back.

 

“Okay,” Baekhyun says softly, turning around in Chanyeol’s hold. He allows himself to be led to the bed by the hand, climbing into it right after the taller. Baekhyun lies on his right, and Chanyeol lies on his left, facing each other as the latter reaches a hand out and intertwines their hands together. In the dark, Baekhyun sees Chanyeol gazing at him through heavily lidded eyes, a small lazy smile gracing his plump lips. Baekhyun reaches out his free hand and lets his fingers graze along Chanyeol’s parted lips.

 

Chanyeol wiggles closer towards his lover, closing the distance between them.

 

“Yeol, do you love me?” Baekhyun breaks the comfortable silence. He looks to the younger with uncertainty in his eyes.

 

“What kind of a question is that, Byunbaek?” Chanyeol replies sternly, clearly taken aback by the question.

 

“A fairly reasonable one.”

 

“Of course I love you, my baby Byunbaek.” Chanyeol leans in and rubs his nose against Baekhyun’s, earning himself a little giggle from the other.

 

“Chanyeol, I’m serious,” Baekhyun grumbles cutely. Chanyeol couldn’t resist tickling the other who squirms in protest through stifled laughter.

 

 Baekhyun is still busy reeling from the ticklish feeling when he suddenly feels a pair of lips pressed up against his own. He hiccups through the tender kiss, causing Chanyeol to pull away with a chuckle.

 

“I love you, okay, don’t ever doubt it again. Ever. I mean it,” Chanyeol threatens with a finger to Baekhyun’s ticklish spot on the nape of his neck, ready to attack if the latter rebelled.

 

“You’ll love me no matter what?” Baekhyun asks in a small voice with that nightmare on his mind.

 

“Till we’re old and wrinkly and eating galbi with our dentures.”

 

At those words of reassurance, Baekhyun’s nightmare is forgotten.

 


 

A week after, the dreams stopped occurring, but Baekhyun was faced with yet another predicament – lethargy and nausea.

 

Chanyeol is an amazing cook and he prepares dinner for them every night when they got back from work, but for a whole week, Baekhyun is unable to keep his food down. He fails to swallow even a mouthful of the food, and even when he does, he ends up regurgitating it all out along with bile and stomach acids, leaving a nasty taste in his mouth.

 

“Byunbaek, baby, are you sure you’re okay? I don’t think it’s normal to be puking your guts out for a whole week straight.” Chanyeol rubs Baekhyun’s back soothingly as the latter dry heaves over the toilet. This has been such a normal occurrence, especially during dinner time, that it was starting to worry the younger.

 

“I’m fi—” Baekhyun is cut off by another round of violent heaving. He clutches his abdomen with a hand as he sobs wearily. He is so exhausted but the nauseous feeling won’t give him a break.

 

“Come on, let’s get you to the doctor.” Chanyeol carries Baekhyun in his arms before the latter can protest. And it’s not like he can anyway, because he’s too busy trying to ease the queasiness in his stomach, afraid he might just throw up all over the younger.

 


 

Chanyeol ends up making a u-turn home when they were already halfway to the doctor’s. And all Baekhyun had to do was to give his best puppy look and the cutest pout he could muster.

 


 

A few days after the almost-trip to the doctor, Baekhyun finally comes to terms with the fact that he might be pregnant. He has been disregarding it for as long as he could, but he figures that he should man up and find out the truth, even if he’s afraid of the outcome.

 

Buying the pregnancy test kit proved to be more difficult than he thought it would be. Though it’s perfectly normal for guys these days to become pregnant, it still didn’t stop the weird stares from coming.

 

“What are you looking at?” Baekhyun curtly calls out to the cashier who’s taking a long time just scanning that one box of his because she’s too engrossed in giving him the eye-up. When she continues to stare at him in curiosity, he finally snaps.

 

“Yeah, I had a up my and now I want to know if I’m pregnant. Anything wrong with that!?”

 

The girl cowers at Baekhyun’s roar.

 

He blames it on the sudden mood swings.

 


 

With trembling fingers, Baekhyun scrambles to tear the box open, hastily yanking the stick from the box.

 

He follows the instructions closely and soon, he’s experiencing the most nerve wrecking wait of his life. He’s unable to keep still as he paces the bathroom with the stick in hand. Out of the corner of his eye, he sees a flash of something appearing on the stick.

 

Though he already has an inkling what the results are, it still doesn’t keep him from feeling nervous as he closes his eyes and holds the stick under his nose.

 

Taking a deep breath, he sneaks a peek through the cracks of his eyes.

 

“Baek, baby, I’m home!” Chanyeol’s boisterous cry causes Baekhyun to startle as the stick slips through his fingers and drops.

 

With a plop.

 

Into the toilet.

 

 Before he even has a chance to contemplate on whether he should retrieve it, the bathroom door swings open.

 

“Baek, are you alright? Did you puke again? I bought you chicken broth so you’d feel better.”

 

Baekhyun wants to burst out crying at the sight of his lover still in his suit and crooked tie, bag slung across his chest, holding up a plastic of food and concern written all over his face. God, Chanyeol is such a sweetheart and Baekhyun doesn’t know why he’s emotional over this already known fact but he thinks it’s probably the hormones. Yes, it must be those darn hormones.

 

“I-I…”

 

Chanyeol takes a step forward, seeing the distress look on his lover’s face, but Baekhyun holds a hand up to stop him.

 

“Stay there.”

 

Though Chanyeol knows of Baekhyun’s melodramatic ways, he knows this isn’t one of those sassy Baek moments. He could tell it was serious. So he does as he’s told, now placing the plastic on the counter and dropping his bag to the ground.

 

“Chanyeol. Do you know what happens when people have ?”

 

“They become… bonded on a more intimate level?” Chanyeol tries, not really sure where this was going.

 

Baekhyun sighs and crosses his arms across his chest.

 

“What happens when two people have unprotected ?”

 

“Uh, someone gets herpes?”

 

Oh god, no.

 

“Besides that. Considering that they’re both clean.”

 

“One of them gets pregnant?” BINGO!

 

Baekhyun holds Chanyeol’s confused gaze, looking to see if the younger has understood the meaning behind his words. But no, of course he doesn’t get it. Baekhyun loves the boy, but sometimes he could be really dense.

 

“And when was the last time we had unprotected ?” Baekhyun prompts the younger who scrunches his nose in thought.

 

“It’s been a month since we last had any ,” Chanyeol pouts at the revelation.

 

“Did you remember to put on a then?”

 

“I…” Chanyeol trails off. His eyes widens at the memory of having forgotten to put on the the last time they did it.

 

“Do you… Do you see what I’m getting at?” Baekhyun asks in a small voice as his hands drop to his sides. Chanyeol’s eyebrows knit even closer which means that he still hadn’t gotten it.

 

“I’m pregnant,” Baekhyun spells it out for him.

 

 Chanyeol’s eyes are so wide they look like they’re about to pop out of their sockets as he gapes at his boyfriend with deeply furrowed brows but the thing that makes Baekhyun feel and vulnerable is the fact that Chanyeol’s eyes are boring into his.

 

 

The expression of horror stays for the longest of time, and Baekhyun wonders if the nightmare he had had was coming true.

 

Chanyeol’s expression hardens.

 

“H-How do you know?”

 

“Funny story…” Baekhyun tries to laugh but it comes out like a strangled cat. He points to the stick that ‘s sitting at the bottom of the toilet. Luckily, it’s facing upwards, so they could see the result: a smiley face, indicating that it’s positive.

 

“I peed on it and I was waiting for the results but just as I saw it, you came running in and I panicked. So it sort of fell inside.”

 

Chanyeol’s eyes remain as big as ever as he diverts his gaze from Baekhyun’s anxious expression to the pregnancy stick.

 

Baekhyun watches as Chanyeol’s expression finally softens to make way for that of awe. A loopy smile slowly spreads across his face, his mouth still hanging open. Baekhyun resists the urge to go over and close it for him in case he swallows a fly.

 

 

Chanyeol finally snaps out of his daze and gazes at Baekhyun whose eyes flicker down to the ground as he toys with his fingers in front of him.

 

Suddenly, he lets out a surprised gasp as he feels himself being lifted off the ground by the waist before he is being spun around the bathroom. He glances down at his lover who has the look of pure adoration and happiness etched in his features. Baekhyun thinks it’s the most gorgeous smile he has ever seen.

 

“Yah, Dobi! Put me down before you break something!” Baekhyun shrieks as he slaps the younger’s shoulder with the hand that isn’t tightly grasping Chanyeol’s biceps for support.

 

"Seriously, Yeol, put me down," Baekhyun gags a little at the nauseus feeling rising in his throat, "Before I shower you with vomit!"

 

Chanyeol laughs boisterously as he places his lover back down on the ground, keeping his hands tightly secured on the older’s waist.

 

“I-I… I don’t know what to say, Baek. I’m so happy! AHHH!” Chanyeol screams to his pleasure, head thrown back in elation.

 

“I thought you wouldn’t be…” Baekhyun says quietly as he keeps his hands splayed across Chanyeol’s broad chest.

 

The younger swoops in and captures Baekhyun’s lips in a sweet kiss. Baekhyun responds enthusiastically, unable to keep a smile from forming.

 

Chanyeol breaks away, donning the same sheepish grin, as he gently caresses Baekhyun’s non-existent bump with a hand while the other moves to the small of his back.

 

“Why wouldn’t I be? I love you, remember? 

 

Till we’re old and wrinkly and sitting on the deck watching our children play in the backyard.”