Chapter 26

Betray Me Not

Professor Oh is at school the following Monday morning, preparing for her next lesson. Kris, Yoojin, Kyung Mi, and Yuri have already entered her room, their heads shamefully lowered in apology.

 

    “Thank you for getting me a cab,” Kyung Mi said, her cheeks blazing hot. “And I’m sorry for getting drunk in front of you, Professor. That was super disrespectful.”

 

    “I can totally buy you a diamond necklace or perfume or something to make it up to you,” Kris suggested, but Professor Oh threw him a death glare and he quickly shook his head.

 

    The only person who has not visited Professor Oh this morning is Kai, and that is because she already yelled at him back at his apartment.

 

    As Hana writes formulas on the board, gleefully recalling the memory of her kicking Kai squarely in the shin, there is a knock on the classroom door.

 

    “Come in!” she calls.

 

    The person who walks in the door causes Hana’s jaw to hit the floor.

 

    Sehun?” Hana shrieks, sprinting over to him. “What the hell are you doing here, ? You're not supposed to be here!”

 

    “Calm down!” Sehun exclaims. “I have to talk to you about something urgent. If it wasn’t important, why would I come here?”

 

    Hana folds her arms. “Fine. What is it?”

 

    “Let’s move,” Sehun says, and Hana narrows her eyes.

 

    “Why?” she asks.

 

    Hana’s brother exhales slowly. “Look, Hana. Are you aware of the fact that our parents have constantly been trying to call our home phone, and even visit our apartment?”

 

    Hana’s face goes slack. “What? I didn’t know that. Now that I think about it, I didn’t even know we had a home phone. I haven’t heard it ring in forever.”

 

    “That’s because I disconnected it a while ago,” Sehun responds. “After our parents visited you that one time, and you ran away, they were constantly trying to contact you.”

 

    “You should have told me!” Hana tries to say, but Sehun cuts her off.

 

    “Don’t give me that bull. I know you’re happy that I did that. Besides, if you really wanted to talk to them, you wouldn’t have blocked them on your cell phone. Right?”

 

    Hana blinks. “H-How do you know about that?”

 

    “Isn’t it obvious? Why would our parents try to call the home phone, and come to the apartment in person otherwise?” Sehun scoffs.

 

    Hana rubs her temples. “I’ve been away from home a lot recently. Maybe that’s why I haven’t seen our parents come to our apartment.”

 

    “They’ve only come once or twice.” Sehun informs his sister. “But Hana, I’m not kidding. We need to move. You have a stable income, and I’m going to look for a job so I can pay for my college. If you keep talking to Mom and Dad, it’ll just hurt you.”

 

    “But... they’ve done a lot for me,” Hana says uncertainly. “I can’t just stop talking to them.”

 

    “Hana, you’ve paid them back fully,” Sehun argues. “They’ve taken all of your prize money from all the competitions you’ve won, and they’re taking half of your professor’s salary, too. They have more than enough. Did you know they bought a new vacation home in Guam?”

 

    Hana claps her hand over . “Another one?”

 

    Sehun nods tersely. “Yeah. But that’s not the main problem, Hana. You know what will happen if you keep talking to them. They’re a terrible influence on you.”

 

    Hana sits down in her chair with a thump! She is silent. Sehun bites his lip, unsure if he should have brought up this subject.

 

    Finally, Sehun probes forward. “Hana... you should talk about it to me. It helps, honestly. I went to a therapist a few years ago, after I... took those pills. She said talking it out helps-,”

 

    Suddenly, the classroom door opens with a bang! Kai, Baekhyun, Kris, and Kyungsoo strut into the room. When Baekhyun, Kris, and Kyungsoo see Sehun and Hana near each other, their eyebrows shoot up. “Who’s your little friend, Professor Oh?” Kyungsoo mutters under his breath.

 

    Kai, however, blanches at the sight of his best friend. His eyes dart from Sehun’s face to Hana’s. What is Sehun doing here?, his eyes implore. What the hell is going on?

 

But Kai quickly composes himself.  “Professor Oh,” he says in a fake-smarmy voice. “I don’t think you’re allowed to have outside visitors in the school. Right, guys?”

 

    Baekhyun smirks. “Right.”

 

    The Oh siblings simultaneously raise their eyebrows.

 

    “I think,” Kai continues, “you should come with me. To the office. Outside.

 

    Hana’s eyes suddenly widen. Kai’s trying to cover for us so we can go outside and talk, she realizes. “O-Of course, Mr. Kim,” Hana stutters, sending looks of gratitude to Kai. Kai throws her an exaggerated wink before striding out the room.

 

Hana turns to Sehun. “Come on, let’s go,” she whispers under her breath.

 

Sehun looks appalled. “What is that Kai doing? Is he trying to get us in trouble?”

 

Hana rolls her eyes. “He’s not being rude, moron. He’s saving our asses.” And she drags Sehun out of the classroom.

 


 

    “What’s going on? Why’re you here, Sehun?” Kai asks in a low voice once the three of them are out of the classroom. They are standing in the middle of the commons area, a few hallways away from Hana’s classroom. The commons are empty and deserted, allowing Hana, Sehun, and Kai’s conversation to be kept private.

 

    “Hana and I have to move,” Sehun tells Kai. “Our parents have been trying to contact Hana for the past few months. This morning was the last straw; they came to our doorstep and demanded to see her.”

 

    Kai bristles at the mention of the Oh’s parents. “I’m sorry about that. But... Sehun... do you really need to get away from your parents that badly? I’ve met them and I know they’re obnoxious. But I’m sure if Hana talked to them a few times, they would go away-,”

 

    “No.” Sehun cuts Kai off. He clasps Hana’s hand protectively. “She can’t. It’s not good for her.”

 

    Kai furrows his eyebrows. “You’ve told me that plenty of times, Sehun. Why isn’t it good for her?” Suddenly, a memory flashes through his mind, from the time Sehun and Hana’s parents visited them.

 

“You put Hana through hell!” Sehun roars. “Constantly pressuring her, constantly harping on her to be better! I know about her therapy. And I know what Hana tried to do-,”

 

“Sehun, no.” Hana says, shooting up. There is a look of wild urgency on her face as she quickly shakes her head. “Don’t say it.”

 

“Hana was just-just being a teenager,” Mrs. Oh stutters. “All teenagers go through that phase-,”

 

“It wasn’t a phase,” Sehun growls. “You never think it’s your own damn fault.”

 

“Stop talking,” Hana says, her voice rising.

 

“Don’t you think there’s a pattern here?” Sehun shouts. “Both of your children tried to-,”

 

“ENOUGH!”

 

And suddenly, it hits Kai harder than a ton of bricks flying at his face.

 

“You tried to commit suicide,” he whispers. “Your parents pressured you so much, you tried to kill yourself.”

 

Hana is as still as a rock. A dull, monotonous sheen glistens over her eyes. Sehun tries to say something, but finds himself at a loss for words. Instead, he stares down at his feet.

 

“Yes,” Hana finally says. “I tried to. I was 18.”

 

Kai is utterly silent. Like brother, like sister, he thinks. Self-loathing begins to creep up on his insides. He screamed at Hana, yelled at her for ruining Sehun’s life and being the one loved the most by their parents and making her own brother try to kill himself when all this time she was suffering too and had to deal with him and her students on top of it-

 

"Let's just focus on the situation at hand," Hana says, cutting through Kai's thoughts. Her voice has taken on a hard edge. But Hana's harsh tone merely serves to mask the cataclysm of emotions swirling up in her chest right now. She dismisses her feelings, however; there is no time to ponder them.

 

She continues, “We need to find a way to avoid our parents. I can purchase another apartment somewhere with my money. But it’ll take time to sell our apartment, Sehun, and we’ll have to make preparations to move, and-,”

 

“You two can stay with me,” Kai says. When he sees Hana and Sehun’s incredulous looks, he hurriedly adds, “I have more than enough space. And all 3 of us are practically roommates already. I spend most of my time at your apartment.”

 

“Are you sure?” Sehun asks. “I don’t want to be a burden.”

 

Kai smiles. “Of course you won’t be. Don’t be stupid.”

 

“I am not living with you,” Hana says, a red blush creeping up her neck. She folds her arms. “That’s... no. And what if one of your idiot friends finds out, Jongin? Then they’ll tell the school, and we’ll be in deep . Plus... why would I want to stay with you?

 

“They won’t find out,” Kai says softly. “I’ll make sure. Okay?”

 

    Hana thins her lips. Normally, Kai would have given her a biting, witty comeback. Why is he being so gentle towards her? Is it because he feels sorry that he harassed her so much after she had already been hurt? Hana feels unnerved by this new Kai.

    But she merely nods, and replies, “Alright, then. Thank you, Jongin.”


A/N: I'm sorry for not updating in so long- my AP exams were last week and I had to study. I'm pretty sure I did great on them though!

But I couldn't write for the last few days because... Kris. This is the first time I have been feeling so sad in a while. I made a blog post about my views on the situation, so you can see that if you want. But I... oh my god. Kris. I can barely process this situation; it feels like a nightmare. 

I honestly don't know what to do with Kris in this story it hurts to write about him