Chapter 19

Betray Me Not

Kai hears whispers around him when he returns to school the following Monday.

 

    “Baekhyun, what’s going on?” he asks his friend uneasily.

 

    “Oh, nothing.” Baekhyun laughs. “People are just talking about the tournament. What happened with Professor Oh and stuff.”

 

    “Alright,” Kai says slowly, still not reassured.

 

    Suddenly, Kyungsoo hurries over to Baekhyun and Kai. “Hey, Kai, is it true?” he questions.

 

    “Is what true?”

 

    “You have a thing with Professor Oh.”

 

    “What?!” Kai exclaims so loudly that Kyungsoo and Baekhyun nearly fall over. “Where the hell did you hear that from?”

 

    Baekhyun coughs. “It’s just... some people are wondering why you ran over to Professor Oh so quickly when she got hurt. And a bunch of spectators said they saw you hug her.”

 

    “Are you kidding me?” Kai sputters. “That- that was because I wanted to make it look like I actually cared about her, so I wouldn’t get in trouble! And I didn’t hug-,”

 

    “Excuse me.”

 

    The boys turn around. Professor Oh is standing behind them, holding a Styrofoam cup of coffee. She has a cool look on her face.

 

Kai gulps.

 

    “Nice cast, Professor,” Kyungsoo smirks.

 

    Professor Oh flashes a sugary sweet smile at him. “It’s nice to know you like it, Mr. Do. I’m sure you also like the 50 you got on your last quiz.”

 

    And she strides away without sparing Kai another glance.

 

    “What a ,” Baekhyun mutters, and Kyungsoo nods fervently.

 

    “Class starts in 10 minutes, boys,” Professor Oh calls out, making Baekhyun and Kyungsoo jump.

 

    Professor Oh’s first period proceeds rather normally. Word seems to have spread about her dislocated shoulder. However, Professor Oh is not receiving the level of snide remarks and taunts she expected. Apparently her performance at the teacher-student tennis tournament caused even more people to fear her. She overheard a student whisper to her friend: “Don’t sass Professor Oh, or she’ll come after you with her tennis racket.” It took all of Professor Oh’s might not to burst out laughing.

 

    The bell rings, signalling the end of Professor Oh’s first class. As her students hurry out the door, she strides over to her purse and pulls out a pack of painkillers. Professor Oh’s upper arm feels like a million needles are being stuck into it. “Damn tennis game,” she curses, struggling to open the box. “If it weren’t for that shot my arm wouldn’t be hurting so much.”

 

    “Need some help?”

 

    Professor Oh turns around. Kai is leaning on her desk, watching her with an amused expression. Her upper lip curls as she throws the painkillers at Kai.

 

    “Open it,” she demands, putting a hand on her hip.

 

    “Fine.” Kai rips open a tablet and throws it back at her.

 

“Have you cooled down after yesterday?” Professor Oh asks, a bite in her voice. Kai narrows his eyes.

 

“I’m still pissed about how stupid you are,” Kai responds, crossing his arms. “Why can’t you listen to me when I tell you to stay away from Suho?”

 

“Why? He’s just another student. I can see why the staff likes him, too-,”

 

Hana’s breath catches in as Kai slams a hand on the wall next to her face.

 

“He’s pure evil, Hana,” Kai mutters in her ear. A tremor runs down Professor Oh’s back.

 

“Jongin, we’re still at school,” she hisses. “Stop.”

 

He smirks. “Make me-,”

 

Someone knocks on the door. “Excuse me?” a voice calls out.

 

Professor Oh and Kai jump away from each other an instant before a tall, long-haired girl walks into Professor Oh’s room. She freezes when she sees the two standing so close to each other.

 

“Is this a good time?” Yoojin says unsurely.

 

“I was merely reprimanding Mr. Kim for disrupting my class,” Professor Oh says in a placid tone. “Come in.”

 

“Alright,” Yoojin says, taking a seat in front of Professor Oh’s desk. Kai and Yoojin exchange a brief nod of acknowledgement.

 

Despite Yoojin’s poker-faced exterior, she’s nervous as hell. She’s about to ask Professor Oh to sponsor her club, for crying out loud. She doesn’t want to be on the receiving end of Professor Oh’s piercing rejections.

 

But I have no other choice, Yoojin tells herself, and takes a deep breath.

 

“Professor Oh, I would like to start a club that helps senior citizens in need. I wrote out my plans in detail here.” Yoojin hands Professor Oh a clear plastic binder. Professor Oh flips through the pages, taking note of the organized structure of Yoojin’s proposal. Kai peeks over Professor Oh’s shoulder.

 

“Looks interesting,” he remarks.

 

“Thanks.” Yoojin’s smile doesn’t quite reach her eyes. What is Kai doing here?, she wonders. Her stomach clenches.

 

“This looks really nice, Miss Lee,” Professor Oh says, nodding. “How long did it take you to put this together?”

 

“A-About... 2 weeks,” Yoojin stutters. Is Professor Oh complimenting her?

 

“Nice. I would love to be your teacher sponsor!” Professor Oh smiles. “It’s so nice to see the youth of Korea taking a stand and helping out elderly people!”

 

“Yeah, the Youth of Korea,” Kai snickers. Professor Oh throws him a shut-your-face-or-I-will-er-punch-you glare.

 

“Thank you so much, Professor Oh!” Yoojin breathes, bowing to Professor Oh rapidly. “I really appreciate it! I’ll notify the Student Council President right away! Then we can have the first meeting next week or something-,”

 

Professor Oh holds up her hands. “Wait, hang on. How many members do you need to start a club?”

 

“Uh...,” Yoojin bites her lip. “We need 5 members.”

 

“How many do you have now?”

 

“Well..,” Yoojin counts up the number of interested people in her head. Kyung Mi and Yuri... and me, of course...

 

“I have... 3 people?” she squeaks.

 

Professor Oh fixes a stern glare on the girl. “Yoojin, what is my policy on my classwork?”

 

Yoojin flushes. “If you don’t have the necessary requirements, then don’t bother turning it in. Also write in black pen.”

 

“Correct. So why did you come to me if you didn’t have the correct number of members?”

 

“Well, now she has 4 members.” Kai raises his hand. “Count me in.”

 

The looks of abject horror on both Professor Oh and Yoojin’s faces make Kai laugh.

 

“I’m sure that won’t be necessary, Mr. Kim,” Professor Oh says panickedly.

 

“Yeah, I can get some of my other friends,” Yoojin adds, but Kai shakes his head.

 

“Why?” he says arrogantly. “I want to join, so I’m going to join. I love helping geezers.”

 

Yoojin slowly closes her eyes, takes a deep breath in. “For the love of god, they are not geezers. They are Seoul’s most respected citizens.”

 

Kai shrugs. “Yeah. Geezers. And, oh, you needed a 5th member, right?” He pulls out his phone and presses a button.

 

“Please stop him,” Professor Oh whispers. “I get enough of this brat in the classroom. Don’t make me deal with him outside of it, too.”

 

“Hey, Kris!” Kai says into the phone. “Yeah, how would you like to join some geezer club?”

 

The sound of Professor Oh and Yoojin’s anguished screams echo through the entire campus.


A/N: Sorry for the lack of updates :( I had writer's block and I've been completely absorbed with Pokemon. This spring break has been great :) 

I feel like this story's getting a little more lighthearted, and I'm happy :D but there'll still be some drama lolol