Chapter 16

Betray Me Not

“Her right arm is dislocated,” Dr. Yoon tells Kai, who is sitting next to Hana’s hospital bed, clutching her left hand. Hana has regained consciousness. However, she wishes she hadn’t; it was a lot less painful being passed out. It feels like her entire shoulder area is literally flaming with pain.

 

She can barely string two thoughts together. Her mind is fuzzy with pain. Through her agony, however, she can feel a warm hand clutching onto hers. Is that... Kai?

 

Suddenly, the hospital room door opens with a bang! Sehun is hunched over on his knees, panting. When he sees his sister laying on the hospital bed, her arm sitting next to her body at an unnatural angle, he nearly collapses.

 

“What the hell happened?” he yells, storming up to Kai. “What did you do to her? I knew she shouldn’t have let her play in that tournament! Do you hate her that much, Kai?”

 

“I’m sorry,” Kai murmurs, hanging his head low. “I’m really, really sorry, Sehun. I didn’t mean to hurt her.”

 

“Are you two aware that the patient is in the room?” the doctor demands. “Be quiet, or else I will be forced to kick you both out!” He turns to Sehun. “Now, what relation do you two have to the patient?”

 

“I’m her brother,” Sehun responds abruptly.

 

"I'm her... uhh... student? I guess?" Kai says, scratching his head.

 

“Alright, then." The doctor clears his throat. "The patient's shoulder is dislocated. We’ll have to employ closed reduction to reattach her arm.”  

 

Sehun exhales slowly, pinching the bridge of his nose. “I can’t believe it,” he says quietly. “Hana...,”

 

“Sedumb,” Hana says weakly from the hospital bed. “Why’re you screaming, moron-,”

 

Sehun flies over to Hana’s side. “Thank god, you can talk! I thought you were dead.”

 

“You idiot,” Hana gives her brother a wavering smile. “Stop yelling.”

 

The doctor carefully takes Hana’s arm, making her wince. “Alright, Miss Kim,” he says. “I’m going to begin the procedure to reattach your arm, okay? It will hurt, so please bear with the pain.”

 

“Alright,” Hana pants, shutting her eyes tight. Kai rushes over to grab her hand- at the exact same time that Sehun does. Sehun bores a laser stare into Kai’s eyes.

 

“What do you think you’re doing?” he hisses.

 

“Uh, nothing,” Kai coughs, instantly backing away. “I’m just going to...watch.”

 

“One, two, three!” The doctor repositions Hana’s arm into the socket of her shoulder. She lets out an ear-splitting shriek that almost causes Sehun and Kai to collapse.

 

"Holy ing !” she screams in agony. “Goddamn, it hurts like a !”

 

Kai resists the urge to tease Hana about the colorful language spouting from . She looks too pained already.

 

And Sehun would definitely rip his head off.

 


 

2 hours later, Hana, Kai and Sehun are sitting in the Ohs’ apartment, watching reruns of a basketball game. All 3 of them are grumpily chomping on a large bowl of buttery popcorn. A shiny silver wheelchair sits in the corner of the room. Sehun practically forced the nurses at the hospital to issue her one. When they said it would cost extra, Kai immediately whipped out his Platinum Amex card.

 

“There was really no need for you two to get me this wheelchair,” Hana grumbles for the hundredth time.

 

“It’s the least I could do,” Kai sniffs, shoving another handful of popcorn in his mouth. “This is my fault.”  

 

Hana groans. “For the last time, it’s not even your fault! You literally just hit a tennis ball, and I jumped at it.”

 

“Yeah... but still.” Kai rubs the back of his neck.

 

“Wait... I’m still really confused on what happened,” Sehun says slowly. “So, Kai, you aimed the tennis ball to the far end of the tennis court, and Hana tried to leap for the ball... and then she fell on her shoulder and dislocated it?”

 

“Basically,” Hana and Kai say in unison.

 

Sehun crosses his arms. “Hana, you are so dumb,” he chides, causing his sister’s jaw to fall open in indignation. “Why did you try and hit that shot?”

 

“Because I wanted to win the point!” Hana exclaims. “This . If I hadn’t hurt my arm then I would’ve won the match!”

 

Kai tsks. “Uh, hate to break it to you, Hana, but it’s obvious that I would’ve won.”

 

“Oh, really?” Hana sneers. “I beat you on so many points during the second set. I would’ve won.”

 

“Sorry, but people with inferior tennis skills don’t win against me.”

 

“Inferior?! You’re inferior!”

 

“Are you two really going to start this now?” Sehun tries to interject, but Hana and Kai push him aside.

 

“Me and Joonmyeon’s teamwork would’ve demolished you!” Hana informs Kai angrily. He lets out a dry, sarcastic laugh.

 

“Oh, sure. Your backhand is so weak!”

 

“No it’s not! I have an awesome backhand!”

 

“Shut up!” Sehun roars, startling Hana and Kai. They guiltily sink back into their seats. “We have to deal with a more serious problem here!”

 

“How about the fact that my arm is literally stuck in this sling for 3 weeks?” Hana suggests snarkily.

 

“Exactly!” Sehun rubs his temples. “Now I’ll have to make food myself! And I’ll have to take care of you, too.”

 

That’s what you’re worried about?” Hana throws popcorn at her brother’s head. “Wow, thanks, Sehun. Really feeling the love.”

 

“Yeah, I know,” Sehun says, oblivious to Hana’s sarcasm. “Which is why I’m placing you in charge of meal duty, Kai.”

 

“What?!” Kai gasps, shooting up. “Why me?”

 

“You were the one that felt guilty about this!” Sehun responds, gesturing to Hana’s arm. “So get us food!”

 

“Sehun, you dolt,” Hana smacks her forehead. “Do you really trust Jongin with making us food?”

 

“I cook better than you ever can, you baby,” Kai mutters.

 

Hana scoffs. “Baby? I’m your professor! And 2 years isn’t that much of an .”

 

“Whatever, you fetus.”

 

“I’m going to wreck you, Kai,” Hana hisses, and Sehun has to physically restrain her from kicking Kai’s head off.

 

“Nyeh, nyeh, you can’t reach me,” Kai teases, sticking out his tongue.

 

Hana growls with annoyance and struggles to release herself from Sehun’s grip. “Sedumb, let go, I have to beat up-,”

 

Suddenly, the doorbell rings.

 

“I’m not getting that,” Hana and Kai say in unison. Sehun rolls his eyes and heads towards the door.

 

“Hello-,” he begins to say as he opens the door...

 

And freezes.

 

“Hana, my baby!” A tall, middle-aged woman with dyed brown hair shoves Sehun aside and hurries to Hana. A burly man follows close behind.

 

Kai raises an eyebrow as he sees Hana’s eyebrows widen. He can feel her tense up beside him as the man and woman envelop her into a big hug.

 

“What are you guys doing here?” Hana asks in a soft voice. She half-heartedly pats the couple on their backs.

 

Sehun still hasn’t moved.

 

“Don’t be so silly, my little genius,” the man grins, pinching Hana’s cheeks. “We rushed over here as soon as we heard you were injured. We are your parents after all.”


A/N: OMG it's Hana and Sehun's parents! o: Sorry for the lack of updates, guys! School's been awful. I have a ton of work, and on top of that, I have a really big state business competition next week, so I really need to prepare for that. But next Saturday, which is my birthday AND the last day of the competition, will be the start of spring break! I'll update every day during spring break! :)

I have so much fun writing how Hana, Kai, and Sehun interact LOLOL