8: the real high class

The Problem Children
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]

 

eight: the real high class

[/CONTENTID1] [CONTENTID2]

["I don't need to be able to create flames to set a building on fire."] [/CONTENTID2][CONTENTID3]

"So, now you know the Academia's little secret," Donovan said. "You have learned the identity of our mysterious East Wing."

Juyeon nodded. "High Class … they are 'Problem Children'."

"Now the remaining question is what to do with you."

Juyeon shivered. . Everything was coming to its . She learned their secret and now they were going to keep shut, one way or another. Her mind started racing with future possibilities of death, and the Problem Children weren't helping.

"Let's dump her on the Moon," Kai muttered sourly, staring moodily at his uniform shoes. Sore loser.

"I can think of a certain wind bearing Northwest at the moment that would love to pick her up and drop her off a mountain somewhere," Sehun added in a dry voice.

"Fires are always fun," Chanyeol said dreamily. Juyeon wondered if he was actually paying attention to their conversation or if he just assumed they were talking about their favourite methods of bringing death. "We could act out a classic witch burning. I could supply the fire."

Sumi also spoke up, sharp eyes staring piercingly in Juyeon's direction like a hawk. "I could rip out her tongue if you want to keep her alive."

Suho looked upset. "Guys, stop. You're scaring her!" He paused, then turned and said hastily to Donovan, "If you want her dead we could always drown her in the lake and make it look like an accident, sir."

Juyeon stared at them all in bafflement. How mentally unstable WERE these people? They were literally discussing her death as if it was the most casual thing in the world!

It's because they're monsters.

"All of you shut up," said Donovan with a weary sigh, as if it happened often. "We're not doing anything so dramatic. We'll simply reassign Jung Juyeon into the East Wing."

"Whaaaat?" They all whined. Juyeon's hand shot up. "W-with all due respect sir, I'd rather not. I-I can't pay the tuition."

"We'll pay for everything," Donovan said dismissively. "You don't need that silly old scholarship anymore."

Juyeon took a deep breath and set in a hard line. "Principal Lee, sir, I studied night and day to get that 'silly old scholarship'. I promise not to reveal the secret of the Problem Children, but please let me stay where I am. I … I … I don't want things to change."

Donovan's face fell at that. He sighed and looked at her with surprisingly gentle eyes. "I'm sorry, Jung Juyeon. I really am. But everything's already changed for you. The rule is that all normals will be placed in the East Wing if they know about the existence of Problem Children. It's not that I don't trust you, but there's nothing I can do. This rule has been passed down since the Academia was founded, and you are not the first normal child to discover this secret. Do you understand?"

Juyeon struggled to hold back her tears. "Yes, sir," she whispered, hand falling down into her lap.

"I am going to place you in Class 44, with these bums," Donovan explained. Sumi and Sehun looked irritated, Chanyeol and Suho kind of excited, and Kai continued to sulk. "And if you can act as a sort of guidance counsellor for them and keep them in check for me, I will write you a personal recommendation letter to any university you choose."

Juyeon went still. "Are you serious?" She said softly, staring at the principal.

"Completely. Keep an eye on this class of troublemakers and continue with your studies, and in return I will grant you a higher status than your grades will."

Juyeon's mind was racing, her former fears of death and change gone. A personal recommendation letter by the principal of the Academia himself? Universities will fall over themselves to accept her.

Juyeon thought this change would destroy her future. If she played her cards right, it just might benefit it.

"I suppose I will accept, sir," Juyeon finally said.

"Excellent," Donovan said, and he sounded like he knew what her answer would be anyways. "Sumi will take you to your new dorm, and all your personal items will be brought there by evening. You'll be sharing a room with Sumi."

"WHAT?" Sumi snapped, seething.

Donovan made an impressive show of ignoring her. "You are all dismissed. If you start causing trouble with Jung Juyeon, trust me, I will know. And you don't want detention."

The Problem Children all muttered variations of "yes, sir"s as they left the room. Suho paused at the door to beam at Juyeon. "Aren't you coming?"

Juyeon hesitantly followed after them. The others all ignored her and chatted amongst themselves, but Suho made an effort to talk to her.

"Class 44 is the best class," Suho said excitedly, as if trying to make Juyeon see it was a great choice. "We have the strongest PCs. We always win the Extracurriculars."

Juyeon took that to mean the fighting game she saw that day down by the lake. "Yes, I really care about that," She muttered to herself. Suho heard her anyway.

"No, this is really very good!" Suho explained. "Because the classes are always fighting with each other. If you, the normal, stick with us, we can make sure they don't kill you."

"Are you saying you can protect me?" Juyeon gave a short, sarcastic bark of laughter. She thought maybe the craziness of it all was finally going to her head. "You just told Donovan you would drown me in the lake!"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter