44: that chapter where everything you guessed starts happening

The Problem Children
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]

 

forty-four: that chapter where everything you guessed starts happening

[/CONTENTID1][CONTENTID2]

[“ How did I not know about this?”]

[/CONTENTID2][CONTENTID3]

”You’re kidding me,” Suji hissed as they crept down the winding pathways of the main courtyard. It was distinctly less pretty, with bare gnarled branches and a layer of snow. The sky was a wet, ugly white-grey of clouds swollen with rain. “You sneak into Sunset to get me, and you don’t even have a plan?”

”This is the plan,” Juyeon said sulkily. She didn't like the feeling of not being appreciated. "We're busting our balls to get you here, okay?"

”This is the worst plan I’ve ever seen, bar none. It’s not even a plan, it’s just escorting me through the front doors of High Class where any of your fancy servants and security cameras can see me, and for no reason whatsoever. It’s not like I can join High Class once you get me in.”

”But you don’t want to join High Class,” Juyeon said, realization suddenly hitting her. “Not really.”

Suji shot her a quick glance. “What are you saying?”

”I’m saying, you wanted to get into High Class for some reason. But it’s not for the benefits, isn’t it? It’s not for all those rumours about servants and fancy rooms and , and it’s certainly not for the education.” Juyeon couldn’t believe she hadn’t seen it before. Asking her to help her get into High Class as well was such an un-Suji thing to do, for a girl as confident and independent as herself, a girl who wouldn't ask for a favour like that from anybody. Enrolling into High Class like Juyeon supposedly did was just a way to get in ... but for what?

Suho, who had been quietly walking along with them and not getting in the way, finally spoke up. “Have I seen you before?”

Suji gave him a curious, if not unamused, look. “I don’t think so.”

Suho tilted his head slightly, staring intently at her. He was getting frustrated, Juyeon could tell. “I feel like I’ve seen you before, a long time ago.”

”Well, I don’t know you.”

Suho frowned, completely confused, and Juyeon remembered what he said once about having photographic memory. “That’s impossible. I never forget a face.”

Suji scoffed and turned away. “Aren’t you guys gonna get in trouble or whatever? Since they don’t want me to be here, or something like that?”

”We might,” Juyeon said. “But I want to know what’s going on. This is very confusing, and it kinda pisses me off the more I don’t know about it.”

Suji shrugged her shoulders. “Works for me, I guess. Your reasons work perfectly with my reasons, so I guess we both are a means to an end for each other. Just like we always have been.”

It was true, honestly. Juyeon had originally became friends with her out of convenience. Park Suji was smart and sarcastic and witty, without the usual sort of nonsense and bull the old, bitter Juyeon disliked in her classmates. They became friends mostly out of that same cynical mindset, looking down on the noisier and lazier classmates and using each other as a way to feel validated by their own self-worth. They used each other as study buddies and caf partners so neither felt as lonely as they actually were.

It sort of made Juyeon sad, to see Suji as unchanging and sarcastic as ever. Because Juyeon changed; she recognized her own destructive habit of pushing other people away, of hiding behind a mask of iness and disgust and tried to fix it. She had people to help her fix it. Suji was left alone.

Juyeon left her alone.

”It’s not just a mutual means to an end,” she said, stubbornly, and Suji turned to look at her in mild surprise. “I’m also doing this for you because you’re my friend. You asked me for help, and I’m going to help you. End of story.”

”Oh.” Suji swallowed, and she ducked her head slightly so her blue-streaked bangs covered her eyes. “I see. Thanks.”

”No problem.”

They reached the doors, and Suho looked around for a second before pressing his hand to the scanner and opening the door for them. “Alright, let’s go. Park Suji, it might work a little better for all of us if you tell us what you came here to look for.”

Suji wrinkled her nose, and Juyeon wasn’t sure if it was meant for Suho or meant for the utter hole High Class really was. To her credit, she didn’t show any surprise or disgust at the true nature of High Class, at the burn marks on the walls and rusting lockers. “It’s kind of personal, guy-I’ve-never-seen-before.”

”Alright then, go

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter